Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #1451
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Maybe someone is doing the math on what type of comp picks some of these guys can eventually convert to and/or they could consider doing a sell-off for drat picks shortly after they peak. I'm interested to see how this plays out long-term, but I feel like there are ways it could work if fans/ownership allow for a tremendous amount of player/identity turnover.

Like if the Steelers went all-in this year, presuming it is Ben's last, they could probably recoup some high picks for guys like TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and some of their skills guys.

Doesn't it require teams to be willing to buy at high prices on the other end? Otherwise, you're paying, say a 2nd and 3rd round pick for 2 players for 1 season and then selling them for a 4th and a 5th, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #1452
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Doesn't it require teams to be willing to buy at high prices on the other end? Otherwise, you're paying, say a 2nd and 3rd round pick for 2 players for 1 season and then selling them for a 4th and a 5th, right?

SI

I'd like to think that every team has a handful of guys that are worth some 1st - 4th rounders. I don't know these guys contract lengths and who knows how well they will age and/or further develop, but say the Rams compete for a title the next 2-3 years, can they get something back for a then 30-year old Jalen Ramsey, 33-year old Aaron Donald, 31-year old Cooper Kupp, 30-year old Darious Williams, or maybe Stafford (who will be 36) + whatever else you manage to uncover and develop in that time period? If they do end up winning, I think a tough part would be parting with legendary, franchise players.

I'm not sure of the answer, but I would like to see.

I know the Steelers roster better and could envision TJ Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Najee Harris, Pat Friermuth, and Chase Claypool all being 30 or under in 2-3 years and being worth some 2s or 3s to people if they keep on their current trajectory. It would have been interesting to see the Steelers go all-in and pick up a few offensive linemen this past off-season and go for it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #1453
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Twitter saying Ruggs is OK. I really hope he wasn't going 120 or something stupid

The invincibility of the youth.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #1454
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It is an interesting discussion. I think it has been a buyers market for a long time now and it is interesting to see the Rams use it to their advantage. Really am surprised more teams don't do it, even if it is just to add some depth during a long season.

Would the complexity of the salary cap be an issue with why we don't see more trades? Signing bonuses spread out over years, etc might make it trickier than we think.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #1455
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It is an interesting discussion. I think it has been a buyers market for a long time now and it is interesting to see the Rams use it to their advantage. Really am surprised more teams don't do it, even if it is just to add some depth during a long season.

Would the complexity of the salary cap be an issue with why we don't see more trades? Signing bonuses spread out over years, etc might make it trickier than we think.

The other thing is teams (at least most teams) dont trade or release capable players very often. Therefore, when someone is available for a trade it suggests the team trading him sees something they dont like. There are exceptions (J. Ramsey and M. Fitzpatrick) but generally if a player is good at something, they stay with that team, at least through their contract. Other reasons to leave usually are related to disgruntlement but then your potentially brining a cancer into your locker room.

To be clear, the rams are getting 32 year old Von Miller, not 25 year old Miller. He had 8 sacks in 15 games last year and 4.5 in 7 this year. That has got to be close to replacement level numbers, maybe slightly better.

I'm just not surprised more teams don't do this. The allure of draft capital and a healthy salary cap can keep you relevant for a longer time than going "all in" like this.

Of course, in the end the only thing that really matters is do you have a capable QB. The rams currently do, so it makes everything else seem better.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #1456
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Raiders released Ruggs. It seems like it usually takes a little more time for teams to assess the situation (I assume get their legal ducks in a row), but either Mark Davis is not playing around or the evidence must be really clear with this situation.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #1457
miami_fan
Coordinator

The decision seems like an easy one, especially when dealing with a non-QB.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #1458
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The Raiders released Ruggs. It seems like it usually takes a little more time for teams to assess the situation (I assume get their legal ducks in a row), but either Mark Davis is not playing around or the evidence must be really clear with this situation.

There are videos of the crash scene. Looks pretty clear cut what happened. Obviously can’t see that he was intoxicated or driving around 100 MPH before the crash but that is all easy enough to prove.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #1459
miami_fan
Coordinator

New Orleans Saints WR Michael Thomas out for season after setback in ankle recovery

Not surprising.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #1460
spleen1015
Coordinator

Rogers out this week after testing positive for COVID. He's not vaxxed.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #1461
Kodos
Resident Alien

NFL should make simple rule: Not vaccinated? You don't play.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #1462
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

I'm thinking the latter. Everyone's innocent until proven guilty, but unfortunately what I've read so far indicates there's not a whole lot of room for likely reasonable doubt here.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #1463
molson
General Manager

He said earlier that he was "immunized", which is apparently not the same thing as "vaccinated", because reports are now that he was not vaxxed. But, he also was not following the unvaccinated player protocols.

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2021 at 11:08 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #1464
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Why couldn't this have happened last week? Though given how well backups have done so far this season, whoever is the GB backup is, probably would have thrown for 500 yards.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #1465
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I believe immunization is distinct from being immune. You can get some sort of immunity from having Covid, but if you say you got immunized, I believe that technically means immunity from a vaccine. So the fucker straight-up lied, I guess. He probably had Covid before and he was using word salad to say he had immunity because he had Covid when he knew people would (mis)understand it as him having gotten the vaccine.

I still don't get the public's affection for Rodgers. He's been an ass since the whole Ryan Braun thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #1466
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ruggs was going 156 MPH, blood alcohol twice the legal limit, with a loaded gun in the car.

I'm no lawyer but I suspect he is looking at a lengthy and well earned prison sentence.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #1467
molson
General Manager

Wouldn't the Packers have known his vaccination status, unless he bought one of those forged vaccination cards or something? And they were OK with him not following the league guidelines for unvaccinated players?

Edit: Rogers also "petitioned the NFL to have an alternate treatment that he underwent before he returned to the Packers that would allow him to be considered the same as someone who received one of the approved vaccinations". But the league denied it. I wonder what kind of "alternative treatment" Rogers felt was equivalent to a vaccine. Some type of equine semen? He is such a tool

Feels like this should be a big deal, but won't be because the NFL and its teams are good at making things go away.

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #1468
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I believe immunization is distinct from being immune. You can get some sort of immunity from having Covid, but if you say you got immunized, I believe that technically means immunity from a vaccine. So the fucker straight-up lied, I guess. He probably had Covid before and he was using word salad to say he had immunity because he had Covid when he knew people would (mis)understand it as him having gotten the vaccine.

I still don't get the public's affection for Rodgers. He's been an ass since the whole Ryan Braun thing.

I've generally liked Rodgers over the years, but I'm starting to come around to the "he's an ass" side of things. Guess I'll have to google the Braun thing, as I'm not familiar with it.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #1469
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Ruggs was going 156 MPH, blood alcohol twice the legal limit, with a loaded gun in the car.

I'm no lawyer but I suspect he is looking at a lengthy and well earned prison sentence.
I have 4-6 years in the pool.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #1470
Swaggs
Coordinator

I guess I'm just thinking of past offenses and hopefully the precedent has changed. In the past, I think teams were so afraid of somehow getting in trouble with the players' associations or having to pay contracts.

I looked up Rae Carruth and Ray Rice. Rice was was only initially suspended after that video aired in February and didn't get released until September (after Goodell came down harder due to outside pressure). Carruth had his pregnant girlfriend killed in broad daylight on Nov. 16, hid from the police when she died, and the Panthers didn't release him until a month later.

More recently, the Felipe Vazquez and Trevor Bauer stuff took place in the MLB. Vazquez got arrested in 2019 for statutory sexual assault of a 16 year old across state lines, has been in detention since, was convicted on 15 related counts in May 2021, and I'm pretty sure that he is still on the Pirates non-injured list. And the Bauer stuff is still not resolved, I guess.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #1471
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can you explain the Braun thing? It looks like Braun lied to Rodgers, Rodgers aggressively defended him in public based on that lie, and then Braun got caught in the lie. Rodgers may have been a bit of an ass in the way he defended Braun, but I think many of us would go to bat for a close friend like that in a similar situation.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #1472
Ksyrup

For me, it's that by the time the Braun thing came out, we'd gone through this multiple times with other players and we all knew he was lying. Yet he and Rodgers wrecked some innocent dude's life over it. I don't care if he's your bestie, all of those guys were lying, we all knew it, and it's not a defense in my book that he lied to him because it was obvious to everyone he was lying.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-03-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #1473
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How in the world did he survive?
Old 11-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #1474
Ksyrup

And his passenger survived, too.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #1475
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought they were making everyone on Jeopardy be vaccinated.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #1476
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I thought they were making everyone on Jeopardy be vaccinated.

The vaccine was not quite yet available when he taped those shows in February.

This has to hurt his chances of hosting in the future though.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #1477
Ksyrup

Blake Bortles was on the 8th hole when he got the call to fly to Green Bay.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #1478
Kodos
Resident Alien

Jason Mendoza: "Bortles!"
Old 11-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #1479
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Jason Mendoza: "Bortles!"

"Fine, then I'll be Jake--"
"Don't say Jortles"
"Jortles!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #1480
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have 4-6 years in the pool.

From an ESPN article

Quote:
Probation is not an option in Nevada for a conviction on a charge of DUI causing death, which carries a possible sentence of two to 20 years in state prison. The possible sentence for reckless driving is one to six years in prison, with probation available.

Based on that and some of the other details, he is getting double digits for sure. I do leave open the possibility that the jury may decide that he has the freedom to drink and drive and does not have any responsibility in protecting anyone else on the road.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #1481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It isn't like he was going 5 MPH over and barely blew above the level. Maybe Molson would know but I assume the mitigating factors, speed, blood alcohol, etc...would make the sentence harsher.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #1482
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
From an ESPN article

Based on that and some of the other details, he is getting double digits for sure. I do leave open the possibility that the jury may decide that he has the freedom to drink and drive and does not have any responsibility in protecting anyone else on the road.
I have no knowledge of Nevada laws. I pulled my guess from what I have seen others in the same type situation get.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #1483
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Latest details I've read say that the victim's car travelled the length of two football fields (this seems unbelievable actually) after it was plowed into by Ruggs. Her vehicle started on fire, she was trapped, and she died alive crying for help along with her dog.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-03-2021 at 03:34 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #1484
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Latest details I've read say that the victim's car travelled the length of two football fields (this seems unbelievable actually) after it was plowed into by Ruggs. Her vehicle started on fire, she was trapped, and she died alive crying for help along with her dog.

jfc
Old 11-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #1485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Unfathomable. I worked years in insurance. Never once did I see a car catch fire from a collision and I saw some horrific shit.t I just doesn't happen like we see in the movies. When cars do go up it happens FAST but it is usually arson or a mechanical failure. To burn to death pinned in your car is an absolutely dreadful way to go. I hope he gets the max on all charges.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #1486
molson
General Manager

I'm always disappointed with how light sentences are in DUI fatality cases here (often just a year or two or even probation), but I've never seen one like this. I think I read he was reaching that speed on a 45 mph street? And being in a big city I think is an aggravator where there's just so many options to be driven around. I think here he'd get 10 fixed to where he's eligible for parole, and then 10 years indeterminate after that, but then I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being something like 5+5 instead. We'll see if his defense can dig up any dirt on the victim, maybe she was at a bar or something. Though that's a tough sell with that speed in that type of area.

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:11 PM   #1487
Ksyrup

Quote:
Unfathomable. I worked years in insurance. Never once did I see a car catch fire from a collision and I saw some horrific shit.t I just doesn't happen like we see in the movies. When cars do go up it happens FAST but it is usually arson or a mechanical failure. To burn to death pinned in your car is an absolutely dreadful way to go. I hope he gets the max on all charges.

Year before my older daughter graduated, there was a senior swimmer who appeared to have been distracted driving (texting) and hit a guardrail head-on on a curve on a 55mph road. Car immediately went up in flames and people couldn't get to her to get her out. I can't even imagine.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #1488
GrantDawg

Dany Heatley only got probation for killing his teammate. He was doing 100+ on a 35 mph street. He had been drinking but was below the legal limit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #1489
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I have a friend who got a DUI few years back and it was pretty tough punishment considering he didn't hit or hurt anyone in it. Big fine, lost license for a year, had to do a bunch of community service and take classes. Not saying it wasn't warranted, but they can be tough on DUI when they want to be.

This is a different situation obviously. But Riggs has money and that seemed to be the biggest difference in people getting a slap on the wrist or the book thrown at them.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #1490
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I have a friend who got a DUI few years back and it was pretty tough punishment considering he didn't hit or hurt anyone in it. Big fine, lost license for a year, had to do a bunch of community service and take classes. Not saying it wasn't warranted, but they can be tough on DUI when they want to be.

This is a different situation obviously. But Riggs has money and that seemed to be the biggest difference in people getting a slap on the wrist or the book thrown at them.

Yeah, imagine if the common folk got pulled over with big wads of cash, random pills, and failing a field test like Jim Irsay did. Most folk would spend years in jail and have the money seized by civil asset forfeiture.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #1491
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Y'all forget Donté Stallworth already?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #1492
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, expensive lawyers are great. I’d be amazed if he serves more than the absolute minimum sentence.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #1493
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Buzz has it that the League is so pissed at the way the Packers handled the Rodgers situation that they are looking for another AFC coach to fire.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #1494
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

Yes I did
Old 11-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #1495
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

And the stupid fucker lied about it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #1496
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He tried to get a waiver from the league saying that eating clay was just as good as getting vaccinated.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #1497
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't see it mentioned unless I missed it; apparently per prosecutor Eric Bauman the airbag computers say Ruggs vehicle was traveling at 156 mph. It slowed down to 127 by impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure said he was troubled by his initial review of the case against Ruggs, adding that in 16 years on the bench he had never heard of a crash involving a vehicle traveling so fast.

That's ... moving along.

Edit: Nvm, just saw that Lathum posted the speed earlier.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #1498
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

While there are some obvious similarities I think they are pretty different situations. Not to mention we live in a different time. Ruggs also had the loaded gun.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:04 AM   #1499
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
While there are some obvious similarities I think they are pretty different situations. Not to mention we live in a different time. Ruggs also had the loaded gun.

After refreshing my memory on the Stallworth incident, he was doing 50 in a 40 zone, Ruggs 156 in a 50 zone. They’re very different from those facts alone.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #1500
miami_fan
Coordinator

May we all have a friend/teammate like Derek Carr.

EDIT: May I also have the ability to be a friend/teammate like Derek Carr when needed.

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-05-2021 at 05:19 AM.