Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #22551
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

He has been moved to ICU.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #22552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Source: Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care as symptoms 'worsen' - BBC News

(sky news was the first one to report it but, well, it's sky news)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #22553
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Really sad news.

I hope he pulls out of it.

This disease is no fucking joke.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #22554
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Crazy that the U.K. has no succession law.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #22555
whomario
Pro Starter

In Germany about 83% in Intensive Care are on Ventilators ... (and really, it is about the only thing different as far as care between normal and ICU as far as treatment options are concerned)
So odds are he is out of comission for a while as a best guess ... Not sure how much of the actual decision making he determines on a micro level but that can't be good for coordinating efforts and communicating decisions to the people.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-06-2020 at 03:29 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #22556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Well it's a Parliamentary system.

Their Head of State has a very organized succession law, FWIW
Old 04-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #22557
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
But that's the thing. It's not the looniest 4% of the country who believe this MAGA (for lack of a better all-encompassing term) claptrap hook, line, and sinker. It's FORTY PERCENT OF AMERICA. Just the math says that some of the people who go for this stuff are in actual positions of authority and power. They are military officers, police officers, doctors, business owners, and everything else. Yes, some sit at home and shake their fist at "those people" to whatever chant Fox News has going at the moment, but this isn't a trifle. They have captured enough "persuadable" voters to win the Electoral College, this just in. It's not a fringe group.

I realize that my perspective is partially a victim of my hate. But FFS.

For me, it's more a case of wonderment at how far this has spread. This coming from any GOPer in congress or in the WH or on the cabinet is pretty par for the course, but before Esper this wasn't seen in the civilian leadership of the Pentagon. It's yet another aspect of our civic life corroded.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #22558
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Doesn't the party just elect a new leader?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #22559
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
For me, it's more a case of wonderment at how far this has spread. This coming from any GOPer in congress or in the WH or on the cabinet is pretty par for the course, but before Esper this wasn't seen in the civilian leadership of the Pentagon. It's yet another aspect of our civic life corroded.

The Secretary of any Armed Forces branch chastising service members for supporting their commander is crazy considering he went down standing up for his sailors. Even if you actually support removing Crozier this wasn't the right way to handle the fallout. I'm trying to wrap my head around what the goal of that was other than Trump continuing to show no respect for service members. Meanwhile, a stunning number of active and former service members support him and believe he stands up for the military.

And the Alt-right thinks Crozier took a fall to make Trump look bad. The only logical reason he'd ruin his career is if he had some sort of promise from the dems.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #22560
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Even if you actually support removing Crozier this wasn't the right way to handle the fallout. I'm trying to wrap my head around what the goal of that was ...

I don't know yet if Crozier did the right thing (I think he did). Obviously saving lives is the right thing but did he take it through proper channels, did he give enough time to respond, did he leak the memo etc.? It'll all come out some day.

However, for him to criticize Crozier and "scold" (like you know who) the sailors was not the right way ... and I agree, WTF did he think the goal of that was? I can see him yelling at the officers but to get the rank and file involved seems weird to me.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #22561
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don't know yet if Crozier did the right thing (I think he did). Obviously saving lives is the right thing but did he take it through proper channels, did he give enough time to respond, did he leak the memo etc.? It'll all come out some day.

However, for him to criticize Crozier and "scold" (like you know who) the sailors was not the right way ... and I agree, WTF did he think the goal of that was? I can see him yelling at the officers but to get the rank and file involved seems weird to me.

I have a hard time faulting any commander for putting his service members first. For him to do so knowing it's likely going to end his career shows how dire he felt the situation was and it's not like Navy ships aren't known for their sanitary conditions.

I can only guess the Trump administration had a melt down over how bad Crozier getting cheered and his name chanted made them look and Modly was the guy to send the message.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #22562
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
shut the fuck up, Donnie

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-06-2020 at 06:02 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #22563
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I have a hard time faulting any commander for putting his service members first. For him to do so knowing it's likely going to end his career shows how dire he felt the situation was and it's not like Navy ships aren't known for their sanitary conditions.

I can only guess the Trump administration had a melt down over how bad Crozier getting cheered and his name chanted made them look and Modly was the guy to send the message.

Modly told a WaPo reporter that he didn't want Trump to intervene, so he removed Crozier before Trump could force him to.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #22564
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dead Man Walking!

Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #22565
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. On the lighter side, I was gonna quote a post on facebook from a friend on the whole Crozier thing .. and then I remembered, oh yeah, that friend is from here. Derp.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #22566
miami_fan
Coordinator

I keep seeing that Modley was on the boat but the message was piped through the PA system. I hope he has the decency to stand in front of the men and women of the USS TR and deliver his message. Just gather them all up on deck and say your piece. Given the tight accommodations onboard the vessel, all the social distancing protocols are null and void anyways.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #22567
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Dead Man Walking!

Let's hope so.

I bet if Biden gets elected something good will happen for Crozier.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #22568
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Dead Man Walking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Let's hope so.

I bet if Biden gets elected something good will happen for Crozier.

He is walking anyway. He is the acting SECNAV and someone has already been nominated for the position.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #22569
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dead Man Walking!

That is a pretty solid non-apology, 8/10 at least.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #22570
tarcone
Coordinator

dumb is as dumb does.

Something about a box of chocolates

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #22571
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NYTimes reports that Trump has a small financial interest in a French company making millions of doses of chloroquine.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:04 AM   #22572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NYTimes reports that Trump has a small financial interest in a French company making millions of doses of chloroquine.

No way!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:22 AM   #22573
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am going to guess so does Giuliani.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #22574
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No way!

I'm no trump apologist as you know but it sounds like it's through Family Trusts and I'm willing to bet, with the way Biotech works esp big cos, there's no way he could talk about almost any drug without have a 6 degrees good chance of being involved with one of their parents.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #22575
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

LOL, approx $1300. OMG this wealthy man has investments that include a company making a generic drug, there's the link!

Trump has very small financial tie to hydroxychloroquine producer - Business Insider

"Calculations by Business Insider suggest the stake — held via a trust and a mutual fund — is worth no more than $1,305."
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #22576
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I'm no trump apologist as you know but it sounds like it's through Family Trusts and I'm willing to bet, with the way Biotech works esp big cos, there's no way he could talk about almost any drug without have a 6 degrees good chance of being involved with one of their parents.

Yep this is where the fake news shit comes from that got Trump elected. The NY Times apparently doesn't have much to write about with it being the world epicenter for coronavirus and all so they run this story which is quite easily taken apart in the way you described but not before being retweeted/posted all over the echo chambers of twitter, facebook, FOFC.

Shocked, shocked though that Rainmaker and JPhillips would post about it without really looking into it at all. Their posting are fairly balanced on this stuff.

Last edited by panerd : 04-07-2020 at 08:06 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #22577
Kodos
Resident Alien

It must be a burden being so much smarter than everyone else.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #22578
PilotMan
Head Coach

If only congress had made him sell his peanut farm.....

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #22579
whomario
Pro Starter

OAN: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

Ugh ...

Last edited by whomario : 04-07-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #22580
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Remember when the White House touted a non-existent website by Google that was going to solve all our testing needs?

And how a mistake like that would have absolutely destroyed a Bush or Obama White House and still be a major talking point?

But with Trump, it is like it never even existed?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #22581
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Remember when the White House touted a non-existent website by Google that was going to solve all our testing needs?

And how a mistake like that would have absolutely destroyed a Bush or Obama White House and still be a major talking point?

But with Trump, it is like it never even existed?

What we can take away from the Trump presidency is its better to be incompetent and lie all of the time than it is to be competent and do your best. It's really an inspirational story for our youth.

Fwiw, the Google thing was apparently another Kushner fuck up. He exaggerated Google and other companies work on this to make it sound like he's working hard to create a game plan and didn't think Trump would throw it out there in a press conference.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #22582
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The website flowchart was Birx's worst moment.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #22583
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In these times, it's comforting, in some ways, to walk away for five years and some things haven't changed.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-07-2020 at 11:35 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #22584
whomario
Pro Starter

The new press secretary's application reel:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1246454626905468931

Quote:
On the February 25, 2020 edition of Trish Regan's show on Fox Business Network, McEnany praised Trump's handling of the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic, saying, "We will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here...and isn't it refreshing when contrasting it with the awful presidency of President Obama."

Last edited by whomario : 04-07-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #22585
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump fired the IG in charge of overseeing the bailout.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #22586
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Like several people on here, I was surprised to see Trump's approval numbers hit 50%+ in this crisis.

Things made a bit more sense to me when I learned that Jimmy Carter's approval hit 56% when the Iranian Hostage Crisis began.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #22587
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Like several people on here, I was surprised to see Trump's approval numbers hit 50%+ in this crisis.

Things made a bit more sense to me when I learned that Jimmy Carter's approval hit 56% when the Iranian Hostage Crisis began.

Yeah, approval rating for leaders usually goes up during a crisis no matter what. Plus, he promised to give people a check
Old 04-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #22588
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Sec of Navy Modly RESIGNED! THis is Fricking AWESOME!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...L2UqXS8OFh4Mhk
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #22589
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Trump fired the IG in charge of overseeing the bailout.
Good thing no one is ever going to hold him accountable for anything.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #22590
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Modly is reminding me of Michael Douglas in Falling Down...

D-FENS!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-07-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #22591
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Sec of Navy Modly RESIGNED! THis is Fricking AWESOME!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit...L2UqXS8OFh4Mhk

Good fucking riddance
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #22592
Flasch186
Coordinator

And our military is the strongest it’s ever been

It’s beautiful

It’s perfect

The smartest people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #22594
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Undersecretary of the Army will now also serve as the Acting Secretary of the Navy. What is the Army going to do with all of it's new toys?

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-07-2020 at 04:27 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #22595
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
The Undersecretary of the Army will now also serve as the Acting Secretary of the Navy. What is the Army going to do with all of it's new toys?

Old 04-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #22596
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit, Trump is firing seven IGs and replacing them with people loyal to him. This means the IG put in charge of the bailout will be a Trump loyalist.

We will never know where that 500 billion goes.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #22597
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
"You know what else they say about my people? The polls, they say I have the most loyal people. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s like incredible,"

Getting closer to reality.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #22598
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy shit, Trump is firing seven IGs and replacing them with people loyal to him. This means the IG put in charge of the bailout will be a Trump loyalist.

Have a feeling some of that will be going to a certain company with hotels and golf resorts.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #22599
Galaril
Pro Starter

What an embarrassment :Facing a crisis that rivals Pearl Harbor, world's superpower pleads for coronavirus aid
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #22600
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Looking at who he put in charge at multiple agencies and who those guys hired, i fail to be surprised.
The next presiden (knock on Wood) will have no choice but to overhaul everything again, leading to lots of lost time and creating an added dimension of partisanship again even if he wanted to avoid it.
Plus every agency has been set back tremendously by his Obsession with acting officials and ignoring proper staffing.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/ma...pidemic-173347

Last edited by whomario : 04-08-2020 at 09:02 AM.