Old 03-06-2023, 10:14 AM   #24651
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Your future was so bright, Freddie.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #24652
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just saw Shania Twain on Kelly Clarkson's show, my gawd she is absolutely stunning for 57 years old. Beautiful woman.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:34 PM   #24653
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I grew up in a small self-contained incorporated suburb, and we had two families like this. In fairness to them, I don't think that they were involved in high-level shady stuff that I was aware of. But I was around the same age as their kids, and I remember the kids bragging about getting caught with weed or underage drinking or whatever and laughing about how their dad made it go away.
I have watched in three separate counties how growth and a change in demographic erodes the power of those families, but then new corrupt powers take over. There are always people in any political power structure who can find a way to take advantage of the system.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #24654
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have watched in three separate counties how growth and a change in demographic erodes the power of those families, but then new corrupt powers take over. There are always people in any political power structure who can find a way to take advantage of the system.

What's that ancient saying, "Nature abhors a vacuum".

We likely agree on few things of a socio-political nature but your observation here is spot on afaic.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:18 PM   #24655
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to ask an important question to the Sages here at FOFC:

What's a good name for a Trivia team composed of random people?
Old 03-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #24656
cuervo72
Head Coach

Stochastic Trivialists? Random Asses Memory? Strangers on a Team? The Odd Quad? (or however large the team is) All your first names?
Old 03-06-2023, 10:10 PM   #24657
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Randumbs
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #24658
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ah, see there you go. Winner.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #24659
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just saw Shania Twain on Kelly Clarkson's show, my gawd she is absolutely stunning for 57 years old. Beautiful woman.

I can still remember the first time I saw her "Any Man of Mine" video. I was in high school and over at a friends house. His older brother was walking through the living room and we all just stopped and stared for the entire video. Sometimes I miss the days of just hanging out watching music videos.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:49 AM   #24660
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ppiness-study/

The "money can't buy happiness" thing is one of the more successful myths in American history.

We all know that more money makes you happier--certainly up to several hundreds of thousands of dollars per year--you get more leisure. You get better stuff. You don't have to fret over car repairs. You can send your kids to fancy colleges. You get tickets to your favorite shows, etc.

But there's been this pervasive myth of "don't worry if you're poor b/c we aren't any happier than you are" that everyone learns and repeats without any real empirical basis.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-09-2023 at 08:50 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #24661
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I grew up comfortable but once I became an adult my parents didn’t really help me. I was broke many times. Now that I have money I can say %1000 money buys happiness.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #24662
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I grew up comfortable but once I became an adult my parents didn’t really help me. I was broke many times. Now that I have money I can say %1000 money buys happiness.

Right!?

It's like saying that your favorite sports team winning a lot does not make you happier.

Or that low-level nausea does not decrease the quality of your day.

These are things that make no sense on paper AND that we know from experience are objectively untrue.

But the "more money does not make you happier" thing just sticks around.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #24663
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think I read a study that said money can buy happiness up to around earning $70k/year. After that you didn't get really get any happier earning more after that.

This was published at least a decade ago so who knows what the number currently is or if it still holds true.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-09-2023 at 10:40 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #24664
GrantDawg

The statement should be "money doesn't guarantee happiness." There are definitely miserable people who are well off. There is definitely a wealth line that increased the odds of being happy, but money doesn't solve all problems. It can sometimes provide a means, but it can also provide the wrong means.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2023, 10:57 AM   #24665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think I read a study that said money can buy happiness up to around earning $70k/year. After that you didn't get really get any happier earning more after that.

This was published at least a decade ago so who knows what the number currently is or if it still holds true.

No way this is accurate, especially where I live. Obviously happiness is subjective, but I think you should include a household where a parent stays home, ability to vacation, pay for kids activities with no concerns, not worrying about car trouble or medical issues, 2 car household, and probably many others.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #24666
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The link is a study debunking the $75k study (which would need to be inflation-adjusted anyway).
Old 03-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #24667
molson
General Manager

I can see the different dynamics at play that would make that tough to measure. We seem good at replacing stressors that go away with other stressors. And it all gets harder when you have more responsibilities.

I was at least as happy as I am now when I lived in a rooming house with a bathroom down the hall, but, I was also young, healthy, didn't really comprehend or value what I was missing, didn't have or need a car, didn't have a family to worry about, had a much less stressful job, but still a vague hope for the future, etc. Everything was a lot easier. But I also wouldn't voluntarily go back to that. So maybe that's really more about age than money. But would I still be as happy as I was then if I just never changed? I guess at some point it would all set in that that was it and it would suck. I'm sure there's people in their 40's and beyond who can happily continue that way living, but, the odds of that probably decrease as you go.

Last edited by molson : 03-09-2023 at 11:19 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #24668
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #24669
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I played bar trivia for a while against a team calling themselves "They Hate Us Because They Ain't Us" which is fine, I suppose. But when the scorekeeper abbreviated the teams for expedience in a score check or whatever, they became "Ain't Us" which after a few drinks for everyone starts to sound really hilarious.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:48 PM   #24670
molson
General Manager

Having zero problems that money wouldn't solve sounds like a blessed existence at any income or wealth level.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #24671
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think you can have enough problems financially that it disrupts your daily life every day to the point where all other problems seem small to non-existent. You don't have a lot of time or energy to even consider future career choices or your relationship with your sister or the war in Ukraine if you're not sure where your next meal is coming from or how you're going to pay rent in 2 days.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #24672
molson
General Manager

Maybe things like foreign wars, but not things like losing a loved one, depression, family problems, etc. (Which not everybody deals with when they're poor and also young, but are problems that can impact anyone and can't be spent out of).

Last edited by molson : 03-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #24673
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Our team came in second both rounds.

But really all that mattered was that we had a good time...and that we beat the team with my ex on it
Old 03-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #24674
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I can still remember the first time I saw her "Any Man of Mine" video. I was in high school and over at a friends house. His older brother was walking through the living room and we all just stopped and stared for the entire video. Sometimes I miss the days of just hanging out watching music videos.

There was a stretch of time when I considered Shania to be the hottest woman on the planet.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #24675
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to agree to disagree here.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #24676
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
There was a stretch of time when I considered Shania to be the hottest woman on the planet.
She really buttered my chaps.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #24677
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
She really buttered my chaps.

that's not where buttert goes
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #24678
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Your future was so bright, Freddie.

What in the world happened here? Injuries?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #24679
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yesterday was my 10 year anniversary of quitting soda. Go me!

Last edited by Kodos : 03-09-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:11 PM   #24680
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What in the world happened here? Injuries?

Freddie didn't like to go to class too much. I was just fast simming/testing and by the time it was his senior season he was like #3 in the depth chart to the AI. Sitting two years and barely playing his bars never even filled out.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:58 AM   #24681
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yesterday was my 10 year anniversary of quitting soda. Go me!

Congrats. I'm sure there were other life changes you made (?) in the past 10 years but is there any improvements you can attribute to no more sodas?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #24682
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What is Coke Zero Move supposed to taste like? Kinda gives me jelly beans vibes.

I just got a case of the small cans. Tastes like coconut to me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:04 PM   #24683
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Congrats. I'm sure there were other life changes you made (?) in the past 10 years but is there any improvements you can attribute to no more sodas?

I'd say I'm definitely lighter than I'd be if I'd kept drinking Cherry Coke. A lot of confounding factors over that period, as I also became a vegetarian and starting running and then later riding the Peloton in that same period. My teeth are probably in better shape as well.

In short, I'm healthier and stronger at 52 than I was at 42.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-10-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #24684
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd say I'm definitely lighter than I'd be if I'd kept drinking Cherry Coke. A lot of confounding factors over that period, as I also became a vegetarian and starting running and then later riding the Peloton in that same period. My teeth are probably in better shape as well.

Thanks. My dentist tells me the same about soft drinks and my teeth ... "brush after you drink one"
Old 03-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #24685
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Coke Zero Move is horrible.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:55 PM   #24686
Edward64
Head Coach

Who would've thought pickleball is causing some consternation in neighborhoolds.

We looked at a house close next by the tennis courts in our subdivision. There were tall shrubs but we nixed it pretty quick. Not just the noise but the traffic.

Pickleball is America's fastest-growing sport. These people hate it | CNN Business
Quote:
Pickleball can be noisier than tennis because the game can fit more players onto the same space as a tennis court. Hits during a pickleball rally are also more frequent than tennis. And it’s a more social sport, so the games tend to be louder with players bantering during and after points.

Rob Mastroianni, a resident of Falmouth, Massachusetts, sold his house and moved after the town’s recreation department built pickleball courts 350 feet away from his home in a residential area.

“It’s a percussive pop. It pierces the air and carries,” he said.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #24687
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

My wife's father plays a lot of pickleball. Great exercise for seniors because you don't have a lot of ground to cover and it is more social.

So we've tried it - both my wife and I played a lot of tennis growing up, and she still plays in an adult league. The noise issue is a real one. Many clubs require that you have a paddle that is rated as a low-noise paddle - less "pop" when it hits a ball. I don't think it's a huge difference, though.

The pop really carries and that's why they get complaints. Probably similar to hitting a tennis ball against a garage door in some ways.

I had hopes that we could mark out a court on our driveway, because the space in front of the garage doors is in back of the house and a perfect size. But I think it could bother the neighbors.

If you are "converting" from tennis and learned to play before tennis rackets became the size of trampolines, it is a huge adjustment going up to the net and not breaking the volleying rules.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:21 AM   #24688
miami_fan
Coordinator

While knocking the crap out of my wooden desk, I can say I have never lived anywhere with a noise issue. Not that I have never lived places where there has been a lot of noise in the area. It just has never been bad enough that I would say I can't live here due to the noise. The closest would probably be living on the 1st floor of an apartment building with a family that had three children under five living right above me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:53 AM   #24689
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why has no one ever told me that you can put bacon on a philly cheese-steak?
Old 03-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #24690
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Why has no one ever told me that you can put bacon on a philly cheese-steak?

I told you this twice, you weren't listening.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:04 PM   #24691
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have an 25+ year old Yahoo (formerly Geocities) address that is inundated with spam. Every month or so I go in and check the 1000+ spam messages to see if some non-spam ended up there. The easiest way to do this is sort by "subject" - that way the 20ish "YOU JUST WON A NEW IPHONE" messages are all grouped together for easy deletion.

Is it sad that the most appealing one this month was the pile of "Get the knees of a 20 year old without surgery or injections"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #24692
GrantDawg

I can give you the knees of a twenty year old. Anyone interested in the rest of the body?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2023, 12:21 PM   #24693
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I rented a place inside the city limits of a small town. The owner of a small time TQ Midget and Demolition Derby (and who the heck knows what else) team bought the place three doors down and across the street. He promptly put up giant fences and operated a race team out of a home on a city street. It was a nightmare. This was a long time ago but I still remember sitting in my living room with the windows and doors close and not even being able to hear my TV.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-12-2023 at 12:22 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #24694
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

We live 1/2 mile from pickleball courts and can hear the ball slaps during the summer evenings.

We also live about a mile from the zoo and can hear the monkeys freak the fuck out every morning even though we're separated by an interstate at the midway point.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:25 AM   #24695
Edward64
Head Coach

If true, this would be great. I do have hearing loss from a busted eardrum years back.

What would be absolutely better is airpod help drown out tinnitus + help hearing. Assuming I could wear it comfortably all day, this would be a game changer for me.

I am already grateful for the active noise cancellation that my airpods pro 2 provides when travelling on flights.

Apple's AirPods might one day help you hear better | Mashable
Quote:
Apple's AirPods might one day help you hear better
:
Apple's AirPods might one day become much more than just a way to listen to your favorite tune while drowning out the noise in a Starbucks.

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter (via MacRumors(Opens in a new tab)), Apple expert Mark Gurman claims Apple is looking into turning AirPods into a health tool "in the next year or two."

The AirPods could then have "the ability to get hearing data of some sort," said Gurman.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:40 AM   #24696
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This is my standard day working from home.

Dog pushing my leg:
Me: wanna go outside?
Dog: no

Dog pushing my leg:
5 minutes later

Dog pushing my leg:
5 minutes later

Dog pushing my leg:
5 minutes later
Dog: LET ME OUTSIDE

2 minutes later
Dog: LET ME IN

Repeat

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 03-15-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 PM   #24697
Ksyrup

I can't stop watching this.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-18-2023, 02:55 AM   #24698
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can't stop watching this.

lolololol me too
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:56 PM   #24699
Ksyrup

I don't know why I hate commercials so much, but...

I have to imagine KFC hired the same creative team for their new Double Down commercial that Hormel used for their chili cheese dip commercial. Because multiple people could not come up with such similar stupid/annoying ideas on their own.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #24700
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't know why I hate commercials so much, but...

I have to imagine KFC hired the same creative team for their new Double Down commercial that Hormel used for their chili cheese dip commercial. Because multiple people could not come up with such similar stupid/annoying ideas on their own.

The only time I ever watch commercials is during sport events and I mute the TV immediately. I have zero patience for commercials. None.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote