Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #1451
AlexB
Pro Starter

So after a couple of weeks off due after a weird reaction to my last run (shooting pains behind my shin for about a week every time I tried anything other than a normal walk), and a couple of bike rides that seemed to go OK i thought I'd try a run and see if there was any after effect

I usually run 8 miles, but the route I went has get outs that meant I could cut down to 3 or 6 miles if need be... But I got lost, so it turned into 10!

Good news is that it doesn't feel as if I'm going to have anything other than the soreness I'd expect after running 25% longer than planned, and it seems that I can keep up a 7.30 mile pace for 10 miles!

Have to say well impressed by Alan T's race: you seem to have gotten fast all of a sudden! With your dedication you'll go even faster and further in no time.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #1452
HerRealName
College Prospect

Nice race, Alan.

Alex, that sounds like shin splints to me. The couple of weeks off was probably a good idea. Hopefully you'll be fine now. That's a nice pace for 10 miles.

And I must also mention that I can remember a time when I was almost as fast as FrogMan but that time has long passed. He's more animal than man at this point. I'm looking forward to that half coming up. You're going to kill it.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #1453
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Alex, that 7:30 pace of yours is a GREAT pace a 10 miler, very well done, especially for a guy who's been off for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
And I must also mention that I can remember a time when I was almost as fast as FrogMan but that time has long passed. He's more animal than man at this point. I'm looking forward to that half coming up. You're going to kill it.

lol, thanks man, I'm feeling better and better about it. If anybody's not on Strava and wondering what he's talking about, he's certainly refering to my latest pace test, over 15K that I ran this last Saturday. Pretty happy with how it went, especially considering how much time I'd spent on the treadmill and not on the road, I was kinda apprehensive about finding back the streets and pushing myself off the pavement instead of simply letting my stride go with a belt moving under me.

Here's a link to this run on Garmin Connect:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478569947

The 3 5K splits came to 22:00, 21:45 and 22:00 for a total time of 1:05:45 and an average pace at 7:03 per mile.

I had a goal pace of about 7:14 per mile for my upcoming half marathon, that'd give me a finish time just under 1:35:00. I'm now thinking I should aim for a faster pace all along. Even more so that the course is downhill for a long part of the first half of it, then flat, not going back uphill. Take a look at this:

That's about a kilometer and a half of slight uphill, then about 8 more going downhill, where I could seriously let it fly, and then flat out until the end. I have regularly been doing downhill running on my treadmill, at -3% incline to get my quads used to it so they're not completely shot when I get to that second half of the race so hopefully that downhill running in the race won't be such an issue.

Only three weeks to go until race day, May 4th, following the training plan but there's this one thing bugging me. Maybe Alan is the one who could help the most but all can feel free to chime in. I'm following a sorta modified Hal Higdon advanced half marathon plan that now looks like this:

As you can see, the plan has 4 three weeks sections. W1 has a long run with some HM pace into it, W2 has a simple long run all at easy pace of same duration and W3 is a race/pace test, ending with race day on W3 of the fourth three weeks section. Duration/distance of both the long runs and the races/pace tests have increased as the weeks went on.

See that yellow "14k pace" cell. The original Hal Higdon advanced half marathon plan called for a full 2 hours long run, all at easy pace. To me, exactly 7 days before race day, it simply didn't make sense to do that. At my usual easy pace, i.e. 5:30/km or 8:51/mile, this means I'd run more than a half marathon exactly one week from my actual half marathon. To be exact, I'd run something like 21.8km or 13.56 miles.

I originally modified the plan to include a 14K at HM pace instead, that's about 8 miles at race pace but I'm now unsure about this. For a taper, this seems like a bit too much at race pace so now I might still do a 13-15 km run but more as a progression, ending with maybe 2 miles at race pace toward the end.

Open to all opinions...

FM
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #1454
HerRealName
College Prospect

The week before a half, I like 8 or 9 miles at close to race pace so I like your modification there. Your work is done at that point. You aren't likely to gain fitness the weekend before the race so I look at it as a good opportunity to train for actually running the race.

What does that Higdon guy know anyway?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #1455
Kodos
Resident Alien

Another good motivational video:

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #1456
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if anyone has seen it.. Strava Labs has a pretty cool tool here:

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/

You can enter the URL to a strava activity and it will tell you who else that logged an activity on strava also ran past you or near you or with you in the activity.

So did you fly past some other biker, maybe they are on strava and you can see who it was here.

Last edited by Alan T : 04-22-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #1457
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dang, that's pretty cool. On my very long run of last Sunday, a rider came close to passing me but turned just before he did!!!

FM
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #1458
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'll also be running a half on May 4. The Orange County Half, the second in a series of three in the Beach Cities Challenge.

Just like last time, I'm just lookin' to finishing the dang thing!
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #1459
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Saturday I'm going to run a local 5 mile road race for the second year straight. It is going to be the first time that I will have run a race two years in a row so I am eager to see how much I have improved since last year.

When I ran this race last May, it was actually my first great improvement as far as pace in a race goes. It was the first time that I ran any distance (more than a 5k) under a 9:30min/mile pace. I ended up with a 46:09 for the race and at the time set my fastest ever splits for 1k (4:41), 1500m (7:16), 1 mile (7:53), 3k (15:41), 2 mile (17:02) and 5k (27:13).

Since then, I've obviously gotten faster and it is now only my 28th best 5 mile time, but I still remember fondly how awesome it felt after the race last year. My current best 5 mile time was a 5 mile race last November at 41:13.. and I really want to try to get under a 40 minute time this weekend for the race.

It has a pretty daunting hill though..

My strategy last year was to try to get through the first 2 miles without killing myself and then trying to set a 5k record on the back half.. which is pretty much exactly what I did. 9:44 and 10:24 for the first two miles and then a 27 minute 5k where I nearly blew up in the last mile.

So this year I guess I'm going to try to do the same thing.. just a bit faster up the hills and hope as I fly down the back side that I don't trip and end up rolling down hill for 300 ft

The fastest that I have ever run that hill was a 9:34 pace last month and the hill before that 9:14 pace.. so my best guess is I can try to push myself at a 9:00 and 9:30 first two miles and that will mean I need a 21:30 5k the last half which would be about a 90 second PR for me on that distance (helped with the huge downhills though)...

So I guess we will see how it goes

Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #1460
Kodos
Resident Alien

Gotta say that the elevation change tracker on RunKeeper sucks. I'm running on a basically flat track. Little elevation change!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #1461
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Gotta say that the elevation change tracker on RunKeeper sucks. I'm running on a basically flat track. Little elevation change!

Am I misunderstanding? It sounds like you're saying you are running on flat land and not seeing any elevation change. If you're running on flat land, wouldn't you not have any elevation change?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-30-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #1462
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm running on a flat track, and it is saying I climbed 544 feet.

From this morning:

Last edited by Kodos : 04-30-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #1463
HerRealName
College Prospect

That's a tough course, Alan. That downhill makes my knee hurt just from looking at the chart.

Good Luck this weekend FOFC'ers. Steve is about to crush this half.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #1464
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm running on a flat track, and it is saying I climbed 544 feet.

Short answer is most Apps are not super accurate with elevation.

Longer answer is a pretty good article here:
Understanding Sport Device GPS Elevation Issues | DC Rainmaker

Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #1465
Kodos
Resident Alien

Interesting. Thanks, Alan.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #1466
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Here's a cool flyby video of my half marathon this weekend. Looks like a beautiful course.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #1467
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just posted this over on the Lose It! runners thread
======================================
"Putting miles in your training log is like putting money in the bank. You begin to draw interest on it immediately." - Hal Higdon

Went out in the cold rain this morning for my last real training run before the race this Sunday thus closing my training log for a few days.

Ran a 30 minutes progression run that started easy and peaked with a pace averaging at 4:10/km (6:42/mile) in the last 5 minutes before going back to an easy jog for the last 5 minutes.

See the 500m split paces of the run (minutes/km):
06:08
05:22
05:10
05:06
04:58
04:46
04:40
04:36
04:22
04:10
05:08
05:12

I like these kinds of runs. Any other rainy morning, I probably would have gone down to the basement and would have run this progression run on the treadmill but I wanted to do it outside, with the race coming very soon. I wanted to feel the wet pavement under my feet since there's a good chance it'll be (very) rainy on Sunday.

They are forecasting 80% chance of rain but fairly warm weather compared to what we've had so far this Spring, between 45 and 55F. I feel ready for this, ready for anything. About as ready as I felt when I tackled my last few big karate belt gradings (Shodan, Nidan, Sandan). Sunday can't come soon enough...

Time to talk goals... Been going back and forth about what pace to aim for, given all the variables in play here. Brace yourselves, here's me dumping my deep thoughts on you all, let's call this a pre-race report...

It's my first half marathon. My original goal for race pace when I started this training cycle was around 4:30/km or roughly 7:14/mile. This was mostly based on the Jack Daniels calculator estimate based on my previous 10K PR of 43:11. I'm reevaluating this estimate mostly because of how the course is set up.

The race course starts with a slight uphill for maybe the first 1.5 to 2 kilometers, then starts going downhill and keeps going that way for a good while. This is where doing that one long run on that downhill part comes into play. During that run at race pace a couple weeks ago, I averaged a pace of 7:16/mile over the first couple kilometers uphill that kinda took me by surprise then averaged 6:56/mile over the next 4.5 km going mostly downhill. Thing is during most of that race pace section, my heart rate stayed in check at an average of about 151 BPM. I could probably go a bit faster without really taxing my body for the rest of the race. It's a point-to-point race and the way it's set up, after the downhill, we'll stay on flat ground the rest of the way...

If I also look at my 15K pace test run done on a mostly flat course in which I averaged a pace of 7:05 over 15 km, I'm thinking I should be able to hold at least that pace until the 15th kilometer, so for a good chunk after the downhill portion. Let's say I let up a bit and go back to about 7:14 for a couple miles then mount a final kick for a mile at about 6:40 or so, I could look at a finish in close to 1:31:30. That's my A goal.

My B goal would be to at least maintain an average pace around 7:14 and that's a finish in around 1:35.

My C goal is to at least beat my training run PR set in that last long run which is 1:46 or so, a 5:01/km pace or 8:05.

I know anything can happen and I could wake up feeling sick on Sunday but not finishing this race would be a huge letdown so I'm not even putting that down as a goal...

I have set my Runkeeper live tracking thingie to active and will turn the posting to all my friends before Sunday so at least Patrick should see a post at about the start of my race. If any of you are on Runkeeper and want to follow me, send me a friend request. Here's my profile over there:
Steve Gougeon Levis, QC, Canada | RunKeeper

I don,t plan to fuss too much with it though, and I might start the runkeeper app before they say "go", in order to put it back in my belt, so the first km might be off by quite a bit. Otherwise you should be able to follow my run.

Race website says my bib number is 368 and results should be posted at this link at some point during the day:
http://www.sportstats.ca/

The race is currently in the "Upcoming events" and is called "Demi Marathon International Oasis De Levis"

Race starts at 8:30 and I should be taking most of Sunday afternoon off, that's if I don't have to go grocery shopping, heh It's one of those crazy weekends for us. Teaching karate Saturday morning, then picking up my bib in Old Quebec while my wife will be driving around our oldest son to his last rehearsal for his drum show that is on Sunday evening. We then attend a dance recital by my goddaughter in the evening. Then race in the morning on Sunday but I also learned yesterday that ou youngest son has a soccer practice from 8:30 to 9:50, so he will not be seeing anything of my race. Then in the afternoon, my wife has to do the dojo cleanup and in the evening is the aforementioned drum show by our oldest son. It's gonna be a crazy weekend but will end so well with that show. I love seeing him perform, makes me so proud...

I have already planned what I want for dinner, a good old poutine with lots of cheese. I'm already salivating over it.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death. If you're still reading, thanks a lot. I'll be back over the weekend or early next week with some kind of race report then my marathon plan will start with a reverse taper and the crazy planning of 3 races in 6 weeks (might even make it 4 in 8 weeks) to start it all off.

Take care, good luck to everyone else racing this weekend and happy running everybody else!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #1468
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

more specifically to us here, good luck Alan and ABC for your races this weekend!

FM
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #1469
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Here's a cool flyby video of my half marathon this weekend. Looks like a beautiful course.

that was a very cool flyover. Kinda make it seemed like a long course though

That loop about midway through (right at mile 6.5) is gonna be kinda hectic. I'm sure some racers will be tempted not to do the loop and will head straight to the right

Have fun in the race!

FM
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #1470
Subby
lolzcat

On Sunday I am doing the hardest ride I ever have or probably ever will do. The elevation is actually 4k more than shown here:

Kill Bill V11.1 - A bike ride in McLean, VA

Last year 20 riders started and less than half finished. I'll post a trip report if I live!

KILL BILL
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #1471
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Good luck subby! Whatever you do, don't break your collarbone again!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #1472
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Good luck subby! Whatever you do, don't break your collarbone again!
If I had a dollar for every time...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #1473
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Alan and FM, looks like you both have solid gameplans for your races. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
that was a very cool flyover. Kinda make it seemed like a long course though

That loop about midway through (right at mile 6.5) is gonna be kinda hectic. I'm sure some racers will be tempted not to do the loop and will head straight to the right

Have fun in the race!

FM

If I'm correct that loop actually runs underneath the main road. To bypass the loop, you'd probably have to jump some barriers.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #1474
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ahh, actually makes a lot more sense that way. Didn't look like that with the flyover...

FM
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #1475
Subby
lolzcat

I finally got around to getting a Road ID. If anyone wants one, I think you can snag a discount if you order through my link:

http://RoadID.com/invite/4DF7M-TAF44QG9TXZ

Last edited by Subby : 05-02-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #1476
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I finally got around to getting a Road ID. If anyone wants one, I think you can snag a discount if you order through my link:

http://RoadID.com/invite/4DF7M-TAF44QG9TXZ

The nudge I needed to do this for myself. Thanks, Subby!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1477
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Road IDs are great. I recommend anyone that goes running/biking/walking/hiking/whatever to get one. You never know when you may have an accident or get hurt or have some medical issue and people who see you have no idea who you are.

I always wear my road ID when I go out, just in case, can never be too careful..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #1478
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. It just makes sense.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #1479
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Saturday I'm going to run a local 5 mile road race for the second year straight. It is going to be the first time that I will have run a race two years in a row so I am eager to see how much I have improved since last year.

When I ran this race last May, it was actually my first great improvement as far as pace in a race goes. It was the first time that I ran any distance (more than a 5k) under a 9:30min/mile pace. I ended up with a 46:09 for the race and at the time set my fastest ever splits for 1k (4:41), 1500m (7:16), 1 mile (7:53), 3k (15:41), 2 mile (17:02) and 5k (27:13).

Since then, I've obviously gotten faster and it is now only my 28th best 5 mile time, but I still remember fondly how awesome it felt after the race last year. My current best 5 mile time was a 5 mile race last November at 41:13.. and I really want to try to get under a 40 minute time this weekend for the race.

It has a pretty daunting hill though..

My strategy last year was to try to get through the first 2 miles without killing myself and then trying to set a 5k record on the back half.. which is pretty much exactly what I did. 9:44 and 10:24 for the first two miles and then a 27 minute 5k where I nearly blew up in the last mile.

So this year I guess I'm going to try to do the same thing.. just a bit faster up the hills and hope as I fly down the back side that I don't trip and end up rolling down hill for 300 ft

The fastest that I have ever run that hill was a 9:34 pace last month and the hill before that 9:14 pace.. so my best guess is I can try to push myself at a 9:00 and 9:30 first two miles and that will mean I need a 21:30 5k the last half which would be about a 90 second PR for me on that distance (helped with the huge downhills though)...

So I guess we will see how it goes

Well good news and bad news for today's run.

Good:
Beat last year's time by almost 4 minutes exactly (3:59) for an improvement of about 45 seconds per mile.
I beat my 3k and 2 mile splits from last year by about 45 seconds each and my 5k split from last year by about 1:30.

Bad:
No 5 mile PR for me, ended up 50 seconds behind it. (Today's race had double the elevation gain though).
Obviously didn't break the 40 minute barrier for 5 miles, even though that seemed fairly unlikely with this course.

So my observation is that I really handled the hills in the first two miles better. In fact, I ran both hills faster than I ever had before. The first hill I did in 7:49 pace compared to 10:00 pace last year, and my best ever pace on that hill of 9:14. The second and by far larger hill I managed a 9:28 pace compared to 10:31 last year and my best ever on that hill had previously been a 9:34.

I was aiming for a 9:00 and 9:30 so was pretty much a full minute ahead of my goal at this point. However, the next part where I had to set a 5k personal record by nearly 90 seconds on the back half just wasn't going to happen

Mile 3 this year was 8:12 compared to 8:58 last year (improvement of about 45 seconds but 15 seconds behind where I needed to be.)

Mile 4 this year (huge down hill) was 7:59 compared to 8:02 last year (no noticable improvement). Which tells me that on the downhill last year when it is more to do with your legs not blowing up than your cardio, I pretty much didn't really improve enough here. I really needed to gain like 30 seconds on this segment.

Mile 5 (where I pretty much blew up last year) was pretty much the same this year I saw that I would have to run a 7 minute mile to make the 40 minute mark and knew that wasn't happening so kind of mentally checked out a bit here. 8:55 this year compared to 9:10 last year. (improvement of 15 seconds). I took 2 walk breaks in this mile and probably if I had pushed through it, i could have at least gotten a PR. My heart rate was pretty hammered though at this point. I was 180+ from mile 3-5 and was just struggling.

In the end, your fitness level is what your fitness level is. I'm happy for the improvement over last year so at least I'm on the right track. I'm pretty sure on a flatter course that I could break 40 minutes.

I have a month until my next half marathon. My goal is pretty much to run today's race pace for the entire half marathon. I think I can do that but have a few weeks here to get the extra work in.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #1480
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

nice race Alan, good improvement all around!

Tomorrow's the day, a couple last checks and to bed we go...

FM
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #1481
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good luck tomorrow, FrogMan! Kick butt!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #1482
hoopsguy
General Manager

Frustrating run yesterday. The race was marked by chalk on the sidewalks, except where we were running across a grass field for about 1/4 mile in the middle of the road race. There were also a number of people out directing traffic. Of the 200 or so people entered in the race, I was fairly close to the front, maybe somewhere in the 25-50 range. And yet, I somehow only ended up running 4.4K when I crossed the finish line.

Through the first 4K, I was trending for a season best time for a 5K, likely improving by 30-45 seconds from my run three weeks ago. My time on my watch was off because I forgot to hit it upon crossing the finish line, as I was flustered about the 4.4K distance. I went to look up the time at the site, fearing that I would not be listed since I did not complete 5K, only to see that there are no reported times for the race. As in, no link to see where participants finished overall or by bracket.

So I think it is safe to say that I won't be running this race again. And I'll likely be a little more careful about signing up for smaller races going forward if this is what I can expect from local townships trying to throw an event together. Location was great for me, but I would rather travel and extra 30-60 minutes for a 5K race where I can actually run 5K and see results from the race the next day.

In the meantime, next race is about 3 weeks out. I'll modify my training times based on what I forecast I would have run but I'm still miffed to have wasted basically Friday (did not run on day off, nice weather, but saving legs for race) and Saturday for what largely feels like a waste of time and money.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #1483
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hoops, I had a 5k race like that once around here too. It was for a local school as a charity fund raiser. So I decided to not let it bug me too much though in this case.

Usually you can tell if the course should be somewhat close to 5k distance if it is noted as a certified course in the race descriptions. (Even on those there may be a small discrepancy from your GPS watches though just due to how technology works on the watches)

Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #1484
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Frogman, you ok? That's a scary looking picture on FB.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #1485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Frogman, you ok? That's a scary looking picture on FB.

yeah, for those of us who don't speak french what happened?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #1486
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah, for those of us who don't speak french what happened?

He was doing really well in his race today, but then collapsed/passed out about 1k from the end. (He had run a little more than 12 miles, around 12.5 miles almost). He was taken to the hospital and they wanted to do some tests to make sure there was no issue with his heart.

His last response to me was that he was actually feeling really well in the hospital, as if nothing had happened but was obviously very upset/disappointed that he did not manage to finish, especially since he was doing so well.

He said he would update more later, so hopefully it is nothing serious and just a case of over-exertion or something.. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery for him.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #1487
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Aw man, tough news, considering how much you trained for this. Keep strong FM. Keep us updated.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #1488
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Dola.

As for me, a quick recap on my half today. I Bonked at mile 8, discovered I had a bloody nipple at mile 9, and I had leg cramps at the final stretch, preventing me from having a strong finish.

Full report to follow tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #1489
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Sorry guys forgot to come back around here to update ya. I'm fine as Alan reported. In facts, the body doesn't feel much more beaten up than after most longs runs, except for my lower back, thanks to sitting at an akward angle on a soft hospital mattress for most of the day. Most likely culprits are dehydration and low blood sugar level but the ER doc wanted me to see the cardiologist as Alan said simply to rule out anything irregular with my heart. They drew some blood twice but everything came back normal. That impromptu visit allowed me to know that my blood pressure is pretty low, in a healthy kinda way, 58/102...

I will learn from this and will bounce back but I've already decided to make some changes to my race shedule for this Summer. I will not attempt a full marathon in August but instead will do another half.

Thanks for all the well wishes, really appreciated.

FM
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #1490
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad to hear you're okay.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #1491
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Did they at least turn off your Garmin?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #1492
Subby
lolzcat

WHEEEEEEEE

Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #1493
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Sorry guys forgot to come back around here to update ya. I'm fine as Alan reported. In facts, the body doesn't feel much more beaten up than after most longs runs, except for my lower back, thanks to sitting at an akward angle on a soft hospital mattress for most of the day. Most likely culprits are dehydration and low blood sugar level but the ER doc wanted me to see the cardiologist as Alan said simply to rule out anything irregular with my heart. They drew some blood twice but everything came back normal. That impromptu visit allowed me to know that my blood pressure is pretty low, in a healthy kinda way, 58/102...

I will learn from this and will bounce back but I've already decided to make some changes to my race shedule for this Summer. I will not attempt a full marathon in August but instead will do another half.

Thanks for all the well wishes, really appreciated.

FM

Sorry to read about this, but glad that ultimately you seem to be fine. That would be pretty scary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #1494
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
WHEEEEEEEE

Wow, nice!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #1495
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
WHEEEEEEEE

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #1496
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Impressive, Subby!

On a related bike note, my dad rode the MS 150 bike ride in DFW this weekend. When he first told me he was going to ride it, I thought he was crazy. He hadn't ridden much at all. They had a lower mileage option, where you ride 50 miles on Saturday then 25 on Sunday.

My mom said she kept waiting for a call on Saturday to come and pick up his carcass. But he made it the full 50 miles. On Sunday he started out, but his legs hadn't recovered enough to do the ride, and he had to call it quits after 5 miles. Still, pretty impressive for a nearly 65 year old with only a couple of months of training.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #1497
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Did they at least turn off your Garmin?

don't know who, but someone did I know my headphones were around my necks on our way to the ER and I could still hear music, but my phone was in the pocket of my hydration belt...

FM
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #1498
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Sorry to read about this, but glad that ultimately you seem to be fine. That would be pretty scary.

I didn't realize much about it as it happened to be honest but it did scare the bejesus out of my close ones. My wife and oldest son were waiting for me at the finish line and I had given her an approximate finishing time. Once in the ambulance, the EMT asked me if anyone was waiting for me at the finishing area and I went "oh crap, my wife!". He asked me if I wanted them to call them and I told him "ok, you dial but I will talk to her". She later told me she would have really freaked out had she only talked to the EMT.

I got to the ER before them, obviously, and when they got there, my son looked at me with lots of deep concerns into his eyes. My wife was concerned too but after a few minutes she said she needed to go to the bathroom and i was left alone with my son. I squeezed his hand and realized he was weeping like a little baby. He's 17 and weighs about 30 lbs more than me, to simply the remember and tell you the scene is making me all weepy.

Our youngest son (10yo) had a soccer practice during the race and my mother-in-law went with him. My wife said she called them at our house when she was on her way to the ER. She said he broke down crying when my mother-in-law related the news to him.

I'm a pretty solitary person and never think that people care about me. I gues that's stupid but that's how I am. These demonstrations of emotions touched me like you wouldn't believe...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #1499
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Glad to hear it is nothing worse than a scare, FM.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #1500
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Glad you're ok, Steve. Yowza. That sounds scary.