Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #2301
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Strange though it may be, that very word was discussed on my FB wall a couple of days ago.

picˇaˇyune ˌpikiˈyo͞on/ adjective, informal adjective: picayune

1. petty; worthless.

Maybe there was some sort of contest & we just missed the memo or something.

If there was some sort of contest, I too, missed the memo.

I just like how it sounds and figured I'd class up the joint a bit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #2302
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

fucking lawyers
and Red Wing fans
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #2303
Kodos
Resident Alien

My only knowledge of "picayune" prior to this thread was:

Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #2304
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
fucking lawyers
and Red Wing fans

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #2305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Unless my eyes deceive me, baaaaaad editing as the gore flies onto Maggie's sign weapon well after she hit the walker.

Otherwise, an okay episode I guess.

edit to add: I'm also kinda miffed with the fog scene, how dumb would you have to be to not go to higher ground (which appeared to be available) before getting caught in that mess?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-09-2014 at 09:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #2306
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm enjoying these episodes so far.

Looking forward to the reunion at Terminus (I guess).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #2307
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OMG, was that some major foreshadowing in next week's preview or what?

Spoiler
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #2308
Dutch
"Dutch"

I like the direction right now. I'm a little iffy on "Terminus" though. Reminds me a whole lot of "The Prison" or "Woodbury".

Basically, I enjoy the journey more than the destination.

Last edited by Dutch : 03-09-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #2309
stevew
Hall Of Famer

FINALLY SOMEONE USES AN EFFIN' SPEAR. THANK THE LORD.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #2310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I knew that one guy was way too much of a known actor to only have that minor bit part.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #2311
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm confused - was that or was that not Glenn and Daryl picking up that guy on the road at the beginning? Sure looked 100% like it was to me...so was it a flash-back? A flash-forward??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #2312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

flashback
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #2313
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
flashback

That's what I assumed (it was the Ben guy hmm?), but unless I looked away or something I didn't see anything pointing that out.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #2314
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's what I assumed (it was the Ben guy hmm?), but unless I looked away or something I didn't see anything pointing that out.

That was how Bob came to join the group. The purpose of the flashback was (apparently) simply to establish his character's loner phase.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #2315
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was how Bob came to join the group. The purpose of the flashback was (apparently) simply to establish his character's loner phase.

Bob...Ben...yeah.

That's what I assumed - just wasn't sure if I missed some sort of like...text subtitle indicating it was a flashback.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #2316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Bob...Ben...yeah.

That's what I assumed - just wasn't sure if I missed some sort of like...text subtitle indicating it was a flashback.

Nah, we just have to figure out whether it's flashback or dream or foreshadowing ... kinda like Breaking Bad
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #2317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great episode.

I really enjoyed it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #2318
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am liking these episodes more than the first half of Season 2, BUT... (you knew there was a but right?)...

...the long awaited arrival of everyone at Terminus is starting to feel like being on Herschel's farm. I mean, they're all moving, sure, but context wise, everyone is "trapped" on a journey to Terminus, much like they felt trapped on Herschel's farm.

I'm pretty much ready for less travelling to Terminus and more getting to Terminus.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-10-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #2319
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am liking these episodes more than the first half of Season 2, BUT... (you knew there was a but right?)...

...the long awaited arrival of everyone at Terminus is starting to feel like being on Herschel's farm. I mean, they're all moving, sure, but context wise, everyone is "trapped" on a journey to Terminus, much like they felt trapped on Herschel's farm.

I'm pretty much ready for less travelling to Terminus and more getting to Terminus.

I don't mind it.

Perhaps this half-season's plot arc is: The Journey to Terminus. So long as this journey remains compelling and tense, as it has for the most part thus far, I'm in.

The show really isn't about "getting to Terminus." It's about surviving in the zombie apocalypse. Once they get to Terminus that will simply be a new set of issues to deal with and then everyone will be complaining about how they need to move the plot forward and how being stuck in Terminus is like being stuck on Hershel's farm or in the prison...

The problem with a lot of the episodes in season two was that they just weren't that interesting. They kept playing through the same story line - Lori/Rick/Shane - over and over again. There was very little in terms of character growth and there was very little in terms of action.

Looking at last night's episode, we got to learn a lot more about Bob and Sasha. Characters who have been around for a bit, but we didn't know much about. The opening sequence Bob alone was great. The zombie attack on Darryl was one of the most tense we've seen. You had Beth get kidnapped by mysterious evil people in a hearse or something. Darryl get picked up by that band of ne'er do well ruffians.

All in all, solid character development, good zombie action, some tense run-ins with dangerous (not so good) people. It's what this show is about. The show is not about the group's journey to Terminus, their journey D.C., their life on Hershel's farm, or their life in the prison... It's about the characters and how they survive, or not, in this world.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #2320
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh I definitely get all that, and this is certainly better than Season 2. It just already feels like this walking about has been going on forever. And while the episode long lookins with particular groups have been good for character development, I don't like that I am waiting weeks to see what is going on with other characters. My favorite episode this half season so far was the second one, where we had four succinct 15 minute checkins on four different groups from the prison. That was perfect, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #2321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how Rick and Coral and michonne are doing.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #2322
DanGarion
Coordinator

It seems like no one can be pleased in this thread.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #2323
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Oh I definitely get all that, and this is certainly better than Season 2. It just already feels like this walking about has been going on forever. And while the episode long lookins with particular groups have been good for character development, I don't like that I am waiting weeks to see what is going on with other characters. My favorite episode this half season so far was the second one, where we had four succinct 15 minute checkins on four different groups from the prison. That was perfect, IMO.
I get what you're saying here. It just seems a little too obvious that not seeing characters every week (for the checkin) is being done for money reasons. And that seems a bit tacky for a show that has this level of popularity & budget.

I do like where the show is going, though. Much more interesting to see them survive without cars, reliable shelter, food, and even weapons at times.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #2324
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder how Rick and Coral and michonne are doing.

I'm sure we'll find out!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #2325
SteveMax58
College Starter

Dola,

As a side note note...and I have no idea what the comic story is...but Terminus seems like an awfully peculiar name for a city. I'd check it out but I'd be on extra alert when getting anywhere near that place.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #2326
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Dola,

As a side note note...and I have no idea what the comic story is...but Terminus seems like an awfully peculiar name for a city. I'd check it out but I'd be on extra alert when getting anywhere near that place.

I keep thinking that too, like a place they take in survivors and process them for food...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #2327
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola,

Terminus does not exist in the comics.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #2328
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just wonder if since we don't know anything about it and nobody has heard of it maybe it's been overrun at this point? Sets up for another massive season break.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #2329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola,

At least on the surface it's an Atlanta reference.

from Wiki
Quote:
The history of Atlanta dates back to 1836, when Georgia decided to build a railroad to the U.S. Midwest and a location was chosen to be the line's terminus. The stake marking the founding of "Terminus" was driven into the ground in 1837 (called the Zero Mile Post).

The zero mile post marker now sits adjacent to the entrance of Underground Atlanta.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #2330
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Comic book spoiler-ish:

Spoiler

PM, that is not entirely true. We did hear the radio broadcast at one point about survivors. That is actually pretty well written on the writers part.

On another site I read, they were speculating that Terminus was Macon, GA. You would think everyone in the group would know better than to head anywhere near Atlanta.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #2331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
On another site I read, they were speculating that Terminus was Macon, GA. You would think everyone in the group would know better than to head anywhere near Atlanta.

To my eye though that map is pretty clearly showing Atlanta (best I can tell) because of the way the various railroads are coming into the city.

It's a point that has bothered me since we first saw the map since, well, we know what condition Atlanta was in the last time we saw it.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #2332
stevew
Hall Of Famer

IIRC the Macon speculation is based on where the crew is actually at in real life(landmarks they have passed, etc) vs where terminus actually is located at in real life. No way they'd go back to Atlanta willingly
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #2333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, my own speculation about what the Terminus storyline is

Spoiler
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #2334
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I agree 100% with the gentleman from Middle Georgia
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #2335
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can anyone figure out why Maggie was lying down in the parking lot before Sasha knocked out the window and alerted zombies to her presence? Maggie was lying with several dead bodies. Was she knocked out or something?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #2336
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Can anyone figure out why Maggie was lying down in the parking lot before Sasha knocked out the window and alerted zombies to her presence? Maggie was lying with several dead bodies. Was she knocked out or something?

I think she may have been trying to hide from other walkers. The way Michonne used those two neutered walkers to blend in with the horde.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #2337
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think she may have been trying to hide from other walkers. The way Michonne used those two neutered walkers to blend in with the horde.

Speaking of Michonne's walkers...that never made any sense to me why they stopped trying to eat her.

We see zombies in all sorts or rough condition and they all continue to push their chomping forward relentlessly. Even zombie heads that have been severed.

Now at first I thought, "Gee, maybe there is some intelligence leftover and those 2 zombies sorta (in their own weird way) remember Michonne & dont want to eat her". But that went out the window (at least as the main reason) when she recently made 2 more zombie guides.

IDK...I have just not seen an explanation that is satisfying, even if it requires some (purposely) unknown element to it.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #2338
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

This was eluded to I think in the dialog between Maggie and Sasha.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #2339
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
IDK...I have just not seen an explanation that is satisfying, even if it requires some (purposely) unknown element to it.

Well, they couldn't bite her because their jaws were cut off.

Also, zombies aren't intelligent creatures. I think she took the two walkers and pointed them in a certain direction and off they went.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #2340
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Also, do we know for sure Beth was kidnapped? She could have just got in the hearse.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #2341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, zombies aren't intelligent creatures. I think she took the two walkers and pointed them in a certain direction and off they went.

But that still doesn't explain why they don't try (unsuccessfully of course since they have no jaw) to make a meal out of her.

It was alluded to by the geeky science guy back in Woodbury, a small throwaway comment about how if you take away their ability to eat then it takes away their desire to eat ... but that sort of implies some bit of intelligence.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #2342
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Also, do we know for sure Beth was kidnapped? She could have just got in the hearse.

Now, we don't know. It's possible she could have just gotten into the hearse. I guess the fact that she dropped her bag and it sped away so quickly and didn't stop for Darryl or even kind of wait for him, as am I sure Beth would have asked them too if they were friendly, would seem to imply that she was taken against her will. Also, all the foreshadowing of Beth talking about "good" people would seem to imply that these people were, in fact, not good, like... Colorado Avalanche fans living New Hampshire not good.

Then again, maybe she just dropped her bag in a panic because of zombies and they didn't even see Darryl.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #2343
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
But that still doesn't explain why they don't try (unsuccessfully of course since they have no jaw) to make a meal out of her.

It was alluded to by the geeky science guy back in Woodbury, a small throwaway comment about how if you take away their ability to eat then it takes away their desire to eat ... but that sort of implies some bit of intelligence.
Right, this is what I'm getting at. They stop trying, which would mean they have the self-awareness or intelligence to know that they cannot succeed in eating without their jaw. If they can understand or rationalize this, that opens the door to more questions than answers imho.

I do recall the Woodbury comment. But I can't seem to rationalize that against the idea that a zombie head (with no neck, body, stomach, etc.) would still attempt to eat you even though their food would effectively go nowhere.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2344
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

yeah, it's just laziness really. Even my wife noticed how dumb that was, and she's even more of an apologist than HB
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #2345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right, this is what I'm getting at. They stop trying, which would mean they have the self-awareness or intelligence to know that they cannot succeed in eating without their jaw. If they can understand or rationalize this, that opens the door to more questions than answers imho.

Yep ... but then again, maybe that's intentional too?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #2346
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
yeah, it's just laziness really. Even my wife noticed how dumb that was, and she's even more of an apologist than HB

It's not intelligence, it's just learned helplessness, like when someone gives up when there are too many bats in their house.

It all really has to do with the simple details and sciences, and not scrutinizing it too much. The idea is (as Milton stated in season 3) that by removing their arms and jaws. They essentially lose their purpose. If a walker can think, even the most basic primal instinct driven thoughts, then all it thinks is it wants food. (hence the mindless walking for eternity) Take away the arms so it can't reach out after you. Take away the jaws so it can't even bite you, then it's only purpose is totally stripped away and it's just a thing, walking wherever it is led.

This is a sound theory. It explains the first set of walkers Michonne had. When she created that second set of "pet walkers" at the beginning of this season, I did note that they became "tame" too fast. It should take a while before they realize on that base level that they can't do anymore and then just become walkers.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #2347
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

how many examples have we seen of walkers chained up or otherwise incapacitated that still tried to bite? or the ones who continue to push at fences or scratch at closed doors? all those zombies can't learn but Michonne's can?

sorry, I don't buy it at all. it's just lazy writing (in the comic and the show). no biggie, but let's call it what it is
Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #2348
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
how many examples have we seen of walkers chained up or otherwise incapacitated that still tried to bite? or the ones who continue to push at fences or scratch at closed doors? all those zombies can't learn but Michonne's can?

sorry, I don't buy it at all. it's just lazy writing (in the comic and the show). no biggie, but let's call it what it is

Maybe it's because they still have jaws? The clacking of their jaws must be the key. It gives them purpose!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #2349
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Maybe it's because they still have jaws? The clacking of their jaws must be the key. It gives them purpose!

I somewhat seriously considered this, not the sound per se, but something about the presence of the jaw.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #2350
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I somewhat seriously considered this, not the sound per se, but something about the presence of the jaw.

It makes as much sense as anything else. I mean really...it's a show about zombies...let's not get overly scientific with it.