Julio Riddols
College Prospect

That Zelda game looks amazing.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #2202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Totally agree with this article. Rental pricing without a subscription model is a really poor decision if true.

PlayStation Now: A Good Idea With A Bad Plan - Forbes

Sad to see this. Ryse was one of the fun release titles on X1.

Sources: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #2203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOVE to see this announcement. I'm suddenly a controller snob after using the PS4 controller. I can't stand the PS3 controller any more. Now I can go back to play all the new free games I've been avoiding on the PS3 due to controller annoyance.

PS4's DualShock 4 now works wirelessly with PS3 | Joystiq
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #2204
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rumor of upcoming restructuring in Microsoft......

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...this-week.html

Possibly 10% of work force according to this article.....

Microsoft prepares for biggest ever job cuts | The Verge

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-15-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #2205
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty surprised that MS even released this announcement. Given that the PS4 outsold the X1 in May by 2-1, this isn't good news at all. This would appear to be stating at best that the boost in sales allowed the X1 to break even against the PS4 for June. We'll have to see if that trend continues.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-on...double-in-june

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #2206
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pretty surprised that MS even released this announcement. Given that the PS4 outsold the X1 in May by 2-1, this isn't good news at all. This would appear to be stating at best that the boost in sales allowed the X1 to break even against the PS4 for June. We'll have to see if that trend continues.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-on...double-in-june

Assuming, of course, that PS4 sales remained the same, when Microsoft's doubled. Not sure you can easily say that.

Really, not sure why you'd be surprised a company would be pleased to announce a doubling of sales.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #2207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Assuming, of course, that PS4 sales remained the same, when Microsoft's doubled. Not sure you can easily say that.

Really, not sure why you'd be surprised a company would be pleased to announce a doubling of sales.

It's somewhat like the Nintendo announcement a couple of months ago. They announced a doubling of sales over the previous month and everyone's response was 'yeah, but the previous month was awful'. MS was only around 77K last year, well behind the PS4 (somewhere around 155-160K). Assuming that the PS4 sales remained the same is all but a foregone conclusion at this point. They've shown no signs of weakening at all.

Most believe that the announcement yesterday from MS was yet another preemptive release to try to head off the fact that Sony won the month again despite the big changes MS made. I'm not sure how many more 'here it comes......it didn't help?' moments MS can have this generation before it begins to take its toll.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #2208
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sony market cap: $17.5 billion
Microsoft market cap: $369.6 billion
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #2209
Kodos
Resident Alien

Who thinks MBBF was secretly pleased about the Microsoft layoffs?

Last edited by Kodos : 07-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #2210
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm just annoyed you guys broke the streak - it had been like 3 weeks of MBBF posting and no one responding, then it all got wrecked today.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #2211
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm just annoyed you guys broke the streak - it had been like 3 weeks of MBBF posting and no one responding, then it all got wrecked today.

Crap, my bad. I take full responsibility.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #2212
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I avoided posting in this thread for just that reason.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #2213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It's NPD time of the month, so it shouldn't be a surprise. I think I've been relatively restrained, but if you'd like me to post more, I certainly can.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #2214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting that this was not part of MS's announcement of cuts. They are closing Xbox Entertainment Studios, which was to be the group that created exclusive media-focused content for the Xbox platform. Sounds like they'll continue to develop the Halo content in a different section of the company, but will not be doing anything else going forward.

Microsoft to Shutter Xbox Entertainment Studios (Updated) | Re/code
Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #2215
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Crap, my bad. I take full responsibility.

Damn you!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #2216
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
It's somewhat like the Nintendo announcement a couple of months ago. They announced a doubling of sales over the previous month and everyone's response was 'yeah, but the previous month was awful'. MS was only around 77K last year, well behind the PS4 (somewhere around 155-160K). Assuming that the PS4 sales remained the same is all but a foregone conclusion at this point. They've shown no signs of weakening at all.

I'm not saying you're full of shit, but since neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One were on the market last year, you're full of shit.

Or you're so eager to establish your narrative that you're not paying attention to what you're saying.

Either/or.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #2217
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wait so first it was,
"breaking the Kinnect out and lowering the price point will not help at all. Sales will not increase."

Now its

"Ok sales doubled but they were low to start with so a double doesnt mean much"

I've played this game before when my kids (13 and 10) were much younger.

I think the winner is always Godzilla.

SO

Godzilla could eat your PS4, poopie head!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #2218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting that this was not part of MS's announcement of cuts. They are closing Xbox Entertainment Studios, which was to be the group that created exclusive media-focused content for the Xbox platform. Sounds like they'll continue to develop the Halo content in a different section of the company, but will not be doing anything else going forward.

Microsoft to Shutter Xbox Entertainment Studios (Updated) | Re/code

fwiw, I saw that covered in a media buyers trade site/publication last night & was surprised to have not heard it mentioned previously.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #2219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm not saying you're full of shit, but since neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One were on the market last year, you're full of shit.

Or you're so eager to establish your narrative that you're not paying attention to what you're saying.

Either/or.

Was last month, not last year. Honest typo mistake.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-18-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #2220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official numbers have been revealed for June. It appears CraigSca was correct. PS4 didn't stay the same, they increased by quite a bit. Actually, PS4 and Wii U both with surprising sales surges despite the fact that MS believed this was to be their month. X1 definitely performed better than most expected, but still a distant 2nd.

PS4 - 269K
X1 - 197K
Wii U - 140K
Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #2221
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm glad they are a distant 2nd, because that reality improves my quality of life.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #2222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I'm glad they are a distant 2nd, because that reality improves my quality of life.

Massachusetts is a strange, strange land.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #2223
Kodos
Resident Alien

Where's my price drop, PS4? Football season looms, and I may get an itch...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #2224
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Official numbers have been revealed for June. It appears CraigSca was correct. PS4 didn't stay the same, they increased by quite a bit. Actually, PS4 and Wii U both with surprising sales surges despite the fact that MS believed this was to be their month. X1 definitely performed better than most expected, but still a distant 2nd.

PS4 - 269K
X1 - 197K
Wii U - 140K

By these numbers
PS4 has a 44% market share compared to X1 32.5% market share.

Sorry I havent even bothered to look at sales number before this and I will just concede that this is the closest the numbers have ever been based on your post above...but this is the spread that all the debate has been about?

I just assumed we were looking at a 65%+ market share to PS4 based on the posts in this thread alone.

Wow.

[For the record this post is not a troll attempt. I have stated before I really dont follow the sales data as it does not interest me at all. I still check this thread because occasionally info like a price point shift, or a new product release will interest me. I genuinely had never looked at the numbers before and this is legitimately shocking to me. Heck even in the highly competitive world of soft drinks I think Coke has a 46% market share, and that's with a seemingly "equal" global competitor...shrug I guess this really is PS4 is coke and X1 is pepsi. Carry on.]
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #2225
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Where's my price drop, PS4? Football season looms, and I may get an itch...

I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger. Stupid RROD. It's not completely dead(yet), but yeah.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #2226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
By these numbers
PS4 has a 44% market share compared to X1 32.5% market share.

Sorry I havent even bothered to look at sales number before this and I will just concede that this is the closest the numbers have ever been based on your post above...but this is the spread that all the debate has been about?

I just assumed we were looking at a 65%+ market share to PS4 based on the posts in this thread alone.

Wow.

[For the record this post is not a troll attempt. I have stated before I really dont follow the sales data as it does not interest me at all. I still check this thread because occasionally info like a price point shift, or a new product release will interest me. I genuinely had never looked at the numbers before and this is legitimately shocking to me. Heck even in the highly competitive world of soft drinks I think Coke has a 46% market share, and that's with a seemingly "equal" global competitor...shrug I guess this really is PS4 is coke and X1 is pepsi. Carry on.]

Only in the last couple of months has the Wii U put up numbers worthy of being mentioned. Before E3, they were floundering badly. It's great for the market that they're actually performing at any level now IMO.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #2227
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Only in the last couple of months has the Wii U put up numbers worthy of being mentioned. Before E3, they were floundering badly. It's great for the market that they're actually performing at any level now IMO.

I'm confused.

So PS4 has a weaker market share than I anticipated and that is because WiiU only started selling more units in the last few months?

I think the goalposts just moved.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #2228
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I think you are missing that those sales numbers are only for 1 month, not overall.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #2229
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Even if you look at total number of current generation consoles sold the PS4 is still sitting at 42% (Wii U with the head start is 33% and XBone is 24%).
Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #2230
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger. Stupid RROD. It's not completely dead(yet), but yeah.

Insert Princess Bride reference.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #2231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like some of the MS cuts will involve Xbox Europe. 10% of workforce there cut. In addition, all contractors at Xbox Europe have been fired.

Deep cuts at Xbox Europe as Nadella swings axe | Games industry news | MCV
Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #2232
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Even if you look at total number of current generation consoles sold the PS4 is still sitting at 42% (Wii U with the head start is 33% and XBone is 24%).

Which is why it's somewhat silly to look at it in that context. With current trends which are likely to continue, the PS4 is going to be a clear #1, X1 is going to be a clear 2nd and Wii U will be a clear third. There's not going to be much hair splitting this generation IMO.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #2233
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty big if around trends continuing. And probably 1-2 years out.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-18-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #2234
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Which is why it's somewhat silly to look at it in that context. With current trends which are likely to continue, the PS4 is going to be a clear #1, X1 is going to be a clear 2nd and Wii U will be a clear third. There's not going to be much hair splitting this generation IMO.

Just like trends were likely to continue seven years ago right?

"everything which is the case eight months after launch is going to continue forever unless it's a narrative i don't like in which case the opposite is inevitable"
Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #2235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just like trends were likely to continue seven years ago right?

"everything which is the case eight months after launch is going to continue forever unless it's a narrative i don't like in which case the opposite is inevitable"

So you disagree and believe that one of the other two will overtake the PS4? Interesting. What do you see happening that will reverse the current trend? I think the result of the last generation would be one that MS would take with open arms at this point. They'd relish breaking even with Sony this generation, much like the PS3 comeback last generation.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #2236
SackAttack
Head Coach

No, I believe you're being willfully dissonant, cognitively, because the current situation matches the narrative in your head and the one seven years ago didn't.

The generation is 8 months old. There is an eternity ahead of it, relatively speaking. When Xbox 360 launched, nobody had any idea that Nintendo was going to blow the doors off on hardware sales a year later. Nobody had any idea that Microsoft was going to have serious quality control issues that, miraculously, didn't kill the brand deader than a doornail.

The PS4 is likely to do quite well, but 8 months in is way too fucking soon to declare that the PS4 is "a clear #1" unless:

1) you're being deliberately disingenuous by asserting a diametrically opposed narrative and putting words in people's mouths ("So you disagree and believe...")

2) you're just full of shit and trolling

3) you have a seriously unhealthy obsession with the performance of Sony, to the point your mental health relies on waving away inconvenient narratives and leg-humping the ones you really, really want to be true

or 4) you're clairvoyant.

I think the last generation proved that #4 isn't the case.

It's one thing to assess the situation on the ground. Making bombastic forward-looking statements like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
With current trends which are likely to continue, the PS4 is going to be a clear #1, X1 is going to be a clear 2nd and Wii U will be a clear third.
based on nothing more than the fact that you really really want it to end up that way is wishcasting. It can't even be taken seriously enough to serve as a basis for discussion, which is what you claim to want from this thread.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #2237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No, I believe you're being willfully dissonant, cognitively, because the current situation matches the narrative in your head and the one seven years ago didn't.

The generation is 8 months old. There is an eternity ahead of it, relatively speaking. When Xbox 360 launched, nobody had any idea that Nintendo was going to blow the doors off on hardware sales a year later. Nobody had any idea that Microsoft was going to have serious quality control issues that, miraculously, didn't kill the brand deader than a doornail.

The PS4 is likely to do quite well, but 8 months in is way too fucking soon to declare that the PS4 is "a clear #1" unless:

1) you're being deliberately disingenuous by asserting a diametrically opposed narrative and putting words in people's mouths ("So you disagree and believe...")

2) you're just full of shit and trolling

3) you have a seriously unhealthy obsession with the performance of Sony, to the point your mental health relies on waving away inconvenient narratives and leg-humping the ones you really, really want to be true

or 4) you're clairvoyant.

I think the last generation proved that #4 isn't the case.

It's one thing to assess the situation on the ground. Making bombastic forward-looking statements like based on nothing more than the fact that you really really want it to end up that way is wishcasting. It can't even be taken seriously enough to serve as a basis for discussion, which is what you claim to want from this thread.

Certainly your right to disagree. The fact that you didn't choose to create any scenario where Nintendo or MS could salvage a #1 at this point speaks volumes. Outside of a RROD scenario on the PS4, much like you, I can't find one.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #2238
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think it's #3!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #2239
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Certainly your right to disagree. The fact that you didn't choose to create any scenario where Nintendo or MS could salvage a #1 at this point speaks volumes. Outside of a RROD scenario on the PS4, much like you, I can't find one.

Here is what you are missing, dude.

Yes PS4 is outselling X1..

However the difference isnt significant enough to make it a major issue.

I'm sorry 44% market share isnt moving any needles. When I was selling Sony TVs they were ECSTATIC over a 16% market share year. 44% is HUGE but its not driving a single competitor out of business.

We aren't debating if X1 can become #1..you are debating if they can remain viable.

Totally different argument. I doubt X1 ever outsells P4 just like P3 will never outsell X360...it doesnt mean either was a failed piece of hardware.

Why can you not grasp that.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #2240
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Because last gen's sales were a straight line across for all consoles, right?

There was a huge difference in sales month to month and year to year.

This is just the beginning of the life cycle. All it would take is a great exclusive game for any platform, a price drop, or just a great marketing campaign and we could be talking completely different market shares in 2 months.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #2241
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm not even sure X1 is going to be a clear 2nd. The Wii U has sold more worldwide and last week's hardware sales had the Wii U and X1 neck and neck.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #2242
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
We aren't debating if X1 can become #1..you are debating if they can remain viable.

I'm not saying they won't be viable at all. Not sure where you saw that.

Quote:
Totally different argument. I doubt X1 ever outsells P4 just like P3 will never outsell X360...it doesnt mean either was a failed piece of hardware.

As of last week, the PS3 had outsold the X360. However, the PS4's success appears to be allowing the X360 to have a chance at getting back just above the PS3 as Xbox fans appear to be sticking with the old console and buying new 360's when their old ones die. I don't think Sony minds if that happens given how well they're doing on the PS4.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #2243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Harsh words for both leading consoles from @thuway. First, on the dismal shipping numbers released by Microsoft.

Quote:
Awful news from Microsoft. 1.1 million X1/360s combined were SHIPPED this quarter. NO X1 SOLD NUMBERS GIVEN. This is a disaster.

To give perspective, these are the type of numbers to discontinue a platform. European presence of X1 is dead. :/

Oh and one more thing 1.1 million shipped X1 AND 360 consoles WORLDWIDE. TRULY AWFUL. Officially on life support.

X1 is dying. Microsoft has two choices: A) Either cut price dramatically and incur a loss per unit sold or B) Be outsold at a 2.5-3:1 margin

Satya Nadella will make the final call, but this new leadership at Microsoft will not respond favorably to razor blade economics.

Investor culture at Microsoft is aggressive about profit and excising bloat. Sony weathered a $3 billion loss with PS3. Will MS do the same?

IMO, we will NEVER see a high profile third party title like TitanFall go 100% exclusive to X1 in the future. Unit sales aren't there.

In any case, to all the good people at Xbox, I hope you pull through and make a come back. Master Chief and Marcus Fenix are awesome.

And more critical comments for Sony regarding the PS4 sales in Japan.

Quote:
Sony needs to insure PS4 sales/lineup are strong, stable, and forthcoming. It literally is the center piece of the corporation.

The PS4, week after week, is floundering into irrelevance in the Japanese market. I understand Japan IS portable, but Sony needs to try.

If I were Sony, I would: 1. Mandate all high profile future PS3 releases MUST have PS4 ports. Persona 5, Tales of Zesteria, etc.

2. Produce work that resonates with the Japanese market. If a title is being made on Vita (Freedom Wars) - it needs to find itself on PS4.

Honestly, I don't know what else there is to do, but when PS3 and Wii U are outselling the PS4, there is room for concern.

One thing is for sure, Japan is a place where Vita actually means life. Good sales this week and last. Now about that Monster Hunter...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #2244
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

What is a thuway and why does it matter.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #2245
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

because, HARSH WORDS........................
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #2246
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Usually a very good source for information and how the companies are feeling about their current position. Knows a lot of people in the industry, especially in MS and Sony.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #2247
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

^
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #2248
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

From MBBF's post it's someone who doesn't know the difference between insure and ensure but Google tells me he's someone who posts made up stories on Twitter during E3.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #2249
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Harsh words for both leading consoles from @thuway. First, on the dismal shipping numbers released by Microsoft.

And more critical comments for Sony regarding the PS4 sales in Japan.

I have all consoles except for Wii U in my house.

To be honest I'm not all that impressed with PS4 or XBone. They look slightly better than 360 and PS3. If I was a casual gamer I would not feel the need to spend $500 to start all over again on a new console with "slightly" better games, and where none of my current games will work anymore.

I don't think any console is on life support right now. The first set of games developed specifically for these consoles hasn't even really released yet. First wave games are always shallow due to having little development time.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #2250
chinaski
College Prospect

Been thinking about getting a Xbox One, but after looking over the games available, I cant find more than a couple that makes getting the xbone worth it. My question.. where are all the games for this system? I dont recall a next gen system having so few to choose from, especially this far out from launch.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote