Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #2051
AlexB
Pro Starter

I was OK until the last mile: at that point I had to go through an underpass to get across the main road, and the two flights of steps did me! They always hurt at the end of a run, but had few more miles in them this time, and was tough to get going again. Was surprised the pace hadn't dropped much as it felt like I was running in treacle!

I think I'll try and do a proper half so that I can have some water/food on the way as I'm sure that will help.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #2052
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Definitely would help, plus you get extra adrenaline from a race environment that also will help too.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #2053
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Definitely would help, plus you get extra adrenaline from a race environment that also will help too.

+1

I had forgotten how much it adds having other people around when I did the bike ride last weekend. Most all of my training rides were solo, and I could tell a big difference.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #2054
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Well, I gone and done it again. I signed up for the Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland in January 2016. Time to go out and restart my training!
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #2055
Kodos
Resident Alien

May the Force be with you!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #2056
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Could use some advice. I received both the Garmin Forerunner 225 as well as the Fitbit Surge as gifts. I'm leaning towards keeping the Garmin but was hoping that you guys might have some helpful input on the matter. Thanks!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #2057
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Could use some advice. I received both the Garmin Forerunner 225 as well as the Fitbit Surge as gifts. I'm leaning towards keeping the Garmin but was hoping that you guys might have some helpful input on the matter. Thanks!

I think it depends on what you are wanting to get from it.

DC Rainmaker's review on the Fitbit Surge is that he would not really recommend it for endurance athletes due to various shortcomings. My personal opinion is for endurance athletes (cyclists/runners/etc), the Garmin 225 that you have is far better for many many reasons.

If you are just wanting a fitness tracker, the Surge is reportedly fine with doing that (if not perhaps overkill in some areas).

So:
daily fitness tracker with perhaps occasional run thrown in = Fitbit Surge
Endurance tracking (Running/Cycling/etc) = Garmin Forerunner

Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #2058
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I think I am just going to pretend last week never happened running-wise. I don't recall a single time in the past few years where I've completely bombed one run after another, after another like last week.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #2059
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it depends on what you are wanting to get from it.

DC Rainmaker's review on the Fitbit Surge is that he would not really recommend it for endurance athletes due to various shortcomings. My personal opinion is for endurance athletes (cyclists/runners/etc), the Garmin 225 that you have is far better for many many reasons.

If you are just wanting a fitness tracker, the Surge is reportedly fine with doing that (if not perhaps overkill in some areas).

So:
daily fitness tracker with perhaps occasional run thrown in = Fitbit Surge
Endurance tracking (Running/Cycling/etc) = Garmin Forerunner

I'm not really concerned with daily fitness tracking, just getting back to running on a regular basis with a reliable GPS device. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #2060
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm signed up for a pretty tough ride in September. It is out in Fort Davis, TX, and is a 76 mile ride on a scenic loop around a mountain out there. It goes past the McDonald Observatory. There is a total gain of over 4,000 feet in elevation. Then on Sunday there is a short, but brutal hill climb that goes to the big telescope domes at the Observatory. It averages around a 15% grade for the climb.

Here's the big ride profile:
http://www.mapmyride.com/us/alpine-t...oute-134799109

BUT... I'm afraid my un-operated on knee is going to lose that status in the not too distant future. It is starting to do some of the same stuff the other knee did before it got worked on. It isn't bad, but it does occasionally give me issues.

Last edited by cartman : 07-13-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #2061
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ugh, for both Alan and cartman. Especially cartman.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #2062
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I'm not really concerned with daily fitness tracking, just getting back to running on a regular basis with a reliable GPS device. Thanks for the response.

This answers my main question. Given that, the Garmin is definitely your best pick. The 225 can also serve as a daily activity tracker...

FM
Old 07-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #2063
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Ok, I think I am just going to pretend last week never happened running-wise. I don't recall a single time in the past few years where I've completely bombed one run after another, after another like last week.

ugh, As I said, live to run another day or in your case, another week. Takes bad ones to enjoy the good ones.

meanwhile, I'm having maybe the best weeks I've had in forever. Put back to back runs of 10 and 20 miles (my first 20 miler ever, almost 3 hours on the road is a long time) on the weekend, sorta kinda giving me confidence over the whole surviving 26.2 miles at once...

30 miles in two days helped me get to 50 miles in the week for only the second time since I started running, and the first time this season. This week is a cutback/recovery week with 37.5 miles planned but next week will be another big one that will end with a 28K race in which we'll do a 7K loop. You can sign up for as many laps as you want and since I had a 20 miler (32 km) planned for that week, I decided to sign up for 4 laps. Just learned this morning that there's a pretty decent in on the loop, huh, ok. I will not race this one like crazy but instead plan to run it at marathon pace.

Then a couple weeks later I'll do another 10/20 weekend but the 10 will be done at marathon pace on Saturday. I'll then enter my taper for about 2.5 weeks or so...

FM
Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #2064
HerRealName
College Prospect

That was a great 20 miler, FM. You look to be on track for a great debut.

Alan, what is your stinky clothes strategy on your trip? I have some old beat up stuff set aside for our next trip. I've been holding back trashing them for the next couple runs on the road but I don't have enough.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #2065
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Alan, what is your stinky clothes strategy on your trip? I have some old beat up stuff set aside for our next trip. I've been holding back trashing them for the next couple runs on the road but I don't have enough.

After I shower, I then run all of my stinky clothes through the shower and rinse them completely. I then hang them up to dry in the shower/bathroom of the hotel. Once I'm ready to leave, all of the running clothes go in their own little plastic bag to travel back home. Then a full wash at home again.

(I have enough running shirts/shorts/ running boxers/socks/etc to make it a full week though)

Old 07-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #2066
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Last Friday my kits (10 and 15) and I climbed the highest mountain in Northern Europe
Its “only” 2,469 m (8,100 ft.) and a very easy climb but it was more than enough for me as I don’t like heights.

Galdhøpiggen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Drop Box

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 07-20-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #2067
Subby
lolzcat

That is awesome!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #2068
Subby
lolzcat

Here is the hardest thing I have done this year. Basically death by a thousand paper cuts.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #2069
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks fun....
Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #2070
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's like looking at an emotional child scribbling on coloring paper.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #2071
Subby
lolzcat

That's basically how I felt after mile 50.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #2072
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Still trying to get back in shape this year, but while on vacation I had a chance to run in Denver and Rapid City, SD. The higher elevations at both places was a (fun) challenge, but the temperatures were so much better than what I'm accustomed to.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #2073
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Well, I've come back to the racing scene. I've been sidelined from racing, and pretty much running in general, recently due to a bout with bronchitis. Couple that with a bum knee, it's diifficult getting in a couple of miles in a single training run.

Well, I just ran a 5k race last weekend, and as expected I ran my worst 5k outing since starting this whole racing thing two years ago. But no worries. At least I finished!

Next up is the Long Beach HM in October (I believe CR is currently training for this as well!). If my own training (read: my knee) goes well, I will run this. If not, I'll pass. Due to some system error in the 2014 race, I was double-entered into that race even though I paid once, so they deferred my second entry to this year. Free entry for 2015!! So I won't be missing out on anything if I do not run Long Beach.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #2074
cartman
Death Herald

Participated in the Blazin' Saddle ride in Granbury, TX on Saturday. I rode the 44 mile route. Finished in 3:45, for an average speed of 11.75mph. Was hoping to hit 12.5mph, but the climbs killed me. The repaired knee just doesn't seem to like grades higher than about 5%. About 75% of the uphill sections were above 5%, including a couple of long (~1 mile) climbs. So my average speed went way down on the climbs, which you can see in the Strava report. I bonked out on the last climb of the day, which also was the steepest. At least it was all down hill to the finish from there, and I hit a top speed of 43.4mph on the descent.

I hope I can do something to help my knee handle climbs better before my ride in September. That one will have about twice the elevation gain as the ride I just did, and will be another 30 miles longer. Otherwise it will be a long day in the saddle.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #2075
Kodos
Resident Alien

RunKeeper has fucked up in 3 of my last 5 runs or so. Maybe time to switch to a new running app...
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #2076
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

A good weekend of racing for the FOFC crowd it seems

Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #2077
hoopsguy
General Manager

Pretty good weekend for me. Got my first half marathon race in the books, and finished just under 1:50. Was expecting to get 1:53, and if everything broke right then thought 1:50 was in reach.

Temperature cooperated - 64 at race start, very cloudy, although humidity was pretty high.

Health cooperated - no meaningful pain in my left knee, which slowed me down earlier in the summer.

Event cooperated - lots of runners helping set pace, enough room to maneuver on the course, plenty of water/Gatorade stations.

So, time for some new goals. I've got another half in two weeks, and if I get similar road conditions I think I can take another minute off the time. This upcoming course does not look as hilly, and I'm hoping that I can improve my fueling process a bit to avoid stalling out in the last 5k. I have no visions of negative splits, but would like the last quarter to be more consistent with the rest of my run.

After that, I'll likely start doing some thinking about what kind of runs I want to focus on. I've had fun working towards the half marathons, but I don't envision a full marathon in my future. So if that is the case, I may decide to focus on 5K/10K run performance with an occasional long run rather than continuing to nudge up the distance.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #2078
digamma
Torchbearer

Wanted to point out that Subby is doing a really cool thing this month. He's committed to riding 1,000 miles in September to raise money for Alex's Lemonade Stand.

You can show him a little love by donating to his cause here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #2079
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
A good weekend of racing for the FOFC crowd it seems

yes, great weekend of racing for FOFC runners! your good 10K, hoopsguy's very good first half marathon and there was this little run of mine

Levis-Quebec SSQ Marathon
Race report of my first marathon
On August 30, 2015, I became a marathoner.

Sunday was a beautiful day which brought the end to a long training sycle. I had told many of my runner friends I didn't really really nervous about this first marathon, rather feverish. I just could not wait. Even better, I was presenting myself to the start line in pretty good shape, no real big injury concerns...

I had run this marathon course before, but as two separate half marathon. The first 13.1 miles as a Spring half, twice, failing to finish once, and since I ran the half marathon as part of the same weekend a year ago, and the half shares second half of his course with the marathon, well I knew all about it.

I had run the first 5 miles of the course during a ssemi-long run and I knew what to expect. The rest was a bit more unknown. I remembered the hills that would come as we'd crosse the bridge over the St. Lawrence river from when I ran the half last year but back then, I had about 2 miles on me when I got to that point. This year, it would be after 15 miles or so that I would see them...

I started the race without really having a goal time in mind, no real objective but simply a guess as to what I thougth was possbile, if that makes any sense. My main goal for this first marathon was really to absorb most of the course, the energy of the crowd, really live the race. There are many spots of my first half marathon that I don't even remember, I didn't want this to happen this time.

I started my training cycle with a possible marathon pace at about 8:00/km for a race time of about 3:30. That pace evolved over time during the 17 weeks that my training plan lasted since my half marathon back in May. At one point, I was almost aiming at 7:35 or so. I ran a 28K race with good hills a couple weeks before my last 20 miler and ended up with an average pace at 7:40.

The first 10K of the course started with a slight uphill over about 1.5 miles, then all downhille for a long while. At the 10K mark, I was averaging 7:23 for pace, slightly fact yet I wasn't overworking myself.

From there to about the 22K mark, it was mostly more little downhills and flat running. I ran that 12K segment right at my latest marathon pace of about 7:35. I was feeling good, heart rate in check.

Two good hills after that and my pace had slowed down considerably. My heart rate has also peaked heavily, hitting 164 BPM at one point which for me is at the range of the end of a 10K race, not something I wanted to see in the middle of a marathon.

We then went over the bridge and there I kinda struggle hitting back my pace. Not really hitting a wall, but just staying a tade slower.

Past the bridge was a big downhill to the last long stretch on Champlain Boulevard. That stretch was VERY rough last year and I had only 10 km to do on a half marathon. What makes this section difficult is the fact that it can get very hot as soon as the sun comes out even just a little bit. Luckily for us, is was kind of cloudy this year, but I now had more than 30 km in me instead of only 11.

At about the 35K mark, I decided to run by heart rate and not by pace. It was getting tougher and tougher and I didn't want to relive what had happened in my first half marathon, which is end up at the ER.

It worked out ok for a little while but my pace kept slowing down. The last 8-9 km (about 5-5.5 miles) were the toughest I've run so far in my short career as a runner. Then we got to the last stretch, the crowd lifted me. I saw my wife and sons on the left, then crossed the finish line and heard my name on the left. My mother and sister were there. I didn't expect them to be there so that was a really nice surprise.

Official time: 3:28:29

I ran my first marathon, finished it, and all of that under 3:30!!! Absolutely ecstatic about it, really!

I'm turning 45 in November and with that, fall in the BQ age category of 45-49. My BQ is 3:25. I end up so close, but I don't beat myself over it. I realized in the week leading to the race that even if I were to make that time, I wouldn't feel ready to go race Boston at what would most probably be my second marathon ever...

Overall, I really enjoyed this race. Yeah, it was physically and mentally demanding but I never really felt like I was about to die. For about 3/4 of the race, up until it got much tougher, say around the 33rd km or so, I engaged with the crowd, telling them not to let us down, not to give up on us. Similar to a defensive football player, I often looked to the crowd with arms up, palms open asking them for some noise. I will remember this first marathon for a long time.

My son, my two sons and even my mother-in-law were volunteers at the 5K water station. I was just pumped to see them. Just as pumped as I was to see my oldest son's drum teacher in a band along the 35th km or so. I enjoyed the whole training cycle probably more so than my previous half marathon training cycle.

I know I have a faster time in my legs with a little bit more training over time, a little more technique, and running without my 6.5 lbs hydration backpack. Yeah, I decided to run with it. I had trained with it, it felt like my security blanket even though I knew there would be water station every 2 miles. Even though I wasn't stopping at water station, I took the time to thank volunteers for their time.

I finished 162th out of 1329 overall and 47th out of 308 in M40-49

Ran my first half in 1:38:40 and the second half in 1:49:50 so not really even split, but that's ok for my first shot at this thing.

But even though I ran my second much slower than my first, I made gained positions. I was 172th overall at the half and 55th in M40-49.

Overall, I don't think I could have asked for a better first experience at the marathon distance. Just about perfect weather too.

I liked it so much that I signed up for marathon #2 that will happen on May 29th 2016 in Ottawa. They claim the Scotiabank Ottawa marathon is the largest marathon in Canada with 6000 runner. Every one of my friends who has run it say it is a must. I'm already looking forward to it.

For now, it rest time. I've been on a training plan or another for the last 29 weeks, going back to February 9th. Racing season is about over for me. Might sign up for one last one, but then maybe not. I will volunteer for a local half marathon in a week and a half though. That should be fun.

Here's the link to the Garmin activity if anyone is interested
Garmin Connect - Error

Here are some pictures!

Me and three runner friends decided we'd run the marathon in superhero shirts. I just HAD TO run as Flash

Don't I look like I'm having almost too much fun?!?

Ok, a bit more serious, that was at the halfway point

Intense finish line face!

Right after the finish line, before I even received my finisher's medal. Don't I look happy?

Did I ever tell you that I kinda get emotional right after I finish a race? My wife (the little blonde in the black t-shirt) followed me via Garmin LiveTrack and she saw me slowing down over markedly over the last 5-6 km. She had just asked me how I felt, if everything was ok. She simply told me: "those last 5 were tough huh?" and I cracked... Tears not of sadness or pain, just kind of overwhelmed...

This pose almost launched my left hamstring in full cramp mode. I never have cramps but I was stupid here. With about a mile to go, I knew there would be some photographers around the bend in the road you can see in the back because up top was the Chateau Frontenac and they love taking pictures looking from down to up with the Chateau as the background. When I spotted him, sitting on the ground in the middle of the road, I knew I wanted to have a killer shot and as I ran past him, I struck the pose, hunching just a bit over. Bad idea, I limped/ran for maybe 250 yards before I felt that my hamstring was losening up a bit.

yaaaaaaa!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #2080
HerRealName
College Prospect

Congrats again Steve. That's was an amazing first marathon experience.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #2081
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Congrats again Steve. That's was an amazing first marathon experience.

thanks Todd, still have not come down from the high it's given me to be honest.

Feels kinda weird not running on a training plan. Not that I don't feel like running, I do, and I will, but for now I'm ok with taking it easy...

FM
Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #2082
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

Feels kinda weird not running on a training plan. Not that I don't feel like running, I do, and I will, but for now I'm ok with taking it easy...

There are some pretty good post-marathon training plans out there to help safely get you through the post-marathon stage running and back to a general maintenance level if you are the type that works better with a plan to follow. (I personally am like that).

Most of the ones I have seen generally have 4-5 week training plans based on how much you were running prior to the marathon, and what your general base is.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #2083
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great writeup and great run, Steve! Congratulations!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #2084
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
There are some pretty good post-marathon training plans out there to help safely get you through the post-marathon stage running and back to a general maintenance level if you are the type that works better with a plan to follow. (I personally am like that).

Most of the ones I have seen generally have 4-5 week training plans based on how much you were running prior to the marathon, and what your general base is.

thanks, I'll probably look some up but I know I'll be fine, it's just that the last week as been, well, weird. Had planned to take two to three days completely off, ended up being three. Ran easy on the fourth day, took a day off and planned to run back to back on the weekend but then there was this crazy hills challenge with my son's swim club, heh

I will go back to my more regular schedule of 4-5 runs a week with a somewhat long run on Sunday. Just not this week, as I will be a volunteer for a local half marathon on Sunday. Actually kind of excited about it. I have started interacting with a couple running groups on FB and while I'm not ready to join a running club, the interaction on race day with runners I know on a first name basis, even though only from online, is nice. I will meet again with many of them on Sunday.

FM
Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #2085
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Great writeup and great run, Steve! Congratulations!

Thanks Chris, it was a fun run, really. Marathon #2 will probably be tougher, as I will certainly go in with higher expectations and will want to push myself closer to my limits...

Having said that a few times already, I always find it interesting how we can describe a 26.2 miles run as "fun"... Crazy runner talk I guess

FM
Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #2086
cartman
Death Herald

Getting psyched up for my ride out in Fort Davis this weekend. If the skies are clear, this is an example of the scenery:

However, they are currently forecasting 50-60% chance of thunderstorms. No clue on how that could impact the event.

I had my first gel injection in the repaired knee last Thursday, and I'll have a follow up injection this Thursday, with a final injection the Thursday after the ride. After the 3rd one, the doc will do an eval on my other knee.

Last edited by cartman : 09-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #2087
cartman
Death Herald

Well, I wish I had a better report to post. I had the gel injection Thursday morning, then on Thursday afternoon made the 6 hour drive out to Fort Davis, TX. One of my uncles, and another aunt and uncle also traveled out there for the weekend to visit the area and cheer me on.

The ride started on Saturday morning at 8am. Weather was cloudy and cool, perfect for riding. The first few miles are downhill into Fort Davis. We rode right through the middle of town, and there were lots of people out watching and cheering. I noticed one we got into town, that the knee that had the gel injection was feeling tight. I was hoping it would loosen up. Unfortunately, it never did. I was still not feeling right by the first rest stop at mile 15. Around mile 20, it felt like I was trying to pedal through mud, even on slight downhills. I toughed it out to the 2nd rest stop at mile 30, but had to call it quits there.

When I woke up this morning, the knee was still not feeling right, so I didn't even try to attempt the 1.5 mile/1500 foot hill climb at the McDonald Observatory.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #2088
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sorry about your knee. Hopefully it is just a temporary set back.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #2089
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ugh. Sorry to hear that, Cartman.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-21-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #2090
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Any Garmin Forerunner 225 owners out there? Are you also having Bluetooth connection issues with your phone? I'm running the latest firmware (2.40) and my phone is a Galaxy S6 edge plus. I keep losing connection and have been needing to reboot my watch only to see it lose connection after just a few minutes.

Also, does the accelerometer on the watch monitor cadence, or do I still need a footpod sensor?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 09-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #2091
digamma
Torchbearer

This is the week where digamma does something dumb and signs up for a trail half marathon on a whim, even though he's undertrained by a wide margin. Tell you how it goes on Monday.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #2092
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
This is the week where digamma does something dumb and signs up for a trail half marathon on a whim, even though he's undertrained by a wide margin. Tell you how it goes on Monday.

Best of luck!

I was underwhelmed by the "trail" elements of the half marathon I had earlier this month, so I'm looking at a 7 mile race this Sunday (in Kansas City, there for a ballgame Saturday night) to see if I can find something a little more interesting and fun. Just need to hold myself to it after a couple of days on the road, watching baseball with family ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 AM   #2093
AlexB
Pro Starter

Congrats FrogMan -that's an amazing performance!

Cartman: hope the knee isn't too bad. My running in particular is on/off according to how my ankles flare up or not as the case may be - better safe than sorry for sure.

On the flip side, that's quite the committment Digamma!

Last edited by AlexB : 09-23-2015 at 01:07 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #2094
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I have been super busy of late and haven't checked into this thread nearly as much as I should.

Steve, that's some great work man. Keep it up.

Greg, damn, that sucks. I know how much you have been going through to get your knees right. Hope it takes a turn for the better soon.

digamma, that's badass. One time, I signed up for a 3 mile mud run on a whim, the morning of, at the request of a friend. I actually did pretty good, but looking back, one of the weirder things for me to just decide to do. Hope you have fun.

Personal update: Long Beach half is two weeks from this Sunday. I haven't trained to the level I feel I should. But I do feel pretty good. I'm not sure I can beat my PR, but I'll give it a good shot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #2095
cartman
Death Herald

The good news - nothing to worry about on the gel injection. I just tried to do too much too soon after getting it.

The bad news - getting an MRI schedule on my other knee. I have a feeling I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas again this year.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #2096
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Also, does the accelerometer on the watch monitor cadence, or do I still need a footpod sensor?

To answer my own question, yes the accelerometer on the Garmin FR 225 does track cadence.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #2097
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

Fun race. Ran 1:49:14 after putting in a pretty decent 50 minute first 6.5 miles. Two hills at miles 8 and 9 killed me on the back. Lots of covered single lane trails though. No super big climbs but a lot of medium ones.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #2098
digamma
Torchbearer

Does anyone know if it is possible to load a race result into Strava based on the course map? I didn't carry my phone or watch.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #2099
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't know of a way directly with straps to do it. I think I have heard of people creating their run with other tools and then uploading it to strava. I haven't messed with that type of thing too much though to be too helpful.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #2100
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Strava not straps. Silly iPad.