Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #101
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
What amazes me about these debates is that everyone always assumes that their side is going to be the only one using these powers.

For example, our health care system spends billions of dollars dealing with the effects of HIV infection. One of the greatest risk factors for HIV infection is male homosexual sex. Clearly, we have no choice but to ban male homosexual sex. Nothing against you gay people. It's just the health care costs. Honest.

Society and the law feel more strongly about some activities than others though, it's just a matter of where it falls on the scale. We could probably benefit society by strictly regulating who can reproduce and how many kids they can have, but we wouldn't accept that. On the other hand, most people find seatbelt laws to be a pretty limited intrusion for the benefits it provides society as a whole. Male homosexual sex is moving further up the scale of culturally protected activities all the time. I'm not sure exactly where soda falls, but it's definitely higher up than seatbells and lower than homosexual sex. Almost everything impacts society in some way, and direct v. indirect impact isn't a foolproof way of evaluating government interference either. There's all kinds of say, finance regulations, or environmental regulations that don't really impact you directly, you'll just deal with the indirect impacts of the regulation or lack of regulation.

Last edited by molson : 06-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #102
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i try not to look at it politically and imagine i was playing sim city

health advisor: 'mayor, your sims are too fat!'

( ) mandatory cpr training for all sims
( ) increase youth sports funding
(x) ban large soft drinks
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #103
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm not sure exactly where soda falls, but it's definitely higher up than seatbells and lower than homosexual sex.

Are you sure about that? I'll bet there are many areas where a proposition to ban homosexual sex would receive a lot more votes than a proposition to ban soda. There are probably at least a few areas where bans on things like mixed-race marriage and integrated schools would poll higher than a ban on soda.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

In that hypothetical world I think those bans would be much easier to enforce versus something done in private.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #105
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Are you sure about that? I'll bet there are many areas where a proposition to ban homosexual sex would receive a lot more votes than a proposition to ban soda. There are probably at least a few areas where bans on things like mixed-race marriage and integrated schools would poll higher than a ban on soda.

True, I guess here's cultural feelings AND legal protections. No state or city can legally ban homosexual sex, though they can ban or heavily regulate soda.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #106
spleen1015
Coordinator

They'll be able to ban homosexual sex if it is proven to cause diabetes.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Unlikely...gay guys are usually in pretty good shape.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #108
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Health panel talks about wider food ban - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

Quote:
MYFOXNY.COM - The board hand-picked by Mayor Michael Bloomberg that must approve his ban of selling large sugar-filled drinks at restaurants might be looking at other targets.

The New York City Board of Health showed support for limiting sizes of sugary drinks at a Tuesday meeting in Queens. They agreed to start the process to formalize the large-drink ban by agreeing to start a six-week public comment period.

At the meeting, some of the members of board said they should be considering other limits on high-calorie foods.

One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

Another board member thinks milk drinks should fall under the size limits.

"There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories," said board member Dr. Joel Forman.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #109
flounder
High School Varsity

This might be what finally puts an end to this. When they were just going to keep the poors from drinking soda it was fine, but banning Frappuccinos? This aggression will not stand, man!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #110
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...

Are you shitting me?

John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

What the hell is that?

John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

...Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a licence.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #111
JediKooter
Coordinator

They can have my buttered popcorn when they pry it out of my cold dead hands...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #112
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
...Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a licence.

Anything that is not forbidden will be mandatory.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #113
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I knew this would happen. You got to fight them for the first minor offense it is usually a pretext for them to go after something else.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #114
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...

Are you shitting me?

What the hell is that?

Fantastic movie reference that my kids would not have gotten. Good work.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #115
JediKooter
Coordinator

You mean they don't know the 3 Sea Shells?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #116
Drake
assmaster

Two things:

1. Wesley Snipes
2. Sylvester Stallone

There's no plausible scenario I can come up with that would convince kids between the ages of 14 and 21 that I wasn't full of shit when I said, "No, it's awesome! It's a riff on Aldous Huxley! Only with guns! And Denis Leary!"

They'd go live with their mother, and I wouldn't blame them.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #117
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

more good news

Quote:
Well, Chicago isn’t alone anymore. Hizzoner Michael Bloomberg in New York has decided to do his own version of the Chicago infrastructure bake sale; the city announced that it is putting up nearly 90,000 parking meters for lease. They’re expecting to get over $11 billion in upfront money from the deal, which is great news if you’re Mike Bloomberg, who gets to use that money to patch current budget holes instead of making tough cuts or raising taxes. The news is less awesome for the next half-dozen New York City mayors, or for the citizens of New York, who now will get to spend most of the 21st century grappling with its increasingly monstrous deficits with a major tributary from the city’s revenue stream shut off.

A New York parking meter deal, like the Chicago deal, would be a perfect example of the deeply cynical short-term thinking of many American politicians these days. These deals involve a sitting executive selling off a valuable piece of city property at a steep discount to private financial interests (often, to friends or campaign contributors), in order to solve a current cash flow problem that, surprise, surprise, will still be there the year after you finish spending the proceeds of your sale.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

These shady fucking deals shouldn't be allowed. Should never have been allowed in the first place, and I wonder if there's some way they could be legally overturned?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #119
JediKooter
Coordinator

Chicago! No wonder Al Capone loved that place.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #120
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've noticed my city doing stuff like this under the current mayor. My favorite was the downtown parkade they sold because it needed a few million in repairs and "we are not in the business of running parking lots". So what if the thing just rakes in cash with (repairs not withstanding) very little overhead? So they sold it off for some quick cash and one less immediate expense. Idiots.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #121
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

strange days. i fully expect our children to murder us.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #122
SteveMax58
College Starter

You all need to be kept alive for as many seconds as possible so that we can keep feeding the matrix. Not to mention...sugars cause power spikes on the matrix.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #123
molson
General Manager

Quote:

All we have to do is come up with some catchy nickname for our generation that ignores all the damage we caused. Then everyone will honor us and Tom Brokaw will sell lots of books.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #124
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Samaritans!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #125
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the sweatpants generation. no belt tightening required.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #126
JediKooter
Coordinator

Who are the dumb ones though? The voters or the politicians?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #127
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i'd call it a feedback loop of corruption and retardation
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #128
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Who are the dumb ones though? The voters or the politicians?

Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #129
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

The politicians are easily scared, but, they'll be back...and in greater numbers.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #130
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree with you in theory, and in this case, but what about the fact that the health of people in our society impacts everyone through insurance costs and care availability.? And what if we go to the next level, let's say New York or even NYC decides to provide universal health care that everyone's paying for. If I'm a voter or a legislator or a mayor at that local level, I can see trying to either force people to be more healthy, or maybe excluding people from the pool if they they live in such a way where they're a drain on the system. Now, banning certain sizes of soda in certain situations may not be an effective way to do that, but just talking the future, I can see more of these types of laws coming.

The moment we start charging big polluters for the costs they impose on others (wiki externality), or go after those who wantonly waste a public resource, well that is about when I think we should start thinking about those insidious soda drinkers.

Not to mention I think the 'whole insurance means the government has the right to run roughshod over your civil liberties' argument is weak. This is very indirect to be described as a some sacred public resource, especially when you have to make voluntary contributions of serious money to make use of it in most cases (the only thing arguably public is emergency room, and I'd be cool with attaching a debt system to the use of the emergency room where your life is filled with bills if you abuse it too much).

Get your noses out of everyone's elses business and focus on how to build your own and maybe we will get more jobs in this shit hole and people will stop wasting dollars as they argue over splitting pennies.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #131
flounder
High School Varsity

I thought this article about the NYC gay pride parade was amusing.

Quote:
Among those participating were Mayor Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who was accompanied by her wife. Quinn and her longtime partner were married last month.

Bloomberg had a message to the rest of America: "The government should get out of your personal life."

"New York is a place where you can do whatever you want to do," he said, before stepping off onto the parade route.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #132
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pot calling kettle...pot calling kettle...come in kettle...

Last edited by JediKooter : 06-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #133
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

What I don't understand is 'why ban them'? ....

In the current economic climate banning costs money in enforcement etc. .... as such why not instead just put a tax on fattening products as a percentage of their overall cost.

This would dissuade people from consuming such large quantities of them and at the same time (at least) be revenue neutral, possibly revenue positive if punitive enough.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There is so much win in this thread and I'm only talking about the Demolition Man quotes on this page. But this is definitely my favorite as it had me trying to hide my laughter at work:

Quote:

Also, don't get me started on the quickly increasing pace of privatizing important future revenue streams for quick bucks now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
What I don't understand is 'why ban them'? ....

In the current economic climate banning costs money in enforcement etc. .... as such why not instead just put a tax on fattening products as a percentage of their overall cost.

This would dissuade people from consuming such large quantities of them and at the same time (at least) be revenue neutral, possibly revenue positive if punitive enough.

A tax on sugar required approval from the NY State government. They refused to do so. So this is a creative way around that.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #136
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

This guy has no credibility what so ever.

I am a diabetic, my DOCTOR specifically told me to eat and I quote "All the popcorn you want as often as you want. its basically empty micro calorie snack food. put as much butter or seasoning you want on it. You won't get enough butter to hurt anything from even a large at the movie theater. if you want to avoid the butter put Parmesan cheese over it. All you like."

Direct orders from a physician to a diabetic patient.

These board members are clueless about the real issues facing people when it comes to weight and consumption.

If you're going to limit/ban sugary drinks you can't just hit soft drinks and milkshakes. you must also take in the quart sized lattes and other coffee offerings.

The whole thing in NYC is utterly ridiculous posturing and ignorance run amok among the mayoral lap lickers.

it will not help change anything with the possible exception of getting rid of the mayor come election time.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #137
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

I am a diabetic, my DOCTOR specifically told me to eat and I quote "All the popcorn you want as often as you want. its basically empty micro calorie snack food. put as much butter or seasoning you want on it. You won't get enough butter to hurt anything from even a large at the movie theater. if you want to avoid the butter put Parmesan cheese over it. All you like."

These board members are clueless about the real issues facing people when it comes to weight and consumption.

If you're going to limit/ban sugary drinks you can't just hit soft drinks and milkshakes. you must also take in the quart sized lattes and other coffee offerings.

The whole thing in NYC is utterly ridiculous posturing and ignorance run amok among the mayoral lap lickers.

it will not help change anything with the possible exception of getting rid of the mayor come election time.

Sounds like the dude is just parroting crap he's heard from people that think if you eat anything that is not 'natural', will kill you.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #138
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

Maybe it'll be like medical marijuana, you can get a card and get all of the popcorn you want

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #139
RendeR
Coordinator

Lulz, thanks abe, I needed that

Jedi: I think you may well be correct on that.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #140
Autumn
Head Coach

I have to question not being able to get much butter on popcorn. I've watched people melt down a half a stick, a whole stick of butter to put on a batch or two of popcorn. I don't think doctors, or anyone, should underestimate how far we will go to make our food taste "good".
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #141
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I have to question not being able to get much butter on popcorn. I've watched people melt down a half a stick, a whole stick of butter to put on a batch or two of popcorn. I don't think doctors, or anyone, should underestimate how far we will go to make our food taste "good".

Even if you melt down two sticks, only so much of it can cling to the popcorn when you're pouring it over. Now, if you drink the excess run-off (if it doesn't soak through the bag and onto your lap during the movie), that's another problem entirely. If you're going to do that, though, I recommend salting the hell out of it so the flavor in the butter really stands out...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #142
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm talking about home popcorn, not movie popcorn. I've never seen any significant amount of excess butter at the bottom of the bowl afterward, so I don't think you're getting much runoff.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #143
MacroGuru
Coordinator

This was officially passed the the NYC BOH today and if it succeeds will more than likely be adopted by the state and at that point of time...I might seriously consider where I live.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #144
JediKooter
Coordinator

I heard it's going on the ballot in NYC for people to vote on. Maybe I read wrong though.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #145
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Fantastic movie reference that my kids would not have gotten. Good work.

Makes note to force errr persuade his sons to watch Demolition Man this weekend ....

(we're finishing watching the end of the Lord of the Rings trilogy tonight )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #146
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I missed this quote the first time around in this thread

Now it gets a

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #147
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not Bill Walton@NotBillWalton
NY has banned over sized highly caffeinated concoctions full of food coloring and gas. So why is @realDonaldTrump still walking around?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Judge strikes down NYC sugary-drinks size rule
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #149
bhlloy
Coordinator

So big companies like 7-Eleven would be immune from the ban? I'm shocked I tell you.

Good for the judge. Even if I didn't disagree with the law vehemently, not allowing mom and pop corner store to sell something that the multi-national corporation next door can sell is blatantly ridiculous and discriminatory
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #150
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So big companies like 7-Eleven would be immune from the ban? I'm shocked I tell you.

Good for the judge. Even if I didn't disagree with the law vehemently, not allowing mom and pop corner store to sell something that the multi-national corporation next door can sell is blatantly ridiculous and discriminatory

The mom and pop shop would only not be able to sell it if it were a restaurant. A mom and pop convenience store, or bodega which is so popular in NYC, would still be able to.