Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And the kick hits the upright, no good.

And my night was ruined....
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #202
bhlloy
Coordinator

I hate to say I told you so, but SC was way overrated coming into this year. The defensive line held up pretty well all things considered but just not enough depth and the offensive line was horrendous (even when you consider they were missing Holmes). A QB and a couple great receivers doesn't make a team.

Kiffin called one of his WTF games as well, which didn't help. Found something that was working and then went away from it with predictable results. No plan B once Stanford realised they could get pressure on anything more than a 3 step drop. And that 4th and 2 bring out the kicker and then line him up in the backfield and go shotgun pass shit was absolute arrogant moronic BS. You could feel the game turn on that play. If you don't think the kicker can hit it from there, just run out the offense and challenge them to stop a quick pass to Woods or Lee. Everybody in the stadium knew that Barkley + Wood meant there was a 0 chance they were actually going to kick it, all you did was take your best players off the field.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #203
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

sorry cuse fans i'm off the marrone bandwagon. the man coaches with the passion of a toll booth collector. there's a reason they're always playing from behind and never put teams away
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #204
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I didn't watch a lot of the USC game until late, but what I saw of Barkley would scare me if i was an NFL coach. He had plenty of time to settle down and not act like a panicky 3rd grader being bum-rushed by 6th graders, but he threw too quickly and wild for at least the quarter+ I watched. Some of those throws came out so quick the receivers didn't even know the ball had gone past them until they saw everyone going back to the huddle.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #205
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If lane cant win with Barkley and woods, he never will

When they get past their sanctions, he simply recruits too well to not be successful on a high level. He's honestly the only guy who has the chance of being a better recruiter than Saban and that's saying a lot these days. "But he's an idiot of a coach." Mac Brown eventually won a title as well despite having numerous top classes and not being the powerhouse they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm sure my system will take some heat for dropping Alabama to #7 this week. Obviously, the eye test shows Alabama's deserving of #1 votes.

If Michigan beats ND, that's instant cred for 'Bama right there. I'll lean on thinking Michigan can beat them simply because Robinson has a knack for doing it and unless Rees gets subbed in, I'm not overly impressed with the Irish offense and their DBs sucked last year even with NFL talent. Irish also haven't beaten Michigan since 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I didn't watch a lot of the USC game until late, but what I saw of Barkley would scare me if i was an NFL coach. He had plenty of time to settle down and not act like a panicky 3rd grader being bum-rushed by 6th graders, but he threw too quickly and wild for at least the quarter+ I watched. Some of those throws came out so quick the receivers didn't even know the ball had gone past them until they saw everyone going back to the huddle.

How bad do you want to draft a QB who never beat Stanford? He was smart to wait a year since he wasn't going to beat out Luck or RGIII, but it will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #206
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Missouri tries the 4th quarter collapse again, gets a 49 yard INT return to spare me the heart attack.

Yes indeed.. defense is good, offense sucks.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #207
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
And my night was ruined....

I went to bed in a shitty mood, I woke up in a shitty mood.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
My god, that USC offensive line is just getting manhandled.

A horrible performance by them. I never thought Hobbi would have so much trouble.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I hate to say I told you so, but SC was way overrated coming into this year. The defensive line held up pretty well all things considered but just not enough depth and the offensive line was horrendous (even when you consider they were missing Holmes). A QB and a couple great receivers doesn't make a team.

Kiffin called one of his WTF games as well, which didn't help. Found something that was working and then went away from it with predictable results. No plan B once Stanford realised they could get pressure on anything more than a 3 step drop. And that 4th and 2 bring out the kicker and then line him up in the backfield and go shotgun pass shit was absolute arrogant moronic BS. You could feel the game turn on that play. If you don't think the kicker can hit it from there, just run out the offense and challenge them to stop a quick pass to Woods or Lee. Everybody in the stadium knew that Barkley + Wood meant there was a 0 chance they were actually going to kick it, all you did was take your best players off the field.

You were right. You called it about both lines. Can't win if you can't control the trenches.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #210
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well the dream is over for Coastal Carolina-they lost to #20 ranked Eastern Kentucky here at home, never led once in the game, and it was basically over at halftime. Defense seems to be the main culprit, a lack of depth there is really hurting them. Things likely won't get better next week as they go on the road to play Toledo.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #211
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Thankfully, UK doesn't have EKU on the schedule this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

BYU getting beat (and by Utah) made up for USC getting beat (though I do like Stanford and SC was overrated).

NorvTurnerOverdrive: There's always that one exception - 2011 vs. WVU. But he didn't recruit anyone since then (the summer camps were dreadful) and I knew this would be another 3-10 year.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #213
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

@ Scoobz.. lol!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Marine showed his ass right there (the Texas guy was "shushing" the crowd btw). I suspect his superiors will have a word with him for that doing that bit in uniform.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #216
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm mesmerized by the way the marine's hat bobbles toward the end of the video.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #217
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Marine showed his ass right there (the Texas guy was "shushing" the crowd btw). I suspect his superiors will have a word with him for that doing that bit in uniform.

Why? He's a very decorated Gunnery Sergent, I doubt anyone will say much to him. What did he do that was wrong?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Why? He's a very decorated Gunnery Sergent, I doubt anyone will say much to him. What did he do that was wrong?

You mean other than inject himself in a situation where he had no business? And other than look like a raving idiot?

MCO P1020.34(web)
MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS

1000. GENERAL
1. The purpose of this Manual is to define Marine Corps uniform policies and provide regulations for the proper wear of the uniform.

6. Wearing the uniform should be a matter of personal pride to all Marines. Marines will maintain their uniforms and equipment in a neat and serviceable condition and will, by their appearance, set an example of neatness and strict conformity with these regulations.

a. Marines are known not just for their battlefield prowess, but for their unparalleled standards of professionalism and uncompromising personal conduct and appearance. It is a Marine's duty and personal obligation to maintain a professional and neat appearance. Any activity which detracts from the dignified appearance of Marines is unacceptable. The use of chewing gum, chewing tobacco, cigarettes or the consumption of food while walking in uniform or while in formation, are examples of activities that detract from the appearance expected of a United States Marine.

If you want to reach a little bit, there's also Article 134
Article 134. General article:
Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special, or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

He's well within his rights to act a fool, Marine or not. He's outside his rights to act a fool if he's in uniform.

It's not as though he's gonna get busted for this, not even going to get anything official (unless he was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be or something). But I'd be surprised if a superior didn't at least casually suggest that he avoid getting himself in altercations on national television.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I served 4 years in the Marines, I know the regulations. It's funny though, we all chewed tobacco, while walking in uniform, so I guess we violated 6a?

I just didn't see anything wrong with him acting like a DI to that player. Oh well...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-16-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I served 4 years in the Marines, I know the regulations. It's funny though, we all chewed tobacco, while walking in uniform, so I guess we violated 6a?

Then why did you ask? You should have known exactly why I suspect a quick word might be spoken.

And yep, you did, except under variable circumstances in the field.

Quote:
I just didn't see anything wrong with him acting like a DI to that player. Oh well...

And I thought he looked like an absurd ass. I'm not lobbying for him to get an Article over it, but it was definitely not the sort of behavior I expect from anyone in uniform. He was out of line and could have easily incited a very serious situation.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #221
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
He was out of line and could have easily incited a very serious situation.

He was about to draw a picture of Mohammed?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #222
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Very satisfied with last night's results, all around.

Relatively insignificant game in the Rose Bowl last night, but a nice benchmark for UCLA in the 37-6 win over Houston. UCLA did not play well last night at all--and they still gained 567 yards, almost shutout a team which had 49 points last week, andwon going away.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #223
MrBug708
Head Coach

I was at the Rose Bowl and it was as boring offensively as you can imagine. They didnt tip their hand at all for OSU
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

UCLA is my sleeper team.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #225
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm mesmerized by the way the marine's hat bobbles toward the end of the video.

Me too.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #226
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lane throws Barkley under the bus after the loss
---------------------------
LOS ANGELES -- USC Trojans coach Lane Kiffin was puzzled by two "really poor decisions" made by Trojans quarterback Matt Barkley in the second quarter of USC's 21-14 road loss to Stanford on Saturday.
More On USC For more news and notes on the Trojans, check out ESPNLosAngeles.com's blog. Blog

And Kiffin went as far to call them some of the worst decisions he's ever seen Barkley make.

On a third down with less than two minutes to play in the first half of Saturday's game, Barkley threw into traffic and was intercepted by the Cardinal's Jordan Richards.

Then, after USC linebacker Dion Bailey picked off the ensuing throw from Stanford's Josh Nunes, Barkley forced a throw downfield and had his second straight pass intercepted.

"(That was) really unusual by Matt," Kiffin said in his Sunday evening conference call with reporters. "Probably two of his worst decisions in our three years together on back-to-back plays."

At the time, USC led 14-7. The Trojans didn't score again the rest of the game.

Kiffin noted that Barkley had thrown just one interception in nine quarters of football until that point. He also said Barkley took a lot of shots from Stanford defenders throughout the game and indicated he was the victim of poor offensive line play.

"He's pretty beat up, mentally and physically," Kiffin said of Barkley, who appeared on the verge of tears in a brief postgame press conference following the loss.

A senior, four-year starter and preseason Heisman favorite, Barkley will now end his college career without beating Stanford -- unless the teams match up again in the Pac-12 championship game in November and USC wins.

Kiffin said his quarterback was broken up over that fact.

"You can imagine the disappointment of a 22-year-old, when you come back and all that you put into it and the game goes the way that it did and having never beat those guys," Kiffin said. "(But) he'll be fine. He'll rally, just like he has before.

"And he'll play great this Saturday."

Barkley finished the loss to Stanford with 254 yards on 20-of-41 passing, with those two interceptions and no touchdowns. It was the first time since October 2010 Barkley played a whole game and failed to throw for a touchdown.

No. 13 USC, which dropped from No. 2 following the loss, hosts Cal on Saturday at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #227
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Yes. In seven-plus years at UNC, I have experienced four coaches mismanage the clock now. I'm basically just used to it.
I saw that too - it was weird the entire time. 2:20ish on the clock, running it down and calling their last TO with 1:50, so the game basically comes down to one 4th down play instead of UNC giving themselves the chance to return a punt or run a few plays if they can stop Louisville? The announcers praising it "because it will give Louisville less time (~1:30 as opposed to 2:00) to win the game (if UNC scored on 4th down)" and ignoring the flip side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
People raised issues after the Syracuse game. They still have to deal with Oregon. There's enough legit teams left I think it will be difficult for them to get into the title game. It just feels like the SEC champ and FSU would be much more solid picks right now.
I was going to say you misspelled Oregon, but looking at those schedules neither one looks good now. No one nationally is going to give credit to Oregon for beating Arizona or Washington, so they're really relying on Stanford winning out (USC would have been the marquee win, but even with 3 wins they'll be ranked 10+ and suspect when Oregon plays them). On FSU's side, with VT shitting the bed, their marquee game (and possible last game vs. a ranked team) is Clemson this week (unless Florida is better than they appear to be.) If Notre Dame or one of the 3 B12 teams (OU, Texas, WVU) win out, I think that team jumps even undefeated Oregon/FSU and plays LSU/Alabama in the Championship game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
But Michigan dropped a lot by connecting to the worst team in the FBS,
UTSA is worse (/maybe)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #228
tarcone
Coordinator

If you are keeping track, both of Iowa RBs were injured Saturday. This led to our back up FB gaining over 100 yards rushing. Both RBs have a slight chance to play this week according to reports.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #229
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
UTSA is worse (/maybe)

Hey, the Roadrunners are 3-0!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #230
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gunny gives zero fucks in the absence of a Honey Badger to do so.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #231
cartman
Death Herald

The bizarre ending to the Utah-BYU game might have been made even more bizarre if BYU made the kick. The time of the missed kick was 11:58pm Mountain. BYU doesn't let their sports teams play on Sundays, and it would have been Sunday by the time overtime began.

Quote:
"If it goes overtime, do we have to delay and go on Monday, or what?" Utah coach Kyle Whittingham wondered after the Utes held on to win, 24-21 at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54...valry.html.csp
Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #232
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hey, the Roadrunners are 3-0!

In my NCAA 13 dynasty UTSA is about to win a national title with my superior coaching and recruiting skill in 2016. That means they're gonna be awesome in 4 years.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
In my NCAA 13 dynasty UTSA is about to win a national title with my superior coaching and recruiting skill in 2016. That means they're gonna be awesome in 4 years.

I dunno if it's you. I mean, the AI has kept UTSA at/near the top of their conference for like 5 seasons in my dynasty. I think their location is a big built-in recruiting advantage (plus their starting roster & prestige were too high)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #234
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The bizarre ending to the Utah-BYU game might have been made even more bizarre if BYU made the kick. The time of the missed kick was 11:58pm Mountain. BYU doesn't let their sports teams play on Sundays, and it would have been Sunday by the time overtime began.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54...valry.html.csp

Yeah, we have played several overtime basketball games that have gone into Sunday..never won one though...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #235
cartman
Death Herald

This is almost exactly how I pictured MacroGuru while he was watching the end of the game. (Sorry, bud )

Last edited by cartman : 09-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #236
britrock88
Pro Starter

I missed the part about switching the kickers between kicks. Was that just a consequence of the first kick being a long one (51yds) and having the punter try it, or something like that?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #237
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Cartman,

It was about like that.

And Britrock, the kicker that went for the 51 yarder, he is our normal kicker and had off season back surgery and is still getting back into things...the punter has been kicking our short FGs and PATs
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #238
MrBug708
Head Coach

Man, first Kiff rips Barkley after the game and now a player retracted his statement saying that they took Stanford too lightly and apologized for making it.