Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #2301
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i just can't get over how amazing this is. it's so amazing it deserves a double post.
Hah. Thanks man.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #2302
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Richmond Marathon

I don't want to bore everyone with my marathon this past weekend but hey that's why we created this thread!

I think I signed up to run back in April with the full intention of training for 18 weeks using Higdon's Intermediate II or Advanced I program. My goal was to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Thanks to being Old As Fuck™ (45), I only needed a 3:25. Possibly doable!

That said, I also decided not to tell many people because I have a solid history of signing up for races and not training enough or at all. True to form, in the 18 weeks leading up to the marathon, I ran 34 times for a total of 219 miles. I only had four runs over 10 miles, with the longest run being 14 miles. Anyway, you get the idea. I didn't train enough. Yes, I had a lot of cycling in there, so that definitely helped my cardiovascular system. Anyway, I was too lazy to defer to next year so my plan was to maybe have a medical emergency on the course so that I could at least get my money's worth out of the registration fee. I was also going to drink a lot of beer at the Expo (latter mission accomplished).

Without going all travelogue, Richmond is a great, up-and-coming city with lots of shit white people like. Microbreweries, gastropubs, independent coffee shops, bike lanes, etc.. It also has shit no one likes, including hipsters, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Anyway, Fall almost anywhere on the east coast is going to beautiful and Richmond was no exception. The leaves were a million colors. While the temp was in the upper 30s at the 7:45am gun, it wasn't soul-suckingly cold. In fact, the wind cooperated and I was comfortable in running shorts, a light long sleeve base layer, and gloves. I also had a t-shirt sleeve on my head as an improvisational throwaway skullcap, but it did such a good job keeping my ears warm and the sweat out of my eyes, I never took it off. In other words, I looked like a fucking doofus. I also wore some hand me down Nikes from my father in law - a few years old with a thousand miles or more on them. Basically part tribute to my FIL and an ineffectual "FU" to the running shoe industry. Or something.

My goal was to run a 7:30 pace, but I went out fast and latched on to a group which was probably looking to run a three hour marathon. Our splits over the first 10 miles had us at around 6:50/mile. It was weird, but I felt good so I revised my plan to something way more irresponsible: hold on as long as possible and then finish on fumes and tears.

This plan worked great until mile 19 when the wheels came off. Or the legs. Yes, there was a voice in my head that actually thought I had an outside shot of averaging 6:55 miles for an entire marathon. I did not. Cardio was fine and my heart rate actually went down for the last 7 miles, but my legs and anything attached (feet, back, kankles) just weren't having it. I walked through some water stops and stretched a little and otherwise cursed myself whenever I thought for even a second about stopping. My average pace started creeping up 6:55, 6:58, 7:01, 7:06. Once I got to 7:11 with two miles to go, I knew that I was going to have to dig deep. I literally closed my eyes during a few stretches while I was trying to visualize finishing. The people along the route were predictably great, and one spot was handing out beers. I had a beer, of course, because my personal discipline is for shit. I also spilled half of it on myself, a smell which reminded me that I had been at much, much lower points than this. So it actually helped!

Fortunately the finish was straight down hill, so any illusion I had of my quads ever working again was mercifully ended. I did manage to scuttle across the finish in a just a shade over 3:10, which is NOT good enough to qualify for Boston if you are 35-39 (you have to be under!) Again though, I am ancient, so it was good enough for me to be a fair bit ahead of the 3:25 mark I needed. I finished 13th (out of 249) in my age group (45-49) and 175th overall out of 4,056.

Anyway, that's it. I really can't walk that well, but I'll heal up. I was so under trained it was ridiculous. But I qualified for Boston 2018 and I am definitely doing it. I am also going to run Richmond again because, well...I'm an idiot. Don't be like me.

shit man, I almost never visit here, also don't visit Strava very often (Garmin auto uploads everything) and even less these days as I'm in offseason mode (VERY offseason) and was on vacation in Cancun when this happened, but HOLY CRAP!!! I ran 3:17:50 to get my 2018 BQ and was proud as all heck, you ran 3:10, that's just freaknig unbelievable!!!

There'll be two FOFCers on Boston in 2018! Now we gotta remember to train in a year or so

FM
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #2303
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
shit man, I almost never visit here, also don't visit Strava very often (Garmin auto uploads everything) and even less these days as I'm in offseason mode (VERY offseason) and was on vacation in Cancun when this happened, but HOLY CRAP!!! I ran 3:17:50 to get my 2018 BQ and was proud as all heck, you ran 3:10, that's just freaknig unbelievable!!!

There'll be two FOFCers on Boston in 2018! Now we gotta remember to train in a year or so

FM
First off - thanks! I was definitely inspired by your time and your dedication to training. I am really excited that we are both running Boston in 2018 and I feel like there are at least two or three other FOFCers who could/should try to qualify to race against for money run with us!

See you in Boston and thanks again!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #2304
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

quite honestly, the magnitude of running Boston freaks me out... I decided to not even register for 2017, even though I had a BQ, cause, well our whole budget went into that Cancun vacation with the family, but I also wanted to research the whole thing of how the logistics of running Boston will work...

FM
Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #2305
digamma
Torchbearer

It's pretty easy actually. It's the most organized race in the world and they have everything down to a T. Plenty of affordable hotels in downtown Boston and you catch a bus to the starting line and they have a wonderful athlete's village in Hopkinton.

THe most difficult thing is really for spectators. For runners it is a treat. The city embraces the day and it is pretty magical to walk around town later in the afternoon with your marathon jacket on getting lots of congrats and high fives.

Don't think about missing it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #2306
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Ran in the Joplin Turkey Trot 5k this morning and won my age division (45-49) with a time of 22:53. Never even realistically believed that this would be possible, especially less than a year ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without being out of breath. I know several guys on FOFC would destroy my time but man I'm still proud as hell about this. Guys like Subby, HerRealName, Kodos and others are such an inspiration.

I was pretty nervous about this race because I haven't done any speed training at all, mostly just logging 30-40 miles a week and figured I'd be stuck around 8:30 to 9:30 pace as most of my runs fall into.

Anyway, just wanted to share in the FOFC dominance!
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #2307
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Awesome, congrats!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #2308
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's great, MC! Congratulations!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #2309
hoopsguy
General Manager

Funny how that 30-40 miles a week can translate in a 5k

I'm just ramping up for my first stab at that kind of consistent mileage. Picked up the Hanson Half Marathon book and I'm doing the Beginner Half Marathon program. Mainly because the time commits for running 6 days a week are daunting enough when mileage is >40/week that I wasn't going to tackle the intermediate program.

Now I have to find a 1/2 marathon for the week in between my birthday and the NCAA tournament weekend Racing season in Chicago is pretty soft up until the Shamrock 5 mile race, right around St. Patrick's Day.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #2310
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Great job, MC!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #2311
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
Ran in the Joplin Turkey Trot 5k this morning and won my age division (45-49) with a time of 22:53. Never even realistically believed that this would be possible, especially less than a year ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without being out of breath. I know several guys on FOFC would destroy my time but man I'm still proud as hell about this. Guys like Subby, HerRealName, Kodos and others are such an inspiration.

I was pretty nervous about this race because I haven't done any speed training at all, mostly just logging 30-40 miles a week and figured I'd be stuck around 8:30 to 9:30 pace as most of my runs fall into.

Anyway, just wanted to share in the FOFC dominance!
That is just an incredibly impressive time and result. Great job man! Since you have been on Strava I have been keeping tabs on your runs and they are really solid. I feel like the sky's the limit for you. Keep up the good work!

Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #2312
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks for all the kind words, it is very appreciated.

Right now my calves are crazy sore. Funny I put in 40 miles a week and have minimal soreness, and one little 5k makes my calves want to explode.

I really want to run a half marathon pretty soon, but like hoopsguy the pickings are pretty slim around here for quite a while. But then I really really want to train for a marathon since I basically run a half marathon already almost every weekend. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to commit, although I have six months to go before my targeted Joplin Memorial Marathon.

Thanks Subby, I hope I can keep improving to get my 5k pace equal to your marathon pace! At times it did get frustrating feeling like there wasn't any improvements being made, but slowly but unsurely! I noticed the pace getting better and a 5k was more of a warm up than a long run. Then I'd run up a hill and realize that it used to kick my ass, small gains that meant a lot.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #2313
hoopsguy
General Manager

Anyone here that can use a free Smashrun subscription? PM me if interested, first come, first serve.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #2314
Kodos
Resident Alien

2017 goals

It's time to finalize my 2017 goals. Over the past few years, I've proven that I will reliably get up earlier than I'd like to to go run, whether it is hot or cold out, rainy, sunny, foggy, snowy, windy, whatever. I love running, so getting myself up in the morning to go do that isn't usually a problem. Where I have failed miserably is in instituting any sort of regular strengthening program. I'll do an occasional workout here and there, but I never stay with it long enough to make a difference. Given a choice of sleeping in later or getting up early to do burpees, planks, and push-ups... well, history says I'm almost surely going to opt for the extra sleep. In 2017, I want to attack my weakest areas and do things that I have failed to do in the past. What's the point of having a goal if it isn't ambitious? With that in mind, here are the goals and milestones I'm aiming to hit in 2017.

1. I want to be able to do 25 pull-ups at one time. (Ambitious goal. Currently, I can do somewhere between one and none. I'm not sure I've ever been able to do 25 at a time, and if so, I was a lot younger, lighter and stronger then.)

2. I want to be able to do 100 good push-ups at one time. (Seems very doable if I put the work in regularly.)

3. I want to lower my normal weight from 185ish to 175ish, which might help with the whole 25 pull-up thing. (I've been in the 180s for a couple years now, down from 215 four years ago.)

4. Run 1,000 miles again in 2017.

5. Run a sub-4 hour marathon. (I ran a 4:13:55 last year in my first marathon.)

6. Run a sub-20 minute 5k. (21:58 is my best effort in my forties.)

Wish me luck! I will report my results at the end of the year.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-11-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #2315
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Good luck Kodos! Your goals are as admirable as your achievements to this point. Keep it up!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #2316
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Anyone know if it is possible to separate bike activities from run activities when viewing the total miles from a calendar year? This year I introduced biking into the mix but now I can't tell how many miles I ran vs biked.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #2317
hoopsguy
General Manager

Weird to see this thread all the way back on page 5.

No races to report, but did want to share that I've found a running shoe that has really hit a sweet spot for me.
Amazon.com | Adidas Performance Men's Supernova Glide 8 M Running Shoe | Shoes

Which got me wondering about what are the favorite shoes for other runners?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #2318
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I've got really wide feet and my left foot is almost a half size longer than my right, and I also like to run with minimalist shoes, so it's hard for me to find much that works. A couple of the versions of the Brooks PureFlow have worked for me. Mizuno Wave Universe 4 and Wave Hitogami 3 worked well. By far my best, though, was the New Balance Minimus 10V2. Unfortunately I didn't stock up on them and the later versions didn't fit my feet well at all.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #2319
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Weird to see this thread all the way back on page 5.

No races to report, but did want to share that I've found a running shoe that has really hit a sweet spot for me.
Amazon.com | Adidas Performance Men's Supernova Glide 8 M Running Shoe | Shoes

The Glide 8 is spectacular, I'm nearing 400 miles on it and there is plenty of life to go. I'll definitely keep buying this shoe as long as I can find them. The Adidas Adios boost 3 is also great to add in the rotation with the glide 8. Check out runrepeat.com for any great deals. Got the Adios 50% off.

Oh, and I've got a little 15k this Saturday, a 5k, and a marathon in May.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #2320
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I took advantage of Nike's 20% off clearance (plus 12% from ebates) to get the Pegasus 33 for about $68 and change.

Got my first 5k of the year on Saturday, hopefully I'll be able to break them in by then.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #2321
HerRealName
College Prospect

My current shoe is the Asics 33-M2 which has been discontinued. The combination of being bigger than the average runner and the hard concrete running surface around here is not a good recipe for running shoe life. As soon as I realized they were discontinued, I went out and grabbed all 4 size 14's that I could find. I'll be able to get through 2017 before starting the search for a new shoe.

Good luck on your races, MC. You've been training like a beast.

I have my eye on an early April race if I stay healthy.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #2322
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I am 100% onboard with the new Adidas shoe as well.

Adidas shoes has always been to narrow for my foot but the Ultra Boost that fits like a sock, like the Nike flyknit and has a way better cushioning than the nike shoe.

The first pair lasted for over 2000 km
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #2323
digamma
Torchbearer

Hey, Subby, nice weekend Strava activity, bud.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #2324
Subby
lolzcat

Nice official meeting of the FOFC Strava Club this weekend in DC! digamma could not be dropped no matter how hard I tried.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-09 07.56.55.jpg (151.1 KB, 148 views)

Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #2325
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I've been running in Hoka One One Infinites lately. I never thought I would want a shoe with that much cushioning, but they really do a great job with shock absorption. I bought them online, so my biggest issue is that they don't fit perfectly, but they were heavily discounted. So I can live with that.

I thought they would be uber slow, but I ran my fastest HM split ever while wearing them, so I obviously don't know shit. :\

Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #2326
Subby
lolzcat

Against all odds, me, a middle-aged man, started a blog. It's mostly so I have a place to post the pretty pictures I take when I run or bike, but it's also for keeping track of some of the dumbass runs and rides I do/want to do.

Anyway, I did a 300 mile ride a few weekends ago and ended up writing about it (if you are interested). Basically I am just looking for an excuse to bump this thread and see how everyone is doing.

https://chrisshue.com/2017/05/02/300-miles-in-24-hours/

Old 05-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #2327
Kodos
Resident Alien

Subby, I loved that article. The way you just recklessly grab life by the balls with no thought of doing the more sensible thing is really inspiring to see (from a guy who tends to stick to the safer side of the road). You have a gift for writing Subby-style. Love it. Keep on kicking ass out there. I shared it with my brother, who is a cyclist like you. I'm sure he'll appreciate your Subby-insights.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #2328
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm running the OC Half Marathon on Sunday. It will be my first serious run since the Long Beach last September when I was running (terribly) with sciatica.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #2329
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Subby, I loved that article. The way you just recklessly grab life by the balls with no thought of doing the more sensible thing is really inspiring to see (from a guy who tends to stick to the safer side of the road). You have a gift for writing Subby-style. Love it. Keep on kicking ass out there. I shared it with my brother, who is a cyclist like you. I'm sure he'll appreciate your Subby-insights.
Hah. Thanks - that makes me very happy!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #2330
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm running the OC Half Marathon on Sunday. It will be my first serious run since the Long Beach last September when I was running (terribly) with sciatica.
Good luck! You got this.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #2331
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

After following Subby on Strava for over a year now, I'm starting to know when Subby is up to Subby stuff. The day of the 300 he hadn't uploaded any activities and I was just waiting to see what epic adventure he was up to. I wasn't expecting a 300 for sure, but I knew it would be awesome. What Subby didn't mention in his post is the next day he ran 5 miles and rode like another 30.

What is amazing is the energy and the love for life he shows in his daily activities. I just can't imagine having the energy to do all he does. It truly is inspiring and makes me want to work harder to achieve the things he does.

I really enjoyed the blog Subby and look forward to future posts. And you are seriously making me want to buy a bike.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #2332
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
After following Subby on Strava for over a year now, I'm starting to know when Subby is up to Subby stuff. The day of the 300 he hadn't uploaded any activities and I was just waiting to see what epic adventure he was up to. I wasn't expecting a 300 for sure, but I knew it would be awesome. What Subby didn't mention in his post is the next day he ran 5 miles and rode like another 30.

What is amazing is the energy and the love for life he shows in his daily activities. I just can't imagine having the energy to do all he does. It truly is inspiring and makes me want to work harder to achieve the things he does.

I really enjoyed the blog Subby and look forward to future posts. And you are seriously making me want to buy a bike.
Uh...I don't really even know what to say. This is all really nice of you. Thank you!

30 seconds of proselytizing about the bike - I was a "runner" for years, but kept getting injured, mostly from starting too fast or (shocking) trying to do too much. I never really was able to build up a consistent base and (shocking again) would never really curtail my eating because I was so bummed about my running issues. So weight was always an issue, which didn't really help the running. Anyway, even though I originally bought a hybrid in 2012 as a way of getting out of my car commute a few times per week, it also enabled me to have a different way of exercising that didn't FEEL like exercising (let's face it, exercise is absolutely terrible). It got me off my legs enough that when I did run, I didn't feel like my shins were going to snap in half. I also didn't feel like I had to run 10 miles every time I ran because on the other days I was going to bike.

executive summary: bikes are good for cross training!

Last edited by Subby : 05-03-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #2333
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

So I'm running my first marathon in a week (May 20) and I'm about to drive myself crazy worrying about anything and everything. Maybe this is normal but I really am doubting if I'm ready. I still have no idea what my marathon pace should be, I'm thinking around 8:30 to 8:45, and possibly a 9:00 if it's hot and humid on race day. The stupid side of me wants to chase the 8 minute pacer as long as I can but I'd really like to at least finish the race.

I'm still trying to decide which shoe to wear. Adidas boston 6 or Adidas Adios 3. I so want to use the Adios but I really don't think my feet can handle them for 26.2. The Boston's have much better heel cushioning, which I'm sure will come in handy past mile 20, but the Adios are so much a better racing shoe.

On the good side I ran a 5k last weekend and set another PR at 21:38. I finished 3rd overall and won my age division. Was pretty cool sprinting to the finish to beat a guy by a foot or less, who I was behind by about 20-30 yards until the last 1/4 mile. I ran this race last year and ran a 29:29.

Also ran a 15k a couple of months ago and took 11th overall and 2nd in my age division. Missed 1st by 7 seconds. I don't recall the exact time but it was a 7:55 pace. I do remember the 26 degree day though, oh hell it was St. Patrick's day.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #2334
digamma
Torchbearer

Based on your times, 8:30 seems too slow as a goal pace. I'd say you're borderline to run 3:30 (8:00 pace), but the 3:40s would seem very doable.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #2335
HerRealName
College Prospect

Taper madness is very real. I obsessively check the weather every time and have had terrible luck on the weather side all 4 times - the last one ended up cancelling on race morning. I'm still pissed off a month and a half later.

On the shoe front, have you worn the Adios on a 20 without problems? If so, that should be a good indicator for race day. If not, it might be best to go with the shoe that worked on those long runs.

I think 3:40 -3:45 looks like a good target but it all depends on your conditions. It looks like it might be a little on the warm side but it all depends on how early it warms up that morning.

Good luck! You've trained well - trust your training!
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #2336
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good luck, Mizzou. My advice (from my one marathon) is to go out a little slow. Going out too fast cost me at the end. But it looks like you're ready to run a good time!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #2337
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah I think I'm not quite ready for a 3:30 and may never be. I think I'll try for a 3:45 and if I'm feeling ok after 20 maybe try to shave a minute or two.

And yes I have been obsessed with the forecast. It has ranged from perfect conditions to 30-40 mile gusts. Now it is predicting 80% thunderstorms. It'd be quite a disappointment if it gets cancelled.

I just did a nice 10 in my Boston's and I feel very comfortable with them. Was only supposed to do 8 but I really needed a good confidence booster and the 10 felt super easy. I'd put the Boston's in between the Glide 8 and the Adios. Longest I've went in either shoe was 15-16 miles. I feel the glide is just too heavy for the full distance but it's the only shoe I've taken past 20.

Going to try to keep it slow the first couple of miles, especially with it being a long descent before mile after mile of rolling hills. None real steep but it seems they never stop.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #2338
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...

So Monday I strained/pulled a muscle in my buttocks up into my lower back by simply trying to stand up from a kneeling position. Fell back to my knees three times trying to get up, guess thinking that if I can get up it didn't really happen. I probably looked like a boxer trying to recover from a knockout.

I haven't gave up but it's looking pretty slim for Saturday. I can walk now but any sudden movement/twisting is not recommended.

The weather is not cooperating either, still at 80% thunderstorms.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #2339
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hopefully things come together and you can still do your marathon, but if not, there are always other marathons coming up. Hang in there, MC.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:20 AM   #2340
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Just completed my first ever 30 km trail run in Oslo.
As it was my first time running trail and with the fiasco from last year’s marathon in mind, I had decided not to worry about the time at all. I took it really slow out of the gate and was passed by a lot of people. The first 20 km was in the woods and a bit tricky with a lot of up and down on slippery trails. The last 10 was flat and along the road. Was happy to see that I passed a lot of the people that went past me early.

All in all a god experience. Will properly sign up for a few more this year.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 05-22-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #2341
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...

So Monday I strained/pulled a muscle in my buttocks up into my lower back by simply trying to stand up from a kneeling position. Fell back to my knees three times trying to get up, guess thinking that if I can get up it didn't really happen. I probably looked like a boxer trying to recover from a knockout.

I haven't gave up but it's looking pretty slim for Saturday. I can walk now but any sudden movement/twisting is not recommended.

The weather is not cooperating either, still at 80% thunderstorms.

Heal up quick! There are a million and one marathons and if you haven't signed up for a race only to not make the starting line, you aren't a real runner (i.e. I AM A VERY REAL RUNNER).

Last edited by Subby : 05-22-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #2342
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
Just completed my first ever 30 km trail run in Oslo.
As it was my first time running trail and with the fiasco from last year’s marathon in mind, I had decided not to worry about the time at all. I took it really slow out of the gate and was passed by a lot of people. The first 20 km was in the woods and a bit tricky with a lot of up and down on slippery trails. The last 10 was flat and along the road. Was happy to see that I passed a lot of the people that went past me early.

All in all a god experience. Will properly sign up for a few more this year.
Great job! Longer and longer trail runs are definitely on my to do list in the future. Such a different feeling from road racing, where you can just zone out for hours. Trail racing is mentally draining because you have to focus on almost every footfall.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #2343
Subby
lolzcat

You may have seen this on STRAVA but it didn't post until late Friday night, so just in case you missed it...

It was HARD AF.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #2344
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You may have seen this on STRAVA but it didn't post until late Friday night, so just in case you missed it...

It was HARD AF.

I'll have to go check it out.

Actually, I forget if we're connected on Strava.

In any case, you finished it right? So good job. If it were easy, everyone would do it haha.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #2345
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

It was HARD AF.

So I had a few days in Mallorca over the weekend, and logged a couple of rides up some large hills/small mountains. Looked on FOFC Strava and saw Subby had only had one ride so assumed he was up to something, and I guess this was it!

It's clearly impressive physically, but I can't imagine the mental aspect of just repeating the same hill over 18 hours... just nuts.

Slightly disappointed no negative splits though tbh
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #2346
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It was HARD AF.

16 hours on a bike up and down the same hill !!

That is very cool (and a little bit insane )

Well done Sir

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 06-21-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #2347
Subby
lolzcat

Anyone else run their #STRAVAMILE this month? I think if you do it you are entered into a drawing for free shoes for you and *ahem* ten of your friends.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #2348
digamma
Torchbearer

Hey bubba, I think you need to tag your activity #mymile rather than #stravamile .
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #2349
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Hey bubba, I think you need to tag your activity #mymile rather than #stravamile .
I think you are correct my friend!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #2350
Kodos
Resident Alien

Any good treadmill recommendations. Looking into getting one. Hard to find an objective website for reviews, as many of them seem to get revenue kickbacks by linking right to company websites.