Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #1601
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Can't help but wonder how quickly Chip will draw the attention of the NCAA on UCLA.

How's that FBI investigation going? Hope they don't start to sniff around the football program, eh?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:26 PM   #1602
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
How's that FBI investigation going? Hope they don't start to sniff around the football program, eh?

You and Bug are really getting annoying. Instead of answering the legitimate charge against Kelly, you counter with avoid and deflect?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #1603
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Hard to be an advocate for the B1G when you mock most of their teams, right? You are basically agreeing with others in saying that Wisconsin hasnt played a good schedule.

Im not saying Wiscy played a great schedule. Never have. But they played 10 power 5 schools. More than anyone in the SEC. And have a top 2 defense. Probably number one after shutting out Minny.

And sorry about the Goofers comment. For some reason I thought you were a Minny fan. Not because of location, but I thought I remember you rooting for them on this board.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #1604
tarcone
Coordinator

Shoot. Alabama basically had a bye week before their big rivalry game and shit their pants.

Wisconsin had to play Michigan before their big rivalry game and they shut out the team they played.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #1605
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You and Bug are really getting annoying. Instead of answering the legitimate charge against Kelly, you counter with avoid and deflect?

What do you want us to say? Kelly has never been our coach and he has never coached at a school which recruits itself. Tell me, boss, how do you want us to respond to that, especially when it's to the biggest asshead fan of our rival on this board?

And I notice you're plenty ready to call us out and ignore the fact that EF27 backs a school as notorious for cheating as anyone in the SEC. Take your blinders off.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-25-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #1606
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wisconsin had to play Michigan before their big rivalry game and they shut out the team they played.

As Jon said, I'd think a decent high school team could shut down Minnesota's offense. Other than some decent running backs, there is absolutely nothing there to work with. Wisconsin could have played a quadruple OT thriller against a powerhouse and still probably sleep through the Gophers.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #1607
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What do you want us to say? Kelly has never been our coach and he has never coached at a school which recruits itself. Tell me, boss, how do you want us to respond to that, especially when it's to the biggest asshead fan of our rival on this board?

And I notice you're plenty ready to call us out and ignore the fact that EF27 backs a school as notorious for cheating as anyone in the SEC. Take your blinders off.

I did not say anything about USC, the charge was against Kelly...wherever he ended back up in college. Kelly would draw the attention of the NCAA (as EaglesFan27 said) no matter if he ended up at UCLA, USC or Podunk U. You and Bug would be all over him if he became coach of USC but because he is now at "your" school, you give him a pass and defend him as if you had suddenly put blinders on?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #1608
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did not say anything about USC, the charge was against Kelly...wherever he ended back up in college. Kelly would draw the attention of the NCAA (as EaglesFan27 said) no matter if he ended up at UCLA, USC or Podunk U. You and Bug would be all over him if he became coach of USC but because he is now at "your" school, you give him a pass and defend him as if you had suddenly put blinders on?

EF27 didn't ask us that like he was trying to have an honest debate. He was doing it to bait us. Basically he is being a troll, which actually should get him suspended from the board.

And you ABSOLUTELY know that. I can't even fathom why you want to link yourself to his asshattery.

I have no idea what's going to happen when Kelly gets here. Maybe something. Maybe nothing. I can't even understand why you think EF27's obvious troll behavior requires a straight response.

To be frank, I thought you were better than that. I expect this from EF27.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-25-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #1609
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Where did we defend him? Remember the last coach UCLA hired with a salacious NCAA past? Rick Neuheisel? How much trouble did we get into with him as our coach?

Since your in the mode of calling people out for doing what they'd do to their rival.

Quote:
Looks like Chip Kelly to Florida.

This was made shortly after UCLA got involved with Chip Kelly. Wonder why he didn't inquire about Florida, Chip Kelly, and the NCAA. Perhaps it was a post to show that UCLA fauled to get a coach they were obviously after?

Then there was this in the timeline after Dawgfan mentioned UCLA likely landing Chip
Quote:
Yep. Should be interesting.
Then this
Quote:
Reportedly Kelly has reached out to two USC assistants to join him at UCLA and they both declined.
Hmm, perhaps the USC assistants were just too trustworthy and honest to join such a scoundrel like Chip.

Finally
Quote:
Can't help but wonder how quickly Chip will draw the attention of the NCAA on UCLA.

If we were being honest about everything, instead of wonder, EF27 should have likely put in hope, as opposed to wonder. But again, this is a fan who disappears when things go poorly for USC, so it's not surprise at his troll and run posting style.

CR and I are neither Chip Kelly or UCLA. I'm not quite sure how you expect us to answer his "charges". If we win a bunch of games and get some vacated like Peter Carroll, I'll probably blame an overzealous NCAA and still act like a colossal douche who has won a title or 3. But I havent seen the promise land yet, so I can't quite comment on how I would handle things.

It's not like CR and I were acting all wild and stupid about this hire and making ridiculous comments or toutonf ucla as contenders. Your ill will is oddly misplaced.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-26-2017 at 12:24 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #1610
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure this means Gus is not going to consider the AR job.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #1611
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is it wishful thinking or is there a reason Gus would leave Auburn to take the Arkansas job?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #1612
Edward64
Head Coach

Gus was an AR Springdale HS head coach, got brought in by Houston Nutt (some say in exchange for some Springdale players). Nutt never bought into Gus and there was a blowup where Nutt stayed and Gus left.

There were rumors that Gus expressed interest in the AR job but that assumed AU would have lost to AL and AU would be out of the running.

IMO, I think more than wishful thinking but not as much chance of it happening as alot of fans thought.

If it was me, I would beg Petrino to come back but fat chance of that happening and him accepting.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #1613
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Might have been better for Ole Miss to suffer a loss than to win IF it leads to them keeping the overmatched interim coach however.

There is no way they are keeping Luke.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #1614
tarcone
Coordinator

Whats your playoff picture look like today?

1. Wisconsin
2. Oklahoma
3. Clemson
4. Auburn

5. Georgia
6. Ohio St.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #1615
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't think AL falls out of top 6 so guessing #5 AL.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #1616
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Alabama-They probably arent deserving(SOS is very low) but their reputation gives them a boost. I think Clemson, Auburn winning their championship games would also help keep them in the picture. Might need a Wisconsin loss however. As the committee will have a hard time taking Alabama over Auburn.

I guess

If Wisconsin loses Id have to bump the Georgia/Auburn winner in front...
Same scenario of Clemson loses

If they both lose Id bump Miami into the top 4

I think Oklahoma and Alabama(?) are in.

The Alabama loss really makes things tricky for me. Not only because of Alabama not being in the SEC championship game(makes it hard to put them in the top 4) but because now we have a 2 loss team possibly jumping over 1 loss teams.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-26-2017 at 09:52 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #1617
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think both sides of UCLA-USC are trolly. Bug especially rarely misses an opportunity to troll USC. And I almost always root against USC.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-26-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #1618
MrBug708
Head Coach

Trust me, I miss plenty of opportunities to troll SC
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #1619
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting to see OSU 6.5 faves over Wisconsin. I thought it was going to be 2.5. Now I gotta figure out if I want to hit the game, which I did last year and they melted down vs PSU.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #1620
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think both sides of UCLA-USC are trolly. Bug especially rarely misses an opportunity to troll USC. And I almost always root against USC.

A long time ago, I used to troll EF27 on USC stuff because he was so insufferable to deal with when he "puts his USC hat on."

But I left that behind a long time ago, before even Mora was hired. You won't find me initiating anything with EF27 (or any other USC fan) after probably 2010 or 2011 at the latest.

I do respond to EF27's troll baiting, though, as I did in this thread. He earns that.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #1621
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Gus was an AR Springdale HS head coach, got brought in by Houston Nutt (some say in exchange for some Springdale players). Nutt never bought into Gus and there was a blowup where Nutt stayed and Gus left.

There were rumors that Gus expressed interest in the AR job but that assumed AU would have lost to AL and AU would be out of the running.

IMO, I think more than wishful thinking but not as much chance of it happening as alot of fans thought.

If it was me, I would beg Petrino to come back but fat chance of that happening and him accepting.

I had a buddy of mine that played for Gus in HS. There would be interest, as Gus or his wife has family in the area. He also confirmed back in 2009, Gus was not thrilled as he felt Nutt had not delivered everything that was promised for him to take the job as OC. He also said Gus was a genius and did not need players to thrive, but obviously better players would help, along the lines of Mike Leech.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #1622
Kodos
Resident Alien

Eh, really it's Bug who does the trolling from the UCLA side. I was a pretty bad Dallas troll for a long time, but I think I've put those days behind me for the most part.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #1623
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Whats your playoff picture look like today?

Alabama is in.

Ohio St. beats Wisc., Oklahoma beats TCU, Clemson beats Miami. Auburn beats Georgia.

Alabama beats Oklahoma, Clemson beats Auburn.

Alabama (probably) beats Clemson to take the rubber match.

(Patriots win Super Bowl, nation wakes up to Sonny & Cher, drives off cliff.)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #1624
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Eh, really it's Bug who does the trolling from the UCLA side. I was a pretty bad Dallas troll for a long time, but I think I've put those days behind me for the most part.

I usually respond to nonsense though, I don't mind engagement however. I'm very much the reap part of what posters sow
Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #1625
bronconick
College Starter

Looks like Mullen to Florida and Schiano to Tennessee
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #1626
digamma
Torchbearer

Oklahoma vs. Wisconsin
Auburn vs. Clemson

Those would be my match-ups today.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #1627
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Looks like Mullen to Florida and Schiano to Tennessee

What the fuck?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #1628
MrBug708
Head Coach

7 million to Dan Mullen? Kelly seems like a steal at less than 4.5 million
Old 11-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #1629
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Go ahead & start the "Currie out as Tennessee AD" clock once they hold a press conference to announce this hire.

As for Mullen, I get the idea kinda but I don't see him elevating UF into contention either.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #1630
bronconick
College Starter

I think he was getting around $4 million in Starkville already
Old 11-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #1631
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
7 million to Dan Mullen? Kelly seems like a steal at less than 4.5 million

Seemed pretty clear (to me anyway) that money wasn't the basis of Kelly's decision. Have to credit UCLA for (pretty clearly) making their move before the guy they wanted ended up elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #1632
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The obvious question, to me at least, is why not Leach for either UF or UT. (especially UF)

Thing is, we don't know if he was / would be willing to take either job, so you don't know whether to be pissed at the AD for their decision or not. It may not have been up to the AD.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #1633
Atocep
Coordinator

Schiano's first game at Tennessee is against WVU. Now that's funny.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #1634
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The obvious question, to me at least, is why not Leach for either UF or UT. (especially UF)

Thing is, we don't know if he was / would be willing to take either job, so you don't know whether to be pissed at the AD for their decision or not. It may not have been up to the AD.

I think Leach is pretty happy in Pullman and I think Pullman is a good fit for Leach.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #1635
bronconick
College Starter

Leach would be eaten alive by SEC boosters, fans, etc. Pullman and Lubbock work because no one really cares
Old 11-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #1636
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Leach would be eaten alive by SEC boosters, fans, etc. Pullman and Lubbock work because no one really cares

I could see issues in Knoxville, but honestly, with the "make it fun again" mandate in Gainesville, as long as he was winning I'd have thought he'd be fine down there.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #1637
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Scott Stricklin, Florida's relatively new AD hired Mullen at Miss. St.

The pros for Leach to UF is the wide open offense that is at least 1A to winning for most Gator fans. I am not so sure if the pirate thing would go down well in Gainesville (and the surrounding areas). The most successful coaches at UF have been The Ol' Ball Coach and Urban both of whom seemed to be very willing to be the best friend of every booster they saw. Is Leach that sort of guy? I don't know.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #1638
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is Leach that sort of guy? I don't know.

No. The furthest from it. That's why he works in Pullman. There really aren't any WSU boosters.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #1639
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
No. The furthest from it. That's why he works in Pullman. There really aren't any WSU boosters.

Same with Lubbock (or so I assume from my literal 90 minutes spent here so far).
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #1640
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Leach hates glad-handing. Not his thing at all, and I've heard from a few people about what an ass he can be in those settings. For a lot of reasons, WSU is a good fit for him. But as much as he's revived the Cougs, I think it's also been made quite clear there's a ceiling for him and his system, and the best he's ever going to do at WSU is what he did this season, especially as long as Chris Petersen as at Washington.

I can certainly see why he'd be interested in an SEC job where he could attract significantly better athletes to run his system. While I think the Air Raid is not a system that will win a National Championship, it would be interesting to see what he could do with better players than he could get at Texas Tech or WSU.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #1641
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Leach hates glad-handing. Not his thing at all, and I've heard from a few people about what an ass he can be in those settings. For a lot of reasons, WSU is a good fit for him. But as much as he's revived the Cougs, I think it's also been made quite clear there's a ceiling for him and his system, and the best he's ever going to do at WSU is what he did this season, especially as long as Chris Petersen as at Washington.

I can certainly see why he'd be interested in an SEC job where he could attract significantly better athletes to run his system. While I think the Air Raid is not a system that will win a National Championship, it would be interesting to see what he could do with better players than he could get at Texas Tech or WSU.

Where would that place be? Who in the Power 5 setting fits the mold of not having to really deal with boosters while also having access to something closer to the top tier of recruits? Does he make a better run at it somewhere like Kentucky or Mississippi St? Maybe a school like Wake Forest or Vanderbilt?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1642
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Where would that place be? Who in the Power 5 setting fits the mold of not having to really deal with boosters while also having access to something closer to the top tier of recruits? Does he make a better run at it somewhere like Kentucky or Mississippi St? Maybe a school like Wake Forest or Vanderbilt?
I don't think those schools really give him much of an edge in recruiting. I think he'd definitely consider offers from Arkansas or Ole Miss, and he'd get better recruits there. As for boosters, he wouldn't like it and he'd probably piss off a lot of people, which means whatever AD hires him would have to deal with that fallout.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #1643
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

One of Kelly's sticking points was a limit on booster functions he would need to attend. Apparently Aikman's role in negotiations was volunteering to take his place at smaller events
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #1644
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Sounds like the Schiano deal may not go through after all. I can't remember a coach hiring announcement being received as poorly as this one.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #1645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Sounds like the Schiano deal may not go through after all. I can't remember a coach hiring announcement being received as poorly as this one.

I found it interesting that ESPN paints the outcry as being about "his connections to Sandusky". The early returns on the UT fan boards mentioned that about 2% of the time. Maybe it picked up in the past few hours but most of it was centered around his coaching, not his connections.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #1646
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
I found it interesting that ESPN paints the outcry as being about "his connections to Sandusky". The early returns on the UT fan boards mentioned that about 2% of the time. Maybe it picked up in the past few hours but most of it was centered around his coaching, not his connections.

It's been all over social media. There's one person who is claiming she's not only getting the offer rescinded but getting him fired from OSU as well.

It's embarrassing. The alleged connection to Sandusky is based on three level hearsay that the primary people involved denied. It was also investigated by prosecutors and rejected.

In any event, watch them turn around and hire Hugh Freeze.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #1647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
It's been all over social media. There's one person who is claiming she's not only getting the offer rescinded but getting him fired from OSU as well.

A self-proclaimed SJW no doubt.

Quote:
It's embarrassing. The alleged connection to Sandusky is based on three level hearsay that the primary people involved denied. It was also investigated by prosecutors and rejected.

Welcome to 2017, a truly absurd time to be alive.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #1648
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Unless the belief is that the college game has passed him by, I don't know if that specific criticism is fair either. I don't like the fit of him with Tennessee due to some of the same issues I discussed with Mike Leach. However, the last time we saw Schiano as a college HC, he was making a respectable program out of Rutgers.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #1649
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So someone can't be a coach because of a possible connection to something that he may have overheard based on hearsay... but a pedophile can be elected because "we need the votes"... what a wonderful world...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #1650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Unless the belief is that the college game has passed him by, I don't know if that specific criticism is fair either. I don't like the fit of him with Tennessee due to some of the same issues I discussed with Mike Leach. However, the last time we saw Schiano as a college HC, he was making a respectable program out of Rutgers.

8-4 in the Big East (the neighborhood he spent the final five years inhabiting) likely translates to maybe 6-6 in the SEC ... without the recruiting connections in the region.

That's not gonna lead to anything except another contract buyout. And a new AD.