Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #23751
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
It's chicken and egg. I would love to vote 3rd party but feel that we cannot until Citizen's United is repealed.

I don't actually think Citizen's United matters that much here - pre CU you didn't have viable 3rd parties really - you had a rich guy who could spend his own money, but that exists today as well. The only way 3rd parties are going to matter is with Ranked Voting (which Maine now has for federal elections) or a Parliamentary system.

But even with ranked voting, it'll probably take a while for 3rd party representation in Congress.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #23752
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think the risk of some of the more extreme democratic positions getting enacted under Biden is pretty small. The guy is a moderate.

There weren't even 60 Dems in the Senate for a public option.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #23753
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There weren't even 60 Dems in the Senate for a public option.

Yeah, I can't see Senator Manchin voting for Medicare for All (though he has voted for protecting the ACA as is at least)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #23754
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't want to have to wear a face mask in the shower.

How can you get anywhere when GOP senators are willing to spout such bullshit?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #23755
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How can you get anywhere when GOP senators are willing to spout such bullshit?

How about John Cornyn saying this during a PBS interview yesterday?

Quote:
"Well, the good news is that if you lose your employer-provided coverage, which covers about 180 million Americans, that is a significant life event, which makes you then eligible to sign up for the Affordable Care Act -- and as you know, it has a sliding scale of subsidies up to 400% of poverty. So that's an option for people.... [T]he good news is people can find, get coverage under the Affordable Care Act or via Medicaid based on their income."

Cornyn has voted 20 times to block, repeal, or defund the ACA.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #23756
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Why is it unlikely that Trump gets voted out?

Think of all the shit he's pulled and he's still polling the same.

The regions that support him haven't changed, or been affected to a state they'll go blue.

He's going to be re-elected and put another judge on SCOTUS. Plus have you seen the circuit judges they've been shunting in?

Then at the end of the 4 years, he'll have enough judges to stay as POTUS until his son is ready to take over.

Barr and company will do anything to prop him.

Putin didn't really have to do much to damage the US permanently. We're doing it quite well now on our own.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 05-13-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #23757
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
COBRA payments are steep since you are now covering the entire cost of the premium with no employer subsidy, but curious how you see this as more helpful to insurance companies than consumers? There is going to be hit regardless. So your are either paying it to an already stretched Medicare program with what is assuredly a multitude or regulations and qualifiers, or putting it on state Medicaid, which creates a greater funding burden.

With all of current Covid-19 related disbursement funds for providers that state programs provide for testing, practice relief, incentives and community based assistance programs administered through health care providers, Medicaid is already running at a financial redline.

There is no winner in where ever you choose to pump additional cash, but at least with the COBRA subsidies it is less taxing on the insureds, who can keep a familiar product without disruption to their healthcare needs.

If insurance companies are losing customers, perhaps them and the doctors should lower their rates to make premiums more affordable? Like in a free market?

Y'all wanted private health insurance, deal with the consequences.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #23758
Atocep
Coordinator

The Wisconsin Supreme Court rules that the state's stay at home order is illegal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #23759
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am a NO Trump, highly likely never Republican, mostly Libertarian/ but possible Democrat voter. I voted Claire McCaskill and actually like Biden as a candidate though the possibility of Amash had made me reconsider a little. My problem is my vote for Biden would be a vote for no Trump and a return to sanity but fear a Biden victory would lead the Democrats to believe my vote was a mandate on some of the crazier (EDIT: IMO) Sanders/AOC/Pelosi aspects of the Democratic Party.
Don't worry too much, every time the Democrats get that power that "crazier" wing and the "let's be pragmatic and not piss off Republican voters" wing devolve into infighting and let the Republican Party dig in and prevent any massive changes. (Fwiw I don't like her, but I also don't think Pelosi is super progressive or radical.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #23760
RainMaker
General Manager

lol at putting Pelosi in the same category as AOC and Sanders.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #23761
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If insurance companies are losing customers, perhaps them and the doctors should lower their rates to make premiums more affordable? Like in a free market?

This is literally a plan to help people who have lost insurance by helping to pay for a program that these people are already eligible for, but sure, completely miss the point (esp since insurance companies aren't really fans of COBRA and would prefer these people have to buy individual policies outside of a group health plan).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-13-2020 at 10:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #23762
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This is literally a plan to help people who have lost insurance by helping to pay for a program that these people are already eligible for, but sure, completely miss the point.

It's not a program, it's just the cost for a private health insurance plan.

The point is, why not just put them on Medicare? A program that already exists. Put the money allocated toward that instead of handing it to a private health insurance company that now doesn't have to adjust their price to the market.

It's another privatize profits, socialize losses play. Sorry that the private health insurance defenders got exposed as frauds by this. Change how its done instead of prop up a failed idea.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #23763
RainMaker
General Manager

Government health care is bad unless they add in a completely unnecessary middleman to collect billions in taxpayer money. Then it is good.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #23764
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not a program, it's just the cost for a private health insurance plan.

The point is, why not just put them on Medicare? A program that already exists. Put the money allocated toward that instead of handing it to a private health insurance company that now doesn't have to adjust their price to the market.

It's another privatize profits, socialize losses play. Sorry that the private health insurance defenders got exposed as frauds by this. Change how its done instead of prop up a failed idea.

Please let us know when you make that magic wand that will convince even the conservative Dems in the Senate to put people on Medicare who've lost their jobs due to this pandemic (adding them onto a Medicaid expansion would be more likely politically, but still DOA). Paying for part of COBRA has, of course, been done before in a stimulus, and is far more likely to pass - but when have you ever cared about that?

I'm just tired of the morons who claim the ACA was just a giveaway to the insurance companies when for about a decade I've been enforcing the ACA against insurance companies who try to get around the mandates of the ACA (usually they try to play fast and loose with what is considered preventive care). No insurance company attorney I've interviewed actually likes the ACA (though they always say they want to follow it... though then they interpret it in strange ways). In addition, prior to the ACA, the federal government hardly went after the insurance companies, as that was considered a state issue. Not to mention the original law had Medicaid expansion required (struck down by the Supreme Court).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-13-2020 at 10:54 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #23765
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

If you had to work with the morass of inane over regulation that is CMS, you wouldn't be so quick to trumpet that cause, I promise. I am for Universal Health care, but we are nowhere near ready for it here yet.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #23766
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
If you had to work with the morass of inane over regulation that is CMS, you wouldn't be so quick to trumpet that cause, I promise. I am for Universal Health care, but we are nowhere near ready for it here yet.

It is unfortunate that there weren't the votes for a public option. I also wonder if most people who trumpet M4A realize that most people on Medicare purchase private insurance to supplement the gaps (Medicare Advantage/Part C or Medigap). Not to mention that there is cost sharing applied in Medicare (deductible and copays, though they are pretty reasonable as far as I can tell).
Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #23767
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

Putin didn't really have to do much to damage the US permanently. We're doing it quite well now on our own.

Serious question but I am now starting to wonder if my grandkids will be reading in history books someday about how the US lost the Cold War with the old USSR/Russia thanks to them getting a Manchuria Candidate type elected with Trump in 2016/2020 and who knows if one his kids get elected after him.
Working in Cyber security I see quite a bit of the attack’s and threats they generate and send at us to just poison Americans and our systems of democracy and is pretty un-nerving. Do we do it them and other “enemies” of the US? Yes, it is just we are not as successful at it as they are are.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #23768
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Not that there was any doubt.

I'm guessing that this is a pretty good time for the GOP Senate to release this. Long before the 2020 election, and its gonna get buried in COVID-19 news.

Trump/Barr's FBI just got a search warrant for Barr as part of the insider trading scandal.

At first, I thought it was strange that they were bothering to go after a Republican.

But then I learned that, apparently, the Senate Intelligence Committee (of which Barr is the chair) still has more of this Report to release.

I don't think that anyone in the United States noticed when this report came out. But it must have ruffled a few feathers in Moscow and the White House.

So how does this work now? Barr will step down as committee chair. McConnell will appoint a new committee chair, and the Report will now focus on Hunter Biden.

Oh, and after Barr steps down, the DOJ investigation into him will just sort of peter out . . .

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-14-2020 at 06:46 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #23769
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
lol at putting Pelosi in the same category as AOC and Sanders.

Yep, she's the de facto head of the party is she not? If they decide to run with AOC and Sanders ideas guess who implements it?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #23770
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Serious question but I am now starting to wonder if my grandkids will be reading in history books someday about how the US lost the Cold War with the old USSR/Russia thanks to them getting a Manchuria Candidate type elected with Trump in 2016/2020 and who knows if one his kids get elected after him.
Working in Cyber security I see quite a bit of the attack’s and threats they generate and send at us to just poison Americans and our systems of democracy and is pretty un-nerving. Do we do it them and other “enemies” of the US? Yes, it is just we are not as successful at it as they are are.

Seriously? I've seen this a few times on here the last couple of days there really is some sort of fear of a monarchy with Don Jr. or Ivanka as the new dictator/king/queen? LOL, too much Game of Thrones watching I guess?

And you can't be serious on the United States unsuccessfully meddling in other countries affairs. That's the entire basis of the Cold War in South Korea, Japan, Western Europe, Central America, the Middle East...

Last edited by panerd : 05-14-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #23771
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Trump/Barr's FBI just got a search warrant for Barr as part of the insider trading scandal.

At first, I thought it was strange that they were bothering to go after a Republican.

But then I learned that, apparently, the Senate Intelligence Committee (of which Barr is the chair) still has more of this Report to release.

I don't think that anyone in the United States noticed when this report came out. But it must have ruffled a few feathers in Moscow and the White House.

So how does this work now? Barr will step down as committee chair. McConnell will appoint a new committee chair, and the Report will now focus on Hunter Biden.

Oh, and after Barr steps down, the DOJ investigation into him will just sort of peter out . . .

You, among all of us, should know by now that the proper framing of any "think about this Administration and what they do" is to adopt the mindset that they are simply a fairly standard organized crime enterprise (albeit out of the usual milieu for same). The loyalty-above-all, turf-defending, deceit-as-default, ruthlessness... it all makes complete sense in that light.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #23772
spleen1015
Coordinator

My worry is that he will somehow win the election by rigging things in his favor.

Right now, I think the next several months are going to end up being key in the election. If we keep going down the road we are and things get worse, it is going to be really bad for his re-election chances.

Also, 3 million less people voted in 2016 than in 2012. If more people vote, then I don't think he'll win either.

I didn't think he was going to win in 2016 either, so what the hell do I know?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-14-2020 at 08:38 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #23773
Jas_lov
College Starter

In recent polling Trump was trailing Biden among voters 65+ If that holds he won't win. He won that demographic by 7-8 points in 2016.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #23774
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seriously? I've seen this a few times on here the last couple of days there really is some sort of fear of a monarchy with Don Jr. or Ivanka as the new dictator/king/queen? LOL, too much Game of Thrones watching I guess?

And you can't be serious on the United States unsuccessfully meddling in other countries affairs. That's the entire basis of the Cold War in South Korea, Japan, Western Europe, Central America, the Middle East...

Cool, downplay it. That's why we have this Idiot in Chief now. He wants legacy ("the wall") and he plays up his genes and progeny. Feel free to be ignorant about it.

Quote:

I think you are being too nationalistic about it. Putin only cares about Putin, he uses nationalism to control the masses, it's how he wields the influence. From what I gather, Putin and his loyalists are very wealthy and that is how they pushed on toppling influence.

It's not about USA vs Russia or China. It's about the rich controlling power. The very wealthy and the very wealthy combining their influence and using nationalism and culture to foment and control.

Trump only cares about Trump. He'll do anything to keep power. They'll do everything to keep power (more Trump circuit judges, control SCOTUS). Even if they lose the Senate, I'm pretty sure they'll take it to court and win because Trump wants loyalty over all else.

Every system built to prevent this has been stripped or compromised. Once he gets the election, he'll force for an extension of term limits because "he's better than any president" and his base will go to war for it. If he has the Senate and SCOTUS, it'll be a mere formality.

Then he'll sell his brand for Donald Jr (really it'll still be Kushner behind the scenes) and Donald (just like when Putin had Medvedev as his proxy). It'll be Donald. Will the courts stacked with loyalists, there will be no opposition. He'll simply crush them with Foxnews and prosecutions.

His followers will lap it up. The stupids will "own" America culturally, the Corporations will own America financially, and the rich will own America in reality.

Watch what happens in November and tell me I'm wrong. I'm not some conspiracy theorists, it is like watching a car crash happen in slow motion.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #23775
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
In recent polling Trump was trailing Biden among voters 65+ If that holds he won't win. He won that demographic by 7-8 points in 2016.

I think some news outlet polled that Trump is leading in all battleground states. They're the only ones that matter. He only needs a few of those and it Trump time all the time.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #23776
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cool, downplay it. That's why we have this Idiot in Chief now. He wants legacy ("the wall") and he plays up his genes and progeny. Feel free to be ignorant about it.

The "Idiot in Chief" (your words) who is an imbecile in every sense of the word (my words) is going to overthrow 200+ years of American government thus leading to a Trump ruling dynasty? Yeah you are right I am the one being ignorant that theory is not out there at all!
Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #23777
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
The "Idiot in Chief" (your words) who is an imbecile in every sense of the word (my words) is going to overthrow 200+ years of American government thus leading to a Trump ruling dynasty? Yeah you are right I am the one being ignorant that theory is not out there at all!

Okay, whatever you say man. Laugh about it. Trump is an idiot, but the powers that back him aren't.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #23778
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If Trump wins in 2020, I don't know how anyone can dismiss Ivanka being a big contender in 2024.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #23779
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
It is unfortunate that there weren't the votes for a public option. I also wonder if most people who trumpet M4A realize that most people on Medicare purchase private insurance to supplement the gaps (Medicare Advantage/Part C or Medigap). Not to mention that there is cost sharing applied in Medicare (deductible and copays, though they are pretty reasonable as far as I can tell).

The deductibles can be a killer for folks not making a lot of money. 1408.00 once per benefit period for an IP admit, then a coinsurance 352.00 for days 61-90 if it is long term.

In addition if a member is discharged and stays out of an inpatient setting for over 60 days a new benefit period starts meaning another 1408.00 deductible. So in theory a member could be admitted for short stays (2-4 days) in January, April, July and November and have to pay 5632.00 in deductible charges in addition to any part B cost share (198.00 yearly deductible then 20% coinsurance) so it can add up.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #23780
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think some news outlet polled that Trump is leading in all battleground states. They're the only ones that matter. He only needs a few of those and it Trump time all the time.

Something is odd about that poll, though. It has Biden up 6 nationally, but down 7 in those battleground states. I could maybe buy Biden being slightly behind, but a 13 point difference between national and battleground is just too much to take seriously, IMO.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #23781
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
If Trump wins in 2020, I don't know how anyone can dismiss Ivanka being a big contender in 2024.

Or Donald Jr. who has all of the arrogance/ignorance of his dad, but can actually string coherent, intelligent sentences together.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #23782
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The polls seem a bit weird right now.

Like, if these Senate polls are to be believed, then the GOP is in for the bloodbath of our lifetimes:

What To Make Of Those New Senate Polls That Have Democrats Way Ahead | FiveThirtyEight

I mean, if that's the national mood, then states like Ohio and Iowa are back in play for the Democrats.

But these polls seem like crazy outliers and out of sync with the polls showing Trump cutting into Biden's lead, Trump's approval remaining steady, Trump keeping very high GOP support, etc.

On balance, there seems to be more good news than bad for the GOP, but there's some crazy shit out there right now.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #23783
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

LOL at you guys. Seriously I love the fact that this board doesn't get into "Bush did this!" well "Obama did this!" nonsense of most of the internet and the discourse is really civil and often productive. But Ivanka or Don Jr. in 2024? You guys are out of your minds obsessed with fear of Donald Trump!
Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #23784
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think we're reacting to the fact that his backers stick with him no matter what he does. Stuff that would be political death to others bounces off of him. I do think people are going a little far in extrapolating what might happen down the road with his offspring, in part because we got burned so badly when Trump won the presidency. At a time where a competent president would have been a really good thing to have, we got a conspiracy theorist who doesn't believe in science.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-14-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #23785
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Be careful what you wish for, Donnie.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #23786
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This isn't just pie-in-the-sky speculation.

From January:
Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump among top Republican picks for 2024 | US news | The Guardian

Quote:
Forty percent of respondents to the survey by news site Axios and Survey Monkey wanted the vice-president, Mike Pence, to be the Republican nominee in 2024, whether to succeed Donald Trump in the Oval Office or to take on a Democratic incumbent if this year’s race is lost.

Twenty-six percent wanted Nikki Haley, formerly governor of South Carolina and ambassador to the United Nations under Trump.

But 29% plumped for Donald Trump Jr, a regular surrogate for his father despite nominally being separated from the political side of the family by joint control, with his brother Eric, of the Trump Organization.

Ivanka Trump, with her husband, Jared Kushner, a senior adviser in the White House, was supported by 16%.

Note: This isn't a traditional Survey Monkey poll - there was a random selection by Axios and Survey Monkey. I don't think it's as good as some of the traditional polls, but it isn't self selected results either.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #23787
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL at you guys. Seriously I love the fact that this board doesn't get into "Bush did this!" well "Obama did this!" nonsense of most of the internet and the discourse is really civil and often productive. But Ivanka or Don Jr. in 2024? You guys are out of your minds obsessed with fear of Donald Trump!

I'm sure those on the Titanic thought it was going to turn out alright too.

Quote:

From January:
Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump among top Republican picks for 2024 | US news | The Guardian

Quote:
Forty percent of respondents to the survey by news site Axios and Survey Monkey wanted the vice-president, Mike Pence, to be the Republican nominee in 2024, whether to succeed Donald Trump in the Oval Office or to take on a Democratic incumbent if this year’s race is lost.

Twenty-six percent wanted Nikki Haley, formerly governor of South Carolina and ambassador to the United Nations under Trump.

But 29% plumped for Donald Trump Jr, a regular surrogate for his father despite nominally being separated from the political side of the family by joint control, with his brother Eric, of the Trump Organization.

Ivanka Trump, with her husband, Jared Kushner, a senior adviser in the White House, was supported by 16%.

Note: This isn't a traditional Survey Monkey poll - there was a random selection by Axios and Survey Monkey. I don't think it's as good as some of the traditional polls, but it isn't self selected results either.

You can laugh all you want, Republicans have a base now that is fanatical in keeping control the way they want to the point of subverting all government controls.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #23788
bronconick
College Starter

That and the next GOP nominee will probably try to harness Trump's campaign style and ideas unless he gets beaten badly in November, which is unlikely when he continues to hold 40-45% overall and 85-90% of the Republican party. If it isn't a Don Jr, it'll be someone trying to copy Trump (DeSantis maybe?). It's not going to be a Paul Ryan or a Pence.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #23789
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
That and the next GOP nominee will probably try to harness Trump's campaign style and ideas unless he gets beaten badly in November, which is unlikely when he continues to hold 40-45% overall and 85-90% of the Republican party. If it isn't a Don Jr, it'll be someone trying to copy Trump (DeSantis maybe?). It's not going to be a Paul Ryan or a Pence.

Right, if Trump wins or loses closely in November (and then Trump claims he was stabbed in the back by the media or something), 2024 is going to have a Trump like GOP candidate (if not Trump himself if he loses this year).

The only way to prevent that is for him to get thumped.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #23790
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

From January:

So if the GOP runs a Jewish woman won't that cut into the misogynism and Nazi sympathizer angle that every other GOP candidate is usually painted with?

Just don't see it happening but I guess I will back off you guys being nuts and just stick with people in general being nuts if >1% would support either as a candidate for President of the United States. Personally I have no fear of it happening as...

1) Trump isn't winning in 2020
2) If he did Mike Pence would run in 2024 as running either of the other two would be giving up the race.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #23791
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So if the GOP runs a Jewish woman won't that cut into the misogynism and Nazi sympathizer angle that every other GOP candidate is usually painted with?

I have my speculation that Ivanka is actually far more of a moderate (if not a conservative Democrat). That may hurt her against Don, Jr.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #23792
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he did Mike Pence would run in 2024 as running either of the other two would be giving up the race.

You know there is a primary right? Don Jr is apparently had chants of "46!" at Trump rallies and you KNOW that Trump is going to go for one of his own over Pence. That Trump endorsement is going to be massive.

Now, Pence may still win, but a Trump kid is going to be in the top 3 in 2024 if Trump wins in November.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #23793
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have my speculation that Ivanka is actually far more of a moderate (if not a conservative Democrat). That may hurt her against Don, Jr.

I think Donald Trump is too but he sees the only way to stay in power is to play off this current persona. (He's on awful president by the way but I'm not sure he cares about most of the stuff he does, he just does it to stay in power)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #23794
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Trump has always been a racist who wanted benefits for the wealthy though - for decades this is how he was seen in the NYC metro area. He may be more liberal when dealing with gay and lesbian people, but he's been as moderate as, say, Rudy Guiliani has been moderate.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #23795
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching some of this hearing. Glad republicans still don't actually ask questions and only grandstand. Hudson from NC just thanked Trump for the great job he is doing considering he wasn't left with any plan from the previous administration. WTF. It is amazing how these elected representatives flat out lie.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #23796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just noted Fox News isn't showing the hearing. Can't have their viewers get educated.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #23797
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Burr steps down as chair.

With all due respect to Nate Silver and Co., any story about the 2020 election that is not about the United States Department of Justice encouraging and covering up foreign interference in the election on behalf of the GOP is not actually a story about the 2020 election.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #23798
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: and for those wondering about how some of us are convinced that Trump will win in 2020, this is my answer at least.

In one week, the DOJ refused to prosecute someone who helped Russia interfere in our elections and took steps to prosecute a sitting Senator who was willing to confirm that Russia tried to interfere in our elections.

Add a 5-4 GOP SCOTUS to that mix, and you've got 4 more years.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #23799
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think we're reacting to the fact that his backers stick with him no matter what he does. Stuff that would be political death to others bounces off of him. I do think people are going a little far in extrapolating what might happen down the road with his offspring, in part because we got burned so badly when Trump won the presidency. At a time where a competent president would have been a really good thing to have, we got a conspiracy theorist who doesn't believe in science.

I'm with panerd here. I think that courtesy extends to Donald Trump and only Donald Trump. His kids don't get nearly the same leeway or have the "mystique" around him that he does.

I fear there will be another demagogue that those same people latch onto but it's not going to be his kids.

Quote:
Right, if Trump wins or loses closely in November (and then Trump claims he was stabbed in the back by the media or something), 2024 is going to have a Trump like GOP candidate (if not Trump himself if he loses this year).

The only way to prevent that is for him to get thumped.

Yeah, see - that's the bigger problem. No matter who wins in 2020, there's going to be someone who tries to channel Trump in 2024 for the GOP. I don't see how they avoid it. It's going to be some crazy white nationalist and protectionist who saw what Trump did as the way to win with an ever shrinking GOP base unless they get totally destroyed in this election. And I don't think that's happening - there are just too many wacky variables in play from non-traditional COVID voting patterns to ever more prevalent voter suppression to Trump's weird political teflon.

Hell, if Trump loses in 2020 and he's alive in 2024, why not Trump again? He'll have spent the last 4 years trying to slam Biden (or whoever) and stay in the spotlight.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #23800
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hawley and Cotton will literally murder people to get their chance at POTUS. Both of them scare me more than Trump because they have a plan and aren't lazy. To some degree, we've been lucky that Trump isn't interested in anything other than ego gratification. We've seen a lot of weaknesses in the system exposed now, so the next would-be autocrat is going to be tremendously dangerous.