Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #101
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I don't think I can take my iphone much longer, now that the droid x has been out a few weeks what is everyones opinion on it?

Still love it?

My iPhone craps out- opens my apps about 1/2 the time, the other half they crash, slows as molasses- add to that the very limited 3g service around me and no service at any big event and I think I'm gonna finally make the switch.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My phone is olddddd. I'll need to be making a switch later this year.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #103
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I don't think I can take my iphone much longer, now that the droid x has been out a few weeks what is everyones opinion on it?

Still love it?

My iPhone craps out- opens my apps about 1/2 the time, the other half they crash, slows as molasses- add to that the very limited 3g service around me and no service at any big event and I think I'm gonna finally make the switch.

I've been very happy with my Droid X and really liked Verizon's service as I traveled around Southwest Utah. The phone is awesome.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm seriously considering the new BB Torch. The pretty comprehensive review over at Crackberry has me hopeful that it is a big step forward, although I think BB will always stick with the business-first, casual consumer second-type market.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #105
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm seriously considering the new BB Torch. The pretty comprehensive review over at Crackberry has me hopeful that it is a big step forward, although I think BB will always stick with the business-first, casual consumer second-type market.

It's grabbed my attention and definitely would be #1 on my BB list. Storm didn't remotely interest me, need the keyboard.

From what I've read here and there it's just miles behind the latest iPhone and Droid. Hopefully this is just the entry and the second version is the real competitor.

Quote:
although I think BB will always stick with the business-first, casual consumer second-type market.

I think home user smart phones are getting to ubiquitous for this(not saying RIM will change though). And the funny thing is, in the work place Blackberry phones are a far larger pain in the ass to support than Droid, WinMo and iPhone. They don't have the monopoly any more, they need to fall in line and do a much better job of integration.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-06-2010 at 10:10 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #106
Ksyrup

I don't know the technical issues, but I know our IT department had a fit over support issues with the iPhone when it was first introduced. Maybe it's gotten better/easier to support, I don't know.

The shortcomings they talked about in the crackberry review really didn't bother me. I don't care that the video recorder doesn't appear to be as good as it could be, or that webpages come up 2 seconds later on it compared to iPhone (when it will be a monumental improvement over what I have now), or the lack of apps (which would be nice but all I really use it for is business/personal email and surfing the web). The new OS is a substantial improvement.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #107
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Either you are running a extraordinarily low rent mail system or your IT department doesn't have very good resources available to them . iPhone(and the other I mentioned) work out of the box with no needed configuration. They could have thrown a fit before they realized this I suppose. It only doesn't work if it was locked down at some point to specifically prevent them from connecting, which I suspect is what Kristin ran into. Generally an end user can get it to work without any help from IT, unless it has been locked down.

Blackberries you need a completely separate dedicated server running RIM software and a lot of security customization on the mail server to get the two to talk. As well as licenses for every Blackberry device. I can't believe they still require that when all their competition requires no extra server, software or licensing.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #108
Ksyrup

I don't think it had anything to do with linking up, I think it had to do with encryption and security that is required for our business. That may have changed over the last year or so with newer iPhones, but I believe that was the main issue originally.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #109
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone used the tethering feature on the Droid, how well does that work?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #110
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I purchased pdanet for tethering, 1 time $20. Works like a charm. Is of course dependent on your signal. If you have a strong signal there's not much of a difference between a hard link and 3G. Flakey signal it's a little frustrating, but gets the job done in a pinch.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #111
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with linking up, I think it had to do with encryption and security that is required for our business. That may have changed over the last year or so with newer iPhones, but I believe that was the main issue originally.

Having worked several years internally within IT snowing the business units, I can almost promise you they didn't want to support something new or different(which is fine, enough on their plate, especially something "Apple"). When that's the case you trump up "security concerns", scares the big wigs and no one knows better. Encryption then, as now, is through SSL certificates. Same as just about everything these days.

Anyways, getting off topic .

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #112
Ksyrup

Like I said, I don't know any of the specifics. But just a cursory review of a bunch of articles I googled shows significant security concerns as a reason a lot of businesses would not support iPhone.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #113
Ksyrup

Maybe I'm mixing issues, but isnt' the middle eastern ban on RIM the result of network encryption issues? Isn't that precisely the advantage RIM has over others (apart from in countries where they want to monitor business communications)?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #114
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

All smart phone communication is encrypted, the RIM fiasco is politics.

Anyways, not really interested in discussing this further here. Way off topic and I don't feel like giving lessons.

edit: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67246V20100803

Example of politics. RIM allows some governments access to encrypted information, UAE is pissed it's not them.

Quote:
RIM is in an unusual position of having to deal with government requests to monitor its clients because it is the only smartphone maker who manages the traffic of messages sent using its equipment. Other smartphone makers -- including Apple Inc, Nokia, HTC and Motorola Corp -- leave the work of managing data to the wireless carrier or the customer

All encrypted blackerry communications get relayed through RIM. Other phones is kept between phone and internal company servers. RIM can exploit this and tap into communications. Other phones can't.

So in actuality it's what I would consider a weak spot in security with Blackberry phones UAE is pissed they are not allowed to exploit. Encryption for other phones is handled internally by the IT team, not managed and sniffed on by the carrier.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-06-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #115
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I purchased pdanet for tethering, 1 time $20. Works like a charm. Is of course dependent on your signal. If you have a strong signal there's not much of a difference between a hard link and 3G. Flakey signal it's a little frustrating, but gets the job done in a pinch.

That'd be nice- save the $20 per month from upgrading to that. When using it, can you still get calls and texts- I'd assume it's just like browsing the internet on your phone?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #116
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Your data connection will drop once a voice call is active on Verizon, limitation of their 3g. Can't use data and voice simultaneously. AT&T's 3G can, so it may be different there.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #117
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Good to know, but I assume that is with the same with pdanet and verizon's tethering charge. Thats not a major issue for me
Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #118
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Well, its official, the iPhone wins, hands down.

iPhone users have more sex partners - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #119
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post

That's not fair, it includes the fact that all iPhone users are getting fucked by AT&T.

/ericstangel
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #120
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
That's not fair, it includes the fact that all iPhone users are getting fucked by AT&T.

/ericstangel

so so true
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #121
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have an HTC Evo?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #122
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I don't get the AT&T hate. Myself, or anybody I personally know with an iPhone, have zero problems. We don't live in heavily populated areas, but we are all within 100 miles of Boston or New York, so maybe there is excellent coverage in this area?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #123
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've never understood it either Marmel - I've had a great experience with both my iPhones (original and 3GS) and really consider them the best phones I've ever had, by far. Others may feel the same about an Android phone, which is fine too.

At the end of the day, it's just a phone, right? I don't get the hate in either direction.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #124
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I don't care, I just thought it was a good joke.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #125
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I don't care, I just thought it was a good joke.

Oh it was definitely a good joke - no question.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #127
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, my understanding is that simply coverage is not their problem. Which is why I laugh at how they are still promoting the national ATT coverage map. Their infrastructure can't handle the load in large cities.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #128
bhlloy
Coordinator

AT&T in LA is also pretty terrible. I think 2 out of my first 3 calls were dropped.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #129
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anyone have an HTC Evo?

I do.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #130
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
... AT&T data won't work in the Verizon Center during a hockey game. ...

The irony...

Yes, yes, I know. I'm using the Alanis Morisette definition.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #131
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Waiting to see if we get the HTC Desire here in the US...

How's the Evo rjolley?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #132
Groundhog
Coordinator

Got my HTC Desire a week ago. Loving it, nice change from the iPhone 3G I had for the past 2 years.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #133
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Got my HTC Desire a week ago. Loving it, nice change from the iPhone 3G I had for the past 2 years.

Fuck you!!

Lucky bastard!!!

I've seen the reviews online - it looks great. I just would hate to settle for an HTC Evo if the Desire was coming soon, ya know?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-16-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #134
rjolley
College Starter

I like it a lot. Very nice screen, runs everything I need it to, no real issues.

I do wish the battery life was longer, but since I'm rarely away from someplace I can charge it, it doesn't bother me too much.

The Epic 4G (Sprint's Samsung Galaxy) that's coming soon looks like a very good phone as well. I'm interested to see it in action.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ah, I don't think I can ever get another device that eats batteries again. Though the EVO just looks so nice. 4G will probably never be in my area either.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #136
rjolley
College Starter

Where are you? From your location, I'd guess Miami.

I've heard Sprint is steadily adding more areas to their 4G coverage.

I wouldn't get the phone for 4G though. I'd get it for the larger screen, faster processor, and any other feature of it you like. Or grab the Epic 4G. Sprint's 4G is nice and fast, but isn't the selling point of the phone, for me.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-16-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Near Youngstown, Ohio actually.

Last edited by stevew : 08-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #138
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wife and I are waiting for our Droid X'es to show up. Should be quite the upgrade from our current LG flip phones.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #139
rjolley
College Starter

stevew: Hmm, I thought I saw somewhere that some places in Ohio were being done, but I don't remember where.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #140
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Just curious, what were your issues with the iPhone? I have several friends with Android phones who never had iPhones and love them and I was considering switching next summer when my iPhone contract ends... (I'd like a 4.3 inch screen and hotspot functionality)

However, in the last month or so two of my friends switched from iPhone 3G to Android phones and both really regret it so I'm really curious about the experience of others who have switched from iPhone to Android...

Last edited by Daimyo : 08-16-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #141
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I called around to see if the Droid X was anywhere around here- and they are all sold out and are not expecting any more until the end of the month, so I'm going to be waiting a little while longer to get my new phone.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #142
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, our wait was listed as something like 2 to 3 weeks when we placed our order on Saturday the 7th. So probably another week of waiting for me. I got my screen guards and protective case today though...

Not all that exciting, I must say.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #143
molson
General Manager

Got my Droid X today. It's the first time I've had anything resembling a smart phone.

With all this talk around here about gay marriage, I have to wonder - what would the legalities be regarding my desire to marry my new cell phone?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #144
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I ordered the X on the 4th of August. The ship date was supposed to be the 19th and I got it on the 10th.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #145
Kodos
Resident Alien

Damn it. I've been home all day. I decided to go get a soda at the deli down the road. Was gone for 10 minutes tops. And the stupid FedEx guy showed up while I was gone. I saw him when I was driving out and driving back. Arrrrgh.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #146
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My droid finally got the OS upgraade. Can't really tell any big difference, a minor UI tweak, but it synchs my external email *finally* so thats a good thing.

edit: ooh! there are now 5 screens instead of 3. nice

Last edited by Toddzilla : 08-18-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #147
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
My droid finally got the OS upgraade. Can't really tell any big difference, a minor UI tweak, but it synchs my external email *finally* so thats a good thing.

edit: ooh! there are now 5 screens instead of 3. nice
Which phone are you using? I got 2.2 on my nexus back in May or June. The first thing I noticed was the major speed increase, especially when opening apps.

Edit* I see that you are using the original droid upon further inspection lol

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 08-18-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #148
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I got an Evo yesterday. So far, I am truly impressed with speed and responsiveness. I am sure there is much more I don't even know about it yet. However, the Hotspot feature is excellent so far:
1) Within a minute, my laptop was connected wirelessly and connection speed was nice.
2) My kids were able to play Call of Duty on XBox Live last night connected to my phone. Now THAT was something I wasn't expecting it to be able to handle.

So far... so good. So very good...

Note: I have not been able to get it linked in to 4G yet. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong. When I turn 4G on, it does find a signal and pretty good strength. However, the indicators at the top of the phone still indicate 3G. I need to figure out what else I may need to set. So the performance I outlined above was at 3G speed.

Last edited by tyketime : 08-18-2010 at 04:26 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #149
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks View Post
Which phone are you using? I got 2.2 on my nexus back in May or June. The first thing I noticed was the major speed increase, especially when opening apps.

Edit* I see that you are using the original droid upon further inspection lol
yeah, boy it seems to be behind the curve doesn't it?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #150
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I got an Evo yesterday. So far, I am truly impressed with speed and responsiveness. I am sure there is much more I don't even know about it yet. However, the Hotspot feature is excellent so far:
1) Within a minute, my laptop was connected wirelessly and connection speed was nice.
2) My kids were able to play Call of Duty on XBox Live last night connected to my phone. Now THAT was something I wasn't expecting it to be able to handle.

So far... so good. So very good...

Note: I have not been able to get it linked in to 4G yet. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong. When I turn 4G on, it does find a signal and pretty good strength. However, the indicators at the top of the phone still indicate 3G. I need to figure out what else I may need to set. So the performance I outlined above was at 3G speed.
Geeze, how well did xbox live work through 3g? I have considered doing this since the only internet connection I have is through my phone, but the 0.5 -1.0 mbps connection has dissuaded me from even trying.