Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #101
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Believe me, I went to college like you and wanted to save the world. Then I grew up and realized none of those guys with R's or D's next to their names really give a shit about saving the world they just want to create another program to get people to vote for them and keep them in office.

Maybe you will discover this someday. You already have discovered this about the Republicans. Some other posters have already discovered this about the Democrats. News flash: Maybe you both are right!!! Every arguement you guys make is what is wrong with the other side. Maybe you both are right???

Well one thing Liber's have in common with the D's and R's is each think they are better than everyone else
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #102
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Well one thing Liber's have in common with the D's and R's is each think they are better than everyone else

+1 and then some.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #103
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang View Post
I don't have a last name.

I thought it was 'The Conqueror'?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #104
Kodos
Resident Alien

I know we had Serak The Preparer.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
+1 and then some.

I just kind of look at them like college students who haven't discovered reality yet, figuring it will either eventually hit them or occasionally it never will (in which case they become Demoncrats anyway).
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #106
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I just kind of look at them like college students who haven't discovered reality yet, figuring it will either eventually hit them or occasionally it never will (in which case they become Demoncrats anyway).

Fits me to a tee! Libertarian in college, Democrat post-college. I doubt I will ever find reality.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Fits me to a tee! Libertarian in college, Democrat post-college. I doubt I will ever find reality.

Some would say that you already have.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #108
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

After having to deal with the State of Mass fuckers this was easy. I was pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive it was.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-17-2010 at 03:36 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #109
Autumn
Head Coach

I think people grossly overestimate the amount, or rather the completeness or usefulness, of information the government has. They also grossly overestimate how useful information found on the Internet is. As stated elsewhere I can find my contact info on the Internet, for about six places I've lived and no way to tell what is accurate. Thirdly, people overestimate how common it is to be a middle class person who uses the Internet. There are millions of people who virtually do not exist in any electronic form. They may live on cash, live with family, have never had a bank account or credit card, never been listed in a telephone directory. Put this all together and I think it's silly to think a census isn't needed (forget the fact that it is required).

I know my dad has gotten great use out of old census reports in doing our genealogy. The fact that it has birth dates, people living together, etc., is hugely important in piecing together any family trees. I don't have any problem filling in my birth date. I have a birth certificate, it's not like it's information I'm hiding from the government.

I wonder if people were as paranoid about the government in the 1890 census. Probably I suppose.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
No. I think it is a fucking waste of money. Read any of my previous posts in the thread or don't and make stupid generalizations instead. I don't give a shit about the questions, I have stated in almost every single post that I believe the government already has all of this information. Employing a bunch of people to do this job is yet another example of government waste. Believe me, I went to college like you and wanted to save the world. Then I grew up and realized none of those guys with R's or D's next to their names really give a shit about saving the world they just want to create another program to get people to vote for them and keep them in office.

Maybe you will discover this someday. You already have discovered this about the Republicans. Some other posters have already discovered this about the Democrats. News flash: Maybe you both are right!!! Every arguement you guys make is what is wrong with the other side. Maybe you both are right???

Your comment about kids in college made me laugh because as an adult back in school it is so true. I look at some of these kids and think , man are they stupid and in for a jolt.

As for the government already having the info, well, probably. But I would bet the cost to find a way to get that info all in one place would exceed the 15 billion the census is costing. Plus, a lot of the cost of the census is for employment so at least it is stimulating the economy in some way.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #111
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The sense of enlightenment is very similar.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #112
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It'll also be nice in 200 years when your descendents are doing genealogical research and what to know what you did, where you lived, where you moved around to, etc.

This is why I always put such a kickass job title on my 1040. I bet my descendants are going to be pretty impressed to learn that they have an international man of mystery in their family tree.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #113
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Yes, the census is expensive. Yes, a lot of the info is already obtainable somewhere about some people. But the constitution mandates that every person be counted, whether or not they are on gov't lists or such. This could be done cheaper via sampling, but the Supreme Court has said that is not allowed.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #114
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I know we had Serak The Preparer.

Yeah, but all he knew how to do was cook humans

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #115
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
This is why I always put such a kickass job title on my 1040. I bet my descendants are going to be pretty impressed to learn that they have an international man of mystery in their family tree.

Gold

SI

Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #116
BYU 14
Coordinator

We filled ours out tonight and under race options they have
  • Black, African American, Negro
Who even uses the word Negro anymore?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #117
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Kansas City Monarchs fans?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #118
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Ben had a post about this a few years ago.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #119
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I think people grossly overestimate the amount, or rather the completeness or usefulness, of information the government has.

Based on my experience with the government, I'll say that while they probably have, spread across multiple agencies, a lot of information, their ability to synthesize it is appallingly bad. Just bad in general, not even bad as compared to companies like Google or Amazon.

Quote:
They also grossly overestimate how useful information found on the Internet is.

Interestingly enough: How Privacy Vanishes Online, a Bit at a Time - NYTimes.com
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #120
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
As for the government already having the info, well, probably. But I would bet the cost to find a way to get that info all in one place would exceed the 15 billion the census is costing.

Currently, there are a number of privacy laws that prohibit the government from having one big, consolidated database with everything it may have a legitimate reason to know about its citizens. The Social Security database is an excellent example of this. It literally takes an act of Congress for another agency to get access to it. Is there anyone out there that really wants the government to have this kind of data at its fingertips?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #121
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Is there anyone out there that really wants the government to have this kind of data at its fingertips?

Meh. It really depends on whether or not you think the government is actively more evil than, say, Visa or the credit rating agencies.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #122
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Is there anyone out there that really wants the government to have this kind of data at its fingertips?

My name, date of birth and race?

The whole concept of a "legal name" is a government invention anyway. You need to go through the government to change it. You need to register it with the government when you're born, or when you die. It's a way to indentify us for "legal", government purposes. Every country has their own rules.

And I don't know why I should be scared that the government knows my date of birth and race. I'd be happy to tell anyone who asks.

Last edited by molson : 03-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #123
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I don't know why I should be scared that the government knows my date of birth and race. I'd be happy to tell anyone who asks.

June 13, 1978
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #124
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
June 13, 1978

I'll expect a birthday card.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Meh. It really depends on whether or not you think the government is actively more evil than, say, Visa or the credit rating agencies.

I'd rather none of the above have my information.

(Tho, again, the census information seems pretty innocuous)

SI