Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #101
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
+1
I was going to edit out parts of this that I couldn't resoundingly support. Yet I kept finding stuff that matched my opinion.

I too was a fan, I was only a Raider fan. I started to back down with the Marcus Allen affair. I was completely lost by the time of the Tuck Ruling. I warmed when Gruden roamed the sidelines, and then rooted against the Raiders in their last SuperBowl appearance.

Al Davis must go. Since he can't realistically be fired, I've got to hope he dies. Is that wrong?

You were never really a fan then. I may not like what Davis has been doing with the team, but they are still my team. Doesn't stop me from having other teams I like and will root for as long as doesn't effect the Raiders though.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #102
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
You could just hope that he gets declared mentally incompetent and has control of the team taken away from him. I think it is only a matter of time as he likely has some form of dementia, at least based on some of his football decisions.

I agree with this, and think it will happen in the next 3-5 years maximum.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #103
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Honestly Nite, your arguments keep getting worse and worse.

It makes me tink you have no knowledge of football or what it takes to build a winning football team.
I probably wouldn't go that far when talking about NiteMaestro's arguments, but there's one important point. NiteMaestro wants to give Al Davis a pass because of Al's history, yet he doesn't really seem to know Al's history. I think that makes it pretty hard to build a defense of Al.

NiteMaestro, what people here are trying to say is that Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing, and the recent results seem to suggest that also. The Raiders are the laughingstock of the AFC, and you could possibly say that they're the laughingstock of the NFL. At least people feel sorry for the Lions. I don't think anybody feels sorry for the Raiders. This is all pretty much because of Al Davis himself.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #104
Danny
Head Coach

Oh and the one aspect I still respect from Al Davis is that he wants to win. Even now, with him being incompetent and quite possibly even senile, he still wants to win probably as much or more than any other owner.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #105
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You were never really a fan then. I may not like what Davis has been doing with the team, but they are still my team. Doesn't stop me from having other teams I like and will root for as long as doesn't effect the Raiders though.

+1
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #106
Kodos
Resident Alien

When I saw this trade on NFL Network's little update bar, I was thinking that the NFL must have poor trading AI.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

people telling other people that they are or are not fans based on their own individual criteria of what defines a fan really pisses me the fuck off
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #108
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I probably wouldn't go that far when talking about NiteMaestro's arguments, but there's one important point. NiteMaestro wants to give Al Davis a pass because of Al's history, yet he doesn't really seem to know Al's history. I think that makes it pretty hard to build a defense of Al.

NiteMaestro, what people here are trying to say is that Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing, and the recent results seem to suggest that also. The Raiders are the laughingstock of the AFC, and you could possibly say that they're the laughingstock of the NFL. At least people feel sorry for the Lions. I don't think anybody feels sorry for the Raiders. This is all pretty much because of Al Davis himself.

As I said before, he has made mistakes, but when I look at this team on paper, when I look at the decisions he makes considering the time at which he made them...
It's impossible for someone to make 'that' many wrong decisions from insanity/senility. If he were crazy, there'd be at least some logic we could apply, some pattern to it that we could determine...
I don't see that.

I sincerely think that Davis is doing alot of things right, but random coincidences/unfortunate events/etc. bite him in the ass.

There is no way a team with that powerful of a rushing game should not be contending for at LEAST a .500 record. Why? It has long been clear that the run game is imperative to a successful team, as even the Cardinals only made it through the playoffs because they found their run game at last. With the backfield group they have, and the talent elsewhere, they should be doing much better than this.
This isn't like the Lions, who were ran into the ground by clearly bad decisions and backwards structuring...

The fact that they aren't shows me that something outside of Al's control is getting in the way. (and I don't mean 'other teams', for all you smart-asses out there).

Hell, I'm even willing to say that Russell's just THAT bad. I'd believe it.
But I can't put it all on Al... At least not yet.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #109
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
people telling other people that they are or are not fans based on their own individual criteria of what defines a fan really pisses me the fuck off

Then you're not really a fan of being a fan.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #110
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
I sincerely think that Davis is doing alot of things right, but random coincidences/unfortunate events/etc. bite him in the ass.

A lot of things right... such as?

And you tend to make your own luck. A pattern of random coincidences/unfortunate events/etc. is still enough to get most people fired.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #111
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Running back situation
Solid 'relatively' Oline
Nnamdi, risking a move from FS to CB is HUGE

just to name a few (at least that I can think of right now)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #112
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
A lot of things right... such as?

And you tend to make your own luck. A pattern of random coincidences/unfortunate events/etc. is still enough to get most people fired.

Well, for one, he bypassed Crabs the malcontent and took someone who will play this year
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #113
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Well, for one, he bypassed Crabs the malcontent and took someone who will play this year

... that he could have got 20 spots later. Just because the Crabtree situation isn't working out doesn't mean it wasn't a horrific pick.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #114
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - I should add in fairness that I don't hate the Seymour trade that much. Who knows what happens by 2011, and Seymour is still a very solid player. It's a young Raiders team, they could be half decent next season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #115
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Were you guys big Matt Millen (as GM/president) fans too?

And yes, I admire Al for going out and getting more running backs when he was already stocked there. Obviously having four 1000-yard type backs does wonders for the record.

To be fair, I do think they'd be better off with a better QB, and can't really fault him for taking Russell. Hopefully he can pull his head out, but not holding my breath. Wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia pull out another few wins.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #116
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

dola - yeah, I don't find this deal all that atrocious - IF they can get him signed and on the field. They desperately need some run-stopping help.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #117
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia pull out another few wins.

I would, considering he was cut a couple of days ago.

But seriously, was Tommy Kelly a waste of money? I never get to see Raiders games out here, it seemed like a lot of money for a guy without much track record.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Thread title fail. As if Al Davis needs to be asleep to have draft picks stolen from him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #119
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I would, considering he was cut a couple of days ago.

But seriously, was Tommy Kelly a waste of money? I never get to see Raiders games out here, it seemed like a lot of money for a guy without much track record.

Oh wow. Hadn't been into the football news the last few days. Good luck, Jamarcus, all on you now. Until they bring Jeff George out of retirement. Still has a hell of an arm, Al.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #120
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post

This isn't like the Lions, who were ran into the ground by clearly bad decisions and backwards structuring..

so the Raiders have made good decisions?

keep digging that hole
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #121
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree.

I mean, I'm a fucking life-long Lions fan, yet I have stuck with them through thin an thin. Sure, I get unbelievably mad and frustrated, but I couldn't root for anyone else. No chance.

I guess I'm kind of pathetic in that way. I pay $250 or so every year just so I can watch them. Last year they didn't win 1 game (obviously), yet I watched every minute of every game. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and I guess I agree.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #122
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If you make that many mistakes in a row, perhaps football is not for you

Quote:
As I said before, he has made mistakes, but when I look at this team on paper, when I look at the decisions he makes considering the time at which he made them...
It's impossible for someone to make 'that' many wrong decisions from insanity/senility. If he were crazy, there'd be at least some logic we could apply, some pattern to it that we could determine...

See I dont think insanity/senility means what you seem to think it means.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #123
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I agree.

I mean, I'm a fucking life-long Lions fan, yet I have stuck with them through thin an thin. Sure, I get unbelievably mad and frustrated, but I couldn't root for anyone else. No chance.

I guess I'm kind of pathetic in that way. I pay $250 or so every year just so I can watch them. Last year they didn't win 1 game (obviously), yet I watched every minute of every game. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and I guess I agree.

eh. that's your definition of what it means to be a fan...but who's to say that your definition is the only valid one?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #124
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
eh. that's your definition of what it means to be a fan...but who's to say that your definition is the only valid one?

I never definitively said what it is to be a fan.

I just said that I'm a loyal moron. I don't just get frustrated and quit on my team. If that was true in real life, I'd be divorced.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #125
molson
General Manager

Not psyched about this trade as a pats fan - sure it's a "steal" in a technical sense, but who cares about 2011 - the pats super bowl window is NOW.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #126
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not psyched about this trade as a pats fan - sure it's a "steal" in a technical sense, but who cares about 2011 - the pats super bowl window is NOW.
Their "Super Bowl window" has been 9 years and counting, and with the foresight they use I don't see why it can't be extended another 5-6 years. Keeping Seymour wouldn't have helped too much this upcoming season (he would be our 3rd best DL after Wilfork and Warren, and the backups are quite talented) and he was not going to be resigned for next year, so this trade is a slight loss for 2009, a wash in 2010, and a big gain from 2011-2015 or so.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #127
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

And they can still win one without him now, even if they are worse off this year. Thats the balancing act.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #128
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Matt Millen made several great picks (Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers, and the rest of the draft picks from 2002 to 2006), but it was just bad luck that bit him in the ass.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #129
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

No.

Really I was a Raider fan. My Only team. I nearly came to blows with someone who told me this once before. It was sort of a wake up call to let me know that if this discussion brought me to the edge of decking someone, that I I'd probably had a bit too much to drink that night.

To be fair, it wasn't his declaration that I "wasn't a really a Raider fan" that set me off. I was able to blow that off completely. It was when he defended Davis' handling of the Marcus Allen affair. More specifically, when he declared that Allen was the one at fault, and a "traitor".

I haven't turned my back on the Raiders. I've turned my back on Al Davis.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #130
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
... that he could have got 20 spots later. Just because the Crabtree situation isn't working out doesn't mean it wasn't a horrific pick.

Thats your opinion where he might have gone. I personally dont think he would have lasted that long. Who knows, it might end up being a terrific, not horrific pick. Only time will tell....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #131
Galaxy
Coordinator

I've heard that Richard hasn't reported to the Raiders yet. Is this true?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #132
JediKooter
Coordinator

This just makes me laugh. You can almost hear the sucking sound in Oakland as that franchise gets closer and closer to a singularity. A true black hole indeed...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #133
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I've heard that Richard hasn't reported to the Raiders yet. Is this true?

I've wondered what his reaction is to the trade. I can't imagine he's happy going from Super Bowl contender to Al Davis' Vanity Fair.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #134
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thats your opinion where he might have gone. I personally dont think he would have lasted that long. Who knows, it might end up being a terrific, not horrific pick. Only time will tell....

It was the opinion of A LOT of NFL people. It's why it makes the pick that more head shaking. It's not like he was widely deemed to be picked within even 5 picks later, so it's "kind of odd, but it's Al."

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #135
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
dola - yeah, I don't find this deal all that atrocious - IF they can get him signed and on the field. They desperately need some run-stopping help.

Agreed.
This should work nicely for them.

Quote:
so the Raiders have made good decisions?

keep digging that hole

Good? Maybe not.
Wise? Only time will tell.
Educated? Yes

In this sport, all we have to go on is speculation and some knowledge. Not all of Al's decisions were good, and only history will decide how wise they were. But they were definitely educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I agree.

LOL, you are a bit crazy... but remember, the word 'fan' came from the term 'fanatic' (at least if I remember correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Their "Super Bowl window" has been 9 years and counting, and with the foresight they use I don't see why it can't be extended another 5-6 years. Keeping Seymour wouldn't have helped too much this upcoming season (he would be our 3rd best DL after Wilfork and Warren, and the backups are quite talented) and he was not going to be resigned for next year, so this trade is a slight loss for 2009, a wash in 2010, and a big gain from 2011-2015 or so.

Iunno...
With Brady/Cassel, there was a situation awfully similar to Bledsoe/Brady... Belichik didn't pull the trigger this time, and one has to wonder if he's making a mistake...
Why?
Well, reading this made me think twice...
http://www.google.com/books?id=n15Qd...age&q=&f=false

Quote:

Agreed.
Remember, Al is a guy who doesn't care what pick he has. If a guy he likes is still there. He's taking him. He's not one to risk trading down and losing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
No.

Really I was a Raider fan. My Only team. I nearly came to blows with someone who told me this once before. It was sort of a wake up call to let me know that if this discussion brought me to the edge of decking someone, that I I'd probably had a bit too much to drink that night.

To be fair, it wasn't his declaration that I "wasn't a really a Raider fan" that set me off. I was able to blow that off completely. It was when he defended Davis' handling of the Marcus Allen affair. More specifically, when he declared that Allen was the one at fault, and a "traitor".

I haven't turned my back on the Raiders. I've turned my back on Al Davis.

Hm... While I don't necessarily agree, I understand, and respect that.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #136
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:

And yes, I admire Al for going out and getting more running backs when he was already stocked there. Obviously having four 1000-yard type backs does wonders for the record.

To be fair, I do think they'd be better off with a better QB, and can't really fault him for taking Russell. Hopefully he can pull his head out, but not holding my breath. Wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia pull out another few wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Matt Millen made several great picks (Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers, and the rest of the draft picks from 2002 to 2006), but it was just bad luck that bit him in the ass.

If you're just messing with me, then 'ha ha'...
If not...
Let's compare, shall we?
Let's also remember Millen had no management experience prior to this too...
But I digress. Millen 02-06
To Davis 02-06

[first, I want to establish that for me, there is a difference between a bust and a disappointment a bust does not produce, and doesn't stay in the league long (past his first contract). A disappointment still produces, generally at starting level, but is not the player he was 'supposed' to be. I.E. Vick is not a bust. He produced. Now if people thought he'd be a Manning kind of QB, then he'd be a disappointment. But not a bust. Make sense?)

First round pick(s)
2002... Severe disappointment. Almost bust, but was 'relatively' productive. Many believe it was due to lack of mobility behind a porous O-Line.
2003... Bust. Many already warned about his work ethic and maturity. Giving him money didn't help. Started bright, and injuries aren't predictable, but how you respond and recover to them are...
2004... Roy Williams... Ok. Well done. But no QB really, so. meh... Could be worse though, so I give 'em credit.
2004... Kevin Jones... Another solid pick. Injury prone, which is unfortunate/unforeseen, so I'll say this year they did alright.
2005... Bust... Mike Williams... Makes no sense. You already have 2 1st round receivers... Why? After he sat an entire year too (and had a lackluster combine to boot...)
2006... Ernie Sims... Finally. A wise pick. We'll see how he pans out, but he'll be a solid starter for some time IMO.

So of six picks, 2 busts, one severe disappointment, and a 'bad luck' case with Jones's injury. .125+0+1+.25+0+.5
1.875/6 we could say? 31%(ish)

Later picks? No one I've heard much about from my memory...
I'll assume mediocre at best.

Al Davis...
2002... Harris and Buchanon... Not bad, but still not 'pleased'
2003... Asomugha = Jackpot, especially considering he was moved from Safety to Corner. A VERY risky move. Brayton = Disappointment. Did okay to start, but instead of getting better, got kinda worse... Still plays though. Add in Fargas later on... Pretty good overall IMO.
2004... Galley = Disappointment. Busted as a Tackle, but looks better at Guard, so still serviceable... Besides that, he was seen as a great prospect by practically EVERYONE at the time.
2005... Washington = Not bad. Didn't fit though, so Disappointment. Add in Morrison though as a later gem, and Carr from free agency... Eh. Mediocre.
2006... Huff = Solid choice, and traded for picks/players? Can't complain.

So Raiders had... .5+.5+1+.25+.25+.25+.25+.25+.25+.5 (.5 = 'okay', .25 = disappointment or later pick bloom)
4/10? 40%
Not to mention, no real 'busts' either.

Last edited by NiteMaestro : 09-08-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #137
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Iunno...
With Brady/Cassel, there was a situation awfully similar to Bledsoe/Brady... Belichik didn't pull the trigger this time, and one has to wonder if he's making a mistake...
Why?
The Blueprint: How the New England ... - Google Books

Bledsoe != Brady.

Watching Bledsoe in 98, 99, and 00 was not easy to do. He was a low completion percentage, interception throwing deep ball passer. The opposite of Brady, and by extension the opposite of how Belichick wants his QBs to operate. Just because they play the same position doesn't mean you can switch the names around and say its the same thing. I really mean little offense by this, but have to ask based on your posting history in this thread: do you watch much football?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 09-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #138
Subby
lolzcat

NOT JUST CEREBRAL BUT VERY CEREBRAL
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #139
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

lol.

Not exactly.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #140
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Bledsoe != Brady.

Watching Bledsoe in 98, 99, and 00 was not easy to do. He was a low completion percentage, interception throwing deep ball passer. The opposite of Brady, and by extension the opposite of how Belichick wants his QBs to operate. Just because they play the same position doesn't mean you can switch the names around and say its the same thing. I really mean little offense by this, but have to ask based on your posting history in this thread: do you watch much football?

I was saying that simply based on what I read.
The attitudes that Belichick is taking/leaning towards now makes me wonder if it's similar to the one that the previous guys did in New England (in the locker room at least.)
That was all.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #141
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

What attitudes are you referring to?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #142
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Iunno...
Why?
The Blueprint: How the New England ... - Google Books
How much you want to wager on Brady vs. Cassell over the next 5 years, in terms of wins, passing yards, td's, games started, whatever. Let me know. I mean, Tom Brady isn't in danger of losing his job to Tyler Thigpen.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Good? Maybe not.
Wise? Only time will tell.
Educated? Yes

In this sport, all we have to go on is speculation and some knowledge. Not all of Al's decisions were good, and only history will decide how wise they were. But they were definitely educated.

This has to be a joke account.

How can you say time will tell?

I think time has already told us Al has lost it.

And how can you say educated picks? If by educated you mean who has the fastest 40 time or the strongest arm then ok, I see your point. I mean, why should decision making, fitness, are ability to learn the playbook matter, just chuck it up and let that speedy receiver who can't catch the ball run under it.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #144
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nite, how many wins do you think the Raiders get this year?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If you're just messing with me, then 'ha ha'...
If not...
Let's compare, shall we?
Let's also remember Millen had no management experience prior to this too...
But I digress. Millen 02-06
To Davis 02-06

[first, I want to establish that for me, there is a difference between a bust and a disappointment a bust does not produce, and doesn't stay in the league long (past his first contract). A disappointment still produces, generally at starting level, but is not the player he was 'supposed' to be. I.E. Vick is not a bust. He produced. Now if people thought he'd be a Manning kind of QB, then he'd be a disappointment. But not a bust. Make sense?)

First round pick(s)
2002... Severe disappointment. Almost bust, but was 'relatively' productive. Many believe it was due to lack of mobility behind a porous O-Line.
2003... Bust. Many already warned about his work ethic and maturity. Giving him money didn't help. Started bright, and injuries aren't predictable, but how you respond and recover to them are...
2004... Roy Williams... Ok. Well done. But no QB really, so. meh... Could be worse though, so I give 'em credit.
2004... Kevin Jones... Another solid pick. Injury prone, which is unfortunate/unforeseen, so I'll say this year they did alright.
2005... Bust... Mike Williams... Makes no sense. You already have 2 1st round receivers... Why? After he sat an entire year too (and had a lackluster combine to boot...)
2006... Ernie Sims... Finally. A wise pick. We'll see how he pans out, but he'll be a solid starter for some time IMO.

So of six picks, 2 busts, one severe disappointment, and a 'bad luck' case with Jones's injury. .125+0+1+.25+0+.5
1.875/6 we could say? 31%(ish)

Later picks? No one I've heard much about from my memory...
I'll assume mediocre at best.

I'm having a hard time following all of this and I have no idea what 31%(ish) means. Does that mean Millen hit on 31% of his first round picks? Uh...

Maybe he got "unlucky" with Kevin Jones' injury problems. And, sure, Roy Williams is a pretty servicable WR. But, remember, there is only ONE player from the 2002 - 2006 drafts still left on the team (Ernie Sims). ONE. There are calculations conceivable that can make Millen's performane as a GM anything but a complete and utter failure.

Even if Roy Williams is a good player, the fact that he is a first round pick that is no longer on the Lions means that he really wasn't a good pick for the Lions (the specific team that drafted him). The draft is about finding good players and building a team with them. Millen may have gotten lucky a few teams in the former (a very few times based on the number of players he drafted that are even still playing in the NFL), but completely failed at the latter.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #146
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
This has to be a joke account.

How can you say time will tell?

I think time has already told us Al has lost it.

And how can you say educated picks? If by educated you mean who has the fastest 40 time or the strongest arm then ok, I see your point. I mean, why should decision making, fitness, are ability to learn the playbook matter, just chuck it up and let that speedy receiver who can't catch the ball run under it.

You forget, these/we are kids!
The body does not fully develop until 23(ish)
and the brain does not fully develop until 25-27...
So they don't have worth ethic. Is that because of school? Their family influence? Their real personality?

Even when you 'know' something, it's still a gamble. So yes. These are all just educated guesses. Some moreso than others.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #147
Autumn
Head Coach

This thread is turning classic. Who knew Al had such love out there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #148
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I'm having a hard time following all of this and I have no idea what 31%(ish) means. Does that mean Millen hit on 31% of his first round picks? Uh...

Maybe he got "unlucky" with Kevin Jones' injury problems. And, sure, Roy Williams is a pretty servicable WR. But, remember, there is only ONE player from the 2002 - 2006 drafts still left on the team (Ernie Sims). ONE. There are calculations conceivable that can make Millen's performane as a GM anything but a complete and utter failure.

Even if Roy Williams is a good player, the fact that he is a first round pick that is no longer on the Lions means that he really wasn't a good pick for the Lions (the specific team that drafted him). The draft is about finding good players and building a team with them. Millen may have gotten lucky a few teams in the former (a very few times based on the number of players he drafted that are even still playing in the NFL), but completely failed at the latter.

31% according to the scale I used. Which is rather lax.
I didn't want to bash Millen too bad, but wanted to make a point that while Millen was completely and totally inept, Davis has had successes and faliures in the draft, but many more of the former than Millen.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #149
Atocep
Coordinator

I just want to be able to say I posted in a thread where someone defended Al Davis.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I didn't want to bash Millen too bad, but wanted to make a point that while Millen was completely and totally inept, Davis has had successes and faliures in the draft, but many more of the former than Millen.

Well, that bar is pretty low. Saying, "he's a better GM than Mat Millen", is sort of like saying "well, he's not as evil as Hitler!"

It's a pretty meaningless statement.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote