Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #201
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My favorites were the ones on betting and tobacco.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #202
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I wanted to know also so I did a quick search. I was not able to find a complete list of players that supposedly received payments/cars etc. Not sure I understand why this is not public info?

Craig James should get the benefit of doubt but it would not surprise me if James was one of those that did get extra benefits in the early 80s.
The full list was never released. Many of the player names were kept confidential. But as CU Tigers mentioned, the SMU case was so bad because they were literally paying their players like employees. Just giving them a set amount of money on a weekly basis. It wasn't a few individual cases but a system that was in place. They also completely lied about it to the NCAA which pissed them off more.

No one knows for sure if James was involved although it did seem to be a team thing. Being a star on the team I'm sure there were times when he was approached about it. I find it hard to believe this was all going on with all these players and he was oblivious to it.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4792320

Granted, this is reported from ESPN, so there's every reason to be suspicious of bias, especially when they mention a number of players unwilling to go on the record with their criticisms of Leach.

As well, the Senior quoted also admits he has not seen eye to eye with Leach in the past.

All that said, I think there's enough evidence to think that there are no innocent parties in all of this - Tech administration and boosters were clearly fed up with Leach and looking for a way out; Leach clearly had had enough of Tech, and perhaps had let that affect his relationship with his players; James and his family clearly seem to have blown out of proportion the "isolation" incidents; ESPN clearly has allowed their relationship with Craig James to color their reporting of the story.

Cool, thanks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #204
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Your trainer and team doctor disputed that in sworn affadavits.

They both did 180's as they also said different in depo's to Leach's Lawyers to.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #205
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Texas Tech players describe a different side of fired coach Mike Leach - ESPN Dallas

Granted, this is reported from ESPN, so there's every reason to be suspicious of bias, especially when they mention a number of players unwilling to go on the record with their criticisms of Leach.

As well, the Senior quoted also admits he has not seen eye to eye with Leach in the past.

All that said, I think there's enough evidence to think that there are no innocent parties in all of this - Tech administration and boosters were clearly fed up with Leach and looking for a way out; Leach clearly had had enough of Tech, and perhaps had let that affect his relationship with his players; James and his family clearly seem to have blown out of proportion the "isolation" incidents; ESPN clearly has allowed their relationship with Craig James to color their reporting of the story.
Caplan is not an ESPN goon. He's a local reporter who has covered the beat in Dallas/Fort-Worth for a long time.

I don't know why any of that is surprising. There have been small stories that have leaked out such as the Edward Britton one and the fat girlfriends one. The guy had an ego and a different way of approaching his players. Probably rubbed a few the wrong way. I just think it's funny that everyone think Adam James was the sole reason that this guy got fired as if he has that kind of power with the school.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #206
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Caplan is not an ESPN goon. He's a local reporter who has covered the beat in Dallas/Fort-Worth for a long time.

I don't know why any of that is surprising. There have been small stories that have leaked out such as the Edward Britton one and the fat girlfriends one. The guy had an ego and a different way of approaching his players. Probably rubbed a few the wrong way. I just think it's funny that everyone think Adam James was the sole reason that this guy got fired as if he has that kind of power with the school.

Everyone? I'm not sure there is even an Anyone, much less everyone. Most here seem to agree that the Leach firing was primarily motivated by issues between Leach and the administration, with the James thing just a reason for the school to do it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #207
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
They both did 180's as they also said different in depo's to Leach's Lawyers to.
No they didn't. They never stated that it was their idea to put him in the shed for medical reasons. I'm refuting TexasT's statement that he was put in their on doctor's advice. Neither statement says that and the sworn affadavit given first stated that they both felt it was inappropriate and served no medical purpose.

These statements are all online so either TexasT isn't following the news or can't read.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #208
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Everyone? I'm not sure there is even an Anyone, much less everyone. Most here seem to agree that the Leach firing was primarily motivated by issues between Leach and the administration, with the James thing just a reason for the school to do it.
I'm sure money played a role. I do think his ego though was a factor and it went beyond the Adam James incident (although that may be an excuse). There have been a lot of odd stories involving his treatment of players over the year and perhaps there were a lot of players who just didn't like the guy (as we've seen from recent articles with comments from players on the team).
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #209
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No one knows for sure if James was involved although it did seem to be a team thing. Being a star on the team I'm sure there were times when he was approached about it. I find it hard to believe this was all going on with all these players and he was oblivious to it.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if James were involved. But there's a difference between speculating he was involved vs. stating that he was involved as though it were a fact.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #210
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I love how Craig James, who was one of the reasons that SMU got the death penalty, is all up in a coaches ass about his kid not being played. My dislike for him allows me to be anything but fair to either party in this situation.

Use your other reasons to hate James (there are several) but he was not part of the cheating scandal. He wasn't even going to SMU until his girlfriend decided to go. He followed her.

Maybe I would have a bit more info than others. I was there.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #211
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Right because I'm the only one in this thread that believes those outrageous accusation

Quote:
He wasn't even going to SMU until his girlfriend decided to go. He followed her.

So Craig James went to SMU because of his girlfriend and that makes him not apart of the cheating how?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-03-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #212
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

There is a subtle but important distinction between saying it's likely that James was part of that scandal due to circumstantial evidence vs. acting as though it were a fact that he was part of the cheating scandal.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #213
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:
No they didn't. They never stated that it was their idea to put him in the shed for medical reasons. I'm refuting TexasT's statement that he was put in their on doctor's advice. Neither statement says that and the sworn affadavit given first stated that they both felt it was inappropriate and served no medical purpose.

These statements are all online so either TexasT isn't following the news or can't read.

I never said the doctor told them to put him in a shed. What I said was the medical advice was to keep him out of bright light and in a cool place. Are you related to Craig James?
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #214
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
I never said the doctor told them to put him in a shed. What I said was the medical advice was to keep him out of bright light and in a cool place. Are you related to Craig James?
You insinuated that this was just the doctor's choice. That the doctors didn't think it was a fucked up move.

Anyways, don't worry. You guys will find another coach who can take you to shitty bowl games every year.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #215
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
You insinuated that this was just the doctor's choice. That the doctors didn't think it was a fucked up move.

Anyways, don't worry. You guys will find another coach who can take you to shitty bowl games every year.

C'mon Craig, why so bitter? You won and all.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes Craig and you can watch those games on TV with your precious offspring from the safety & comfort of his apartment in your basement.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #217
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

So Craig James went to SMU because of his girlfriend and that makes him not apart of the cheating how?

Because nobody would admit to being led around by his dick like that when he had the out of claiming he was offered sweet, sweet cash to play for SMU?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #218
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
C'mon Craig, why so bitter? You won and all.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #219
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Its legal for schools to provide recruits with female 'hostesses' to 'show them around campus' as long as it happens on campus. Its only when they go off campus to provide recruits with sex that a recruiting violation occurs.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #220
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
I was there.

there we go, end of discussion! forget proving anything, just say you were there and that is that
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #221
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Its legal for schools to provide recruits with female 'hostesses' to 'show them around campus' as long as it happens on campus. Its only when they go off campus to provide recruits with sex that a recruiting violation occurs.

Is it legal for school to pay their players while they are in school because this is what the argument is about, not on whether he got sexual favors on or off campus for female hostesses?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #222
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

the tobacco one was so lame. i dreaded that class (the NCAA mandated one) because you were ineligible if you failed (was pass/fail and if you missed 3+ classes you auto-failed) and it was only available at 8am of course...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #223
Kodos
Resident Alien

Guys over on the Indiana boards at Scout are clamoring for us to hire Leach. I've kinda had enough of the Bobby Knight types myself.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #224
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm out in the Bay Area this week for training, and just heard a rumor that Al Davis is going to bring in Leach for an interview.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #225
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm out in the Bay Area this week for training, and just heard a rumor that Al Davis is going to bring in Leach for an interview.

Somehow that wouldn't shock me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #226
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
It makes sense. With all the speed they draft on offense, why not run a spread. Of course, they need better WR and a good QB. But better than running the 3 and out offense.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wait'll the Raiders draft Tebow
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #228
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

LOL YES!
Tobacco ruins lives...stay away from this dangerous killer.

He he
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #229
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wait'll the Raiders draft Tebow

I actually fully expect the Raiders to draft Jacoby Ford....I mean sure he is only 6'0 on a good day, but he would probably be the fastest (or 2nd fastest) player Davis ever drafted and you know he loves him some speed
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #230
sooner333
College Starter

Would Al Davis, an owner who recently had a press conference to fire a coach "for cause" due to insubordination, hire a coach who was just fired "for cause" due to insubordination?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #231
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Would Al Davis, an owner who recently had a press conference to fire a coach "for cause" due to insubordination, hire a coach who was just fired "for cause" due to insubordination?

You're assuming he remembers that he did that.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #232
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It would make total sense because a Raider is a form of a pirate.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #233
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Dan Patrick was talking this morning about how he heard a rumor that the Raiders are going to make a play for Leach. Dan didn't know what coaching position they might hire him for though.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #234
RainMaker
General Manager

I hope they hire him as OC. That system won't work in the NFL but it could fool some teams for a season and make things interesting in Oakland (ala Gary Crowton with the Bears). Problem is that I think you need a somewhat intelligent QB to run it and Russell doesn't fit the bill.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #235
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is there an NFL QB (even among the sucky ones) less suited to the spread offense than Russell? It seems designed to maximize his weaknesses and minimize his strengths.

Al Davis likes old guys. Maybe Warren Moon can be talked into coming out of retirement.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #236
flounder
High School Varsity

I'm way out of my depth here, but I thought that one of the strengths of the Air Raid offense is that it's simple to teach. There are only a few basic plays, but by lining receivers up in different spots you can add complexity. The receivers only have to learn a few routes. At the start of the play, they just get told where to line up.

It seems like that is a great idea in college where there is limited practice time, but not so much in the pros. Pros have the time to install a complicated offense already.

Last edited by flounder : 01-05-2010 at 10:14 AM.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #237
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I'm way out of my depth here, but I thought that one of the strengths of the Air Raid offense is that it's simple to teach. There are only a few basic plays, but by lining receivers up in different spots you can add complexity. The receivers only have to learn a few routes. At the start of the play, they just get told where to line up.

Not really. The playbook is small, but so much is based on the quarterback making right decisions. The QB is basically given free reign to audible at all times based on the way the defense is lined up. I would say that smarts is way more important than being able to make the throws.

Russell would be an unmitigated disaster in the Air Raid.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #238
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not really. The playbook is small, but so much is based on the quarterback making right decisions. The QB is basically given free reign to audible at all times based on the way the defense is lined up. I would say that smarts is way more important than being able to make the throws.

Aside from the spread part, isn't this the Colts' offense?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #239
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Aside from the spread part, isn't this the Colts' offense?

Well, the audible part is, but the offense is simpler in the sense that there are fewer plays.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #240
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Exactly, so much is based on the QB and receivers being on the same page as each route has 3-4 sight adjustments based on coverages and pressure. It is easy to learn, but hard to perfect.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #241
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, here's what we want out of this. Raiders hire Leach to run his offense, that's a no brainer. Then he has to go on a Spurrier-like rant about how he just needs any old guy who knows how to run his system.. and I'm thinking they pluck Kliff Kingsbury out of thin air and make him the starter. Or maybe the guy before him or after him, whatever. This has me as excited as just about anything I have heard in a football offseason in a good while. I want this.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #242
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Ok, here's what we want out of this. Raiders hire Leach to run his offense, that's a no brainer. Then he has to go on a Spurrier-like rant about how he just needs any old guy who knows how to run his system.. and I'm thinking they pluck Kliff Kingsbury out of thin air and make him the starter. Or maybe the guy before him or after him, whatever. This has me as excited as just about anything I have heard in a football offseason in a good while. I want this.
This would be fun.

I'd also love to see a team say "fuck it" and try the spread option offense and bring in guys like Tebow, Pat White and Dennis Dixon to run it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #243
sooner333
College Starter

Another issue would be that if they keep Cable, but hire Leach as OC to call plays, then how will Cable, as an OL guy handle Leach's wide OL splits. I mean, it's pretty radical--especially in the NFL.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #244
NewIdentity
High School JV

I would love to see Leach as the Head coach for the Raiders next year. This may be the solution to finally get the Raiders turned around.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #245
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's also largely based on accuracy over arm strength, the exact opposite of Russell's game.

Not that it matters since they'll need 3-4 QBs due to all the injuries they'll have running it.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #246
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Zach Thomas is pissed:

Quote:
Zach Thomas wants to end association with Texas Tech
Posted: Jan 08, 2010 8:20 PM EST

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A former Texas Tech football player wants to end his association with Texas Tech.

A representative for Zach Thomas, who spent 13 seasons in the NFL as a linebacker, says he wants to end his relationship with Tech including all commercials associated with the university. He also does not want Tech to use his likeness in any way.

Thomas is said to be unhappy about the firing of Mike Leach.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #247
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it looks like Tuberville is the new Texas Tech coach:

Source: Tommy Tuberville will be next Texas Tech Red Raiders coach - ESPN

Quote:
Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville will be named the next football coach at Texas Tech, a source close to the search told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel.

A news conference is set for Sunday at 3 p.m. ET in Lubbock, Texas. Tuberville's family is flying to Lubbock Saturday night, according to the source.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #248
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And it looks like Tuberville is the new Texas Tech coach:

Source: Tommy Tuberville will be next Texas Tech Red Raiders coach - ESPN

Ha ha, they are going to miss Leach pretty soon.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #249
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Ha ha, they are going to miss Leach pretty soon.

Given the firing, I think its about the best TT could hope for.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #250
TexasT
Mascot

Given the quick hire, seems they already had the guy in place for some time.