Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #18951
spleen1015
Coordinator

He's survived this long with all of his shenanigans. I'll believe he's out when he's actually out. Then, I don't think he goes peacefully.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #18952
Atocep
Coordinator

Another thing, by naming Barr in the Ukraine phone call it pulls him into this investigation and he should be forced to recuse himself.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #18953
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Shoutout to the PredictIt bettors who were involved in the "Will Trump win the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize" market yesterday. (He went from 3% to 2%)

PredictIt
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #18954
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
LOL. Trump just stated that unfortunately, Pelosi is no longer Speaker of House.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #18955
RainMaker
General Manager

It really wasn't Biden getting the prosecutor fired. He was just the guy the Obama administration sent. Pretty much every western country and most people in Ukraine wanted that prosecutor to be fired.

The fact Trump called Shokin good and fair is comical. I'd say sick but I honestly don't think he was smart enough to know what Shokin had done.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #18956
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Reading up on this Crowdstrike server stuff and it sure seems like Trump was looking for Ukraine to give him "proof" that the DNC hack was an inside job and not the fault of the Russians.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #18957
Izulde
Head Coach

Can the Senate Decline to Try an Impeachment Case? - Lawfare

Interesting. Senate could just decide not to hear the trial even if the House impeaches

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #18958
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He’s such a clown. How can anyone listen to this guy and think he’s anything but a buffoon.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #18959
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Can the Senate Decline to Try an Impeachment Case? - Lawfare

Interesting. Senate could just decide not to hear the trial even if the House impeaches

Yeah, but that would be stupid b/c it lets Dems paint them as obstructing in a very-easy-for-low-information-voters-to-understand way.

Much easier to put on a short trial designed to let the President put on his defense and the acquit him on a party-line vote.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #18960
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was this word salad scheduled already as a debrief from the conference?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #18961
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump just sold out Pence and told the world to ask the VP about his conversations with the Ukrainian President.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #18962
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump just sold out Pence and told the world to ask the VP about his conversations with the Ukrainian President.

Do you think Pence did a spit take hearing that?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #18963
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well, if Pence gets impeached as well, and Nancy is no longer the Speaker of the House, who will be president?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #18964
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Well, if Pence gets impeached as well, and Nancy is no longer the Speaker of the House, who will be president?

Chuck Grassley according to a quick google search.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-25-2019 at 05:14 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #18965
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Do you think Pence did a spit take hearing that?

Don't get me started on my objections to the spit take. It's probably the most trivial hill I'm willing to die upon.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #18966
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And if you work for the Trump Administration and aren't prepared for the knife in the back, then you haven't been paying attention at all.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #18967
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Kiefer Sutherland
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #18969
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

This gets to Ben’s theory. Maybe part of the reason the GOP is less willing to move on from Trump to Pence is that they are afraid that Trump will take Pence down out of spite if they go after him.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #18970
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Kiefer Sutherland

+1 for the TV reference
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #18971
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This gets to Ben’s theory. Maybe part of the reason the GOP is less willing to move on from Trump to Pence is that they are afraid that Trump will take Pence down out of spite if they go after him.

Trump will throw everyone under the bus, which is part of why the GOP is still so in lockstep with him.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:45 AM   #18972
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So just thinking out loud but Romney probably really wants to be president and has a f-load of money and if Trump’s gone he can probably run the best full press move at the nomination.

So that’s 1/20 votes needed. If we give him the other two republican Mormons(Lee, crapo) we only need 17 more votes right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #18973
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Trump will throw everyone under the bus, which is part of why the GOP is still so in lockstep with him.

Yup, and take his diehard supporters with him which then torpedoes the R's nationally for the next few cycles. And he's absolutely not above pushing the nuclear button if the party apparatus was to turn on him for whatever reason - they are in the Trump boat until he goes away at this point.

This has to reflect somewhat badly on Biden as well, right? No matter what you think his motives were, he still lobbied Ukraine to fire the prosecutor looking into his son's company. Or do we think he's more likely to get a sympathy bump in the polls from it? I guess that wouldn't be surprising seeing as this is all a gross reality show based on news headlines these days anyway.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #18974
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I sure hope this helps to torpedo Biden as well, but that's not based on anything other than my own wishful thinking. Like you say, simply keeping his name in headlines could just as easily turn out to be a positive when the dust settles, in today's fickle and chaotic climate. I would have to imagine that most of the more progressive candidates & voters are looking at this as a massive double win at the moment, though.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-26-2019 at 02:05 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:27 AM   #18975
RendeR
Coordinator

The problem I see or think about most I guess, is, who is there among Dem's that is honestly worth electing.

Warren? She's almost as hated as Hillary and less charismatic. This country is not going to elect a woman in this climate, its simply not ready yet.

Biden? Other than being Obama's bitch, what does he really offer? I've yet to see anything worthwhile from him.

Who else? I mean, dafuq are we supposed to vote for in 2020 "Anything but a Rep?"
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #18976
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Who else? I mean, dafuq are we supposed to vote for in 2020 "Anything but a Rep?"

Honestly, if a credible and non-senile third-party candidate emerged, I'd be down.

The front-runners for the Democratic nomination are all old farts. No more 70-year-olds. Don't care what their proposals are.

But absent that? Fuck yes. Punish the absolute shit out of the Republican Party for their weaselly submission to Trumpism in the name of power.

I want 'em in the wilderness for a generation. I don't mean a political generation, I mean an actual, "children are born, grown, and having children of their own" generation. Maybe that way the Republicans who replace these fucks will have some semblance of honor and we can start having an actual choice again.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #18977
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
The problem I see or think about most I guess, is, who is there among Dem's that is honestly worth electing.

Warren? She's almost as hated as Hillary and less charismatic. This country is not going to elect a woman in this climate, its simply not ready yet.

Biden? Other than being Obama's bitch, what does he really offer? I've yet to see anything worthwhile from him.

For me at this point, it is pretty much anyone but Trump.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #18978
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yup, and take his diehard supporters with him which then torpedoes the R's nationally for the next few cycles. And he's absolutely not above pushing the nuclear button if the party apparatus was to turn on him for whatever reason - they are in the Trump boat until he goes away at this point.

Yes. But then there's the fact that this map happened 10 years after Nixon resigned:

I am sure that, in 1974, something like this would have seemed like three generations off.

Things are different. And, like you say, Trump may fight against the GOP in a way that Nixon never would. But the GOP might be slightly more afraid of a post-Trump era than it needs to be.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #18979
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have no faith in our government to handle this the right way. Trump needs to go and I don't think that's going to happen.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #18980
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Feels like the hiding documents on a top secret server to avoid embarrassment, could be the Trump version of the Nixon tapes. What other politically embarrassing stuff was hidden there?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #18981
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Feels like the hiding documents on a top secret server to avoid embarrassment, could be the Trump version of the Nixon tapes. What other politically embarrassing stuff was hidden there?

In the declassified appendix of the doc there is other mentions of things being hidden on this top secret server.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #18982
kingfc22
Head Coach

Somebody please put Nunes out to pasture as well.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #18983
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Say wha? Is this based on any favorable/unfavorable numbers?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #18984
kingfc22
Head Coach

So the Republican angle is to play this as leaking of information is the real scandal here. Not the content. Laughable
Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #18985
miked
College Starter

I find it laughable that this all comes back to documents on a server. BUT HER EMAILZS!!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #18986
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So the Republican angle is to play this as leaking of information is the real scandal here. Not the content. Laughable

I find it amazing (but also not) that Reps like that hack Jim Jordan keep hammering the fact that the whistleblower got the info second or third hand when we all read the notes of the call yesterday and saw what he said.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #18987
kingfc22
Head Coach

And it matches. The stupidity is just too much
Old 09-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #18988
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

At this point I honestly think a full flush would be an improvement.
Seriously Id take a complete new Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branch comprised entirely of people with zero experience over what we currently have on BOTH sides of the aisle.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #18989
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not ready to elect a woman?

Let's not forget that Hilary won the popular vote by several million.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #18990
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
At this point I honestly think a full flush would be an improvement.
Seriously Id take a complete new Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branch comprised entirely of people with zero experience over what we currently have on BOTH sides of the aisle.

So you'd be comfortable with all if the power and leverage being simply handed over to lobbyists? Because any sort of defense and maneuvering would be absent when there are neophytes running the country.

I get that it sounds good as a wish, but I think the practicalities of it aren't really what you're wishing for.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #18991
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I wonder if a lot of the public reaction will come down to how people view the different types of "interference" that foreign countries can have on our elections.

If you ask doctors whether all of those steak dinners that they have with drop-dead gorgeous 25 year old pharmaceutical reps affects their prescribing decisions, some huge percentage of them will say it does not.

But, unless pharmaceutical companies have decided to spend lots of money on steak dinners for no reason, it seems very likely that these things DO affect doctor's prescribing decision.

Now, it isn't that the doctors are consciously lying. They are instead self-deluded. Each doctor seems himself as a brilliant man of science who would not be swayed by flattery and steak dinners. But, as human beings, most of them are. They are being subtly manipulated, and they don't even know it.

So, if there is election interference of the sort of the President hiring Russian hackers to break into voting machines and change the numbers, then I think that most people would see that as horrible election interference.

However, if (as is much more likely the case) the interference is along the lines of "discredit my opponents;" "Run social media campaigns in favor of me and against my opponents;" "Coordinate with me to create distractions that will make me look good and my opponents look bad," then we might have something like the doctor problem outlined above.

Those are all examples of illegal foreign interference in our elections. And they all do work to make the elections less free and less fair. But in order for people to understand that, they have to be willing to admit to themselves that they can be manipulated by things like social media campaigns and advertising and false news stories. And most people don't want to admit that to themselves.

"I am a smart voter. I am choosing to vote based on who is the best candidate. I am too smart to be swayed by advertising." Everyone thinks that about themselves. And everyone is wrong. We are all swayed by advertising. That's why every company/brand in the world has a marketing department.

So, if it comes out that Trump totally 100% is getting foreign countries to manipulate our elections, but that manipulation is anything short of actual hacking of voting machines, we could see a big shrug from the voters.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #18992
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
However, if (as is much more likely the case) the interference is along the lines of "discredit my opponents;" "Run social media campaigns in favor of me and against my opponents;" "Coordinate with me to create distractions that will make me look good and my opponents look bad," then we might have something like the doctor problem outlined above.

I think for some people they think what is the difference between this and a PAC or some other organization running negative ads or trying to support a candidate.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #18993
Kodos
Resident Alien

There is the added aspect of Trump withholding desperately needed military aid that was bipartisanly approved by Congress to an ally if the country doesn't dig up or create dirt on Trump's leading political opponent. Basically, "help me tarnish my opponent or go fuck yourself and your shithole country".
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #18994
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
There is the added aspect of Trump withholding desperately needed military aid that was bipartisanly approved by Congress to an ally if the country doesn't dig up or create dirt on Trump's leading political opponent. Basically, "help me tarnish my opponent or go fuck yourself and your shithole country".

To be fair, it might not have just been about Biden, Trump may also have needed to freeze that military aid to pay back Russia for helping him win the previous election.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #18995
Atocep
Coordinator

538 has gone from lukewarm, at best, on impeachment to this is some pretty serious shit. Very, very early polling isn't looking very good for Trump on this either. 55% are in favor of impeachment if Trump did what he is accused of and only 25% against it according to YouGov.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #18996
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

“I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistle-blower the information? Because that’s close to a spy,” he continued. “You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now.”

Uh...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #18997
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
“I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistle-blower the information? Because that’s close to a spy,” he continued. “You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now.”

Uh...

stable genius
Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #18998
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
To be fair, it might not have just been about Biden, Trump may also have needed to freeze that military aid to pay back Russia for helping him win the previous election.

True.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #18999
PilotMan
Head Coach

The report shows that the concern was more aligned, not necessarily withholding military aid, which is reported, that the Ukrainian President may not have even known, but the withholding of attention, namely a visit with the White House, that he wanted to show his strength in his country and his ties to the west. That is much easier to prove as a quid pro quo than the military aid, and while it may not seem like much, when you're dealing with the type of power discrepancy between the two countries, it's substantial.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #19000
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
“It is impossible that the whistle-blower is a hero and I’m not. And I will be the hero! These morons—when this is over, I will be the hero."

Rudy to The Atlantic magazine