Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #101
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
It's not his fault. He had blood clots!

yeah it really is sad, for as much as i hated nebraska, tommie frazier gave me such a hard on as a kid..... the clots were the worst part cuz i think he definitely coulda been successful in the pros, he was much more than just an "option" qb

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #102
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
Is this guy HA serious with the I dont like black quarterbacks because Bs....uh okkk. Anyway Vick is not your prototypical kill you with the arm dropback QB but because of his running ability and cannon arm (not particularly accurate) he should be given every chance to start. I mean are you telling me they are going to find someone else that can match his (estimation)70% winning percentage when hes the starting quarterback. That stat alone should shut up all the haters.

My thoughts exactly. All the guy does is win and rally the troops.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #103
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
My thoughts exactly. All the guy does is win and rally the troops.

...and gets hurt, can't play full seasons and is a stat-hog.

why pass the ball when you can keep it, scramble for a 20 yard td and get more endorsements?

Last edited by Anthony : 08-30-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #104
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I like how you extrapolate a single occurence as if it has happened several times. If it happens again in the next 5 years I'll agree.

As far as being a ball hog, who cares? He runs the plays he's told to and wins games with how he executes them.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #105
Anthony
Banned

1. has played in 43 of a possible 64 games
2. has never had a 3,000 yard passing season
3. has never had a 20+ passing td season (most was 16)

if by "running the plays he's told to", i highly doubt his OC tells him to check off on his primary receiver and if that target isn't open he should tuck it in and run it in himself.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #106
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to run it more than you'd expect.

Anyways, bottom line, their record with him and without him speaks for itself. This argument isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-30-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #107
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
1. has played in 43 of a possible 64 games
2. has never had a 3,000 yard passing season
3. has never had a 20+ passing td season (most was 16)

if by "running the plays he's told to", i highly doubt his OC tells him to check off on his primary receiver and if that target isn't open he should tuck it in and run it in himself.
Actually, I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure I read at one point last season that he was being that he needed to run more.

As far as stats, the only one that matters to me is that we win a lot more when he's under center than when he's not--feels like more than we ever have in the 30 years I've followed the Birds.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-30-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #108
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I am pretty sury I remember Mora saying he needs to run more. But didn't feel like looking for a source so I didn't mention it .

Old 08-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #109
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm probably the only one, but I see Brady like intangibles with Vick. Maybe that's why I'm a fan.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
I'm probably the only one, but I see Brady like intangibles with Vick. Maybe that's why I'm a fan.

Almost Brady-like. Almost. The only real way to get full Brady-like intangibles is through proper schooling at The University of Michigan. Now, granted, not every athlete or student who attends the esteemed university graduates with these intangibles, but it is a prerequisite.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #111
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

HA if Mike Vick has an injury filled career then your argument will make more sense. We dont know that yet so the stuff about stats is really pointless. Who cares what his stats are if the team is winning 70% of the games in which he is the starting quarterback. How can you even continue to argue. Its like you are so stuck on the way you think things should be done or have been done in the past. He is not your prototypical quarterback but obviously his approach seems to be working.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HA if Mike Vick has an injury filled career then your argument will make more sense. We dont know that yet so the stuff about stats is really pointless. Who cares what his stats are if the team is winning 70% of the games in which he is the starting quarterback. How can you even continue to argue. Its like you are so stuck on the way you think things should be done or have been done in the past. He is not your prototypical quarterback but obviously his approach seems to be working.

Bingo. One season wiped out by injury doesn't make Vick an injury prone QB (remember he didn't play much during his rookie year... well, because he was a rookie). He just wins and isn't that what the game is about? In the two season he's started more than 4 games, the Falcons have gone to the playoffs. Most people will take that as a successful QB.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #113
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I know it doesn't fit in with the theme, but:

To the tune of 'My Sharona'

Ooh, Chmura, you had some fun, a little fun
Now you're gonna do some jail time, Chmura
Ooh, your motor mouth did run, jumped the gun
Tryin' to toe the right wing line, Chmura

Guess he couldn't stop, messed it up, such a dirty mind
He tried to rough it up with the young jailbaiting kind
My, my, my, my, my, whoa!
M-m-m-Mark Chmura

Look a little closer, huh, a-will ya, huh?
Hypocrisy's what we despise, Chmura
Look back at his history, and you will see
Attacked our President with lies, Chmura

M-m-m-Mark Chmura

M-m-m-Mark Chmura
Where is his apology, apology?
For spreading all that right wing slime, Chmura?
P-p-penitentiary, we foresee

Just stick to football games, do you mind, Chmura?
M-m-m-Mark Chmura

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-my, my, my, my, my, whoa!
M-m-m-Mark Chmura
M-m-m-Mark Chmura
M-m-m-Mark Chmura
M-m-m-Mark Chmura

(lead guitar solo)

Ooooooo-ohhh, Mark Chmura!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #114
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Concur, I mean every game that I watch Vick play TO ME it is obvious that he doesn't give a flying F.... about stats. He doesn't care if he is 20-22 for 400 yards or 7-18 for 114 yards as long as the Falcons win the game. For he and the Falcon's coaching staff and ownership THAT is the bottom line. Winning games.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #115
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Iloved that Price to Atl trade when it happened and I love it more now
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #116
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Price needs to come to the Colts. Not for this year, but for next year when we can't afford Reggie Wayne. He'd be a nice #2 behind Harrison. Especially with Peyton throwing him the ball.

Not that I see it happening ... but hey .... I'd like to get Corey Simon in a Colts uniform even more.

Edit: Holy crap, I looked it up and the Colts actually contacted him. I think we'll have to have someone restructure their contract to get him here though .... good luck with that. They also said the Ravens were in the running. For gods sakes, how much defense does 1 team need?

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 08-30-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #117
Philliesfan980
Banned

Eagles might have gotten a little too "We don't need you, and we'll show you" (thats the approach they normally take), with Simon. He's a hell of a player and a difference maker. They're going to miss him. I really hope they use the money for just as valuable as a purpose.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #118
Raven
College Prospect

Falcons fans,
What's the deal with Michael Jenkins? Is he a starter now, and how is he looking in preseason?

I'm asking for fantasy purposes.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #119
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Falcons fans,
What's the deal with Michael Jenkins? Is he a starter now, and how is he looking in preseason?

I'm asking for fantasy purposes.

Jenkins is the starter, and he is looking good so far. He is a good late round gamble, but he is still a gamble.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #120
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast

I got dibs.

Charlie Ward wasn't an NFL bust. He wasn't even an NFL talent. His options were the NBA or the CFL. He chose wisely.

He's no bust, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #121
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Does this make him Careerless Price?

(didn't rtft)

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:00 AM   #122
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked

Two of my all-time fav busts.

Took way too long for a Ki-jana sighting.

Oh, and btw, anyone who thinks Michael Vick would be a good HB is absolutely crazy.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 AM   #123
cody8200
High School Varsity

Antwaan Randle El was hands down a better college QB and would still run circles around Vick if he had gotten the chance. It didnt hurt that he ran a 4.3. ESPN named him the most electrifying player to ever play college football. If you had ever seen him live, you would see its true. Oh well, no reason to bitch about that. At least he'll finally be starting this year.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #124
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think Vick would make a better receiver. There have been a lot of guys who were QBs in college and were converted.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #125
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Antwaan Randle El was hands down a better college QB and would still run circles around Vick if he had gotten the chance. It didnt hurt that he ran a 4.3. ESPN named him the most electrifying player to ever play college football. If you had ever seen him live, you would see its true. Oh well, no reason to bitch about that. At least he'll finally be starting this year.

Watching Randle El was a real treat for IU Football fans who have suffered since Bill Mallory left.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #126
Daimyo
College Starter

Michael Vick is not a good passer, but I don't think you can succesfully argue that he's a bad quarterback. I think this is a good move for the Falcons because a deep threat isn't really worth the money for them given Vick's passing issues, but I also expect Price to catch on somewhere else and be a very productive #2 WR.

Last edited by Daimyo : 08-31-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 PM   #127
Ben E Lou

I just checked some stats..and they actually reveal one generally-accepted "truth" about Vick was actually a complete myth, and least in 2004...

Passer Rating: Vick (78.06) was below the NFL average (82.86) in 2004. No surprise there.

Completion Percentage: Vick (56.39) was below the average (59.79). Again, no surprise.

Yards Per Attempt: Here's where the surprises begin. Vick (7.206) was above the NFL average.

Yards Per Completion: Here's what may be a shocker to some, Vick's 12.78 average was well above the NFL's 11.79 average in 2004.

Without YAC numbers, we can't be sure, but those numbers sure appear to indicate that Price was playing in a system where the QB threw down the field more often than the norm.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #128
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I just checked some stats..and they actually reveal one generally-accepted "truth" about Vick was actually a complete myth, and least in 2004...

Passer Rating: Vick (78.06) was below the NFL average (82.86) in 2004. No surprise there.

Completion Percentage: Vick (56.39) was below the average (59.79). Again, no surprise.

Yards Per Attempt: Here's where the surprises begin. Vick (7.206) was above the NFL average.

Yards Per Completion: Here's what may be a shocker to some, Vick's 12.78 average was well above the NFL's 11.79 average in 2004.

Without YAC numbers, we can't be sure, but those numbers sure appear to indicate that Price was playing in a system where the QB threw down the field more often than the norm.

He definitely makes longer then average completions. The reason is because of the real reason his completion percentage is so low: he has yet to learn to put "touch" on shorter passes. His arm is very strong, and really not inaccurate, it is more he just throws too hard.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #129
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Craig Krenzel won his first 3 NFL starts.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 08-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #130
Kodos
Resident Alien

I watched NFL Network's: "In Their Own Words: Jerry Rice" last night. I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost half of the highlight footage they showed came against the Falcons. Of course, I loved it, because I got to see the wonder old red unis with the classic Falcon logo. Those were beauts. Today's Falcon unis are dreadful.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-31-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #131
JeeberD
General Manager

Price has been in Dallas the past couple of days talking to the Cowboys...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #132
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I watched NFL Network's: "In Their Own Words: Jerry Rice" last night. I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost half of the highlight footage they showed came against the Falcons.

Long live Charles Dimry!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #133
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Charles Dimry
That name is a cuss word where I come from.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #134
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Shouldn't it be "Falcons finally fish?"
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #135
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I watched NFL Network's: "In Their Own Words: Jerry Rice" last night. I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost half of the highlight footage they showed came against the Falcons. Of course, I loved it, because I got to see the wonder old red unis with the classic Falcon logo. Those were beauts. Today's Falcon unis are dreadful.

And whenever they show Barry Sanders highlights, most of them are against the Bucs...
Old 09-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #136
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
And whenever they show Barry Sanders highlights, most of them are against the Bucs...

And whenever they show Emmitt Smith highlights, most of them are against the Redskins...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #137
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

And whenever they show Scott Norwood highlights, it's against the Giants.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 09-02-2005 at 04:23 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #138
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Price has been in Dallas the past couple of days talking to the Cowboys...

Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys offered him a contract, but he turned it down. Hopefully, it wasn't a very big one.

Granted, I don't know a ton about Price, but I don't really see how he fits in with the Cowboys other than the obvious Bledsoe connection. Johnson and Glenn are the clear 1 and 2. That Patrick Crayton kid has earned the 3rd job and has looked outstanding. And Quincy Morgan is struggling to make the team as the 4 guy.

Is Price really that much better than Morgan to qualify giving him a significant amount more money? If so, that cuts Morgan from the team. Then, is Price willing to live with the fact that he's a 4 receiver, 3 at best.

Just doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #139
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums

I know its been said already but he was no bust, you have to make it to the NFL first. Tommy had blood clots that made it impossible for him to join the league.

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 09-03-2005 at 11:03 AM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:02 PM   #140
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Cowboys beat Patriots, Dolphins, Saints to Price

By John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Related Video:
Dallas Defeats Seattle 18-10

Price
The Dallas Cowboys won the Peerless Price sweepstakes Saturday, reaching agreement on a one-year contract worth $2 million.

The Cowboys beat out the Patriots, Dolphins and Saints in a competitive couple days of recruiting and negotiating with Price, who was released by the Atlanta Falcons in the cutdown to 65 earlier in the week.

Cutdown day, plus a trade
IRVING, Texas -- In addition to Peerless Price, the Cowboys have another newcomer -- linebacker Scott Fujita, who was acquired from Kansas City for a sixth-round draft choice in 2006 and a conditional pick in 2007. Fujita has started 41 of the Chiefs' last 43 games on the strong side and led the team in tackles the last two years. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has been concerned about depth at linebacker as the team converts to a 3-4 formation.

The most notable Cowboys among the 15 released Saturday were offensive linemen Kurt Vollers and Tyson Walter, defensive tackle Leo Carson, deep snapper Jeff Robinson and safety Lynn Scott, whose departure leaves only two safeties -- starters Roy Williams and Keith Davis.

The release of Vollers and Walter was a surprise because both were mentioned as top backups at multiple spots. Carson started 15 games last season but was squeezed out by the arrival of Jason Ferguson and the change to a three-man line. Robinson's job went to Jon Condo, one of 10 rookies to make the club.

Rookie safety Justin Beriault and second-year linebacker Kalen Thornton were put on injured reserve. Both have knee problems, with Beriault's likely requiring surgery.

Those relieved to make it include running back Marion Barber III, fullback Lousaka Polite and offensive lineman Ben Noll. Jose Cortez goes in as the kicker, although Parcells has repeatedly warned that's subject to change.

Veterans released included linebacker Keith O'Neil, recently added safety Rich Coady and safety Woody Dantzler.
-- Associated Press

On Friday, the numbers were at the $1.5 million level. The Cowboys finished the negotiations Saturday afternoon by offering the wide receiver $2 million for the season, including $500,000 in a signing bonus.

While the money was a factor in Price's decision, since Dallas' offer was considerably more than the other proposals he received, Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe should get credit for an assist in helping to get Price to sign.

Bledsoe has been essentially recruiting Price by phone for more than a month. The two played together in Buffalo, where the receiver was successful as the No. 2 option behind starter Eric Moulds. Bledsoe has stayed in close contact for much of the offseason, or ever since it became apparent Price's days in Atlanta were numbered.

The quarterback clearly believes that Price, who had a career-best season in 2002 (94 catches, 1,252 yards, nine touchdowns) when Bledsoe was throwing to him, is salvageable. Others around the league who feel Price still has quick feet but has lost some speed -- he was never as straight-line fast as some people claimed he was -- aren't quite as sure. But Bledsoe has lobbied owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells hard to bring Price aboard, probably as the No. 3 receiver behind starters Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn.

Price sat in Jones' owners box during the Cowboys' preseason finale against the Texans. Price had just visited with the Patriots and Dolphins, but the Cowboys continued pitching their team and Parcells.

Interestingly, Price told friends of his failed two-year tenure in Atlanta that he might never have approved the 2003 trade to the Falcons had he known he was "going to Nebraska." It was an allusion to the fact that, even with Michael Vick as the starting quarterback, a guy with whom Price desperately wanted to play when the deal was made, the Falcons are a run-first offense. The irony is that, in signing with the Cowboys, he will be going to an offense that is likewise run-oriented and in which second-year running back Julius Jones figures to be the centerpiece.

Patrick Crayton had beaten out Quincy Morgan for the No. 3 role, but that goes to Price unless he gets the opportunity to start.

Morgan might be among the team's final cuts.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #141
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Price is a moron... "going to Nebraska". What, did he think he was going to play "Run and Shoot" with Reeves as coach?!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 PM   #142
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

Good stuff.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #143
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

The Falcons may have passed the ball more if Price would have been worth a damn when he got to Atlanta. Instead, once he got his money, he quit trying.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 AM   #144
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Me, too. That is a classy good-bye. Of course, he was regularly slapped-down by the press, so I can understand the statement.
...and they continue to slap him down, even after he's gone.

From today's AJC (on the front page of the "NFL MONDAY" section):
Quote:
Price can't crack Cowboys' lineup
When Peerless Price left Atlanta his final words were "I hate y'all." How soon will it be until he feels the same way in Dallas? He was inactive for the third time this season as coach Bill Parcells has yet to find a role for him.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #145
Kodos
Resident Alien

Priceless!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #146
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Granted, I don't know a ton about Price, but I don't really see how he fits in with the Cowboys other than the obvious Bledsoe connection. Johnson and Glenn are the clear 1 and 2. That Patrick Crayton kid has earned the 3rd job and has looked outstanding. And Quincy Morgan is struggling to make the team as the 4 guy.

Just doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

This is about what I figured would happen. Whether they told him so or not, this seems to have been an "insurance" signing, just in case Glenn or Johnson got hurt. Glenn has been hurt nearly every season with Dallas so it's understandable, but I had a good feeling from the start there wouldn't be a place for Price unless that happened.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 AM   #147
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

It looks like Patrick Crayton has a broken ankle, so Peerless should move to the third WR spot.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:49 AM   #148
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

When does the Falcon "cut bait" on Dez White? He had four passes dropped yesterday, one he tipped up for an interception, and a holding call that negated a big play. He needs to be gone.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #149
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
When does the Falcon "cut bait" on Dez White? He had four passes dropped yesterday, one he tipped up for an interception, and a holding call that negated a big play. He needs to be gone.
He had a horrible, horrible game yesterday. No doubt about it.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #150
JasonC23
High School Varsity

As a Bears fan, I can say that I'm still mystified another NFL team thought Dez White was worth signing.