Head Coach

UCLA landed 4* MLB Aaron Porter from locally here in SoCal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #153
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Mizzou message boards are pretty busy right now. Rumored that Mauk will commit to Mizzou later this week and Kiel will go to Indiana. Both shouldn't be too surprising given the schools these two have eliminated over the last couple of weeks. Kiel was down to IU and Mizzou. Mauk was looking at Notre Dame, Michigan, and Mizzou.

On the Hoosiers board on Scout, they say it was down to Alabama and Indiana for Kiel (Rivals and 247(?)). Some Michigan guy popped in is saying IU too, for whatever that is worth. I just want it to be official already. Enough with the rumors.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
On the Hoosiers board on Scout, they say it was down to Alabama and Indiana for Kiel (Rivals and 247(?)). Some Michigan guy popped in is saying IU too, for whatever that is worth. I just want it to be official already. Enough with the rumors.

As mentioned before, Bama and OU have already been told no due to distance a week or two ago. I expect that Mizzou will go down as well for the same reason. The kid just wants to stay close to home. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #155
MrBug708
Head Coach

As mentioned by who?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #156
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As mentioned by who?

Maj. Eaton: We have top men working on it now.
Indiana: Who?
Maj. Eaton: Top... men.
Attached Images
File Type: png TopMen.PNG (104.6 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 07-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As mentioned by who?

I mentioned it before. It hasn't been a secret for anyone that's been following this situation. He's eliminated schools thus far based on distance from his home. His comments in the articles over the past week or two made it perfectly clear. In the end, it doesn't really matter when a school is eliminated. In most cases, it's more advantageous to be eliminated early rather than late so you can act on your next option. Mizzou is very fortunate that their #2 QB option has waited for Kiel to decide.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #158
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ah, the Mizzou outsiders
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #159
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ah, the Mizzou outsiders

You don't have to be a Mizzou insider to read a newspaper. This is one of a few articles that states the exact same thing: distance and family is key and IU is very much under consideration.

Columbus East's Gunner Kiel keeps recruitment low key | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Quote:
In the meantime, Kiel has taken more visits. He has been to Alabama, Indiana and Oklahoma, driving his family to each school to gauge how far the distance would be from home. He said he'll also visit Missouri "really soon."

"I just thought to myself that I needed to go back and see all these colleges again and get to know how long the distances are," he said. "I've been making the drives (on visits). That's one thing that's been holding me back is the distance . . . the Oklahoma drive was very long. You can do it. It gets boring after a while and you get a little sore, but you can do it."

Though Indiana is the program with the least recent success on his list, Kiel is adamant that the Hoosiers are a viable contender. Bloomington is 45 minutes from his home and he has developed a good relationship with new coach Kevin Wilson, the former offensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

One perceived negative from the outside would be the possibility of competing with his brother Dusty -- who would be a redshirt junior when Gunner arrived -- for playing time.

"I've thought about that a lot and it would be a little weird," he said. "Then again, it's kind of a plus. He could help me learn the plays really fast. When he was a senior in high school and I was a freshman, he taught me a ton. He's my best friend and I love him to death."

Kip Kiel said it bothers him when those on the outside question Indiana as a possible destination.

"I've heard people say, 'Why Indiana?' " he said. "My answer is, 'Why not Indiana?' Coach Wilson was very important in (former Oklahoma All-American) Sam Bradford's development and he has top-notch assistants who have come in from other successful programs. It could be like Oklahoma, just an hour away from home."
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Thank god. Do. Not. Want. Mauk.

Judging from the scouting video of Mauk, he'd be a much better fit at Mizzou anyway. He ran the spread offense at his school and ended up the player of the year in Ohio as a junior. He'd be able to hit the ground running. It's the same reason Mizzou was recruiting Kiel. He ran the spread as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #161
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
You don't have to be a Mizzou insider to read a newspaper. This is one of a few articles that states the exact same thing: distance and family is key and IU is very much under consideration.

Columbus East's Gunner Kiel keeps recruitment low key | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
Maybe I'm dumb, but where in that article is Alabama eliminated?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #162
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe I'm dumb, but where in that article is Alabama eliminated?

It doesn't. But he makes it clear in that article (along with at least 2-3 other articles) that distance is a major concern. Couple that with comments on team message boards for all four schools that he told Bama and OU that they were eliminated, and it's not hard to believe those rumors. It's the same reason it's not hard to believe that MU will hear a similar call. It's also the likely reason that Mauk will be in to commit tomorrow to Mizzou.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #163
mckerney
Coordinator

Minnesota landed a commit from one of the top instate players this year, Isaac Hayes, who chose them over offers from Virginia Tech and Oregon State. Hopefully they can land the other two who are also offensive linemen and both have Auburn offers.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #164
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Minnesota landed a commit from one of the top instate players this year, Isaac Hayes, who chose them over offers from Virginia Tech and Oregon State. Hopefully they can land the other two who are also offensive linemen and both have Auburn offers.

I wouldn't have a lot of confidence going up against Chizik. This is nothing but gut instinct but something about him says dirty. (And its more than just Cam Newton)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #165
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I wouldn't have a lot of confidence going up against Chizik. This is nothing but gut instinct but something about him says dirty. (And its more than just Cam Newton)

One of them has said he wants to stay in the area so if Minnesota does miss out on him I don't think it would be to Chizik. I could see Will Johnson ending up there (he's listed as a TE now, but most of the people who've seen him play think he'll end up at left tackle).
Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #166
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It doesn't. But he makes it clear in that article (along with at least 2-3 other articles) that distance is a major concern. Couple that with comments on team message boards for all four schools that he told Bama and OU that they were eliminated, and it's not hard to believe those rumors. It's the same reason it's not hard to believe that MU will hear a similar call. It's also the likely reason that Mauk will be in to commit tomorrow to Mizzou.

WHat about the comments on other teams message boards that it's down to Indiana and Alabama. Are do we not believe those rumors?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
WHat about the comments on other teams message boards that it's down to Indiana and Alabama. Are do we not believe those rumors?

We get it. You're a MBBF troll. You can stop now. You're adding nothing to the discussion. This is a thread to discuss football recruiting, not to practice your Phoenix Wright skills.

Your disagreement is duly noted. Move on.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #168
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We get it. You're a MBBF troll. You can stop now. You're adding nothing to the discussion. This is a thread to discuss football recruiting, not to practice your Phoenix Wright skills.

Big +1.

Sometimes when you get shit from other posters it is well deserved for being a severe homer. Don't get me wrong I love your comments but I also understand the wrath you get. This guy just gets hard-on trying to question every single thing you post. If you posted the sky is blue he would try and link something that says that always isn't so. Not sure what the fascination is with Mizzou football and basketball. I think he just envies what Mizzou has become and UCLA once was.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #169
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mauk to Mizzou.

There is a god.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #170
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm just curious to see which message board insiders I can trust and which aren't. You continue to see things from a Missouri-slanted POV and while there isn't anything wrong with it, your inability to see your own hypocrisy is amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Big +1.

Sometimes when you get shit from other posters it is well deserved for being a severe homer. Don't get me wrong I love your comments but I also understand the wrath you get. This guy just gets hard-on trying to question every single thing you post. If you posted the sky is blue he would try and link something that says that always isn't so. Not sure what the fascination is with Mizzou football and basketball.

Why would I argue that the sky is blue when I can see it outside? It's 85 and clear here in the San Gabriel Valley

I know you *have* to defend him because it's your own personal honor at stake, but I only comment on when he posts speculation as matter of fact and opinions. Sure it's largely based on the past reputations, but I don't see any change in that philosophy so questioning what's being written. It's obnoxious and over the top and I certainly wouldn't blame Chief or..well...another UCLA fan to call me out if I was acting the same way. Just because we support the same school doesn't mean I can't think he's an idiot for a bad take. (Like if he were to say that Steve Lavin is a good coach)

I also don't make it personal like call him names or change the subjects to something personal and unrelated to what's being presented. I simply question what he's saying by listing the in accuracies.

I take crap for saying that UCLA has a higher level of admissions for athletes, though not quite as high as Stanford, but I get crap for it and understandably. But I can atleast link reputable sources for it and not saying that's "well known" or "believed" and leave it at that.

Quote:
I think he just envies what Mizzou has become and UCLA once was.

Hopefully UCLA was considered more that a decent athletic program at one time

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #171
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully UCLA was considered more that a decent athletic program at one time
Football National Championships:
UCLA: 1
Mizzou: 0

Basketball National Championships:
UCLA: 11
Mizzou: 0

I think UCLA does just fine in this comparison...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Mauk to Mizzou.

There is a god.

It's a fantastic development for Mizzou. Mauk has a relationship with the #1 rated player in America in 2012 and Mauk's commitment certainly can't hurt our chances of landing that player and keeping him in-state.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #173
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Mauk to Mizzou.

There is a god.

You're Mauking him, aren't you?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #174
General Mike
Pro Starter

Since no one posted it, Rutgers got a commit from Brandon Arcidiacono yesterday. Rivals has him as the #7 center, ESPN has him at #3 at C. Scout has him at #9, so he looks to be a consensus good OL prospect. Had offers from most of the major northeast regional schools.

We also got a commit from K Kyle Federico from Florida. I don't know how to judge a kicker, but I guess they liked what they saw.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #175
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ohio 4* Saftey Jarrod Wilson committed to Michigan today. #18
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #176
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ohio 5* OL Kyle Kalis committed to Michigan today. He had been an OSU verbal a month ago making him the first recruit for either side to flip as long as I can remember.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 07-10-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #177
Cuckoo
College Starter

So it looks like OU is out of the Gunner Kiel race as well, surprising since he was VERY close to committing at one point, according to some trustworthy sources. Down to Alabama and Indiana for him now, I guess.

Oklahoma has flipped San Antonio dual-threat QB Trevor Knight (4-star guy on the Rivals 250), previously committed to Texas A&M.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 07-14-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
So it looks like OU is out of the Gunner Kiel race as well, surprising since he was VERY close to committing at one point, according to some trustworthy sources. Down to Alabama and Indiana for him now, I guess.

Oklahoma has flipped San Antonio dual-threat QB Trevor Knight (4-star guy on the Rivals 250), previously committed to Texas A&M.

Interesting that you say it's only Bama and IU. Gunner's dad called the MU football office around lunchtime yesterday for more information. He's certainly not committed to anyone yet, but MU is still in the picture.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #179
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FSU got this guy:

Marvin Bracy
Ht: 5'9" | Wt: 173 lbs
24/7 #32 Receiver
Scout #26 Receiver
Rivals #38 Receiver
ESPN #14 Athlete
High School: Boone (Orlando, FL)

Also runs track. UF, LSU, and TAMU had also offered.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #180
Kodos
Resident Alien

hxxp://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/6783260/gunner-kiel-talks-recruiting

At this point, who knows where he'll go. Still hoping it's Indiana, but wherever he goes, I hope he is successful. Seems like a good kid with his head on straight.

Gunner Kiel talks recruiting

MALIBU, Calif. -- The nation's No. 1 quarterback prospect is closer to a college decision.

Strong-armed Gunner Kiel (Columbus, Ind./East) said Monday night after the opening practice at the Elite 11 finals that he hoped to make a choice before the start of his upcoming senior season.

Year of the Quarterback

ESPN has dedicated 2011 to examining one of the most crucial positions in all of sports -- the quarterback.
Year of the QB »
That's quite an admission from Kiel, who rarely grants interviews and talks even less often in public about the recruiting process. He's coveted by dozens of schools and is believed to have given strong consideration to Alabama, Oklahoma, Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan and Notre Dame.

"There's a few schools out there," Kiel said.

You see, that's the kind of insight Kiel typically offers.

He wanted to settle on a school in June but delayed the decision when word leaked of his plans. When he commits -- likely in August -- Kiel said he'll notify the lucky coach and tell his family. That's about it.

"I think about college the whole time," said Kiel, No. 12 overall in the ESPNU 150," but at the end of the day, I'm not going to make it a big thing.

"It'll probably just gradually get out."

Of course, there will be nothing gradual about the spread of news on Kiel's choice, which figures to create one of the biggest stories of this recruiting season.

[+] EnlargeGunner Kiel
Tom Hauck for ESPN.comGunner Kiel likes the new direction at Indiana, where his brother, Dusty, plays.
"I love the recruiting process," Kiel said. "To be honest, I couldn't be in any luckier position. There's kids out there who would die to be in the position I'm in now. I just think of it as a positive and take every day as a blessing." So why the tight-lipped approach?

"I don't like to talk about myself too much," he said. "I'm a big team player, so whenever I get interviewed I just keep it simple -- like I am right now."

He offered a couple of nuggets Monday, saying he had visited all of his finalists and that he planned no more trips. He has spent much of the summer in school to graduate in December and start his college career in time to participate on the field next spring.

Kiel said he likely would eliminate a school that includes another quarterback in its recruiting class. Notably, Oklahoma recently accepted a pledge from the No. 23-rated QB, Trevor Knight of Ronald Reagan High School in San Antonio. Knight previously had committed to Texas A&M.

"That's fine," Kiel said. "If that happens, then it wasn't meant to be."

But if Oklahoma's out, Kiel declined to confirm it.

He talked specifically about only one of his finalists -- Indiana, where his brother, Dusty, will be a redshirt sophomore this fall. Gunner said he liked the direction of the home-state Hoosiers under first-year coach Kevin Wilson.

"They're definitely going to come out and win football games," he said. "Coach Wilson's definitely a fiery guy. My brother is going to playing quarterback, so I'll be at games watching him and cheering him on."

Kiel talks regularly to his brother about Indiana, and he knows several players on the team.

"They've got their heads on straight to win football games," he said. "I really hope they do."

It would rank as a shocker in the recruiting world if Indiana landed the 6-foot-4, 222-pound Kiel. With his aversion to the spotlight, Kiel might just be the guy to do it, though.

He passed for 2,645 yards and 36 touchdowns in 11 games as a junior and headlines a 24-man field this week on the picturesque Pepperdine campus.

Kiel's attitude about recruiting does not translate to the field. He often led drills in his group Monday night and appeared at the center of playful activity among the young quarterbacks. Kiel performed well under the direction of former NFL QB Trent Dilfer and other instructors, including several current college quarterbacks.

Practices continue through Friday, with the naming of 11 finalists and a camp MVP. Kiel ranks as one of the favorites but is surely not a slam dunk with the likes of Jameis Winston (Hueytown, Ala./Hueytown), Connor Brewer (Scottsdale, Ariz./Chaparral) and others in attendance.

"I know it's out there that I'm the No. 1 quarterback in the nation, but that's just a number," Kiel said. "There's great players out here right now who people think are better than me. They could be right, but I don't really think of it like that.

"I've got to come out here and play my hardest, do my best. But I like to keep it low key."

Not an easy task, when you're Gunner Kiel.

Mitch Sherman is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #181
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Elite 11 was this weekend. Well, instead of 11 it became the Elite 24. It should be noted that when the final Elite 11 were named Gunner Kiel did not make the list.

I think Kiel is a damn fine QB and probably still is the best in the Nation, but this is just another awful year for QB's nationally. Next year seems to be pretty loaded though.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #182
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
The Elite 11 was this weekend. Well, instead of 11 it became the Elite 24. It should be noted that when the final Elite 11 were named Gunner Kiel did not make the list.

I think Kiel is a damn fine QB and probably still is the best in the Nation, but this is just another awful year for QB's nationally. Next year seems to be pretty loaded though.

BYU Commit Tanner Mangum is crushing it in the camps this year...He rocked in The Opening and did quite well in the Elite 11....Excited to get this kid on Campus and be the heir apparent to Jake Heaps...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #183
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Isn't there a ISHAA rule that prevents kids from Indiana participating in the Elite 11 finals camp? I think MarQueis Gray was invited but couldn't be a part of it for that reason.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #184
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Isn't there a ISHAA rule that prevents kids from Indiana participating in the Elite 11 finals camp? I think MarQueis Gray was invited but couldn't be a part of it for that reason.

That could be true. I read reports from 24/7 and I know there was a couple tweets that mentioned Kiel as participating. Could have very well been a mistake on their part.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #185
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan goes to Utah for their 20th commitment, picking up 3* FB Sione Houma.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #186
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And yes, a Samoan FB is probably the most bad ass thing ever.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #187
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Michigan goes to Utah for their 20th commitment, picking up 3* FB Sione Houma.

He is a tail back and the best on his team at Highland. He is big and fast will be a decent FB for you guys. But it will be interesting to see how much he is used as a FB now or if he sticks at tail back.

It's good to see Utah boys head outside of the state to other major Div I programs. I know Utah missed out on him and he wasn't on BYU's radar, although I do wish he was....UCLA is pushing for him to be a tailback..
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #188
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
He is a tail back and the best on his team at Highland. He is big and fast will be a decent FB for you guys. But it will be interesting to see how much he is used as a FB now or if he sticks at tail back.

It's good to see Utah boys head outside of the state to other major Div I programs. I know Utah missed out on him and he wasn't on BYU's radar, although I do wish he was....UCLA is pushing for him to be a tailback..

Thanks for the report. Yeah it was apparently a pure FB offer but in Al Borges offense, the FB gets some carries and is counted on to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well. Seems like he will bring some good versatility to the position.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #189
Kodos
Resident Alien

Reports are that Gunner is visiting IU today... perhaps to commit?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #190
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Reports are that Gunner is visiting IU today... perhaps to commit?

Would be nice to finally see him end the speculation and give Indiana fans a boost.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #191
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Come on Gunner...

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #192
Kodos
Resident Alien

God knows, if there is a fanbase in college football that deserves a boost, it is the long-suffering Hoosiers fans.

Conflicting reports on Scout. Some say he has already been there and left, others saying he'll go there this afternoon. Reportedly, his parents are with him, which sure sounds like a good sign.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #193
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And yes, a Samoan FB is probably the most bad ass thing ever.

I had a HS teacher who did Peace Corp stuff over there and he talked about how passionate they were and how that was a good and bad thing and all the more so when it came to sports. If you wanted your body left intact, you did not play football with them. The fact that you were a family member did not matter either.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
God knows, if there is a fanbase in college football that deserves a boost, it is the long-suffering Hoosiers fans.

Conflicting reports on Scout. Some say he has already been there and left, others saying he'll go there this afternoon. Reportedly, his parents are with him, which sure sounds like a good sign.

His parents go on all his visits, so I wouldn't read too much into that. They drove to Bama, OU, and MU with Gunner.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #195
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
His parents go on all his visits, so I wouldn't read too much into that. They drove to Bama, OU, and MU with Gunner.

Goodness! DON'T THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS?!?!!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #196
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kiel to IU confirmed. Congrats, Alien.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #197
Kodos
Resident Alien

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

This stuff simply doesn't happen to IU football!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Kiel to IU confirmed. Congrats, Alien.

Good thing his parents were there.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #199
Cuckoo
College Starter

Very cool... Good to see Kevin Wilson get a talent like that. I'll be rooting for the Hoosiers.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

This stuff simply doesn't happen to IU football!

Let the "God, I hope he doesn't suck after all this" phase begin.