Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #101
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Looking forward to Andrew McMahon's new EP (of Jack's Mannequin, Something Corporate)

It came out on April 30 in case you didn't know.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Ghost (now known as Ghost B.C. in the US, due to legal reasons) put out a new record last month. Personally I don't think it's anywhere close to as consistent as the first one, but it's still got 3-4 good songs....and of course it's still gloriously, ridiculously Satanic.

Saw the front man as a presenter on the Golden Gods the other night. Kinda like King Diamond in a really big hat
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #103
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It came out on April 30 in case you didn't know.

Aware, just haven't gotten to it yet.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #104
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
King Diamond in a really big hat

I think we can safely assume that was 'Plan C' in the name-change kerfuffle.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Once again treating this thread as sort of a catch-all for music stuff ...

Front man for As I Lay Dying arrested tonight, charged with soliciting an undercover detective to kill his estranged wife.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - AS I LAY DYING Singer Accused Of Hiring Hitman To Kill Estranged Wife

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-07-2013 at 10:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #106
britrock88
Pro Starter

Circling around a wee bit, I did get the chance to see Jeff Mangum in Chapel Hill ~1 year ago on his first non-Polish folk solo tour since the mid-late '90s. He's on his game; I can't imagine NMH disappointing.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think this has been mentioned here yet (sorry if I'm duplicating), but since I seem to recall there are some King's X fans that visit the thread, I'll share.

This is new from Pinnick Gales Pridgen ... as in Dug Pinnick (King's X), Eric Gales (former blues guitar child prodigy now grown up) and Thomas Pridgen (ex-Mars Volta).

I'm not particular down with what appears to be social commentary here or whatnot, but this is a pretty tasty groove. Very smooth stuff.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #108
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Funny thing I've seen today, figured it fit the music minds that usually visit this thread.

You've probably figured out that I pay closer attention to the various charts than the average Joe, just a lingering interest of mine from the old radio career. But with the advent of nearly constantly updating info from Mediabase, funny things can happen. Case in point a couple of songs that were very busy overnight.

Around midnight last night the latest from Another Lost Year ("Writing On The Wall") was #49 on the Active Rock chart, the latest from Baroness ("March To The Sea") was #50. By 7am, Baroness was at #46 and AYL was #47.

The difference is pretty simple. The 7 day/24 hour window for counting spins had dropped off a few hours where stations hadn't yet added those singles & brought in a few hours that were nearly a week after they got added (drop/add day is typically Monday).

And I saw that happen despite being nothing more than a schmuck that knows a couple of different places that post the charts once a week + noticed that one of the bands posted a screen grab from a different time. I can only imagine what pros who subscribe for detailed access actually see.

That's a far cry from the not-all-that-old-days when there was basically charts that were only etched in stone once someone finished compiling the reports from the stations that were faxed in. I wonder how many songs now actually spend an hour or so in the top 20 or 40 or 50 but then slip beneath those benchmarks never to return, leaving them officially uncredited with ever hitting them?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #109
Suicane75
Coordinator

Listening to Steely Dan, album by album for the first time ever. Katy Lied is such a brilliant record.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #110
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Listening to Steely Dan, album by album for the first time ever. Katy Lied is such a brilliant record.

!!!

Good on ya!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely over the moon with the studio version of "Lift Me Up". And I've still only heard the radio edit version.

Five Finger Death Punch f. Rob Halford is actually even better than I expected (after the live awards show debut). Of course I can't share it yet since the official lyric video won't be ready until tomorrow around noon.

I've literally listened to this song 9 times in the last 24 hours, I can't remember when I did anything remotely close to that intentionally.

edit to add: Looks like it took 'em 'til about 12:05 pm to get it uploaded

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #112
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Song Premiere: Toad the Wet Sprocket Find a 'New Constellation' | Music News | Rolling Stone
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #113
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #114
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Oooooh. This makes me happy.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #115
korme
Go Reds

Saw the Postal Service in Columbus last night, 10 years in the making. It was awesome.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #116
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Saw the Postal Service in Columbus last night, 10 years in the making. It was awesome.

that album is still among the ones i listen to in it´s entirety at least once a month.

not much new that i´m listening to right now, however i just discovered (for me) the brilliance of Florence & The Machine

one of my favourite live tracks ever. Amazing voice and delivery, great atmosphere and crowd.
The lyrics of the song get all the more powerfull in this setting, like the tempo much more than the faster studio recording.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-13-2013 at 07:03 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #117
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

She has an amazing live voice.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #118
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Never has so many people wanted to make out after hearing the national anthem.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still just anxiously awaiting the release of the first of two new 5FDP albums.

Interesting how the attempted hype by Avenged Sevenfold -- featuring cryptic social media posts, slightly too cute webpages, etc -- have had an opposite effect on my anticipation. I've already had concerns about what the first new album post-Rev would bring, I think all the attempt at hype without a single or significant sampling has heightened rather than lessened my concerns.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #120
QuikSand
lolzcat

I like the new Vampire Weekend a great deal.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #121
Bad-example
College Starter

Walking In The Green Corn - Grant-Lee Phillips

I've enjoyed every cd I've bought by GLP but this one from last year is a huge sleeping pill. Disappointing.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #122
Bad-example
College Starter

Wrote A Song For Everyone - John Fogerty

Some CCR and solo songs redone with guest artists, heavy on the country. A little bass-heavy on the mixing board but still a good listen. Most surprising: Kid Rock and John do a pretty damn sweet version of Born On The Bayou.

Overall, a pretty honest recording with a bit of a live feel to it.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #123
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Now on Kickstarter. While only quick clips, the music they do play sounds good.

New Studio Album from Toad the Wet Sprocket! by Toad The Wet Sprocket — Kickstarter
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The long-awaited much-anticipated next track from A7x was revealed this morning. The best I can say is the crowd goes mild.

I'm not particularly bothered by the drumming (which seems to be the biggest topic amongst fans so far), I'm just overall unimpressed with the song itself. It's not bad by any means really, it's just so many miles from epic that it's a let down. I won't prejudge the album based on the first single, but definitely not encouraged either.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #125
BYU 14
Coordinator

I love Amanda Brown's voice, she does Grace Potter proud

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #126
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The long-awaited much-anticipated next track from A7x was revealed this morning. The best I can say is the crowd goes mild.

I'm not particularly bothered by the drumming (which seems to be the biggest topic amongst fans so far), I'm just overall unimpressed with the song itself. It's not bad by any means really, it's just so many miles from epic that it's a let down. I won't prejudge the album based on the first single, but definitely not encouraged either.

It's pure paint by numbers that's been done many times before. Top flight drumming couldn't save that.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's pure paint by numbers that's been done many times before. Top flight drumming couldn't save that.

And the (probably obvious) problem that creates is so-so material versus higher expectations. The last album was an enormous success, it catapulted them from somewhere in the pack to clear cut headliner that put butts in seats.

The goal would be to grow from that point or at least maintain it, IF this is indicative of the album (and I'm not at all sure that it is, might simply be the most radio-friendly track) then at best they're going to be trying to hang on to their peak and will rather quickly be living on their reputation & their catalog. This does absolutely nothing to build on their potential at all.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another downer note for me was this blurb from the band this morning (I don't think I knew this previously)

Quote:
This Fall we'll be heading out on our "Hail to the King" tour and taking Deftones and Ghost B.C. along for the ride.

I wouldn't give you fifty cents for listening to either of the acts that'll be touring with them. The former is just boring as hell to me, the latter is simply a mediocre gimmick wrapped around an okay (if I'm generous) band.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #129
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I love Amanda Brown's voice, she does Grace Potter proud

Based purely on voice, she should have won season 3 of The Voice. I was pulling for Nicholas, because he was something different for singing competitions, but she went out a couple of rounds too early.

Went to see The Black Keys with The Flaming Lips opening for them last Friday. Concert started about 80 minutes late due to the weather. I'd say about half the people didn't make it in until The Flaming Lips were almost done with their set.

The Flaming Lips were by far the better part of the show. I really enjoy the Black Keys, but they just aren't the type of band that works well in a large, outdoor area. They need to be playing a medium sized stage at Bonnaroo or a decent sized theater. A drummer and guitarist doesn't make for the most exciting show. The Flaming Lips were excellent, but they only played about 40 minutes. I would have preferred they just flipped the bill, but I doubt 95% of the bros in attendance had ever heard of The Flaming Lips before.

Although, I can report that my neighbor in his mid 50s went specifically to hear The Flaming Lips.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #130
korme
Go Reds

Had a 3 day weekend in Cinci at Bunbury Music Festival. It was awesome. This band called 21 Pilots (stylized: twenty | one | pilots) was definitely the best performance. The lead singer climbed up a 60 foot high scaffolding during one of his songs, no harness, nothing, obviously the crowd went nuts. I was sold.

Other noteworthy performances were MGMT, The National, Fun., Walk the Moon.

That said, if I saw a beer right now I'd vomit.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #131
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I reallllllly wanted to go to Bunbury to see The National last night but I was in a wedding on Saturday and was too hungover. Really regret not going.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #132
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Not much of a Elvis Costello fan, but The Roots make everything sound far better than it should be.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hot off the presses (or whatever videos come from, the editing table I guess) ...
Local band that just graduated 2 members from HS (and IIRC recently had the youngest member get his drivers license) takes a major step forward in their sound.

Keep an eye on these guys, mentored by an uncle that's a veteran of the 80s regional scene, this might very well be the first -- but not the last -- time you hear from them.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #134
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I feel like it goes without saying, but the new Queens of the Stone Age album is brilliant, and IMO likely their best. It is a REALLY good album. David Bowie also has a new one out, quite good as well. He hasn't lost a step, IMO. Some of it sounds like David Byrne with Bowie singing. Just good stuff. Somewhat disappointed with the new Alice in Chains album, though I still need to listen to it a few more times to get a real read on it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #135
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Had a 3 day weekend in Cinci at Bunbury Music Festival. It was awesome. This band called 21 Pilots (stylized: twenty | one | pilots) was definitely the best performance. The lead singer climbed up a 60 foot high scaffolding during one of his songs, no harness, nothing, obviously the crowd went nuts. I was sold.

Other noteworthy performances were MGMT, The National, Fun., Walk the Moon.

That said, if I saw a beer right now I'd vomit.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #136
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I don't post much in these threads as I'm sure my musical tastes fall well outside of the statistical norm here, but...

Former drive by truckers co-lead man Jason Isbell recently released his new solo project, after completing an extended rehab stint, 'Southeastern' ...he has a great voice, and some of the coolest lyrical ties I've heard in years.

If you like alt country/folk/blues music it's worth a listen.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #137
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I don't post much in these threads as I'm sure my musical tastes fall well outside of the statistical norm here, but...

Former drive by truckers co-lead man Jason Isbell recently released his new soIo project, after completing an extended rehab stint, 'Southeastern' ...he has a great voice, and some of the coolest lyrical ties I've heard in years.

If you like alt country/folk/blues music it's worth a listen.

Yes! I really like this record outside of "Super 8" which reminds me of a Hayes Carll song. Outside of that one song, this record is outstanding.

Have you heard John Moreland - In the Throes yet? It's my favorite of the year so far and very much in the same genre as the Isbell record.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #138
britrock88
Pro Starter

Decided to put up Loggins and Messina's "Angry Eyes" against Poco's "Crazy Eyes".

Both are at least seven minutes long.
Jim Messina left Poco and eventually joined forces with Kenny Loggins, releasing "Angry" in '72.
Richie Furay wrote "Crazy" about fellow country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons, and Poco released it in '73.
Stephen Stills was involved with both of the albums the songs appeared on, as was Rusty Young.

In the end... Poco wins.

Last edited by britrock88 : 08-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #139
Suicane75
Coordinator

So I started some renovations after the storms last year and I just sort of realized that I haven't had my stereo in here for almost a year now, which means I've heard just about NOTHING new.

I think the new Josh Ritter is the last thing I got. So that being said, can anyone recommend some of the new releases for someone whose playlist most of the year has consisted of old Drive By Truckers, Wilco, Dr. Dog and Rufus Wainright.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #140
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I think the new Josh Ritter is the last thing I got. So that being said, can anyone recommend some of the new releases for someone whose playlist most of the year has consisted of old Drive By Truckers, Wilco, Dr. Dog and Rufus Wainright.

You'd probably like the Jason Isbell then. Also look for a band called Pickwick, they put out something earlier this year that you may like based on what you put down. I'll try to think of some others.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #141
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm hearing big, big things about this new album. If this track is any indication, it could rival their debut.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #142
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am, right this very second, listening to this:

Having a little flashback time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #143
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

I'm hearing big, big things about this new album. If this track is any indication, it could rival their debut.

I'm a huge fan of these guys, and the lead singers solo work on the soundtrack to an excellent movie called Submarine was very impressive. He's getting better with time, but I like that the band is constantly evolving without trying to reinvent the wheel.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #144
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
(Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know)

Already sick of this due to Sirius XMU playing it every 3 hours or so, but that's just personal. Carry on.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #145
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I loved their first album, their repetitive song format is wearing on me.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #146
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sigh. Agreed on Mumford & Sons.

Been looking for some new music. But the stuff that's been brought up in this thread that's more...my speed...I either already have or wasn't all that into.

I think I need to do a "suggest an album" thing soon. I got some really good tips last time I did that.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #147
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Sigh. Agreed on Mumford & Sons.

Been looking for some new music. But the stuff that's been brought up in this thread that's more...my speed...I either already have or wasn't all that into.

I think I need to do a "suggest an album" thing soon. I got some really good tips last time I did that.

/tk

This band might be up your alley.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #148
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
(Mumford and Sons)

...but the video is pretty great.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #149
path12
Coordinator

Boy, I don't listen to a lot of current top 40 stuff but that Blurred Lines song is just catchy as fuck.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #150
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Yes! I really like this record outside of "Super 8" which reminds me of a Hayes Carll song. Outside of that one song, this record is outstanding.

Have you heard John Moreland - In the Throes yet? It's my favorite of the year so far and very much in the same genre as the Isbell record.

I downloaded Moreland but never listened. I've got 4 hours in the car tomorrow I'll throw it on.

I'm actually a big fan of super 8, both because of its catchy nature and also the backstory...it's essentially the intro to rehab the last week and story of isbell's removal from DBT...

That said, I'm actually a big Hayes Carll fan with Beaumont probably being in my top 50 all time tracks.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote