Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #1651
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Silver owl is from Akron.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #1652
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wonders if I was accepted a job that paid slightly less than I was making if I would take it just to stop traveling.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #1653
sabotai
General Manager

I love lamp.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #1654
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ordered my wife a cheesecake from the Carnegie Deli for her birthday. Hopefully she likes it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #1655
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Another sign why I won't completely switch to a damn MAC....

I have to make an appointment at my local apple store to discuss any issues what so ever...This one is involving a power adapter that caught fire...

Um...you can see it caught fire, give me a new one and lets call it good.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #1656
molson
General Manager

So Mahmoud Ahmadinejad got a little wacky again today, blabbering about the U.S. causing 9/11 and causing the U.S. and European diplomats to walks out of the U.N.

But my thought is more random. What is Ahmadinejad's typical NYC travel itinerary? Where does he stay in town? Is he monitored 24/7? Is he hitting the Carneige Deli or a Broadway show? Killing some jews?

Last edited by molson : 09-23-2010 at 04:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #1657
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So Mahmoud Ahmadinejad got a little wacky again today, blabbering about the U.S. causing 9/11 and causing the U.S. and European diplomats to walks out of the U.N.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #1658
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Another sign why I won't completely switch to a damn MAC....

I have to make an appointment at my local apple store to discuss any issues what so ever...This one is involving a power adapter that caught fire...

Um...you can see it caught fire, give me a new one and lets call it good.

Can't you just walk in with the burned up power adapter?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #1659
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Can't you just walk in with the burned up power adapter?

I did that today...trust me..I was ready to shove it up someones ass when they told me I needed an appointment.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #1660
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I did that today...trust me..I was ready to shove it up someones ass when they told me I needed an appointment.

I don't get that. I could see if they were busy or something. Did you talk to a manager? I've never had to use them so, I'm not sure what the process is to be honest.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #1661
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't get that. I could see if they were busy or something. Did you talk to a manager? I've never had to use them so, I'm not sure what the process is to be honest.

This is the 3rd time I have taken the broken item in to be told I need to make an appointment...how hard is it to look at the item, look me up on the computer and say yup...we will replace it or nope, your shit out of luck....

And no they were not busy.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #1662
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
This is the 3rd time I have taken the broken item in to be told I need to make an appointment...how hard is it to look at the item, look me up on the computer and say yup...we will replace it or nope, your shit out of luck....

And no they were not busy.

Wow. That's pretty shitty service in my opinion. I have Steve Jobs' email address if you want it.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #1663
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow. That's pretty shitty service in my opinion. I have Steve Jobs' email address if you want it.

Like he would read my email...especially as I would title it... Flash iz da roxorz
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #1664
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Like he would read my email...especially as I would title it... Flash iz da roxorz

Haha! You must not have heard the news though. iPhones and iPads will be able to run Flash here soon.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #1665
RendeR
Coordinator

I still harbor an unmitigated hatred of all Things Miami (University of).

Tonight I'm a Panther fan.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #1666
miked
College Starter

Agreed, the overrated "U" can suck it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #1667
sabotai
General Manager

You're best is an idiot!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #1668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

These go to eleven.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #1669
Drake
assmaster

Can someone help me explain to my boss that maintaining 40 production websites and all the related content management do not constitute "a trivial portion" of my time and job description in a way he'll understand it.

My official job title, by the way, is Senior Web Services Consultant. My boss takes that to mean Mr. Other Tasks As Assigned since "once you put a website up, it's done. It doesn't require any additional resources."
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #1670
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Can someone help me explain to my boss that maintaining 40 production websites and all the related content management do not constitute "a trivial portion" of my time and job description in a way he'll understand it.

My official job title, by the way, is Senior Web Services Consultant. My boss takes that to mean Mr. Other Tasks As Assigned since "once you put a website up, it's done. It doesn't require any additional resources."

Sounds like it's time to put your boss back in the box & return him to the factory from whence he came. Clearly he's too stupid to be one.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #1671
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Hand him the official asshat...once he can truly understand what you do....then he can take it off, until then...everyone gets to call him an asshat.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #1672
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

But my thought is more random. What is Ahmadinejad's typical NYC travel itinerary? Where does he stay in town? Is he monitored 24/7? Is he hitting the Carneige Deli or a Broadway show? Killing some jews?
This thought deserves it's own thread. K thx.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #1673
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Sure thing Drake - just shoot me this guy's contact info and I'll take care of it first thing in the AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #1674
Drake
assmaster

Heh. I've tried to deal with this dynamic by taking a hard line on the "I don't edit content, all I do is wrap the appropriate html/php/ajax/javascript around it and present it" but unfortunately, the average business professional only seems to have a vague understanding of spelling and grammar...and I have too much pride in my work to let stupid stand.

I imagine I'm not the only person who regularly receives content that immediately gets sent back with a "are you absolutely certain you want to put *this* in front of the public as is?" only to find himself embroiled in a 25 message committee email exchange that rewrites one paragraph two dozen different ways--all worse than the original--before ultimately just going, "You know what? Nevermind. I'll just write it."
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #1675
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I imagine I'm not the only person who regularly receives content that immediately gets sent back with a "are you absolutely certain you want to put *this* in front of the public as is?" only to find himself embroiled in a 25 message committee email exchange that rewrites one paragraph two dozen different ways--all worse than the original--before ultimately just going, "You know what? Nevermind. I'll just write it."

You've just described a good bit of what I've been doing for the past year or so. Difference being, I'm not in a strong enough position to get away with a complete rewrite, so I just bang my head on the desk a lot.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #1676
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I just received the overview documentation for a legacy program comprised of 5 different pieces written in 3 different programming languages. That's over 30,000 lines of code written across VB6, Reflections, and VBA.

My job? Write up a tech document in order to update this legacy program into a web-based application.

Sigh.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #1677
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"You need to click the link below for very important information." Haven't seen that as the first line in spam in quite some time.

Retro-spam, I suppose.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #1678
Drake
assmaster

The past several posts in this thread have made it clear to me that there's still a layer of upper management out there that really just doesn't get this whole computer & internet thing.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #1679
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #1680
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I had an assbag of a boss like that. Made some grand declaration that certain parts of my job should only take up a certain percent and anything over that shouldn't be occuring and then he would fill up the rest. Of course, his numbers were way off. That's ok, after a year our customer issue backlog was at 200 when it should have been around 30.

Guy was a real suckup weasel POS. Would make up stories about how people on the floor were having certain issues with you, but never provide examples. It was always just 'people' and 'issues'. One day I just told him 'If I'm so fucking bad just fire me'

Sorry.. went off on a tangent.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #1681
PilotMan
Head Coach

Is it possible for the media to suck Vick's dick any harder then they are now?

He has had a mix of great, great plays but some real bone head throws that he is lucky weren't picked. No questioning his athleticism, but his head still isn't there to be a top notch QB.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #1682
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good thing he's not Philip Rivers, or people would really hate him.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1683
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's been out of the game for this long; gets on the field when the starters sucks/gets hurt and plays out of his mind. The guy is 5th in passer rating this season, 13th in rushing yards (ahead of people like Joseph Addai, Ray Rice, and MJD), and 13th in passing yards (ahead of Aaron Rodgers). Why shouldn't they be all over this great story early in the season?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #1684
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Good thing he's not Philip Rivers, or people would really hate him.

That guy is always trying to win. What a jerk!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #1685
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
That guy is always trying to win. What a jerk!

Exactly!! That's just not right.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #1686
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Driving hit counts makes a number of school children happy (as well as the faculty & school admins who monitor them). And yes, you're reading the link correctly, at the insistence of various school officials (and over my objections, frankly) my son makes his live coverage debut tonight.

Watch the live webcast of Athens Academy vs Prince Avenue football. Pre-game starts at 715, play-by-play coverage starts at 730 with the Voice of the Spartans Houston Gaines joined by Will Loveless
Spartans Webcast
Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #1687
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Driving hit counts makes a number of school children happy (as well as the faculty & school admins who monitor them). And yes, you're reading the link correctly, at the insistence of various school officials (and over my objections, frankly) my son makes his live coverage debut tonight.

Watch the live webcast of Athens Academy vs Prince Avenue football. Pre-game starts at 715, play-by-play coverage starts at 730 with the Voice of the Spartans Houston Gaines joined by Will Loveless
Spartans Webcast

I wish him the best of luck!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #1688
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

No, we are not dating, she is not my girlfriend, I am not sleeping with her, we do not come to work together, and she is not pregnant. All I did was eat lunch with her and hug her a few times. It's not a big deal.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #1689
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
No, we are not dating, she is not my girlfriend, I am not sleeping with her, we do not come to work together, and she is not pregnant. All I did was eat lunch with her and hug her a few times. It's not a big deal.

Were they "special" hugs?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #1690
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Were they "special" hugs?
She did say "skeet skeet" afterwards.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #1691
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Do you guys Thank someone who provides a service to you? Like a cashier, do you thank a cashier for ringing up your items? or even a step further, Lets say hypothetically there is a toll booth and a man works that booth and is the cashier for it, you give him a ticket he tells you how much and you pay him and he opens the gate or whatever ,wishes you well, and then sends you on your way. Do you thank him? I have my reasons, more thoughts and posts on this coming forward, lets just say I have been doing a study for the last few weeks on this.

in my opinion, I always thank these people. its just habit, but I mean it.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #1692
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm the same as you.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #1693
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Do you guys Thank someone who provides a service to you? Like a cashier, do you thank a cashier for ringing up your items? or even a step further, Lets say hypothetically there is a toll booth and a man works that booth and is the cashier for it, you give him a ticket he tells you how much and you pay him and he opens the gate or whatever ,wishes you well, and then sends you on your way. Do you thank him? I have my reasons, more thoughts and posts on this coming forward, lets just say I have been doing a study for the last few weeks on this.

Yes I do.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #1694
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

I thank them and yes it is a sincere thank you when I say it.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #1695
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I agree... well anyway for the last few months, I had to go out and get some real hours and a real paycheck, and I ended up as a cashier / supervisor @ the Honolulu Airport Parking Structure. I sit in the booth a lot and check people out and have them on there way. I don't expect to be thanked, I've learned not to expect much from people these days, but I was completely surprised by how few people have been thanking me. I've been collecting data since its such a boring job and I have the time to do it. I'll try to put it together more interestingly but roughly its at about 60% or so that Thank me, or even something close to it, I've been counting "the have a good one's", "take care" "Aloha" and pretty much anything that isn't rude and more then a grunt as a thank you, but I guess going into the job I didn't think much about it, I guess I just expected the number to be higher then 60%. I was thinking upwards to 80-90% I guess. A lot of people are just plain rude and it shocks me. I'm never rude, I mean obviously thats common sense I'm working for a company that this is sometimes the first person providing a service these people see getting in to Hawaii. It doesn't bother me, I just thought it was an interesting thing to see some stats on.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #1696
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have a distaste for people who won't even acknowledge a simple "Hi!", "Hey!", "What's up?", or chin nod. This goes triple for the bastards that I see regularly in the hallways of where I live or work.

"I SAID HELLO MOTHERFUCKER! I KNOW YOU SEE ME, IT'S JUST YOU AND ME IN THIS HALL, AND I LOOKED YOU STRAIGHT IN YOUR BEADY LITTLE EYES AND SAID HELLO!!!! WE BOTH LIVE HERE! YOU SEE ME FIVE TIMES A WEEK! I SAID HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #1697
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I do and usually say something like "have a good one".
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #1698
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have a distaste for people who won't even acknowledge a simple "Hi!", "Hey!", "What's up?", or chin nod. This goes triple for the bastards that I see regularly in the hallways of where I live or work.

"I SAID HELLO MOTHERFUCKER! I KNOW YOU SEE ME, IT'S JUST YOU AND ME IN THIS HALL, AND I LOOKED YOU STRAIGHT IN YOUR BEADY LITTLE EYES AND SAID HELLO!!!! WE BOTH LIVE HERE! YOU SEE ME FIVE TIMES A WEEK! I SAID HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I hate it when you hold the door open for someone and they don't say thank you. However, I make sure to say, "You're welcome".

Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #1699
molson
General Manager

I thank everybody. Having a job, and doing it competently, no matter the job, is worthy of respect and thanks.

Speaking of thanks, thank you Macy's for allowing me to cancel a credit account I somehow had with you easily and quickly, without having to deal with any human at all, let alone some jerkoff who needs to know why I cancelled and keeps me on the phone for 20 minutes. Seriously, I can't thank you enough, you'll be getting more of my business just for this.

Last edited by molson : 09-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #1700
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Unless the person has been particularly unpleasant or rude, I thank them.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote