Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #151
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

That "report" goes against everything I know of and of heard of him. He is not the shit-talking type and I dont know why he'd start now, especially with lame crap like that.

The lack of downfield throwing though - that sounds like him
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #152
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I had the Dolphins as strong contenders for the AFC East this season. I suck at knowing how football teams will do.

Sad to see one of the marquee franchises doing so poorly. The NFL seems more right when the Dolphins are doing well.

Marquee franchises? Aren't they about 30 years removed from being relevant?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #153
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Marquee franchises? Aren't they about 30 years removed from being relevant?

About twenty.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I hadn't seen the Tannehill story until it was referenced here so in case anyone missed it like me, here's the original article that ESPN has been referring to
Sun Sentinel

If true that certainly has a "can't lead starving dogs to fresh meat" sort of ring to it.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #155
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Now, I don't think Detroit is some godawful team, but shouldn't the Seahawks be worried that they can't just put them away? I mean, a lucky break or two here and Seattle is 1-3.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #156
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Oh, the Lions...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #157
bhlloy
Coordinator

That is the most Lions thing ever
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #158
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh lord.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #159
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, nobody can say that Seattle was chastened by that play call in the SB. Ballsy
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #160
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I guess the Lions are officially back to being the Lions. That was horrible, I feel bad for Calvin Johnson.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #161
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Calvin.. What happened to you this year?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #162
Arles
Grey Dog Software

ESPN's ref just said the Seattle player who knocked the ball out of the endzone made an "illegal bat". He said it should have been Detroit ball on the 1-yardline. I guess there's something about Seattle and last second calls that make refs brain-dead.

In all seriousness, that's a pretty stupid rule if it does exist. Maybe penalize Seattle a few yards for the bat, but giving the ball back to Detroit on a meaningless bat after that great play by Kam would have been borderline criminal.

Last edited by Arles : 10-05-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #163
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRivals40 View Post
As I Broncos fan, I'd be the first to say this team is very disappointing to watch after years of sheer dominance.

But, they have something that we have not had in Denver since the Tebow Year....the heart to win, and the need to have that heart. In the past they've got to the playoffs by dominating almost every team in our path, then they face top opponents and crumble at any hardships. But now, they have the drive to win. The late comebacks and final defensive stops. Obviously, this is not the record-setting Broncos team we know and love. But I think it could be the team that goes the furthest come January.

On the first statement. . . no, just no. This team is not disappointing to watch. When you have a unit that is the best in the league, you can't say they are bad to watch. I've been a Broncos fan for many, many years and I'm not sure what dominance you speak of.
In the last 16 years the Broncos have won 4 playoff games and have missed the playoffs 8 times. They had a dominant stretch from 1996 to 1998.

As for the rest, it isn't heart. The first four games have been 2 things:

1) Dominant defense and timely turnovers
2) A late drive by Manning.

That's all fine and all, but the OLine needs to play better or the "heart" will end up cold and dead. Denver has flaws, and some serious ones.

All that said, damn I love watching that defense play. What a joy it is to watch.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #164
cmp
Pro Rookie

Too bad the ref couldn't see him knock it out.

cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #165
bhlloy
Coordinator

If that's the case it's not just the on field refs that missed it, as the play was reviewed afterwards
Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #166
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If that's the case it's not just the on field refs that missed it, as the play was reviewed afterwards

Sportscenter had an overlay that said the missed call itself wasn't reviewable.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #167
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's just stupid then, it's part of the turnover (who recovers the ball and how)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #168
cuervo72
Head Coach

Man, ESPN is trying to make a big deal out of this.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #169
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Well, Detroit would have had the ball on the half yard line, pretty big deal.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #170
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I thought all turnovers were reviewed. Isn't the act of the ball leaving the endzone the "turnover" getting reviewed?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This has now become a quintessential Lions' loss. They found a new way to lose a game - fumbling at the half yard line - and the refs blew a call that should have gone their way.

Maybe when I was younger, I would be angry. But that time has long passed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #172
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
In all seriousness, that's a pretty stupid rule if it does exist. Maybe penalize Seattle a few yards for the bat, but giving the ball back to Detroit on a meaningless bat after that great play by Kam would have been borderline criminal.

Really stupid play by Kam. He batted the ball out of the endzone. Why should Detroit be penalized for it?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #173
cmp
Pro Rookie

Can't pick and choose which rules you wish to follow though.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #174
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I agree the play should have been called correctly. I was just surprised it was a rule.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #175
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I thought all turnovers were reviewed. Isn't the act of the ball leaving the endzone the "turnover" getting reviewed?

Really don't know. I just know what the overlay said. It makes a bit of since though. You wouldn't review a holding call. You wouldn't review a fumble (which is what they were reviewing here) and then find a holding call on tape and enforce it. Really would need someone like Sak to come in here and explain it in more detail though.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #176
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Really stupid play by Kam. He batted the ball out of the endzone.

Kam ripped the ball away from Megatron. He wasn't involved in batting the ball out of the endzone in any way. He was out of the play the second he caused the fumble. It was a great play by him.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #177
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. The turnover extends to who recovers the ball. By batting the ball out of the end zone, that is directly influencing the state of the turnover. He batted the ball out so Detroit couldn't recover it.

It's apples and oranges compared to a holding play on a turnover. I can't see any way they can justify this, but it's possible ESPN is just talking out of their ass.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #178
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK, so it's a judgement call whether the bat was intentional or not and can't be reviewed. That part makes sense. Completely ignore my last post
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #179
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Jim Caldwell did a pretty good job pretending he knew about that rule in his press conference.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:46 PM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno why batting is even illegal. It kind of defies everything we know about sports.

And even if it's a foul, the Ball should go out on the 20 or something. It's like a corner kick but on steroids if it goes on the 1

Last edited by stevew : 10-05-2015 at 11:48 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #181
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Well screwing a team out of the ball at the one is kind of a big deal.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Calvin.. What happened to you this year?

The end is near.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I dunno why batting is even illegal. It kind of defies everything we know about sports.

A quick google suggests that this isn't all that unusual a call, nor is it one that seems to ever come in the NFL without some controversy (based on 5-6 different stories that popped up going back to 2013 or so).

I see illegal batting called at least once a season - sometimes more - in high school, but rarely is it controversial.

{shrug}
Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the NFL head of officials has now confirmed that they did indeed blow the call & that the ball should have gone to the Lions at the spot of the fumble.

Quote:
But NFL head of officials Dean Blandino confirmed the Lions actually should have gotten the fumbled ball back at the half-yard line on the play since the ball was intentionally batted out of the end zone by Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright.

Blandino, speaking to Monday Night Football after the game, said Wright should have been called for an illegal bat for hitting the ball out of the end zone. The penalty would have given the ball back to Detroit at the Seattle 1.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2015 at 11:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #185
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why even have reviews if they can't confirm this call via review.

I don't agree about this being a penalty, but if it is the Lions get screwed and then everyone stands around and shrugs their shoulders like "oh well".
Old 10-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Why even have reviews if they can't confirm this call via review.

I don't agree about this being a penalty, but if it is the Lions get screwed and then everyone stands around and shrugs their shoulders like "oh well".

It doesn't matter if you agree about this being a penalty or not, what matters is a ref who supposedly knows the rules looking straight at a guy doing what he did chose not to throw the flag. An incredible injustice was done. And like the last time this happened, it could have major ramifications for playoff berths, seeding and any number of other things.

I've heard they are going to review the fumble at the end zone thing in the off season and potentially change the rule. If there isn't a clear recovery by the defense, the ball will go to the one. IMHO, that's the way it should be. But, MHO doesn't matter at all.

Hatred of everything Seattle aside, the Lions got royally screwed and should have had a chance to win the game. I wonder how if Tate feels Seattle got a deserved win this time? I'm guessing he won't be as accepting of the blown call this time around.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #187
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

It makes sense if you consider the hypothetical of a live ball that is closer to the field of play, and surrounded by players, rather than a single defender near the end of the endzone...they want to keep the defending team from recovering a ball by simply slapping a contested ball out of bounds, kind of like how the rules were changed to stop "holy roller" type plays from advancing the ball through fumbling.

..as a Lions fan, I don't feel like I can really howl at the moon in protest, as it was a clear fumble and the Seahawks' player was obviously the nearest to the ball and had all rights to either recover the ball cleanly or just let it go out of bounds...hell, I didn't even know there was a controversy/missed call until I went to go read reactions to the game. That said, the rule IS in the books and the Seahawks player made a boneheaded play that he, and certainly the referee, should've known was illegal, and he should've been punished for it.

The league's & officials' mouthpieces are saying that it was the ref's subjective judgment call, and even though they're seemingly acknowledging the error and saying it was a bad call, I still get the impression that they're covering their ass a bit and I think the ref(s) just didn't know/apply the rules in this case, because the bat looks clear as day.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #188
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
The end is near.

With the way Dalton is playing, I am inclined to believe that.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #189
Logan
Head Coach

Blandino's initial comments, that the ref didn't believe the batting was "overt", when that word apparently isn't in the rulebook, is pretty bad. Just shows they were attempting CYA before (likely) realizing that Wright and Carroll both admitted he batted it out on purpose.

That back judge won't be seeing any playoff action for a few years at least.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #190
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Can't complain too much that a technicality screwed you after you fumble. Though that fumble probably cost me about twenty dollars on DK, I was so conflicted. Especially since I had three Seahawks that would have come into play on the ensuing drive. Could have been a triple digit swing.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That back judge won't be seeing any playoff action for a few years at least.

Must have been a college official

Pick Six: Glanville: 'NFL means 'Not For Long' - NFL Videos
Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #192
Butter
Coordinator

I must be a rules nerd, because I knew that was a "bat" as soon as I saw it.

Shame for Detroit, but that was a very Lions way to lose.

I feel a kinship with you Lions fans, I felt pretty bad that they lost like that.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #193
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yet Stevew feels bad about rooting for the Steelers.

It was a classic Lions way to lose, yanking defeat out of the jaws of victory. Heightened by the fact that they got screwed on the missed batting call. I'll admit I didn't think anything of the bat at the time. Incredible play by Chancellor.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #194
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I guess the Lions are officially back to being the Lions. That was horrible, I feel bad for Calvin Johnson.

if they can "be the Lions" for one more week, this Cards fan would apppreciate it
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #195
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So now Seattle has MNF wins with the Fail Mary and the Batastrophe. The conclusion of the trilogy will be next season when Pete Caroll just walks up at the end of the game and hands the scoreboard operator $100 to give the Seahawks 10 more points.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #196
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So now Seattle has MNF wins with the Fail Mary and the Batastrophe. The conclusion of the trilogy will be next season when Pete Caroll just walks up at the end of the game and hands the scoreboard operator $100 to give the Seahawks 10 more points.

I can't recall a slimier, more car salesman d-bag coach in the entire history of the NFL (at least in my lifetime) than a one Peter Caroll. How long before he runs out of Seattle ahead of a league investigation into something illegal/against the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #197
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I can't recall a slimier, more car salesman d-bag coach in the entire history of the NFL (at least in my lifetime) than a one Peter Caroll. How long before he runs out of Seattle ahead of a league investigation into something illegal/against the rules?

He's also a 9/11 truther.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #198
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Quote:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #199
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I must be a rules nerd, because I knew that was a "bat" as soon as I saw it.

Shame for Detroit, but that was a very Lions way to lose.

I feel a kinship with you Lions fans, I felt pretty bad that they lost like that.

Just another week of the Lions being the Lions...

Quote:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #200
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Gross. I had to look that one up. It seems he has a particular issue with the plane that hit the pentagon. I wonder where he thinks those people went.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote