Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2022, 11:38 PM   #2351
bhlloy
Coordinator

TO was made with 5 seconds on the play clock, and you either make Vegas take one there or they take a delay of game penalty which for sure is the end of the game. It just made absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

Especially when you then come out of it and the Raiders just run and you let them get 10 yards anyway. I don't see what on earth Staley was trying to do.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:52 PM   #2352
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't remember a scenario in sports where there was so much going on from a game theory perspective.

One thing they didn't bring up on the telecast is that if it was a tie, the Raiders would have to play the Chiefs. A team that absolutely stomped them both times this season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:54 PM   #2353
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
TO was made with 5 seconds on the play clock, and you either make Vegas take one there or they take a delay of game penalty which for sure is the end of the game. It just made absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

Especially when you then come out of it and the Raiders just run and you let them get 10 yards anyway. I don't see what on earth Staley was trying to do.

I don't think it mattered. I think the Raiders would have done a conservative run regardless. They were in shotgun and my guess is it would have been a straight handoff. Blame the Chargers run defense for shitting the bed over and over in OT.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #2354
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Vrabel should (and probably will) win coach of the year for getting the #1 seed with Henry injured for a lot of the year.

But a shout out to Tomlin for making the playoffs with a QB who is past being past his prime. I look at that Steelers team, and I am impressed with how much they overachieved. That's a credit to great coaching.

Awards like coach of the year tend to go to newer coaches and coaches who have never done it before.

But a season like this one shows you the value of old-guard guys like Tomlin, Payton, and Belichick. Whether your QB is too old, too young, or too Trevor Siemian, these guys really do have a floor of about .500.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #2355
Swaggs
Coordinator

I was thinking that maybe the Steelers had done something historical by being 2 games over .500 with a -55 point differential, but the Raiders were -65 this year (and 3 games over .500).

Maybe the dude that took over for Gruden should be Coach of the Year. Between the Gruden stuff and Henry Ruggs incident, that's a pretty amazing achievement.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #2356
Swaggs
Coordinator

Meanwhile, the Broncos and Seahawks finished in last place (both 7-10) with positive differentials.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #2357
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Maybe the dude that took over for Gruden

The fact that we are both pretty big football fans and neither of us can remember his name I think works in his favor :-)

We all had ZERO expectations for that team once Gruden left. And now they are in the playoffs. That's a great coaching job.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:31 AM   #2358
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was wondering if/when the firings were going to happen. Vikings and Bears both fire coaches and GMs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #2359
bronconick
College Starter

And Dolphins fire Flores
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #2360
Ksyrup

I don't follow the Dolphins at all. That's interesting given all of the "trade Tua" stuff. Was he for or against trading him? Wondering if this makes it more or less likely something is going to happen there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #2361
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't follow the Dolphins at all. That's interesting given all of the "trade Tua" stuff. Was he for or against trading him? Wondering if this makes it more or less likely something is going to happen there.

I wonder if he also had some strong pro or con DeShaun Watson thoughts that might have led to this.

I'm interested in what our board Dolphins fans think. I didn't even consider Flores' seat warm, let alone hot, so that's a bit of a shocker.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #2362
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ugh, Flores out and Grier safe, I wanted the exact opposite. Dammit.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #2363
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Wow. It's bad enough that I wasn't sleeping when the Chargers and Raiders kicked off, but by the time I did fall asleep, the Raiders had just taken the 29-14 lead with 8 or 9 minutes to go. I know, any given Sunday, but waking up to read it turned into an overtime game that could indeed have ended up in a tie... This kind of dramatic change of events can happen in very few sports and the NFL is one of them. I mean, it sounds like it was as dramatic as the score line suggests.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-10-2022 at 09:14 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #2364
QuikSand
lolzcat

I missed it too... but the situation of the Chargers with the FG on the board and defending the Raiders from there is the pinnacle of this weird moment.

Raiders TD = Raiders in, Chargers out
Raiders FG = BOTH IN
Raiders stopped = Chargers in, Raiders out

I mean, the notion of the two teams taking a knee 140 times to run out the entire game was whispered and dismissed... but the notion of an imperceptible deal to do the FG doesn't seem completely out of bounds.

The #SteelerNation had to be SWEATING it, right?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:00 AM   #2365
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy have both been sacked.

I'm sure there's much rejoicing in Chicago and laments in Green Bay, Detroit, and Minnesota.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #2366
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy have both been sacked.

I'm sure there's much rejoicing in Chicago and laments in Green Bay, Detroit, and Minnesota.

Let's be fair, I doubt there's many laments, as the Bears haven't proven they know how to hire a GM or a Head Coach in a long, long time.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-10-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #2367
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I'd be perfectly OK with the bears going after Flores. I'm kind of surprised the Dolphins let him go.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #2368
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I wonder if he also had some strong pro or con DeShaun Watson thoughts that might have led to this.

I'm interested in what our board Dolphins fans think. I didn't even consider Flores' seat warm, let alone hot, so that's a bit of a shocker.

I would look at how Flores has handled the offensive coaching staff since he got there. He had three offensive coordinators in three seasons including this year hiring co-coordinators, neither of whom had any experience in the job. That is a lot of change on the offensive side of the ball that still results in the offense the Dolphins put on the field this year. An offense that gone from 28 to 18 and back to 24 in offensive DVOA. I have no clue how the overall offensive talent on the Dolphins is rated around the league. If it is rated highly, it has to do better than it has. I don't think anyone expects Flores to coach up the offense but if he can not get people in who can, then it makes sense for him to go.

I don't think that he should have lost his job mainly because I don't think Tua is the answer. I do understand that if the rest of the organization believes Tua is the answer, it does not make sense to give Flores possibly a fourth chance to hire the right people to get Tua to a Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert level.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #2369
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'd be perfectly OK with the bears going after Flores. I'm kind of surprised the Dolphins let him go.

I think he'd make a great fit there
Old 01-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #2370
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I would look at how Flores has handled the offensive coaching staff since he got there. He had three offensive coordinators in three seasons including this year hiring co-coordinators, neither of whom had any experience in the job. That is a lot of change on the offensive side of the ball that still results in the offense the Dolphins put on the field this year. An offense that gone from 28 to 18 and back to 24 in offensive DVOA. I have no clue how the overall offensive talent on the Dolphins is rated around the league. If it is rated highly, it has to do better than it has. I don't think anyone expects Flores to coach up the offense but if he can not get people in who can, then it makes sense for him to go.

I don't think that he should have lost his job mainly because I don't think Tua is the answer. I do understand that if the rest of the organization believes Tua is the answer, it does not make sense to give Flores possibly a fourth chance to hire the right people to get Tua to a Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert level.

My possibly jaded take (MIA fan, pro-Flo) would be that the fundamental mistake Miami made this year was with their offensive line - they spent a third early draft pick there after two last year (in concept, fine) and basically went all in with the "the young guys will come together" as the OL approach. Didn't even sniff Charles Leno or Mitchell Schwartz or Mike Remmers. All in on the kids.

And after several weeks, the team was circling the toilet with the worst OL in the league, the offense was a trainwreck, and even with a healthy Tua it wasn't getting much done.

They had to scrap most of the playbook and shift gears to a quick-action mostly-RPO gameplan, to take advantage of Tua's strong suits, and also accommodate the miserable Ol play. They did so, and went on a streak of beating a number of mostly bad teams.

This is not a heroic story... but it wasn't Flores who made the decision to go super-young along the OL, it was Grier. He either fell for the "sunk costs" fallacy, or just wanted to bet on himself that his hand-picked guys (two of them major reaches by the draft day consensus) would work out and the line would play well.

The offense was not NFL caliber this season, period. I'd set 60% of the blame in the front office, 20% of it with the coaching staff, and 20% of it on the emerging limitations of the young QB. Apparently the front office believes that they themselves are doing just a bang up job, and have acted accordingly.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #2371
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I've heard both that he is in favor of trading Tua and that he was the one pushing for Watson. His comments during the early season trade talks did nothing to shut down rumors, but that could've been because he knew Ross was pushing for it.

I'm in favor of keeping Tua for another year and spending the cap space on surrounding him with the best possible chance to succeed.

I am not in favor of sacrificing our future for a rapist who might not even be able to play.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #2372
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I've heard both that he is in favor of trading Tua and that he was the one pushing for Watson. His comments during the early season trade talks did nothing to shut down rumors, but that could've been because he knew Ross was pushing for it.

Ross's comment today that they aren't pursuing a Watson trade makes this the likely scenario. Maybe it was the largest part of a wider difference of opinion with the GM, but it's hard to get past a HC who doesn't want your current "franchise" QB and would rather trade for a guy a year out of the league who might be criminally charged and/or suspended at any moment.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #2373
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
And Dolphins fire Flores

Fuck Ross up the ass with a giant rusty, flaking hot poker. Horrible decision.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #2374
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Same.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #2375
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Firing Flores is just absurd if you don't have someone in mind to take over. I mean, it feels like we're going back to a Sparano/Cameron/Philbin/Gase type hire.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #2376
RainMaker
General Manager

So Flores got fired because the GM took the wrong QB in the draft?
Old 01-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #2377
spleen1015
Coordinator

If Flores was any good, the wrong QB would have been the right one!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #2378
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Firing Flores is just absurd if you don't have someone in mind to take over. I mean, it feels like we're going back to a Sparano/Cameron/Philbin/Gase type hire.

Wow, when you just put 'em all in a row like that, you realize just how bad the Dolphins have been at hiring coaches.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #2379
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They were 9-4 in games where Tua played most of the snaps. And he did it with no running game and the worst OL in the league. Still some issues to work out for sure, but I haven't given up on him yet.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #2380
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hope the Giants hire Flores, but they won't because they are dumb.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #2381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gettleman resigned
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #2382
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They were 9-4 in games where Tua played most of the snaps. And he did it with no running game and the worst OL in the league. Still some issues to work out for sure, but I haven't given up on him yet.

Yeah, I'm not seeing him as being the problem there.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #2383
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

With regime changes and uncertainty in Chicago & Minnesota, all we need is that douchebag Rodgers to leave Green Bay and the division could the Lions' for the taking!!

It's time to restore the roar!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #2384
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Tua is going to be a solid NFL quarterback. Well, he will unless the coaching carousel and front office shenanigans ruins him. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #2385
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
With regime changes and uncertainty in Chicago & Minnesota, all we need is that douchebag Rodgers to leave Green Bay and the division could the Lions' for the taking!!

It's time to restore the roar!

Was there a roar before?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #2386
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There was a loud purr at one point. In the 90s.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #2387
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Was there a roar before?

You really don't remember Tobin Rote? Led the Lions to their last championship.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #2388
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Wow, when you just put 'em all in a row like that, you realize just how bad the Dolphins have been at hiring coaches.

yeah, that kinda hurt to read it out in white and black like that
Old 01-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #2389
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good thing they ran off that underperforming Shula in the 90s!
Old 01-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #2390
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if Tua will be good or not but that team wins 11 games with Justin Herbert.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #2391
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They might've won 11 with Tua if he wasn't out for most of 4 games.

Not saying Tua is as good as Herbert, but Herbert would've had to do it without Ekeler and Allen, and while dropping from a good OL to one of the worst.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #2392
RainMaker
General Manager

Maybe I'm not watching enough Chargers but their offensive line looked like trash last night and half their receivers can't get open or catch. Jared Cook was their biggest threat last night in the receiving game.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #2393
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

I was surpised too, i saw one headline this morning suggesting he was on the hotseat, but thought it was click bait and ignored it.

There must be a schism between Flores and Grier, and Ross chose Grier.

Whether that’s over Watson or Tua, or even Tua or Herbert from last year, is an interesting one, as Ross has come out today and stated that he’s not pursuing Watson.

I thought Flores was a good coach, classy and exuded confidence - sad to see him go.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #2394
spleen1015
Coordinator

I saw today that Flores and Grier disagreed on a lot and Grier won. Can't remember where it was. I've looked at a lot fo NFL crap today.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #2395
molson
General Manager

I don't mean to be difficult, but I just want to see the Dolphins hire Matt Nagy
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #2396
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can't imagine Flores will be out of a job for long. I know that odds are that he gets another job in the next couple weeks, but he seems like he would make an amazing college coach.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #2397
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's certainly a strange firing. Owners are usually quite predictable about these things when you look at won/loss records. This is an outlier based on the model I constructed from about a decade of firings.

Next season is the 50th anniversary of the undefeated season (and 49 seasons since their last Super Bowl win). Will they wear special patches?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #2398
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears fans and media not .... thrilled with McCaskey's press conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
What the Bears chairman said in an hour-long press conference should be enough to kill the faith of even the most ardent fan. On the day the team fired general manager Ryan Pace and coach Matt Nagy after a 6-11 season (good), McCaskey announced that unremarkable, apparently unremovable team president and CEO Ted Phillips would retain his title (bad) and that, in an organizational shift, future GMs no longer would report to Phillips but to McCaskey (from very bad to worse).

McCaskey admitted Monday that he’s a football fan, not a football expert, which is somewhere between amazing and criminal. He has worked for the franchise for 30 years. You’d think some knowledge would have seeped in under the door along the way. Whenever the new general manager does feel the need to report to George, it should be a hell of a conversation.

The Bears have hired former NFL general manager Bill Polian, 79, as a consultant in the hiring process for a new general manager and coach. One more time: McCaskey has been in the family business for decades, yet needs help in figuring out who’s who, what’s what and where the men’s room is? The Bears did the same thing in 2015, hiring longtime NFL executive Ernie Accorsi to lead a search that ended with the hiring of Pace and coach John Fox. What’s Curly Lambeau doing these days? And you wonder why my hands want to tear out my hair.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-10-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #2399
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 01-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #2400
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals have shown that they can beat anyone, but they've also shown they can lose to anyone. I'm pretty comfortable with the Raiders matchup, but hope kills.