Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #101
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can't blame him. I love football, but I have my own misgivings about it.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Ed Cunningham, a longtime ESPN CFB color guy (and Washington alum from the '91 National Championship team) has quit, mainly due to his concerns about the safety of the sport:

Bye.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #103
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Ed Cunningham, a longtime ESPN CFB color guy (and Washington alum from the '91 National Championship team) has quit, mainly due to his concerns about the safety of the sport:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/s...T.nav=top-news

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bye.

Ah. Classic Jon. A guy who quits because he doesn't want to feel complicit in the long-term damage done to players' health on the field gets dismissed with "Bye". But left-wing coach tallies or players kneeling during the anthem: now THERE are some compelling reasons to quit a sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
12, apparently, based on ESPN's urgent need to update that headline.
It's the #1 story on the right hand links portion of their page.

Whomever decided that they needed to keep a running count of this stuff can die in the same fire with the idiots doing it. It's literally finished off what remaining interest I had in the NFL, just as the left-wing coaches tally has killed off the NBA for me now.

Yay, sports.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-30-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I see not much has changed around here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #105
Kodos
Resident Alien

Whoa. A Ksyrup sighting! How've you been?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #106
tarcone
Coordinator

He cited Iowa's CJ Beathard as the straw that broke the camels back. Let me tell you, every Iowa fan is on his side. that was a ridiculous thing the Iowa staff did. we were getting smoked and we kept trotting out our injured senior QB because, as our HC said "He deserved to be out there."

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #107
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Doing well enough to show my face around here, I guess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #108
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Ah. Classic Jon. A guy who quits because he doesn't want to feel complicit in the long-term damage done to players' health on the field gets dismissed with "Bye".

I think there's more hype than reality in the whole issue frankly, with a bunch of doctors trying to get their name in the news for fifteen minutes. We've seen it years ago with pro wrestling, why would it be any different here?

If he wants to go, he's free to go (hence the "bye") ... but nobody particularly gives a fuck that he's leaving. As a wise old office manager was fond of saying "put your elbow in a bucket of water ... now remove your elbow & look at the hole that's left ... that's how much you'll be missed when you leave".

This is a perfect example of that concept.

Quote:
But left-wing coach tallies or players kneeling during the anthem: now THERE are some compelling reasons to quit a sport.

There's a limit to how many clueless, worthless fuckwits anything is worth putting up with. The NFL has grossly exceeded that number.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #109
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For Power 5 Teams the athletic department budget is totally separate from public funds.

I cant speak 100% to all smaller schools, but Im not aware of any that public funds subsidize athletic departments.

That's BS and you know it if you take off your parochial booster hat. As of s few years ago, according to USA Today, 23 div 1 public schools are self-sufficient. It looks like like from 2011 to 2012, subsidies increased by $200 million - while academic departments were being cut, merged or closed.

Public institutions' mission is not to provide professional entertainment to the masses.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #110
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's BS and you know it if you take off your parochial booster hat. As of s few years ago, according to USA Today, 23 div 1 public schools are self-sufficient. It looks like like from 2011 to 2012, subsidies increased by $200 million - while academic departments were being cut, merged or closed.

Public institutions' mission is not to provide professional entertainment to the masses.

I don't claim that schools spend appropriately across the board but many of those schools that aren't self-sufficient are that way because the non-revenue sports are predictably enormous drains on AD budgets.

Rutgers has an enormous subsidy but the football program reported a $3MM profit last year, and that's with only getting a tiny share of the eventual B1G payout and included about $3MM in severance for Flood and his staff.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote