Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #151
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Blackadar, stupid use of quotes around cheating as if you are implying that steroids were not cheating and a disgrace to the game.

NE's punishment should be consistent with the rules - probably similar to other illegal equipment infractions. And better policing by the nfl.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #152
Logan
Head Coach

Does that mean you think this is on par with guys wearing socks that are too low or the wrong color?

Although I guess gold cleats disqualify you from the game so maybe that should be Belichick's upcoming punishment?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #153
sabotai
General Manager

This story is just going to make it more fun for me to root for the Pats in the Super Bowl. Long live the Evil Empire!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #154
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
NE's punishment should be consistent with the rules - probably similar to other illegal equipment infractions. And better policing by the nfl.

NO, THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE MUST BE DESTROYED! BAN EVERYONE WHO TOUCHED THE BALL DURING THE GAME FOR LIFE. A PUBLIC HANGING AT MIDFIELD FOR BRADY AND BELICHICK WHILE FANS TEAR GILLETTE STADIUM APART. ANYTHING LESS IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #155
Subby
lolzcat

Bill Belichick took some air out of a football: The new Pearl Harbor | Kissing Suzy Kolber

Quote:
Like most people my first thought was that maybe the Patriots balls got deflated because Aaron Hernandez shot them all.

But no Im afraid it goes much deeper then that.

Bill Belichick is a psychopath- hes worse then Osama Bin Laden, BTK and Jerry Sandusky put togheter. I bet hes got a freezer in his house that is literaly filled with half-inflated footballs. We just as a society completely forgave Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky series of missunderstandings, are we really prepared to go through that exact thing again? When you think about it the only diffrence between this Patriot scandale and Penn State is the letter “H” since Belichick prefers it when theres not enough Air on the balls.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-21-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #156
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Logan, casts/uncovered braces/guards that can hurt or alter a players play. Or were you just being sarcastic?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

Not sarcastic, I've seen more fines for the stupid uniform issues than the ones you mentioned so I thought you were talking about those.

(BTW anyone else using Chrome and getting antivirus warnings here today? Random pages, when trying to quote?)
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #158
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
This story is just going to make it more fun for me to root for the Pats in the Super Bowl. Long live the Evil Empire!

... until the Seahawks kick their ass.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #159
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Blackadar, stupid use of quotes around cheating as if you are implying that steroids were not cheating and a disgrace to the game.

I'm just pointing out the apparent disassociation with some people regarding their reactions to other "cheating" scandals. Now that it impacts their favorite team they're fine with it. Not everyone, but it's fun to watch those who do.

And by the way, purposely deflating a bunch of footballs isn't simply an illegal equipment infraction like wearing the wrong color shoes. It would be akin to someone coating all of their DBs with Stickum. And the only reason you would demand better policing by the NFL is because you must think it's a problem in the first place. Of course, I'm not passing judgment either way as the one crucial fact - whether or not the Colts' footballs were similarly impacted - has still not been addressed.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-21-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #160
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Of course, I'm not passing judgment either way as the one crucial fact - whether or not the Colts' footballs were similarly impacted - has still not been addressed.

Yes it has. Both sets of balls were tested at halftime and the Colts footballs came back at normal weight.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #161
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yes it has. Both sets of balls were tested at halftime and the Colts footballs came back at normal weight.

Thank you.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #162
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Random thought: what if a team had a "hot room" at their home stadium for ball inflation?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #163
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heck, or just inflate to the desired pressure, then place in an oven before taking to be approved, then let 'em sit outside and cool for game time.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #164
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I'm just pointing out the apparent disassociation with some people regarding their reactions to other "cheating" scandals. Now that it impacts their favorite team they're fine with it. Not everyone, but it's fun to watch those who do. .

And I can't get enough of people equating things like purposely injuring players and performance enhancing drugs with deflating a football in order to justify their faux anger and righteous demeanor.

Comparing this to some pine tar on a baseball is the most appropriate one I've seen.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-21-2015 at 03:51 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #165
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Illegal equipment in baseball would include pine tar and inappropriately sized gloves.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #166
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I can't believe Sack posted all that twice!

Sack is a quick typer, and the original post was wordier.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #167
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
NO, THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE MUST BE DESTROYED! BAN EVERYONE WHO TOUCHED THE BALL DURING THE GAME FOR LIFE. A PUBLIC HANGING AT MIDFIELD FOR BRADY AND BELICHICK WHILE FANS TEAR GILLETTE STADIUM APART. ANYTHING LESS IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST!

Nah. There's almost certainly a penalty less than what I'd propose that would be appropriate to the offense committed.

Thing is, to me it isn't just about punishing the offense, it's about sending a message that the league takes it seriously. I'd wager that there isn't a team in football that wouldn't trade a second round pick for what they perceive as an improved shot at the Super Bowl. Hell, some might give up a first for that.

It isn't like we haven't seen teams trade their entire draft for a single player before, so, y'know...

Given that, "slap on the wrist" shouldn't be taken as "it doesn't cost them anything" so much as "it isn't a sufficient deterrent to prevent teams going forward from trying the same thing."

You can't unring the bell after the game, and you can't accurately assess the degree to which the tampering influenced the outcome. Given that, you either need a penalty so onerous that all but the most desperate teams will respect it (I say this mostly tongue in cheek, but I think there's at least even odds that the "death penalty" I proposed wouldn't dissuade a team like Detroit or Cleveland who just don't win playoff games that often), or you might as well ditch the rule.

Especially since ball preparation isn't solely the bailiwick of the home team anymore. There is no reason to continue to carry that rule on the books going forward if Goodell isn't going to drop the hammer on the Patriots here.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #168
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The key, for me, is whether Brady wanted them that way. If so, it's an intentional rules violation designed to give a team an advantage. I don't see how you don't punish the team.

But I don't know how you discover the truth here, unless there's tape of a ball boy using a needle on the game balls after they were inspected.

Brady supposedly has huge hands. I was curious about measurements, because I have trouble finding gloves that fit. The average is 7 1/2 inches. Mine are 9 even. But anything below 9 1/2 is considered small for an NFL quarterback. I can see why, in bad weather especially, this could be a very important issue for quarterbacks.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #169
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The "they cheated, but it didn't help" is continually one of the worst ways people use to defend someone accused of cheating. This same argument was used during the Spygate fiasco and of course is still used to defend steroid users.

If anything, this argument makes the Patriots look worse. They risked whatever punishment they're about to get for something they didn't need. If you cheat for whatever reason, you're a cheater. If you cheat when you didn't need to, then you're just a dumb cheater.

Or a schmuck...

New book adds to Kraft relationship with coaches - Sports - The Boston Globe

Quote:
Kraft also told Myers that he confronted Belichick about the taping.

“How much did this help us on a scale of 1 to 100?” Kraft asked Belichick.

“One,” Belichick replied.

“Then you’re a real schmuck,” Kraft said he told Belichick.

Kraft calling Belichick a schmuck. Well, that’s certainly an interesting exchange to think about.

Kraft said he never thought about firing Belichick after the controversy, and maintains that Belichick wouldn’t do anything “deliberately” wrong.

“He would take every edge he could get but he would never knowingly break the rules or cross the line,” Kraft said. “I know him. I’m not saying he was a choir boy.”

Deflate-gate for me is not a big deal for me. This is an another example of Belichick taking a edge. I don't agree that he would not knowingly break the rules. I think he (along with many others in all sports) believe it is not a rule unless it is enforced. Even if it is a rule, if they don't catch him (and the others) doing it all is fair. Nothing wrong with that unless you are a person who says a rule is a rule is a rule and must be followed no matter what.

The one thing I hope comes from this is a scrubbing of the official rulebook of all the "rules" that everyone breaks, everyone knows are being broken, and nobody gives a damn if they are broken or not.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #170
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Report: Colts Noticed Underinflated Footballs After November Game vs. Patriots
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #171
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
There are more theories out there; a scoreboard outside of the stadium that plays replays which is also visible to the Pats sideline (but not the opponent).
This is my favorite theory. Because while debating those close challenges Belichick wants to be looking at a TV instead of watching the field and letting the assistants upstairs who have TV's in the room decide if he should challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Maybe Belichick should be the commissioner!
Hey, it'd be like hiring a white-hat hacker. Who better to identify potential loopholes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Confiscate all draft picks for the next four years. In year five, confiscate the 1st-3rd rounders. Year six, 1st and 2nd rounders. Year 7, the first rounder.
Quote:
The "they cheated, but it didn't help" is continually one of the worst ways people use to defend someone accused of cheating. This same argument was used during the Spygate fiasco and of course is still used to defend steroid users.

If anything, this argument makes the Patriots look worse. They risked whatever punishment they're about to get for something they didn't need. If you cheat for whatever reason, you're a cheater. If you cheat when you didn't need to, then you're just a dumb cheater.
Ok, you caught us. "Losing" a first round pick, not spending up to the salary cap, playing with under-inflated balls, covering up Aaron Hernandez's murders until we inked him to a new deal that guaranteed him millions - they're not to gain an advantage, it's actually that Belichick a.k.a. the Quiksand of the NFL just likes playing with house rules vs. AFC East teams and the Colts so they're ready for tough teams like the Ravens, Broncos and Seahawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Patriots "bent" the rules again? Who would have thunk?
First Super Bowl in years I simply won't watch. I was actually going to cheer for the Patriots. Sorry, I can't do that anymore. I hope the NFL lays down a massive hammer on this. Beli is complete and total scum. (I suppose Beli, the guy who KNOWS EVERYTHING, had no knowledge about this, right?)
Oh please. A fan like you who has posted about all the evils of Belichick/the Pats, and gone through the Pats/Broncos wars for 10+ years was going to be rooting for them? But somehow this is the disgraceful and egregious act that broke the camel's back? Come on.

I'd say it even if I wasn't a Pats fan - hate both teams for their off-field demerits or "character" all you want, but if you're not interested in watching these two play on the field I don't know what to say. Once you get past all the PSI and Marshawn Lynch not talking/Hold Mah Dick celebration stories dominating the narrative, and even ignoring the fact it'll cement one of these two teams legacies, it's a great matchup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think they should lose a second rounder and the NFL should improve their ball management procedures. And any columnist with more than one gg in his first name should be set on fire depending on how hot his take is.
I'm about here until more concrete information comes out (if it ever does). Maybe upgrade it to a 1st rounder and another fine for Belichick/Kraft. But unfortunately in Goodell's NFL punishment is based more on media outrage than the crime itself, so the more people talk about it the worse I assume the eventual punishment will be.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alright-
6th rounder type infraction.
Upgrades to a 5th cause it's the Pats
Upgrades to a 4th cause of the playoffs
Upgrades to a 3rd cause Janay Rice got backhanded without sufficient penalty.

So a 3rd from the Pats goes to the Colts for their 6th rounder.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #173
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Rodgers said he was frustrated with the league because they inflated the balls to the max (13.5 PSI) and the refs would deflate them to 13 before the game. His initial claim was if the ball is within regulations (even at the max), why deflate it to 13? Then, he was asked if he thought there should be a max, and he said "No". That's a pretty big difference from monkeying with the ball after they were inspected to be outside of the allowed range.
Separating this out because I think the technical questions are pretty interesting and I'd be really curious to see a SportScience take on this. I've heard for years that Belichick likes that Brady throws a "point down" spiral, and thinks that really helps in windy conditions vs. Peyton Manning who throws a "point up" spiral, but that they never thought moisture made a difference there. I've always preferred to catch a slightly under-inflated football (and obviously it would be easier to hold onto), but I'm not so sure on the throwing part. We've heard that Rodgers at least prefers highly-inflated ones and I've always had trouble maintaining a tight spiral on longer throws with a noticeably under-inflated ball. The NFL standard is between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI, and if those 11 balls were all the way down at 10.5 PSI like I believe Mort was implying that seems like too big a difference, but I'd love to get a pressure gauge and check it out.

Also, it shouldn't affect any punishment, but just because Brady wants less PSI doesn't actually mean it helps. He's gone through stretches where he wore a glove on his throwing hand and it was pretty obvious any difference was mental. Brady and Belichick might be evil geniuses looking for every advantage, but sometimes they're wrong or overthink things.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-21-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #174
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Alright-
6th rounder type infraction.
Upgrades to a 5th cause it's the Pats
Upgrades to a 4th cause of the playoffs
Upgrades to a 3rd cause Janay Rice got backhanded without sufficient penalty.

So a 3rd from the Pats goes to the Colts for their 6th rounder.
You forgot
Upgrades to 2nd because Goodell* knew about the issue months ago and apparently did nothing.

* - Sorry, Goodell's underlings. He of course never heard or saw a thing.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #175
mckerney
Coordinator

So third rounder to the Pats to be replaced by the Jets third rounder for their tampering with Revis.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #176
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Is it the most realistic penalty? Maybe not. But the question is, do you want to prevent it happening again, or is it not that big a deal? If the former, you drop the hammer. Maybe that means a ludicrous penalty, but you make sure that nobody thinks it's worth trying in the future.

If you don't think it's a big deal, you dock them a 4th rounder because the rule was broken, and change the rule going forward.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #177
dzilla77
High School Varsity

So I am going to *try* to add some *logic* to the conversation. I don't recall seeing anywhere that the *weight* of the football was less. Did they not weigh them as well as check pressure? Or did they weigh them, the weight was the same, but that fact doesn't support the story it has been conveniently left out. My guess is they didn't bother to weigh them.

There is a lot of benefit of the doubt right now (which doesn't apply in the court of public opinion).

Faulty pressure gauge used to inflate/verify the balls originally?
Different ambient temperatures where the balls were inflated (Colts vs. Pats)?
Colts inflated their balls to the higher limit because Luck likes them hard resulting in a higher pressure when they hit the field?

Sadly, the Pats will not get due process on this, because the public will want something done, regardless of what really happened.

Also, it was reported that all 11 under-inflated balls were the exact same pressure. Not sure the exact process for how the balls are handled, but that seems like it would take a bit of time to get them all "just right".
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #178
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Dolphins fan here. Can't say I give two shits about this. If the NFL doesn't want teams fucking with the footballs, then don't allow them to have them.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #179
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Dolphins fan here. Can't say I give two shits about this. If the NFL doesn't want teams fucking with the footballs, then don't allow them to have them.

This. Absolute non story from my perspective. Chart it up to just another home team advantage and I would be stunned if other teams aren't doing it as well.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #180
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Doesn't the fact that Aaron Rodgers (and likely others) prefers the balls in the exact opposite condition speak somewhat to the seriousness of the crime and the amount of competitive advantage gained?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #181
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This. Absolute non story from my perspective. Chart it up to just another home team advantage and I would be stunned if other teams aren't doing it as well.

You mean like watering the grass in front of home plate? Surely that has cost visiting teams some games, no?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #182
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think the best analog may be stick curvature in hockey. It's almost a matter of preference rather than advantage. Although you may gain some fractional benefit (grip?) it seems it would likely also come with a fractional cost (velocity?).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #183
bhlloy
Coordinator

If MLB gives a shit about watering the grass in front of home plate then inspect it every game. Same as the NFL, if they don't want footballs being inflated or deflated then don't put the teams in charge of it. Spend some of those billions on some minimum wage workers to manage the balls instead.

If this wasn't the Pats I seriously doubt this story would have seen the light of day. It's an absurd non story and we don't have any idea of what actually happened or whether the Pats even gained an advantage from it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #184
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Is it the most realistic penalty? Maybe not. But the question is, do you want to prevent it happening again, or is it not that big a deal? If the former, you drop the hammer. Maybe that means a ludicrous penalty, but you make sure that nobody thinks it's worth trying in the future.

If you don't think it's a big deal, you dock them a 4th rounder because the rule was broken, and change the rule going forward.
So your two options are lose every draft pick for 5 years when the most ever done before is 1 1st and impose literally unprecedented restrictions in any sport on re-signing players or signing veteran free agents (btw good luck getting those two past the NFLPA, even as weak as it is) or lose 1 4th rounder? That's quite the disparity!

And it's incredibly easy to stop teams from doing anything going forward - spend the $1000 per game it'll take to have independent ballboys. I would've assumed the NFL started doing it when they cracked down on kickers messing with balls and started controlling those, but for whatever reason they only went halfway. Just like the NFL started sending independent timers to stadiums recently iirc - no idea why they haven't been used for 20+ years with all the money the NFL brings in and all the money on the line each game. You don't need to impose some ludicrous penalty as a deterrent when the answer's cheap and staring you in the face.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #185
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If MLB gives a shit about watering the grass in front of home plate then inspect it every game. Same as the NFL, if they don't want footballs being inflated or deflated then don't put the teams in charge of it. Spend some of those billions on some minimum wage workers to manage the balls instead.

If this wasn't the Pats I seriously doubt this story would have seen the light of day. It's an absurd non story and we don't have any idea of what actually happened or whether the Pats even gained an advantage from it.

This is actually where I think the owners would say "ok - cut this shit out" -- when it starts to hurt their bottom line. Because really they are spending money to police themselves. If all 32 owners have to have additional financial/logistical headaches because of one team, I think they'd be a little irked.

Again, not the most direct comparison but it's like rules in MP leagues. Some of them are just not very easy to check and you rely on the owners to self-police. If one doesn't you piss off the other owners who were competing under the rules, you piss off administration that would like not to have to deal with this stuff. And you smack that one guy upside the effing head, if not boot him altogether because he's making everyone else's life more difficult.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #186
Buccaneer
Head Coach

MP?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #187
TroyF
Coordinator

Just some random things from what I've read:

1) larrymcg just nailed it with his post. I am so F'ing sick of the "It didn't matter in the outcome of the game, so it's a non issue" garbage. That isn't the way your parents raised all of you. Cheating is NOT ok, even if it didn't impact the result. It defies logic to begin with. If it's minor and not important to the outcome, why do it? If everyone does it, why are the Patriots the first team caught and why didn't the Colts "cheat?" Cmon, you ALL know the answer to this. It has made a difference. They do it because it works. Stop making the Patriots out to be these lovable guys who just happen to find themselves in horrible situations that are out of their control. They are doing this to themselves.

2) I have two choices here. Either I believe Beli and the Patriots cheat in just about every way they possibly can cheat to win OR I believe that Beli has only cheated twice in his life and got caught both times. I'll let you figure out which one I think is accurate.

3) I WAS going to cheer for the Patriots in the Super Bowl. No, I haven't liked the Patriots or been a fan. That said, I cheered for them when they played the Ravens a few years ago. I was cheering for them on the night of the tuck rule. (God, I hate the Raiders) I was cheering for them in the first Giants Super Bowl. (not the second) And I would have been cheering for them a week from Sunday. I despise the Seahawks. Can't stand Sherman, can't stand Carrroll, can't stand Lynch. (note: I love Earl Thomas and really like Russell Wilson)

4) Last thing, I'm really sick of the Rodgers talk. Did anyone even listen to what he said? He stated he would pump them up higher and was pissed the refs lowered the air. He never stated he tampered with the ball after the fact. The comparison is asinine.

5) Brady laughed off the cheating allegation on Monday. The goofy laugh with "I've heard it all now" comment. Yeah, Tom. You had no idea. But you did, didn't you Tom? Or are you going to tell me a ballboy did it without your knowledge? Do you think we are all that stupid?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #188
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So your two options are lose every draft pick for 5 years when the most ever done before is 1 1st and impose literally unprecedented restrictions in any sport on re-signing players or signing veteran free agents (btw good luck getting those two past the NFLPA, even as weak as it is) or lose 1 4th rounder? That's quite the disparity!

And it's incredibly easy to stop teams from doing anything going forward - spend the $1000 per game it'll take to have independent ballboys. I would've assumed the NFL started doing it when they cracked down on kickers messing with balls and started controlling those, but for whatever reason they only went halfway. Just like the NFL started sending independent timers to stadiums recently iirc - no idea why they haven't been used for 20+ years with all the money the NFL brings in and all the money on the line each game. You don't need to impose some ludicrous penalty as a deterrent when the answer's cheap and staring you in the face.

They only need to come up with a cheap answer because a couple of douche bags decided they didn't want to play within the rules.

It would have been incredibly easy for the Patriots to have been like the Colts on Sunday and used balls that were in the guidelines and not altered them after they were looked at. I guess this idea is that the NFL made it too easy and the Patriots just couldn't help themselves, huh? Nice excuse.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #189
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1) larrymcg just nailed it with his post. I am so F'ing sick of the "It didn't matter in the outcome of the game, so it's a non issue" garbage. That isn't the way your parents raised all of you. Cheating is NOT ok, even if it didn't impact the result. It defies logic to begin with. If it's minor and not important to the outcome, why do it? If everyone does it, why are the Patriots the first team caught and why didn't the Colts "cheat?" Cmon, you ALL know the answer to this. It has made a difference. They do it because it works. Stop making the Patriots out to be these lovable guys who just happen to find themselves in horrible situations that are out of their control. They are doing this to themselves.

2) I have two choices here. Either I believe Beli and the Patriots cheat in just about every way they possibly can cheat to win OR I believe that Beli has only cheated twice in his life and got caught both times. I'll let you figure out which one I think is accurate.

Agree with both of these points.

As a ref in youth soccer, I check every single soccer ball that is being used for the game I'm reffing and hold on to the ball and put it at the center circle. If we need another one for some reason, the new ball goes to me first to check it for air pressure, etc. I'm not saying it's the same as far as an advantage for a soccer player, but there are air pressure rules in soccer just like football and it baffles me that refs in football check them way before the game and then give them back to the teams.

That will all change now.. but sheesh....

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-21-2015 at 10:23 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #190
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
MP?

Multiplayer. FOF (or OOTP) comparison.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #191
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, there are some incredibly lame reaches going on in this thread...

If the NFL doesn't want it to happen, don't give them a chance...

But it didn't change the outcome of the game...

blah blah blah

They freaking cheated... AGAIN

It doesn't matter that the NFL didn't have a better system in place and it doesn't matter that it didn't change the outcome of the game. If you get caught cheating on a test the teacher doesn't punish you based on whether you would have passed the test without cheating or not. It also doesn't matter that the teacher turned his, or her, head for a few minutes allowing you the chance to cheat. Take freaking responsibility for your own actions.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #192
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Oh noes, Troy not going to cheer?!? That mean he'll be watching the refs instead.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #193
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
3) I WAS going to cheer for the Patriots in the Super Bowl. No, I haven't liked the Patriots or been a fan. That said, I cheered for them when they played the Ravens a few years ago. I was cheering for them on the night of the tuck rule. (God, I hate the Raiders) I was cheering for them in the first Giants Super Bowl. (not the second) And I would have been cheering for them a week from Sunday. I despise the Seahawks. Can't stand Sherman, can't stand Carrroll, can't stand Lynch. (note: I love Earl Thomas and really like Russell Wilson)
Good god this is like square 1A in Sports Radio Call-In Show Hot Take Bingo.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #194
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh noes, Troy not going to cheer?!? That mean he'll be watching the refs instead.

Hey, nobody cares what I am going to do. I'm good with it. As for who I'll watch? That answer is easy. If I can't cheer for either team and I don't respect either team, I'll simply pass. I can play FOF. I can play FM. I can take a nap. I can watch puppy bowl. I'll watch the commercials on You Tube the next morning. I'll simply pass on this Super Bowl. No big loss, there will be 100 million or so other people watching the game. I don't have a big enough ego to think I'll be missed.

Maybe I'll use an editor to cheat on FM. I'll set it up to where my guys foul every player for the entire game, but make it to where I get the penalty call.

That way I can feel like both the Patriots and Seahawks.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #195
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But that makes you a hypocrite since you did root for the 97/98 Broncos, didn't you?

Even though I obviously have a rooting interest, football on TV esp. the over-wrought, over-produced super bowl and its commercials have little interest for me. Can't remember the last time I watched more than 20 minutes. Doesn't make me much of a fan apparently but at least I don't have to pretend watching or not watching means anything.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #196
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
But that makes you a hypocrite since you did root for the 97/98 Broncos, didn't you?

Ah, the teams that were too big of dirty, corrupt cheaters for even Al Davis to tolerate.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #197
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Depends on how serious the NFL thinks it is. Is it a big damn deal that has to be prevented going forward, or is it something stupid that should be changed but because the rule's still on the books, the Patriots technically have to be punished?

If it's serious, you come down on it. Hard. Like, way hard. The NFLPA might have an issue with it, but as toothless as the union is when it comes to player discipline, I very much doubt they'd have the spine to fight franchise discipline.

Quote:

And why would the other 31 teams say 'yes let's spend additional funds to pay new employees because one team pissed in the pool'? If they drop the hammer on New England, it will make every other team in the league think twice about repeating those actions, with no additional out-of-pocket costs necessary.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #198
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Good god this is like square 1A in Sports Radio Call-In Show Hot Take Bingo.

idk,, PFTCommenter has probably forgotten hotter takes than that while blacked out on habanero lime MD 20/20. that guy get's it IMO

Last edited by nol : 01-21-2015 at 11:54 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #199
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
idk,, PFTCommenter has probably forgotten hotter takes than that while blacked out on habanero lime MD 20/20. that guy get's it IMO

For a truly hot taek you need to tie this to a huge match fixing conspiracy.

» Deflategate: NFL Refs Allegedly Never Noticed Deflated Footballs Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #200
Butter
Coordinator

Can't believe this thread is almost 5 pages. Did someone feed it after midnight? Get it wet?