Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #15451
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One other thing we experienced earlier this week that surprised me & I'll point out fwiw. I don't think it's common BUT it happened, so worth knowing IMO.

Sent an application for a merit-based scholarship to a particular D1 school, in time to meet their Dec 1st deadline. Within a matter of minutes we received a (email) letter awarding that scholarship, pending enrollment of course. (apparently he hit all the benchmarks to make it a gimme). That amount, plus a previous offer from the same school = full ride.

Literally, just filing the application doubled his firm offer from the school within minutes.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #15452
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Basically, when my daughter went through this, she was accepted to 8 out of 10 of the schools she applied to. She toured 6 of the 8.

We then had discussions with the financial aid office on what she would be getting, estimates of FAFSA, Scholarships, grants, work study etc..

We then broke that down versus tuition and we had a long drawn out talk on cost vs degree and location, versus everything.

She ended up choosing SUNY Geneseo because of the low cost, on top of the scholarship, grant in aid and work study she received there.

Her target school she wanted to go to was George Mason, but the 25K after Scholarship, FAFSA and such was just to much to justify. Roanake with the 12K after was her 2nd, I was willing to swing the 1K a month but she decided against it and went were she is basically being paid to go to school.

Oh, and we only sent the deposit to the school she was going to.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #15453
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thank you both, that is really helpful.

Macro, when you had the discussions with the financial aid office, when was that? I assume it was after Feb. 1 when the results from FAFSA would be known?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #15454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Oh, and we only sent the deposit to the school she was going to.

fwiw, the housing deposit stuff seems to be all the rage this year. Not sure how true that's been for how long.

It's not so much of a hard sell item either, it's pretty much "if you want to have anything worth a damn on campus, send in the deposit asap". The "good" housing is in short supply at most places apparently, the urgency about the housing deposit is pretty much the number one topic for every person we've dealt with at every school.

I think a lot of it ties into record numbers of early admissions / early decisions at a lot of places. I just saw this week where UGA has already admitted over half of the upcoming 2016 freshmen, the largest number in school history.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #15455
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thank you both, that is really helpful.

Macro, when you had the discussions with the financial aid office, when was that? I assume it was after Feb. 1 when the results from FAFSA would be known?

GMU was before FEB 1, but the bulk of them were after FEB 1.

Since the kids don't live with me they went off her mothers income so they knew she would get maximum amounts.

And Jon, they pushed the housing pretty hard for us to. I got the deposit in April for my daughter, she has a great room, shares it with another student and is happy.

Think about this, there is a reason that most schools are building on campus housing, because they are wanting to be land lords. 300 dorm rooms per building, 6 building, that's 1800 rooms. Now add a min of 2 kids per room, that's 3600 kids @ let's say $400 a month in rent...you see where I am going..

Their costs for these buildings are minimal and all of a sudden they are making a profit (I have buddy in Buffalo that specializes on securing special funding for schools to do just this)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #15456
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Since the kids don't live with me they went off her mothers income so they knew she would get maximum amounts.

And Jon, they pushed the housing pretty hard for us to. I got the deposit in April for my daughter, she has a great room, shares it with another student and is happy.

Think about this, there is a reason that most schools are building on campus housing, because they are wanting to be land lords. 300 dorm rooms per building, 6 building, that's 1800 rooms. Now add a min of 2 kids per room, that's 3600 kids @ let's say $400 a month in rent...you see where I am going..

Their costs for these buildings are minimal and all of a sudden they are making a profit (I have buddy in Buffalo that specializes on securing special funding for schools to do just this)

Our local University of Colorado campus went from 0 on-campus housing to many thousands in just a few years. Now they are requiring all freshmen to live in one of these housing, even if you grew up across the street, and it cost about $12k - to help pay their debt apparently.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #15457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In one particular instance, which is one that was at the forefront for me when I was writing, was a case where there's basically a couple of new buildings and the rest are what was pretty accurately described as "the Soviet bloc buildings". That really is what they looked like, to the point of being a tiny bit eerie. I was surprised someone hadn't spraypainted "Wolverines" on the side as an act of defiance.

And yeah, I'm not the slightest bit deluded about the motivation for campus housing.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #15458
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Im doing a lot of construction work on a couple of Universities for housing right now.

It is an interesting cycle that is taking place. A lot of older Universities, especially those with military heritages, have old barracks as dorms and have for decades. Well enterprising developers sprung up and built nice posh apartments near campus and lured students away. Now a major revenue stream was taken away. New student housing going up or being reonvated on campuses regularly have: stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, built in flat screen tvs (or at a bare minimum mounts and connections)...a starbucks and apple store in the building is pretty common as well it seems.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #15459
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jesus. My dorm room was smaller than some walk in closets (for 2 people), had a cable jack and an ethernet port. And there was a couple washer and dryers on the lower level. That's it. Appliances? Fuck you, if you don't bring it yourself you don't have one. I think we had a water fountain.

Something something uphill snow both ways.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-04-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #15460
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Students want to be pampered the way they are at home. It's one of the drivers of tuition inflation.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #15461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Students want to be pampered the way they are at home. It's one of the drivers of tuition inflation.

Well, it's also a great recruiting tool. I mean, I've literally watched a school put themselves in the middle of the conversation here (okay, maybe more like in the discussion as a backup plan) by simply having what my kid describing as "feeling like a resort".
Old 12-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #15462
bob
College Starter

And this is why I laugh / tell kids to STFU when they bitch about the rising cost of college.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #15463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
And this is why I laugh / tell kids to STFU when they bitch about the rising cost of college.

Well, there's a lot of factors in that equation.

At some point it kinda feels like the cost of health care / role of "insurance" to me.

I mean, I've got a smart kid. 90something percentile kid ... but he ain't no Doogie Howser either. So far every acceptance we've gotten (5 now I think) has come with an immediate offer of at least 50% scholarship as an opening. One D1 has already offered full ride, without even starting to negotiate.

There's the suggested retail price ... and then there's the "real" price, if they really want you to be there.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #15464
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

There's the suggested retail price ... and then there's the "real" price, if they really want you to be there.

This is what I've heard from others with kids going to college. They say don't shy away from private schools because they look expensive. He said that they are much more free wheeling with scholarship money than the public schools are.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #15465
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This is what I've heard from others with kids going to college. They say don't shy away from private schools because they look expensive. He said that they are much more free wheeling with scholarship money than the public schools are.

Eh, varies some. We've gotten better offers thus far from the publics tbh. I think another "don't be bashful" area might be not assuming out-of-state means out-of-reach. The first thing to go away has been the out of state surcharge, if they want you they'll be very aggressive with that.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #15466
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Our local University of Colorado campus went from 0 on-campus housing to many thousands in just a few years. Now they are requiring all freshmen to live in one of these housing, even if you grew up across the street, and it cost about $12k - to help pay their debt apparently.

My freshman year at JHU I moved into a newly-renovated Wolman Hall across the street from campus; it was either that or the Alumni Memorial Residencies on campus, which were probably built in the 60s. That year they changed the residency rule, requiring all sophs to live in campus housing (unless in a frat or sorority). My sophomore year I moved into the newly-renovated McCoy hall, across the drive from Wolman.

(Junior year I would have moved into the newly-renovated university-owned Ivy Hall were it not so expensive. I moved into the cockroach-ridden Homewood. Didn't have to, but easier to deal with the university than slummy local apartments. Homewood has since been renovated, of course.)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #15467
cuervo72
Head Coach

I would have pegged Robert Loggia for 85 30 years ago.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #15468
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

an abstract method to see if your brain is republican or democrat:

https://chartsme.com/
Old 12-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #15469
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
an abstract method to see if your brain is republican or democrat:

https://chartsme.com/

68% democrat, sounds right for me, interesting.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #15470
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

69% Democrat for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #15471
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

hahaha...it said my brain was 80% democrat largely I guess because nothing disgusted me?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #15472
larrymcg421
Head Coach

58% Democrat. That's pretty low for me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #15473
sabotai
General Manager

Liberal 55% (Conservative 45%)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #15474
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

70% Conservative. If we are getting the same questions I want to know how some of those things don't intensely disgust you guys! The flyswatter one?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #15475
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
70% Conservative. If we are getting the same questions I want to know how some of those things don't intensely disgust you guys! The flyswatter one?

Thoroughly washed.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #15476
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

True, still could never use it. The only fight I have to pick with this survey (which is actually fairly accurate to present day panerd) is that I was pretty liberal in my younger years and still disgusted by most of the topics on the questionnaire. :-)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #15477
MacroGuru
Coordinator

LOL...66% democrat...again, I am like CU, not disgusted a lot I think skews this.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #15478
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not being disgusted by seeing someone puke has nothing to do with whether I agree with helping people that expect me to help them and won't help themselves.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #15479
AlexB
Pro Starter

57% Liberal for me
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #15480
molson
General Manager

I got bored halfway through since all the questions were kind of the same, but I'll eat stuff I drop on the floor. So, I'm going to guess about 65% liberal.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #15481
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

^ found the monkey eater
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #15482
RainMaker
General Manager

There isn't much that gets to me online but this story did.

Girl, 8, survives fire, wishes for Christmas cards - TODAY.com
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #15483
Suicane75
Coordinator

What's the best kind of glue to make a collage? Magazine pictures onto posterboard. Good old Elmers or would something like wet cement be better to avoid saturation.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #15484
cuervo72
Head Coach

(I don't even think they make that stuff anymore...)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #15485
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Thoroughly washed.

Wow, so you're saying that having some reading comprehension is more likely to make you a Democrat
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #15486
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
What's the best kind of glue to make a collage? Magazine pictures onto posterboard. Good old Elmers or would something like wet cement be better to avoid saturation.

Scrapbooking glue. Don't remember the brand. Go to Michaels/Pat Cataan's.

Brand is Aleen's Tacky Glue(sp).

The roller type film adhesives work well also.

Last edited by stevew : 12-10-2015 at 06:28 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #15487
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

I do papercraft models and the best glue I've found is Zip Dry:

You can find it a scrapbooking stores, Joann Fabric, and craft stores. Can be expensive but dries quickly, doesn't wrinkle or seep through the paper, glues without yellowing the paper over time, and has a consistency like rubber cement so if you mess something up, you can rub the excess glue off without ruining the image.

I've used Aleen's Tacky and that's not bad either.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #15488
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just finished the last of my college classes today and will officially have my Bachelor's degree in a couple weeks.

Anyone want to hire me?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #15489
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Congratulations!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:41 AM   #15490
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think all car rear lights and brake lights should be red and turn signals yellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I just finished the last of my college classes today and will officially have my Bachelor's degree in a couple weeks.

Anyone want to hire me?
This might be a sign I'm running too many twitter accounts, but maybe this forum needs a LIKE button. Congrats!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #15491
Easy Mac

I think Katie Ledecky could beat me in a 1/2 mile swim v. run.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #15492
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think Katie Ledecky could beat me in a 1/2 mile swim v. run.

She is unbelievable....How about this comparison:

Here are Katie's splits in the 1650:

56.19 (1:49.95)
56.05 (2:46.00)
55.64 (4:36.88)
55.21 (5:32.09)
55.47 (6:27.56)
55.68 (7:23.24)
55.63 (8:18.87)
55.12 (9:13.99)
55.20 (10:09.19)
55.10 (11:04.29)
55.41 (11:59.70)
55.63 (12:55.33)
56.12 (13:51.45)
55.67 (14:47.12)
15:13.30

My kids are pretty good year round swimmers. My son has medaled in Southeastern competitions, and my daughter might have if not for the ridiculously strong field in her age group...Given this information, how's this for perspective:

Ledecki could swim 1550 yards, and on her flip if my son dove in to race her in the final 100...it would be extremely close at the wall with my son's personal best 55.03 to Ledecki's final 100 time on her record setting swim of 55.67...

Last edited by Breeze : 12-14-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #15493
Easy Mac

Hanging out in the hospital at the moment. Doctor is 80% sure my 6 year old has appendicitis.

I just don't get it. 15 hours ago she was fine. 6 hours ago her school calls saying she's hot. I get there and she throws up in the car. Take her home, 102.9 fever and throws up again. She looks as miserable as I've ever seen her. Try to take her to the minute clinic but it's a 90 minute wait. Take her to the hospital's urgent care. They don't seem overly concerned, at least from the exam... But the urine's a little off. They send us to be admitted, the surgeon is 80% sure.

I know the surgery isn't life threatening, but it's just so unfair she has to deal with this. To her she just has a tummy ache and she has no idea why she can't go home. now she's going to miss her last week is school, her school program, and her last Basketball game, not to mention her tests and we were going to go to six flags.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #15494
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

In my thoughts and prayers easy Mac. It's funny how routine procedures don't feel so routine when your kid is involved.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #15495
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Hanging out in the hospital at the moment. Doctor is 80% sure my 6 year old has appendicitis.

I just don't get it. 15 hours ago she was fine. 6 hours ago her school calls saying she's hot. I get there and she throws up in the car. Take her home, 102.9 fever and throws up again. She looks as miserable as I've ever seen her. Try to take her to the minute clinic but it's a 90 minute wait. Take her to the hospital's urgent care. They don't seem overly concerned, at least from the exam... But the urine's a little off. They send us to be admitted, the surgeon is 80% sure.

I know the surgery isn't life threatening, but it's just so unfair she has to deal with this. To her she just has a tummy ache and she has no idea why she can't go home. now she's going to miss her last week is school, her school program, and her last Basketball game, not to mention her tests and we were going to go to six flags.

Best wishes to you and the little one!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #15496
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

American Panorama - Foreign Born
Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #15497
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still a few days away from high school senior son hearing from his #1 choice for college. The stress level in my house is pretty much insane.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:04 AM   #15498
21C
College Prospect

My father died ten years ago and the inscription on his headstone cost us $363. When my mother died recently, I expected the cost of her inscription (almost the same number of letters as my father's) would be about $500-$1000.

The first quote I got was for $2871! The cost of the lettering was about $300 and the rest was for labor - removing the headstone from the cemetery so that they could do the inscription on their site and then return it.

The second quote was for $1755 and took about six weeks to send through to me.

The last quote took three months and came in at $866. While not happy with the wait, I could put up with it for the much lower price.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #15499
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sorry for your loss, 21C.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #15500
heybrad
Norm!!!

My wife's family is a tad technology challenged. Apparently my mother in law called my wife and here was the conversation.

"Your sister lost her phone and got a new one. She doesn't have your number but she told me if you call her she'll get it." My wife asked, "Why didn't you just give it her." Answer... "We didn't know how to do that."

Edit to add... in an effort to get my wife to call my sister in law just commented on a photo my wife posted on Facebook over 2 years ago, saying' "Please call me!" A photo from over two years ago.

Last edited by heybrad : 12-17-2015 at 11:36 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote