Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #151
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
needs it's own thread

It does, i agree.

As for the cutting commercials, I at first thought "fat chance." But I think with the amount of in-game ads now (behind home plate) that it is not unreasonable to cut back on the normal commercials.

the division lineups would take some getting used to, but I agree that having only LCS' and then the WS is pretty attractive.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #152
Dutch
"Dutch"

I haven't paid much attention to baseball since 1994, so I might not be the right guy to agree with those ideas, Jim, but I like those suggestions.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #153
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hope Bruschi's injury isn't too bad.. no way he plays against Miami.. Samuel probably has a low grade concussion
Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #154
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Goodbye Monday Night Football (as we know it).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #155
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The end of an era. Growing up with the Montana/Young Niners, I have many good memories of staying up a bit past bedtime trying to catch the end of the game.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #156
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bruschi's done for the year. Serious Leg Injury.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #157
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Goodbye Monday Night Football (as we know it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #158
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
As for the cutting commercials, I at first thought "fat chance." But I think with the amount of in-game ads now (behind home plate) that it is not unreasonable to cut back on the normal commercials.

I imagine you have a better chance of seeing a pig fly out of Mike Piazza's ass than of seeing any sort of reduction in commercial minutes. Right now, the big network deals with MLB (Fox & ESPN) are struggling to make money (or probably even come close to breaking even) because of the enormous cost of the rights fees for MLB. As it is now the rates are so high for spots that it's a tough sell for most national telecasts & reducing the inventory would drive those up even further & make that situation even worse.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #159
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
The end of an era. Growing up with the Montana/Young Niners, I have many good memories of staying up a bit past bedtime trying to catch the end of the game.

Same here. I can distinctly rememeber sneaking around watching the game after bedtime a few times to finish watching the game. Then there are just a million epic games I can remember watching on Monday night:

• The Elway-Montana Denver-KC game
  • Jerry Rice breaking the receiveing TD record while Napolean McCallum broke his leg (yes, that was the same game)
  • Favre having that epic game the day after his dad died
  • The Jets ridiculous comeback against the Dolphins
  • A Tampa Bay-St. Louis game from around 2000 which is one of the very best regular season games I have ever seen
...and a zillion more. I can't wait to see what the ESPN clowns do with this next year.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #160
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This has nothing to do with Week 16 really, but i wasn't going to start a thread for it.And since the talk about Favre got me looking at things for other QBs I figured this place works.....

Joe Namath was a Pro Bowl QB in 1972, with these stats.....

1972 nyj | 13 games| 162 Att. 324 Comp. 50.0% 2816 Yards 8.7 YPA 19 TD 21 INT

I guess that was a down year for QB's? Of course Namath had a good year if he completed over 50% of his passes I guess so maybe that was what got him in. Or was it more people being nice since he had missed much of the previous two years?