Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #21701
Edward64
Head Coach

A win for Trump. It may well change to a loss but, for now, definitely a good thing for the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/polit...ing/index.html
Quote:
After a week-long "reduction in violence," the US and Taliban have signed a historic agreement Saturday, which would set into motion the drawdown of US troops from Afghanistan and potentially pave the way to ending America's longest-fought war.

The agreement was signed in Doha, Qatar, by US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad -- the chief US negotiator in the talks with the Taliban -- and Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar -- the Taliban's chief negotiator. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo witnessed the signing.
Speaking at the ceremony, Pompeo said the US "will closely watch the Taliban's compliance with their commitments, and calibrate the pace of our withdrawal to their actions."

"This is how (we) will ensure that Afghanistan never again serves for international terrorists," Pompeo said.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper was in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Saturday for a joint declaration ceremony with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

According to Afghanistan's national security adviser Hamdullah Mohib, the joint US-NATO-Afghan declaration includes an 18-month withdrawal of foreign troops.

"But it is conditional on the agreement between the Taliban and the United States. If those conditions are not met, this date will also change," he said.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #21702
QuikSand
lolzcat

The text of the “peace deal” is much closer to being “an agreement on how to work toward a peace deal,” but we can still expect the media silos to rapidly toe their respective lines.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #21703
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump seems desperate to make a deal, so I expect he'll be pretty forgiving as the deadline for full withdrawal gets closer. He's clearly naive if he thinks the Taliban are going to start killing terrorists for us.

But it's reignited the Trump/Bolton feud, and I can't get enough of that.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #21704
RainMaker
General Manager

We should cut a deal and get out. War is lost. Saving face while Americans die in vain is silly.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #21705
Thomkal
Head Coach

A Federal judge has ruled that Ken Cuccinelli's appointment as acting head of US Citizenship and Immigration Services was in violation of the Federal Vacancies and Reform Act and all policies put in place by him are now void as a result:

Federal judge rules Ken Cuccinelli unlawfully ran immigration agency
Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #21706
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Taliban have broken the truce already.

That went well.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #21707
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
A win for Trump. It may well change to a loss but, for now, definitely a good thing for the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/polit...ing/index.html

3 days

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #21708
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
3 days

Searched for it but didn't see anything yet on MSM. I'll wait to read about it in case twitter is premature or fake news.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #21709
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It’s just shocking that no one is willing to refuse to praise Trump during virus updates. You’d think someone would stand up for their own dignity.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #21710
kingfc22
Head Coach

Thank you great leader...
Old 03-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #21711
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Searched for it but didn't see anything yet on MSM. I'll wait to read about it in case twitter is premature or fake news.
Afghanistan: bomb attack kills three as Taliban ends partial truce | World news | The Guardian

We should get out anyway. They already won.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #21712
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Elements of Medical. New band name.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #21713
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
We should get out anyway

I don't disagree.

I do wonder WTF is going on with the 5,000 prisoners that were supposed to be released. I can easily believe US making that commitment without firm Afghan government agreement though.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #21714
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

While I think we should have gotten out of Afghanistan years ago, Trump doing a phone call with one of the founders of the Taliban is not a good look.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #21715
kingfc22
Head Coach

Looking forward to the Burisma investigation being announced tomorrow by Barr.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #21716
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Did you miss that Ron Johnson started yesterday?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #21717
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

The whole thing was horribly corrupt, but Hunter technically didn't break any laws. And the public seems numb to corruption and sort of just accepting of it at this point. So who knows if it has any impact.

I'm also sure they'll be digging up Rosemont Capital too.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #21718
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The whole thing was horribly corrupt, but Hunter technically didn't break any laws. And the public seems numb to corruption and sort of just accepting of it at this point. So who knows if it has any impact.

I'm also sure they'll be digging up Rosemont Capital too.

I'm guessing this is because the public believes that this sort of thing goes on in business and politics more frequently than not. Take a look at the way the first family does things. It's hard to believe that of all the corrupt things in the world, that go on between private citizens and foreign countries that this is the primary threat/topic that the Senate would be tracking down to root out. I mean, it's more than just opportunistic politics.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #21719
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm guessing this is because the public believes that this sort of thing goes on in business and politics more frequently than not. Take a look at the way the first family does things. It's hard to believe that of all the corrupt things in the world, that go on between private citizens and foreign countries that this is the primary threat/topic that the Senate would be tracking down to root out. I mean, it's more than just opportunistic politics.

Maybe. I'm just surprised whenever I see a story about Trump giving something to China a day after his daughter secures some patents and no one cares. Either we don't care as a country or we're so beaten down by it that we just assume it is part of life.

Republicans will go hard after him, but I don't think it's going to to sway any votes. Forces Democrats to give up the high ground on corruption, but like I said, that probably doesn't even matter anymore.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #21720
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe. I'm just surprised whenever I see a story about Trump giving something to China a day after his daughter secures some patents and no one cares. Either we don't care as a country or we're so beaten down by it that we just assume it is part of life.

Republicans will go hard after him, but I don't think it's going to to sway any votes. Forces Democrats to give up the high ground on corruption, but like I said, that probably doesn't even matter anymore.

I may be jaded, but I don't think it's going to matter at all, and I find it hard to give the R's any sort of high, moral ground on the issue.

Like Steam?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #21721
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The GOP has taken so much power by letting the Dems take the moral high ground I don't think anyone cares anymore. We need a couple "normal" presidencies and a GOP rebrand to reset and get back to anyone really giving a shit about corruption.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #21722
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sure is a shame the Dems aren't allowed to investigate anything anymore.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #21723
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
We need a couple "normal" presidencies and a GOP rebrand to reset and get back to anyone really giving a shit about corruption.

And "normal" starts with Biden ...
Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #21724
RainMaker
General Manager

It was fun while it lasted. I know why they did it and all, but there is so much money entrenched in these wars that it just becomes impossible to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sure is a shame the Dems aren't allowed to investigate anything anymore.

Dems so upset with kids grifting off the Presidency they're going to nominate someone who's kid grifted off the Presidency.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #21725
Thomkal
Head Coach

A federal judge has questioned how Barr handled the revealing of the Mueller Report and has ordered the DOJ to give him a totally un
redacted copy of the report by March 30 so he can go over it and decide what can be released to the public

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...mueller-report

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-05-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #21726
Thomkal
Head Coach

Remember Aaron Schock, former Congressman from Illinois who resigned over a funds scandal in 2015? There were rumors he was gay at the time too. He finally admitted it today saying family and religious pressure kept him from revealing it. He voted against every measure that would have helped LGBT people and said he was following the lead of the leader of the Republican party at the time John McCain and that both Hilary Clinton and Obama were of the same thought at the time.

Then didn't apologize for the harm he caused with his positions.

Ex-U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock comes out as gay - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL
Old 03-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #21727
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Watching a room full of "Christians" applaud when Trump says you can't turn the other cheek, is really jarring.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #21728
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Watching a room full of "Christians" applaud when Trump says you can't turn the other cheek, is really jarring.

It's the boiling frog. 2+2=5, now. All of it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #21729
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Report: Russian Election Trolling Is Becoming Subtler, Tougher To Detect : NPR
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #21730
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mick Mulvaney canned and Mark Meadows named new Chief.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #21731
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Mick Mulvaney canned and Mark Meadows named new Chief.

Good thing he saw the writing on the wall and decided not to run for re-election.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #21732
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like another purge happening in Saudi Arabia and MBS further consolidating power.

I don't really care much what happens in their internal, extended family power struggles. We are frenemies with them now, it'll continue for a while, and the US will continue to do what is needed regardless of who is at the head of the snake ... but their importance will continue to decrease (go Elon and like).
Old 03-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #21733
RainMaker
General Manager

A reminder that Saudi Arabia was one of the biggest sources of funding for Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and the Taliban. They continue to help finance them. They are our friends.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #21734
Edward64
Head Coach

Sweet, flooding the market and a nice price war. I do hope the domestic shale oil producers survive though.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
Quote:
Saudi Arabia has launched an aggressive oil price war targeting its biggest rivals after Russia refused to join production cuts with Opec, in a move that threatens to swamp the crude market with supplies just as the coronavirus outbreak hits demand.

Saudi Arabia will raise production and offer its crude at deep discounts to win new customers next month, according to two people familiar with the country’s oil policy, which risks sending prices tumbling further. Oil prices had already dropped by a third since January to near $45 a barrel.

The kingdom plans to pump more than 10m barrels a day next month while announcing unprecedented discounts of almost 20 per cent in key markets, in an apparent attempt to punish Russia, while squeezing the US shale industry and other higher cost producers.
:
:
The fall in oil prices risks new turmoil in the kingdom, as MBS’s plan to modernise the economy relies at least in part on higher energy revenues to fund the transformation.

Shares in Saudi Aramco, the state oil company, dropped almost 9 per cent on Sunday, falling below its December stock market listing price. The broader Saudi stock market sank more than 8 per cent.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #21735
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why do so many Trump adjacent folks think bragging about how little sleep he gets makes him look better?
Old 03-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #21736
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It makes him look vigorous and a hard worker. If you believe it.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #21737
RainMaker
General Manager

Oil futures down to $30. Going to be a bloodbath Monday.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #21738
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ted Cruz says he shook hands with the person who has come down with the virus at CPAC. Says he will self-quarantine
Old 03-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #21739
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Ted Cruz says he shook hands with the person who has come down with the virus at CPAC. Says he will self-quarantine

If only he self quarantined 20 years ago
Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #21740
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Oil futures down to $30. Going to be a bloodbath Monday.

Futures currently down 1,000+

Currently Dow at 25,864. High was about 29,500 so 20% bear market is 23,600 ... so about another 2,300 to go.

Coronavirus news is only going to get worse before getting better, so my guess is we'll get the 20% bear market.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #21741
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump retweeted a Q meme apparently.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #21742
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

Japan economy contracted by 7% in Q1.

30 year Treasury dropped below 1% yield. Crazy.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #21743
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is a hoax driven by the media to make you afraid! {sorry my FB feed is full of this}

Still though, no answer for how the (Amercian) media is so powerful that foreign countries are basing all their decisions off of them.

Of course, a friend told me tonight; "It's JUST A COLD!!"

Like Steam?

Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #21744
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
so I wonder if Edward considers the stock market drop of 1900 points a loss for Trump
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #21745
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow they halted trading.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #21746
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have now lost over 100K in the last week.

The rational side of me knows I am in this for the long haul, but that is tough to look at.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #21747
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow they halted trading.

That shouldn't induce panic or anything...

Last edited by Kodos : 03-09-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #21748
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
That shouldn't induce panic or anything...

Yeah no kidding. I am wondering when was the last time the stock market “circuit breaker” was flipped to temporarily halt trading?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #21749
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
so I wonder if Edward considers the stock market drop of 1900 points a loss for Trump

DJIA just passed 24000, big win for Trump!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #21750
lungs
Pro Rookie

Dola

I guess you could say this is good timing for me personally as I’m about to be eligible for my company’s 401K. Though it doesn’t change the fact that I’m starting at 37 and had my retirement savings wiped out entirely the past few years.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote