Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He never used him that way. He's been the standard 1 inning per appearance, 65 games reliever.

2006 - 59 games/68 innings
2007 - 59/58
2008 - 67/69
2009 - 66/68
2010 - 65/67
2011 - 63/64

I think if you try upping him to 80 or so innings the first year or two of a 4-year deal at age 31ish, you're asking for trouble.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #202
RedKingGold
College Starter

In Amaro I trust.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #203
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
He never used him that way. He's been the standard 1 inning per appearance, 65 games reliever.

2006 - 59 games/68 innings
2007 - 59/58
2008 - 67/69
2009 - 66/68
2010 - 65/67
2011 - 63/64

I think if you try upping him to 80 or so innings the first year or two of a 4-year deal at age 31ish, you're asking for trouble.

I do seem to remember him pitching in some 8th inning tie games in 3-4 years ago.....perhaps not often enough to have any real impact.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #204
Atocep
Coordinator

The Phillies gave up a first round pick and $50 million over 4 years for an extreme flyball reliever that just had a season with an unsustainable homerun rate?

This could get ugly.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #205
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Phillies gave up a first round pick and $50 million over 4 years for an extreme flyball reliever that just had a season with an unsustainable homerun rate?

This could get ugly.

I see you read Keith Law. ; )

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #206
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really don't like the pick compensation system.

Resign Madson-no change in picks
Let Madson walk and sign Papelbon--possibly get better first round pick(depending on who signs Madson) and pick up free sandwich pick.

Signing Reyes for Rollins most likely results in the Phillies giving up their 2nd rounder and getting a first and sandwich pick

Yeah, it could potentially backfire if one of the guys takes arb.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #207
Butter
Coordinator

Mike Matheny as head coach of the Cards? Wondering our local Cards fans' reactions to this hire?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #208
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Mike Matheny as head coach of the Cards? Wondering our local Cards fans' reactions to this hire?

Must have had a great interview. Beating out Oquendo, Francona, and Sandberg is no small feat.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #209
markprior22
High School Varsity

Seeing the success of other catchers as managers, along with Matheny's supposed leadership skills makes me think it might be a good hire for STL.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #210
Ksyrup

As long as the infrastructure remains (is Duncan coming back?), I think it may be a smart hire that allows him to learn on the job with a bunch of guys surrounding him that know what they're doing. Seems obvious that they hired him because he's smart, knows the Cardinals, and is good with these guys and in general with personalities. The strategy stuff will be a work in progress.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-14-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #211
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My prediction is that Matheny will be a much better manager if Pujols is re-signed.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #212
Ksyrup

That is undeniably true. He could be a genius, in fact.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

A bit of a bizarre hire I think. Going from such an experienced manager to one that has none at all. I wonder if LaRussa recommended him for the job because I would have thought Francona would have been the logical pick if you are going for an experienced manager. But certainly has experience with the Cardinals system and players so we shall see.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #214
Ksyrup

Might be totally unfair, but my first thought when I think Francona and Cardinals is alcohol. Cards have had issues with it in the past, and Francona just left a team whose players were drinking in the clubhouse during games. I don't know if it would have been a real problem, but certainly the perception wouldn't have helped.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #215
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Might be totally unfair, but my first thought when I think Francona and Cardinals is alcohol. Cards have had issues with it in the past, and Francona just left a team whose players were drinking in the clubhouse during games. I don't know if it would have been a real problem, but certainly the perception wouldn't have helped.

yeah I hadn't thought about that-being its such recent history, it could have an effect on his hiring potential for a while at least.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #216
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Dodgers about to lock Kemp up, 8 years at 20M per.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #217
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Dodgers about to lock Kemp up, 8 years at 20M per.

That's a lot of money for a guy who's good, but coming off a career year. I guess there really isn't much choice, but if he's the @3WAR guy he's averaged before last year that money will look really bad when he's in his mid-thirties.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #219
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kimbrel NL ROY (wow- that field was not one of the better ones)
Hellickson AL ROY

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #221
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
What was wrong with the NL ROY field? Granted, Freeman's atrocious defense killed his WAR, but if the voters cared about advanced stats at all you had a 3.5 WAR 2B (Danny Espinosa, 4th overall NL 2B) and a 3.1 WAR C (Wilson Ramos, 6th overall NL C) to choose from. You can also throw Darwin Barney in there as a 2B with a 2.2 WAR.

Among pitchers, you had Kimbrel with a 3.2 WAR as a closer, Brandon Beachy with a 2.8 WAR as a starter, Vance Worley with a 2.5 WAR as a starter, Cory Luebke with a 2.4 WAR as both starter (17) and reliever (29), and Josh Collmenter with a 2.2 WAR as a starter.

That was a pretty good rookie class, but the voters went gaga over crap like RBI for Freeman and didn't put Espinosa in the top 4 because of freaking worthless batting average.

90 percent of the voters have probably never heard of WAR.

Will probably be a good 20-30 years before the old traditional stats are faded out for the more modern stats sadly enough.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #222
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's a lot of money for a guy who's good, but coming off a career year. I guess there really isn't much choice, but if he's the @3WAR guy he's averaged before last year that money will look really bad when he's in his mid-thirties.

Heyman tweets it contains a full NTC. So, they better hope last year is predictive.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #223
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Given what John Mozeliak accomplished last season, short of maybe Jay Paterno - I'm pretty open with anyone he hired. Methany was always a sharp player and catchers good at handling pitchers tend to make strong managers (Girardi, Torre, Scioscia, Bochy, Hurdle in recent times).
Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #224
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

He was probably gonna get 15 million dollars in Arbitration next year and then want a 8 year deal. Dodgers are just getting it to end early.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #225
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers sign Ellis for 2 years 8.5 million...?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #226
Ksyrup

Surprised no one mentioned that Crane has agreed to move the Astros to the AL in exchange for a $50M discount on his purchase of the team. Pending owner approval, of course. But this paves the way for the big realignment into 3 5-team divisions in each league, with interleague play pretty much every day.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #227
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Surprised no one mentioned that Crane has agreed to move the Astros to the AL in exchange for a $50M discount on his purchase of the team. Pending owner approval, of course. But this paves the way for the big realignment into 3 5-team divisions in each league, with interleague play pretty much every day.

I hate interleague play. I am not a huge traditionalist, but I enjoyed the playoffs much more when there were no wildcards and the teams in the WS hadn't played each other in, like, 15 years or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I much prefer not being in a 6 team division, even if we now will play 30 interleague games. I'm assuming 18*4=72 divisional games. 6*10 intraleague games. That would leave 30 more games.

I prefer, that if we have interleague play, that it follow rhyme and reason. Maybe playing East vs East(etc) every year and alternating a different opposite division.

Last edited by stevew : 11-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Time to update the thread title. Matt Kemp maybe or something about postseason awards. Time to move fatty off the front page

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #230
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Verlander unanimously.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #231
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Verlander unanimously.
Verlander is certainly deserving, but I'm a bit surprised it was unanimous considering that Sabathia was just as good.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #232
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

CC 4th, behind Weaver and Shields.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #235
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figure either Devin Hester or the Giants Offensive Line will win NL MVP tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #236
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Amazing. Weaver wasn't as good as Haren on his own staff. Shields was good but guys like Felix and Wilson were better. It confounds me when trying to figure out what in the world these voters are looking at.

This might shock you, but as much as you like to rant and rave about xFIP and WAR on the internet, most people in the country don't give a shit about those things.

Sounding like the smartest guy in the room is fun, but this result isn't "amazing" in any way.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #237
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The NL vote should be unanimous as Halladay was well above everyone else.

Halladay may not even win the award, so lets not go as far as should be unanimous.

Besides, if you look at WAR, Halladay wasn't that much higher than Kershaw (though that's the Baseball-reference calculation), and Kershaw was just about even with Halladay in other numbers - but looks better than Halladay in the "traditional" stats.

IIRC, being #1 in Wins, ERA, and K's is called the Pitching Triple Crown... and Kershaw got that.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #240
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Your usual histrionics aside, I was just saying that mock surprise that the awards weren't given as you have read they should be is not really "amazing."
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #241
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why the fuck you think acting like a cocksucking moron with your head in the sand is relevant to the conversation is up for debate.

You should ask yourself.

Ronnie made a very reasonable post. Oh, and that is also why Kershaw is likely to win the NL Cy Young tomorrow as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #242
Logan
Head Coach

Shocking turn of events here at FOFC.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #243
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

News at 11.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #244
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Amazing. Weaver wasn't as good as Haren on his own staff. Shields was good but guys like Felix and Wilson were better. It confounds me when trying to figure out what in the world these voters are looking at.
I've learned to not get too worked up about award votes.

Change happens slowly, but it is happening. Felix winning the Cy Young for 2010 wouldn't have happened even five years prior IMO, but the relentless continuing education of the baseball fanbase combined with the natural progression of time and a younger generation far more open and accepting of modern baseball stats means voting in another 10 years will likely look a lot more at things like xFIP (and related metrics) and thus calculations like WAR.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #245
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Verlander deserved it more than CC or anyone else in the AL.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #246
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Verlander deserved it more than CC or anyone else in the AL.
Why?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #247
DanGarion
Coordinator

Well shit since you guys already calculated the numbers fuck voting and give it to the people with the stats.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #248
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Why?

Verlander dominated opposing batters nearly all season.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #249
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Verlander dominated opposing batters nearly all season.
No more so than Sabathia.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #250
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Well shit since you guys already calculated the numbers fuck voting and give it to the people with the stats.
The voters have always given the award to the people with the "stats". The difference is which stats are given primary weight when deciding how to vote.