Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #151
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Downloaded and played the Bad Company 2 demo the other night. Really think they stripped a lot of the fun from the previous version. They added "realism" in the forms of your controller and screen shaking like crazy during battle which is fine I guess for realism, but just annoying as a player. They changed the controls and also made it much tougher to drive a vehicle.

Just makes no sense why they'd change some great things about a great game just for the sake of changing it. Was really looking forward to this as I put a ton of hours into the old one but it looks like they tried to turn it too much into Modern Warfare instead of what makes the Battlefield games great.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #152
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They added "realism" in the forms of your controller and screen shaking like crazy during battle which is fine I guess for realism, but just annoying as a player.

Glad you put that in quotes. That's not "realism", that's a fan of Saving Private Ryan becoming a video game designer
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bummer. The Wal-Mart and Best Buy used game service is being discontinued. Anyone who bought Gamestop stock this morning is doing well.

Wal-mart, Best Buy Quit Short-Lived Used Games Test - IndustryGamers
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #154
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Bummer. The Wal-Mart and Best Buy used game service is being discontinued. Anyone who bought Gamestop stock this morning is doing well.

Wal-mart, Best Buy Quit Short-Lived Used Games Test - IndustryGamers

I guess I can say +1 for the "smaller" guy in the business?!?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #155
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather have competition driving up used game prices.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #156
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'd rather have competition driving up used game prices.

Best competition out there is Ebay & Craigslist - IMO. I don't even bother trading games in anymore. I get much more $$$ through ebay/craigslist.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #157
MJ4H
Coordinator

Anyone tried Tatsunoko vs. Capcom yet? I can't wait until I have the opportunity to pick it up. I've heard it's fantastic and the reviews are very good.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #158
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I can understand why people sell games to places like Gamestop, but why do people buy used games there? Every time I look for a used game at EBGames (which is becoming Gamestop up here) they are literally only $5 less than the new version. Why would I get a used copy and sort of screw the developer to save $5 on a $60 purchase?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I tend to get them on the other end of the spectrum. I got my PS2 towards the end of its life so whenever Gamestop would have their B2G1 free sale and I could stack it with my Edge membership, I'd be getting 3 greatest-hit level games for about $15.

I don't know why you'd ever do it the week after something came out? Unless it was, again, one of Gamestop's B2G1 sales.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #160
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I can understand why people sell games to places like Gamestop, but why do people buy used games there? Every time I look for a used game at EBGames (which is becoming Gamestop up here) they are literally only $5 less than the new version. Why would I get a used copy and sort of screw the developer to save $5 on a $60 purchase?

No idea. Any used games I've bought there were like 2+ years after release for $20 or less. Paying $55 for a used game is strange.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
No idea. Any used games I've bought there were like 2+ years after release for $20 or less. Paying $55 for a used game is strange.

FWIW, I only see that small a difference at Gamestop when my son is looking for something that's still pretty new. Anything else used is in the $12-$40 range, depending upon supply, demand, and age of the game.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #162
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just a reminder for RPG fans. White Knight Chronicles hits the shelves this morning. Should keep the RPG people busy until FFXIII comes out in a couple of months.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #163
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, I only see that small a difference at Gamestop when my son is looking for something that's still pretty new. Anything else used is in the $12-$40 range, depending upon supply, demand, and age of the game.

Maybe up here we just get screwed, or perhaps I'm just always looking for AAA titles or something. It just seems that, with the exception of sports titles (which drop precipitously as soon as the next version comes out) or total junk games, things will hang at that $5-less-than-new price for like 2 years after the game comes out.

To be honest, even a game that came out last week should be more like $10 off if you're buying it used. $5 just doesn't seem like a deep enough discount to me (but I guess enough people must go for $5 or they wouldn't do it).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Maybe up here we just get screwed, or perhaps I'm just always looking for AAA titles or something. It just seems that, with the exception of sports titles (which drop precipitously as soon as the next version comes out) or total junk games, things will hang at that $5-less-than-new price for like 2 years after the game comes out.

To be honest, even a game that came out last week should be more like $10 off if you're buying it used. $5 just doesn't seem like a deep enough discount to me (but I guess enough people must go for $5 or they wouldn't do it).

I usually just wait until they offer the Buy 2 get 1 offers. At that point, you get a good deal on the used games.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #165
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just a reminder for RPG fans. White Knight Chronicles hits the shelves this morning. Should keep the RPG people busy until FFXIII comes out in a couple of months.

thats just PS3, right?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #166
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Will I'll be lost or miss out on a lot if I haven't played ME1?

I play start with ME1, the game is great and really you can breeze through it without doing alot of side missions for under 20 hours.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #167
MJ4H
Coordinator

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #168
Ramzavail
College Starter

is that Jordan on the sideline?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYP0uJpNjVc
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #170
MJ4H
Coordinator

Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #171
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Debut trailer for Fallout: New Vegas at gametrailers.com

Unfortunately there's no gameplay footage and it's all CGI. But it is interesting to see that New Vegas looks to be a thriving city, that will be quite a change from the broken down Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3. A Fall 2010 release date is given at the end of the trailer, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #172
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Debut trailer for Fallout: New Vegas at gametrailers.com

Unfortunately there's no gameplay footage and it's all CGI. But it is interesting to see that New Vegas looks to be a thriving city, that will be quite a change from the broken down Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3. A Fall 2010 release date is given at the end of the trailer, I'm looking forward to it.

This one is also being made by Obsidian using Bethesda's engine and resources. Obsidian is a group made up mostly of the same people (formerly Black Isle) that made the first 2 fallout games and also made KOTOR 2 and NWN2.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This one is also being made by Obsidian using Bethesda's engine and resources. Obsidian is a group made up mostly of the same people (formerly Black Isle) that made the first 2 fallout games and also made KOTOR 2 and NWN2.

Which is largely what has me nervous about this.

See, ultimately I want a sequel to 3 not 1 or 2. And if they come with the latter in terms of gameplay, I think they're looking at a sales underachiever which then lessens the chances of eventually getting a sequel to 3.

Yeah, I know, "1 & 2 were gr8, 3 wuz a basturd" and all that from the fan boys. But 3 also sold more copies in the first month or so than 1 & 2 sold combined.

Like I said, I'm not down on it yet, I'm just ... nervous.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #174
DataKing
Pro Rookie

New Vegas is supposed to be using the same engine that Fallout 3 was built on, so the gameplay will be similar to that, not 1 & 2.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
New Vegas is supposed to be using the same engine that Fallout 3 was built on, so the gameplay will be similar to that, not 1 & 2.

Yeah, I just get uneasy about "supposed to" stuff sometimes (basically when I actually care what happens).

I'm not a very trusting soul, what can I say?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #176
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I just get uneasy about "supposed to" stuff sometimes (basically when I actually care what happens).

I'm not a very trusting soul, what can I say?

Well, hopefully we'll get gameplay video soon and we can see for ourselves.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #177
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is there another kind of game out there?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

See, ultimately I want a sequel to 3 not 1 or 2. And if they come with the latter in terms of gameplay, I think they're looking at a sales underachiever which then lessens the chances of eventually getting a sequel to 3.

Yeah, I know, "1 & 2 were gr8, 3 wuz a basturd" and all that from the fan boys. But 3 also sold more copies in the first month or so than 1 & 2 sold combined.

I concur with all of the above.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #180
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I like old Fallout and new Fallout, I'm pretty sure I'll like New Vegas.

Another Obsidian game I'm anticipating is Alpha Protocol, a modern day Spy RPG that every developer interview and preview I've read makes it sound right up my alley. That should be out in a few months.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #181
Atocep
Coordinator

It's the same engine. It's being overseen by bethesda. I'm not worried at all. If anything I expect a better story than the one bethesda had along with the same tongue in cheek humor the first 2 had.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have a feeling it will play the same. It just won't feel like anything new because they won't push anything at all and the story will just seem like a little of a letdown compared to Fallout 3. It will feel like a big expansion pack rather than a new game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #183
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I think you're worried about nothing, honestly.

The issue to me is less the direction the game is going to take, and more "will they have time to do it right?"

KOTOR 2 was great...until the ending, where it was clear that LucasArts said "Christmas season is coming up, I don't care how much work you have left, you're done."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #184
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Attached Images
File Type: gif 20100204.gif (32.3 KB, 288 views)
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #185
SportsDino
College Prospect

I have a feeling it could be better than Fallout 3. The engine will have the gameplay that draws in the crowds, but I fell that team will put in the one thing I felt was missing in Fallout 3, a plot with some depth to it. I think it will be a good combo of talents, the expansive world gameplay that I love from the Bethesda line (I'm an explorer type), with characters that fit into the atmosphere instead of just seeming generic.

Not hating on Fallout 3, many of the things it achieved are awesome... I still prefer Fallout 1/2 though overall.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #186
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Gran Turismo 5 has been delayed once again.

Sony exec: Gran Turismo 5 now being targeted for fall release - Top Speed
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #187
Kodos
Resident Alien

Turns out people don't like racing games where the other cars aren't actually racing....
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #188
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
I have a feeling it could be better than Fallout 3. The engine will have the gameplay that draws in the crowds, but I fell that team will put in the one thing I felt was missing in Fallout 3, a plot with some depth to it. I think it will be a good combo of talents, the expansive world gameplay that I love from the Bethesda line (I'm an explorer type), with characters that fit into the atmosphere instead of just seeming generic.

Not hating on Fallout 3, many of the things it achieved are awesome... I still prefer Fallout 1/2 though overall.

I loved Fallout 3 til the end. That was one of the biggest letdowns in gaming history for me. The ending was so ridiculous I had to play it again just to make sure it ended as stupidly as I thought it had.

Give me the fallout 3 engine with a real ending? I'm a happy camper.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #189
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Turns out people don't like racing games where the other cars aren't actually racing....

The last couple of Forza releases have moved the bar up considerably.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #190
MJ4H
Coordinator

Bought Tatsunoku vs. Capcom tonight. Won't have much time to spend with it for a couple of days, but the 15 minutes I just played were awesome. Easily the most fun I've had with a fighting game.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #191
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Love Mass Effect 2, lost three people ultimately, but enjoyed it a ton. Looking forward to #3. Took it and Uncharted 2 up to Gamestop today, got $80 in credit and traded it in for a bluetooth headset, MAG used (lucked out there), and had $5 left to put on The Show 10. Not too bad.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #192
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Okay, put some time into the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 demo. Loved the first game and played it more than any other on the 360. I always felt that games like Modern Warfare 2 and such focused more on reflexes and stick skills more than anything. Not a ton of strategy and if you aren't able to dedicate 20+ hours a week to it like a lot of people do, it's tough to compete. Battlefield to me seemed to have more strategy involved and required you to really work together and utilize the large maps. So for someone like me who doesn't have the stick skills of a 16 year old who plays 4 hours a night, it's a game I can compete at and actually be good in just by using my mind.

I hated the demo at first but it has grown on me. The first game was a bit more cartoony and video gamish. I actually liked that element of it. This one seems to be more gritty and they tried to add much more realism. Essentially mimic a lot of what MW2 did. Some of it is good (bullet drop on long shots) but some of it is bad (excessive shaking, tough to focus). In any way, here are the pros/cons I have seen so far.

Pros
- Got rid of the old tracking system where a player would show up red on everyone's map once you hit them with a shot. If you see someone, you can call in a spot which turns them red on the map for everyone for about 10-15 seconds. This element really adds a level to the recon class and anyone else who is too far away to make a kill. You really have to work well as a team and it gives attackers more cover so they can get in stealthy (last version made it too easy to spot an attacker on the map).

- Assault class can now can drop ammo packs for teammates. They also lowered the amount of ammo you can carry so you need your teammates help or be more conservative with bullets.

- Classes have gone from 5 to 4 with each taking on some extra tools. Medics can now revive a dead teammate. Recon is given C4.

Cons
- Shaky, grainy, and just much more difficult to see people, aim, and shoot. Maybe some people like this but one of the reasons I like video games is because I don't have to deal with realistic stuff like my guy shaking all the time.

- Seems like they switched the artillery strikes with some remote control helicopter thing that sucks.

- Didn't see a few weapons I loved from the previous. Now these may be in the full game. Goggles to track a tank and ultimately drop a missle on. Air raid that support had in previous ones to clear out a building or hill.

- Now for the most colassal cons and one that is an absolute embarassment to any shooting game. When you get killed, you get to see where your killer was and what he is doing. So you know exactly where the sniper was after killing you or the spot someone is hiding in the house. I honestly don't get why the hell this would be added as it takes a huge element of strategy away.

Anyways, long review of the demo but I do really like the series. I'd say it's not really an improvement from the last one, just different. Graphics and engine are the same and it looks like EA chose not to really revolutionize what they had. Guess I shouldn't be surprised although I was hoping this series would take a bigger leap forward.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #193
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm having fun with the Battlefield Bad Company 2 demo. And I don't normally like FPS console games.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #194
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bioshock 2 on Tuesday. Cannot wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #195
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ugh 8 am class tomorrow or else I'd get Bioshock 2 at Midnight. Anyone else picking it up tonight?

Also, NCAA Hoops on EA looks to be officially canceled according to Pasta Padre. Would this mean a possible College Hoops return?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #196
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ugh 8 am class tomorrow or else I'd get Bioshock 2 at Midnight. Anyone else picking it up tonight?

I preordered on Steam and won't be playing it tonight because of no option to preload, but I did just notice the release time was moved up from 4 pm tomorrow to 2 am this morning. At least with the change I should be able to play after work tomorrow.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #197
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Also, NCAA Hoops on EA looks to be officially canceled according to Pasta Padre. Would this mean a possible College Hoops return?

I wonder. EA still has the NCAA license, right? I wonder if they wouldn't just keep paying it to keep 2k sports from making money.

Sucks that in 2010, there won't be any college hoops game though.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I wonder. EA still has the NCAA license, right? I wonder if they wouldn't just keep paying it to keep 2k sports from making money.

Sucks that in 2010, there won't be any college hoops game though.

Only a year or two ago, people were saying that claims of EA Sports decline were crazy talk. I don't think there's any question at this point that they're hurting. NHL and maybe Madden appear to be the only franchises that have any sort of positive momentum.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #199
MJ4H
Coordinator

FIFA has gotten better and better the past several years.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
FIFA has gotten better and better the past several years.

Somewhat true, though I would argue that the decline of the competition played a big part in that. But you're right that it has improved.