Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #201
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Perhaps it's because they won?

Belicheck usually only looks that happy in championship games.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #202
Schmidty
Coordinator

For Lions fans: Joey was terrible yet again today, yet the Lions won. Should he get another free pass from Mooch? I really hope they aren't satisfied with him, nor do I hope that they are waiting patiently for Garcia to get better and save the day in a few weeks. I truly feel that they should start giving Orlovsky more time with the 1st team offense during practice and begin to consider him as the eventual starter. He has something Joey has never had: Balls.

Last edited by Schmidty : 10-09-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #203
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Why do teams run on 2nd down & 1? Go for the deep ball and save the run for 3rd down if it doesn't work!

Because that only works a few times a year. You can't just do that over and over and over again. Teams will catch on and start blitzing you and covering you deep. Your best bet is to take the first down most of the time and save the bombs for a couple of special occasions during the year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #204
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Yes it would. I'd be happy to compete in any such contest. If you would like my credentials, simply ask.
I'm sure I'd fall to your superior grammar and syntax, oh genius. Besides, I always tested lower in verbal skills than mathematical.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #205
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
For Lions fans: Joey was terrible yet again today, yet the Lions won. Should he get another free pass from Mooch? I really hope they aren't satisfied with him, nor do I hope that they are waiting patiently for Garcia to get better and save the day in a few weeks. I truly feel that they should start giving Orlovsky more time with the 1st team offense during practice and begin to consider him as the eventual starter. He has something Joey has never had: Balls.

Is Orlovsky the guy that played for Huskies of Yukon? I liked his game in college ... not sure how well it would translate to the nfl.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #206
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree, give Orlovsky more reps with the first team so he can be ready for a chance to come in. We can't risk it considering we're in first now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #207
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Is Orlovsky the guy that played for Huskies of Yukon? I liked his game in college ... not sure how well it would translate to the nfl.

Indeed.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #208
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
There's a highlight we'll see over and over tonight. Daniel Graham on an amazing catch and run immediately after the announcers point out New England TEs have just one touchdown this season.

I dropped Daniel Graham in my Yahoo league this past week
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #209
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Indeed.

Bret Basanez of Northwestern reminds me of him. Not the best arm in the world, but cooler than James Dean. Definitely the kind of guy you want making decisions on the field. Sort of the opposite of Joey Harrington.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #210
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

How 'bout them Cowboys!

Cowboys 14-0.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #211
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I'm sure I'd fall to your superior grammar and syntax, oh genius. Besides, I always tested lower in verbal skills than mathematical.

Meh, I'm not perfect by any means. I'm sure you'd kill me in mathematics.

I majored in English and was Lead English Tutor (in the Learning Center) for 8 years at Kalamazoo College (1993-2001) before moving to Grand Rapids, so I get a little defensive when my grammar and such gets critiqued on the internet. That probably shows a deep-seated insecurity of mine to the world. Oh well.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #212
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Anyone else having trouble connection to NFL.com?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #213
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Bret Basanez of Northwestern reminds me of him. Not the best arm in the world, but cooler than James Dean. Definitely the kind of guy you want making decisions on the field. Sort of the opposite of Joey Harrington.

Exactly. Orlovsky seems to actually want it. Joey just seems to be along for the ride.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #214
st.cronin
General Manager

Terry Glenn is on a pace for 40 catches and 752 yards.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #215
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Terry Glenn is on a pace for 40 catches and 752 yards.

That'd be quite a game.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #216
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Edgerrin James fumbles on the goal line..being reviewed....
Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #217
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Dungy needs to challenge the call in the Indy game. There are two possible good outcomes: Either it's a touchdown for E.James of the 49er guy could have also recovered the ball outside the goal line and brought it back into the endzone - which would be a safety. So it's better than the usua challenge becasue there are two ways to win it.

edit: good, he is challengeing it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 10-09-2005 at 03:46 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #218
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

It's gonna be a TD...
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #219
st.cronin
General Manager

The Eagles are NOT going to win today. The Boys are just beating up on them at every matchup.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #220
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Meh, I'm not perfect by any means. I'm sure you'd kill me in mathematics.

I majored in English and was Lead English Tutor (in the Learning Center) for 8 years at Kalamazoo College (1993-2001) before moving to Grand Rapids, so I get a little defensive when my grammar and such gets critiqued on the internet. That probably shows a deep-seated insecurity of mine to the world. Oh well.

Schmidty, you don't challenge SkyDog on a day when the Atlanta Vickons loses.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #221
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
It's gonna be a TD...

nope. horrible call by the refs. HORRIBLE. There really is obvious video evidence showing him hitting the goal line with the ball.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #222
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Or we are going to try to keep the score closer so maybe a story could be made out of Alex Smith's first NFL start... Gotta love the NFL.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #223
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer

My bad. I can sympathize since I'm a Lion fan.

I should have been nicer; after all, it's not as if he's a Wolverine fan.

Last edited by Schmidty : 10-09-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #224
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Or we are going to try to keep the score closer so maybe a story could be made out of Alex Smith's first NFL start... Gotta love the NFL.

Yea, terrible call, but I'm sure they wouldn't send an all-star crew to a game that was already over when the schedule was made.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #225
Desnudo
Coordinator

Reading the recap doesn't excite me about the Pats' chances against Indy.

"Atlanta (3-2) tied the game at 28 when Schaub threw a 14-yard scoring pass to Dez White with 3:52 remaining, then went to Brian Finneran for a 2-point conversion."

I mean, if the Pats' nobodies can't stop their nobodies, they're in trouble once they play somebody.

Last edited by Desnudo : 10-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #226
TroyF
Coordinator

Plummer hits Lelie for a 5 yard TD. So far, neither defense can stop the two offenses. the Washington fumble really cost them. Star of the game thus far has been Tatum Bell. 4 carries, 50 yards, 1TD. QB's are a combined 15-19 for 152 and 2 TD in freezing rain.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #227
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Alex Smith, I am sorry to inform you that this isn't the Colts' defense of years past...
Old 10-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Alex Smith, I am sorry to inform you that this isn't the Colts' defense of years past...

Alex would probably struggle and make a few misreads against the worst defense in the league. His first start, tough defense, it's not going to end pretty.

That said, what a great little run by Gore.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #229
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Just keep playing Smith this season, and the Niners can get Reggie Bush or some help on the offensive line...or defensive line..or secondary...basically anything.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #230
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

"You must make a football move"

I think this is veering close to overused territory
Old 10-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #231
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Just keep playing Smith this season, and the Niners can get Reggie Bush or some help on the offensive line...or defensive line..or secondary...basically anything.
The growing pains suck, but it is the only way he will get better. I remember watching Manning struggle, but the game expierence excellerated his development.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #232
st.cronin
General Manager

What the hell is wrong with Philly today? The way they're playing, they'd have trouble beating USC.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #233
TroyF
Coordinator

This just in. . . Boldin and Fitzgerald are damned good WR. It's only a matter of time before the Cardinals become respectable.

Yes, I realize what I just wrote.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #234
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
This just in. . . Boldin and Fitzgerald are damned good WR. It's only a matter of time before the Cardinals become respectable.

Yes, I realize what I just wrote.

Yep, because good WRs make a team respectable. Just tell that to Detroit.....
Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #235
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't watched much Lions football, but does anyone believe that their WR's are anything more than talented at this point, rather than proven commodities? Or is it all Joey "97 passing yards" Harrington's fault?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The growing pains suck, but it is the only way he will get better. I remember watching Manning struggle, but the game expierence excellerated his development.

Just like it did for David Carr right?

Sorry. All week long I have heard the comparison to Peyton while a complete ignorance of the other QBs who were thrown in early and failed.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #237
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure what the point is. He's going to struggle, most QB's do whether they turn out good or bad. The ones who don't generally have a good supporting cast. So why argue about it during his 1st game?

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-09-2005 at 04:31 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #238
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Just like it did for David Carr right?

Sorry. All week long I have heard the comparison to Peyton while a complete ignorance of the other QBs who were thrown in early and failed.
Well Carr has that whole wet paper towel for an offensive line thing.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #239
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep, because good WRs make a team respectable. Just tell that to Detroit.....

Big difference. . . the Cardinal receivers are making plays. Plays all over the field.

One of em already has a 100 catch season under his belt. the other had a solid rookie year and is on his wasy to 100 this year. The Lions have one guy who had a solid rookie year, 1 guy who hasn't been healthy for more than 3 consecutive games in his career and a rookie who is getting about 1 catch a game.

If the Detroit guys develop, they'll eventually be good. That much talent at the skill positions will keep you in games. I think the Cardinals two are just about there right now.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #240
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm just about ready to give up on Carr, even with the offensive line. He's just not making good decisions, even when he has time. By now, we should see some "slivers" of greatness. With Carr that seems to be missing.

We can get into the "how do we develop a great QB" debate all day. There have been cases where guys have succeeded each way. There have been cases where guys have busted each way. Depends on the player, depends on the situation.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #241
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I'm just about ready to give up on Carr, even with the offensive line. He's just not making good decisions, even when he has time. By now, we should see some "slivers" of greatness. With Carr that seems to be missing.

We can get into the "how do we develop a great QB" debate all day. There have been cases where guys have succeeded each way. There have been cases where guys have busted each way. Depends on the player, depends on the situation.

Carr will get at least one more season due to the pending coaching change

BTW The Cowboys is absolutely torching the Eagles
Old 10-09-2005, 04:46 PM   #242
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Carr will get at least one more season due to the pending coaching change

BTW The Cowboys is absolutely torching the Eagles

Oh, he'll probably get two more chances. Once with a coaching change, once with a different team. His size, strength, arm, toughness. . . they'll all impress a coach or two to give him a shot. I'm just not sure he'll ever succeed. But it's better than Harrington, who we know isn't going to succeed at this point.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #243
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
OK. You're the new coach in Houston. You have the #1 overall pick. Do you take Leinart or start the bidding war?

I think you start the bidding war. Not because I am convinced that Carr is the answer but because I know I need an O-line, Defensive front changes if I am not going with the 3-4, etc.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #244
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
OK. You're the new coach in Houston. You have the #1 overall pick. Do you take Leinart or start the bidding war?

Bidding war. they have serious o-line issues, and really need to adress that first. If you can trade down for 2 1st rounders, you spend them both on lineman.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #245
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Start the bidding war. Depending on who comes out early, there's quite a few QBs likely coming out of college that I think *could* be good. Leinart is obviously the best, but if you want a QB there's also Young, Shockley, Croyle, the Vanderbilt kid, potentially Quinn, etc. Obviously Leinart will be the class of the QBs, but he's by no means a sure thing.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #246
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

It all depends on how me and my scouts rate Leinhart. If he's truly rated as high as Manning was (and that happens about once a decade), you can't pass him up. You make a trade, but it's one that involves Carr, not the #1 pick.

If you have questions about Leinhart or my scouts think he's a very good, but not great QB, you deal the pick.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #247
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
This loss doesn't bother me one bit, fyi.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #248
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Who was considered the better prospect in college, Leinart or Palmer?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #249
sabotai
General Manager

Houston has problems that drafting Leinhart won't solve. Trade down, get a few good picks and start plugging holes.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #250
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
This loss doesn't bother me one bit, fyi.

I know what you mean. I don't mind when they lose either.