Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #2201
HerRealName
College Prospect

Subby goes on a 250 mile ride and then spends the next couple weeks running fast as hell. More machine than man.

Good luck, Cowboy. ABC's advice looks spot on to me.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #2202
Subby
lolzcat

I don't know what the hell is going on because I barely ran the last three years. I just started running again in late March after a year off from running outside and on my 15th run I was able to put up my best half-marathon time by a pretty wide margin:

Probably pushing a little hard on these - I think my target heart rate is supposed to be 136 or so based on my age - but I don't feel completely destroyed when I'm done. Who knows?

Anyway - happy to be running a little these days.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #2203
Kodos
Resident Alien

Holy crap!

My brother, who also is an avid bike rider, turns out to be a very good runner as well. He has a great cardio-vascular system, and it sure shows up in his running.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #2204
digamma
Torchbearer

1:30 is freaking flying.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #2205
AnalBumCover
College Starter

That's mindblowingly fast.

I just got done watching my friend who'd been trying for years to BQ, and finally succeeded last Saturday with an exhausting 7:30/mi pace, and now I see a sub 7:00/mi "random" half marathon distance?

Crazy. Crazy.

I bow to you.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #2206
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like your 262 Epic suffer score.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #2207
Subby
lolzcat

My new Garmin watch is also trolling the ^&*% out of me right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-02 11.50.58.jpg (45.4 KB, 209 views)
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #2208
AnalBumCover
College Starter

At the rate you're going, I don't think your Garmin is too off base.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #2209
hoopsguy
General Manager

I assume that the serious cyclists in this thread have seen this before, but it made me chuckle and wonder about the thoughts of Mrs. Subby.

The shame of being married to a MAMIL, a Middle Aged Man In Lycra | Daily Mail Online
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #2210
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
My next post will be when I can break the 45 minute marker.

43:10. And my fastest average time since 2013. Next goal, do 5K in under 45 minutes. I think I would have come close to that if I had gone a little farther, but my knees were killing me.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #2211
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I assume that the serious cyclists in this thread have seen this before, but it made me chuckle and wonder about the thoughts of Mrs. Subby.

The shame of being married to a MAMIL, a Middle Aged Man In Lycra | Daily Mail Online
Heh. Love that column. She definitely gets pissed when I try to wear cycling clothes anywhere but on the bike.

She also understands I am waaaay happier when I am riding, so it's a pretty easy trade off.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #2212
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
43:10. And my fastest average time since 2013. Next goal, do 5K in under 45 minutes. I think I would have come close to that if I had gone a little farther, but my knees were killing me.

Dude that is awesome. Congrats on hitting 43:10!

Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #2213
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Ran my first 5k race today. I was pretty nervous before the race but it went away as soon as I started running.

I finished 4th in my age group (45-49) with an official time of 29:29. Arrrgh, the top three finishers received medals. Strava had me at 28:54, although I forgot for 5 or so minutes to stop the time. ;P

Overall it was a great experience, a lot funner than I expected. I finished as the 37th male and 60th overall of 168 runners. I was really concerned with my ankle last night as it was sore as it's been for weeks. Luckily a night of rest and some aspercreme helped it out a lot.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #2214
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Congrats on your first 5k! When's the next?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #2215
hoopsguy
General Manager

Great job getting the first 5k completed. Bummer on being first to miss on the medal, but if that is a priority there are a number of races where all participants get medals. I know this as those are the only type of medals I've collected.

Once finished 2nd in age group (by one second!), but didn't know it until I had left the race. Shockingly enough, I received nothing in the mail.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #2216
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Congrats on your first 5k! When's the next?

Thanks! I had the Joplin Memorial Run targeted as my first run several months ago, it is in honor of the 161 people that lost their lives in the May 22nd, 2011 Joplin tornado. It's the big run for this area, with a marathon, half-marathon, 10k, 5k, Walk of Silence, and kids runs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run in it but I haven't committed to it yet.

Yeah the medal wasn't a big deal, just woulda been kinda cool to get one in my first race which would have been completely unexpected. I did get a cool shirt though!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #2217
hoopsguy
General Manager

Ordered my Garmin 235 today. Hoping that the built-in heart rate monitor shows up pretty well. I'll be happy to retire the existing HRM, which has both irritated my chest over the last couple of months, as well as not working reliably over the past year. And I'm expecting the GPS resolution times to be a ton better. The rest of the new features will likely require me to invest some time digging into them to see how they might help me think a little differently about my running.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #2218
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Ordered my Garmin 235 today. Hoping that the built-in heart rate monitor shows up pretty well. I'll be happy to retire the existing HRM, which has both irritated my chest over the last couple of months, as well as not working reliably over the past year. And I'm expecting the GPS resolution times to be a ton better. The rest of the new features will likely require me to invest some time digging into them to see how they might help me think a little differently about my running.

Love my 235. I was glad to be rid of the chest strap. However, in the early iterations of the software, the HRM tended to be a hit-or-miss per device. I might have been one of the lucky ones who seemed to have had an accurate monitor. But then again, I never did put the HRM to the tests (HR readings during interval training... which is where the complaints came from).

GPS is damn accurate. Picks up satellites almost instantaneously.

I've just recently started using the workout features on Garmin Connect, and it's great. Just build a workout (set up your warmup, intervals, cooldown, and anything inbetween), sync it to your watch, and go on a run using said workout. It's great. And the workout build feature is pretty robust. And the resulting activity translates great with Strava Premium's workout analysis.

There's also an alert feature that I use as well. Run/walk alert (like a simpler version of a workout). An alert when to eat/fuel or drink. Alerts when your pace is above or below certain levels, even when your HR exceeds or falls outside of certain levels.

For a while I did have bluetooth connectivity issues, but somehow I got it to stay connected to my phone.

Overall, it's a great watch.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-09-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #2219
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
He's still around on Strava. Looks like he fell off the wagon for a short while in Feb, according to Strava. But he's out there now, running about 20+ miles/week.

Yeah, sorry about that. This winter was pretty rough on me. Work was brutal and I was working 80-90 hours with a crazy project. Between being so busy that getting in runs was difficult and stress eating, it was not my best few months.

Most of my runs that synced was just autosynced from my watch when I finished, I wasnt really looking too much at them.

Trying to get myself back together, going to run another marathon this fall, and work has gotten a bit better after April 1st passed, but now dealing with possible layoffs and such (including my boss and his boss), so still dealing with a bunch of stress.

I'm back to running 30+ miles a week, but just don't feel it right now, all of my gains from last year are gone and I'm just not in a great place right now.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #2220
digamma
Torchbearer

Hang in there Alan, you'll find the benefits of cumulative training soon enough. Promise.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #2221
Subby
lolzcat

I am happy just knowing you are back out there. Keep plugging away, my man!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #2222
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hang in there, Alan. Sorry you've hit a rough patch.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #2223
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Fitness App Runkeeper Secretly Tracks Users At All Times, Sends Data to Advertisers - Slashdot
Old 05-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #2224
Kodos
Resident Alien

Note to self. Turn off GPS when not using actively.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #2225
AnalBumCover
College Starter

From my post on Facebook.
Quote:
My running streak ends tonight. What began as a Lent sacrifice went beyond Easter and continued on as I found new limitations to break through, and new milestones to reach.

Sure, I had many nights when I was trying to talk myself out of quitting. A couple of instances where outside encouragement kept me from hanging up the laces. But every day I managed to get out there and continue on.

To end the streak tonight however, is a decision I was at peace to make. Without rest days, my legs were not getting the recovery time they deserved. And I recognized that. Last week I asked my legs to keep on trucking for a few more days - then they can be at ease.

05/19/2016. Day 100. 152 miles covered.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #2226
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think that's the right choice.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #2227
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

I ran my 2nd 5k this morning in the Joplin Memorial Marathon, finishing in 26:33, nearly three minutes faster than my race 2 weeks ago. I think they said there was 1167 participants in the 5k, I finished 164th overall and 7th in my age group. Including the full and half marathon there was around 3200 runners.

I'm pretty happy with my effort, according to strava I set 6 prs despite having poison ivy all over my face, eyes, arms, hands and legs. Couldn't sleep worth a damn last night either.

I might start looking at some 10k runs now, there are some local night runs that look pretty cool.

Oh and the badass award goes to the soldier running a half in full gear.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #2228
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow, that is terrific improvement over 2 weeks! Very cool to see that, as well as taking the plunge on the 10k.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #2229
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I ran my second marathon yesterday in Copenhagen.
Stayed on pace for my four hour goal for the first 23K. Then I like many others had underestimated the heat (+25 C with clear blue sky) and didn’t get enough to drink. Started to cramp up in both legs.

I gave up, pulled off my start number and started to walk back.
Then changed my mind and put my start number back on and started running again.

The last 15 K was a mix of walking and slow running to keep the cramps under control.
In the end close to 10% of the 9400 starters didn’t finish so I am just happy for making it all the 42K.
Now I know what it feels like to “hit the wall”
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #2230
digamma
Torchbearer

Congrats!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #2231
Subby
lolzcat

Wow way to tough it out. Leg cramps are THE. WORST.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #2232
Kodos
Resident Alien

Way to overcome adversity!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #2233
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
I gave up, pulled off my start number and started to walk back.
Then changed my mind and put my start number back on and started running again.

I picture this as the dramatic turning point in the movie. {music swells}
Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #2234
AlexB
Pro Starter

... Before running straight through the finish line, to the girl who had just turned to walk away, and after a short uncertain pause they fall into each others arms. Roll credits!

Slight change of tack, just signed up for my first organised ride/run, an 85 mile Sportive in just over 6 weeks. Longest ride this year? 35 miles! In Ireland for a week next week, so will have to try and get some longer rides in in June!
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #2235
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Nobody would sit thru a slow five hour movie like that.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 05-24-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #2236
Subby
lolzcat

This is the 3rd year in a row I have completed a local ride called Kill Bill. This year was a little different as I attempted on a single speed bike. It was hard, but I finished without crashing! Anyway - on to the next stupid thing...

Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #2237
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's totally a Subby thing to do. Nice job!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #2238
Kodos
Resident Alien

Happy 3-year runniversary to me! Also, I just grabbed my first FOFC Strava challenge "championship." Thanks for starting this thread, Subby. You're pure awesomeness.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #2239
Subby
lolzcat

Dude that is so great. We need to make better use of these challenges bc I can't have you beating me like this.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #2240
Kodos
Resident Alien

Well, you did have like a thousand miles of cycling that I didn't have in May, so you can let me have my little "wins" now and then.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-01-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #2241
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I'm gonna do the Hartford marathon this year. This looks like a good program for someone who's not quite a novice, but a first-time marathoner?

Hal Higdon Training Programs

Last edited by Kodos : 06-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #2242
digamma
Torchbearer

I think the Higdon programs are great. I ran my first three or four marathons off of his programs.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #2243
Subby
lolzcat

Higdon would be the program I would use if I was disciplined enough to follow a training program.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #2244
HerRealName
College Prospect

I recommend following whatever plan FrogMan followed. The man crushed it last weekend and I read somewhere that it was a warm weekend up there.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #2245
Kodos
Resident Alien

Frogman is a great runner. That's for sure.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #2246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think I'm gonna do the Hartford marathon this year. This looks like a good program for someone who's not quite a novice, but a first-time marathoner?

Hal Higdon Training Programs

When he say 5 m run, that means run faster than goal marathon pace, correct?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #2247
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, I finally got some resolution on why my knee has been giving me so much trouble since my procedure back in December. I've been trying to get back on my bike, but my knee has been very uncooperative. I went back to the orthopedic doc, and he took a look. As part of the procedure in December, he moved my kneecap to get it to line up properly. I guess it had always been a bit off-kilter, but I never really noticed. Turns out that my kneecap was trying to get back into its old position, and was stuck halfway between the old and new spot. Luckily the fix didn't require any surgery, just a, well how should I put it, forceful manipulation of the knee cap back into the 'new' spot. I'll have to wear a sleeve brace on my knee for a while to help hold it in the new orientation and get it to stay there, and he said to try again on the bike. So later today I'll see how it works. I signed up a while back for a bike ride in Italy, TX which happens next weekend. It might be pushing it a bit to make that one, but hopefully I can do one of the shorter distances at least.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #2248
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

I believe it is the opposite, run slower than projected pace. In the link you posted earlier, he mentions that speed work isn't part of that program.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #2249
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

5m "run" means relatively easy pace (slower than goal race pace)
5m "pace" means goal race pace.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #2250
AnalBumCover
College Starter

dola

And the Sunday Long Run is at a comfortable pace. According to the link, 30-90 seconds per mile slower than your goal marathon pace.