Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fun spin on tonight's WVU/Mizzou game. With one more win, Coach Huggins can pass Norm Stewart on the all-time wins list. Hopefully the Tigers can stay undefeated and make sure he doesn't pass that benchmark on Norm Stewart Court.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised how badly WVU played against Mizzou. While the final was only around 10 points difference, Mizzou held a 15-20 point lead for most of the game. Huggins had a WTF look on his face most of the game.

I'm sure that UCLA will give Mizzou a much better test on Saturday.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Surprised how badly WVU played against Mizzou. While the final was only around 10 points difference, Mizzou held a 15-20 point lead for most of the game. Huggins had a WTF look on his face most of the game.
Hopefully that's just because they miss Jabari Hinds so much

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #204
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm sure that UCLA will give Mizzou a much better test on Saturday.

WV looked really bad but Mizzou didn't look that much better. Hard game to watch no real flow to it at all and the place was empty and dead (weather/football probably played a big part in that). Like you said the UCLA game will be a good test to see where we are at. Wonder if UCLA tickets can be had on the cheap with a lot of people off in Atlanta? Would be fun to head to Columbia and take in a good game and then go somewhere local to watch the football.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, this might have been fun to see. Kentucky women have just beaten Baylor women 133-130 in 4 OT's. 198 field goal attempts (over 40% shooting for both), 112 free throw attempts, 80 fouls.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #206
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watching 112 free throws? I'm in!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #207
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA v. Missouri today, 930!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #208
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA v. Missouri today, 930!

Way too many turnovers by the Tigers in the first half. They're honestly lucky they're still in the game at this point. Just stop shooting quick 3's and they'll be fine.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #209
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently there was some pushing in the tunnels that was the result of UCLA using Mizzouri basketballs for warmups
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #210
MrBug708
Head Coach

Disappointing loss for UCLA
Old 12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Disappointing loss for UCLA

Total 180. Mizzou's veterans started acting like veterans. UCLA's young players started acting like young players. Mizzou's freshman, especially Wes Clark, were huge. Great defensive adjustments by Haith in that second half. UCLA couldn't find an open look after the break.

Obviously two very good teams. Love that you can have these kinds of matchups early on in the season and still not worry about the long-term ramifications. It always bears repeating, but almost no one wins in Columbia.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #212
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Great OT win on the road for a young Texas team over Temple. They didn't get discouraged after giving up a big halftime lead, and nearly won the game at the buzzer in regulation. A 3 with about 7 seconds left got them the 1 point win. The next couple of week are probably going to be brutal, with a trip to the Tar Heels, then hosting Michigan State at home before Christmas. But based on how last season went, they are not looking bad at all.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #213
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

In the UCLA/Mizzouu game Levine looked like both a stud and a freshman throughout that game. Don't know if he is a one and done but he looks like he is going to be a star.

Hoping the pre-season forecasts on Mizzou basketball were just as wrong as they were on the footbll team.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
In the UCLA/Mizzouu game Levine looked like both a stud and a freshman throughout that game. Don't know if he is a one and done but he looks like he is going to be a star.

Hoping the pre-season forecasts on Mizzou basketball were just as wrong as they were on the footbll team.

I thought before the season that Mizzou was at worst top 3 in the conference. I've seen nothing to show otherwise. This team is built very much like the team two years ago that won 30 games. I think 26-27 is more realistic for this squad, but they'll be in the conference title chase with UK and UF.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Haven't seen any talk of the second loss by the Beakers, this time at the hands of Colorado. That team is WAY overrated at this point. They've got some talent, but they've got a ton of growing up to do before they reach a consistent level of play.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #216
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fwiw, Colorado is not a bad squad.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #217
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Rooting for both BYU and Dayton... would love to see BYU ranked when they play UMass next Saturday.
Who else bet the over today?

I understand why we aren't a top 10 team, and we'll never get a marquee win this season with VCU stumbling, but no one in the country has a better resume right now. (I know I could be jinxing it right now, and we could still collapse in conference,) but after so many years where we were on the outside of the bubble, I can't wait until March.

Especially with Cady only playing 20 minutes and scoring 5 points, Chaz might have painted his masterpiece today... 32/15 with only 1 turnover.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #218
RedKingGold
College Starter

Villanova destroys it's closest rival, St. Joe's, 98-68. On its way to the Big 5 title!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Fwiw, Colorado is not a bad squad.

Understood. But a top team would have easily dispatched them even on the road. This KU team should be around 20-25 in the rankings. They're not even remotely close to a top 10 team.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #220
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Who else bet the over today?

I understand why we aren't a top 10 team, and we'll never get a marquee win this season with VCU stumbling, but no one in the country has a better resume right now. (I know I could be jinxing it right now, and we could still collapse in conference,) but after so many years where we were on the outside of the bubble, I can't wait until March.

Especially with Cady only playing 20 minutes and scoring 5 points, Chaz might have painted his masterpiece today... 32/15 with only 1 turnover.

Chaz played out of his head and we had no answer for him. We shut down your big center and then Chaz tore us up.

It was a testy game from what I saw but called quite well.

BYU has me excited for this team and the future. We are supposed to be in a rebuilding year..
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #221
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Understood. But a top team would have easily dispatched them even on the road. This KU team should be around 20-25 in the rankings. They're not even remotely close to a top 10 team.

Colorado was actually favored in the game, too.. but your point remains the same, they shouldn't be in the top 15 for certain. Not yet.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #222
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

Calm down. Colorado's an NCAA-quality team. KU went into this game ranked 9th by KenPom and came out of it ranked... 9th. Good teams lose on the road.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #223
tarcone
Coordinator

Sagarin has Iowa #1

USA Today | Sports | NCAAB

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #224
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Sagarin has Iowa #1

USA Today | Sports | NCAAB

I'll take this time to outbetter Iowa's early okay resume.

Iowa has beaten two decent teams in Xavier (nearly lost) and Notre Dame (took care of business). They lost their only game against a legit top 25 team in Nova.

The Badgers on the other hand have beaten 7 (2 for Iowa) top 76 teams in KenPom (3 neutral and 2 away games, 2 home).

I'll take Wisconsin right now over Iowa. Maybe that's my rose colored glasses.

I definitely look forward to a 14-0 Wisconsin matchup against 12-2 (loss vs ISU? ) Iowa.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #225
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Calm down. Colorado's an NCAA-quality team. KU went into this game ranked 9th by KenPom and came out of it ranked... 9th. Good teams lose on the road.

Sagarin has them at 9, too, after the loss. Losses to Villanova (5 KP/4 SG) at a neutral site and Colorado (34/32) on the road are both respectable, both on last second shots. Still have wins over Duke (20/21) at neutral site and home wins over top 100 teams Iona (both), Wake Forest (both), UTEP (KP), and Louisiana-Monroe (SG, tho like 200+ in KP- not sure why the discrepancy but they have only played 3 games). So far Towson is the only team Kansas has played that is not top 100 in either KenPom or Sagarin (as opposed to 200 or lower teams SE Louisiana, Southern Illinois, Gardner-Webb, IUPU, Western Michigan, and Long Beach State to the schedule).

Before conference play starts, they still have 5 games:
@ #15 Florida
New Mexico (24 KP/30 SG)
Georgetown (26/33)
Toledo (82/105)
vs #24 San Diego State

So that's 4 likely tourney teams, 5 if Toledo wins that MAC. We'll see how good this team is in the next few days.

Quote:
dola

Haven't seen any talk of the second loss by the Beakers, this time at the hands of Colorado. That team is WAY overrated at this point. They've got some talent, but they've got a ton of growing up to do before they reach a consistent level of play.

I think this is partially right. I think bitrock's comments above speak to the "way overrated". They'll drop into the 10-15 range and that's about where they should be with 2 losses at this point in the season, considering the schedule (again, see above). I think ranking them in the top 5 early was silly but the win against fellow Top 5 (at the time) Duke to start the season seemed to back it up.

Either way- the rankings are still squishy and it's still early. And if you think #6 down to, say, #12 is the difference between "WAY OVERRATED" and "about right" then so be it. Kansas has played and will continue to play one of the toughest non-con schedules in the country and then will go play in what Sagarin has the #3 hoops conference in the country. I think we'll be just fine and properly rated at the end of the season, whatever that rating may be. Either the freshmen will grow up incredibly fast, we'll win Big XII title number 10 (tho Okie State and possibly Baylor or Iowa State may have something to say about that, even if Kansas is very good), and we'll be a Final Four caliber of team. Or the inconsistency will overwhelm the talent and we'll lose games we shouldn't and still get into our 25th consecutive tournament and try to play spoiler and some fans are disappointed with the sky high expectations going into a season when our oldest major contributors is a singe junior who will likely be the backup PG by the time the season ends (Tharpe).

Don't you have Kentucky to go start talking crap about now?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-08-2013 at 10:32 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #226
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Very excited to see Arizona ranked #1 next week. Not sure how long it will last, but it's a nice milestone for Miller and the Cats.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #227
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Don't you have Kentucky to go start talking crap about now?

Interesting that you mention them. They're in a very similar boat. They've been inconsistent thus far, mostly due to their youth. Much like KU, they're talented but have a lot of maturing to do before that point.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #228
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Weeeeee! Badgers #4 in AP poll! I know it means little now before the Conference games begin but its nice to see the only 10 win team in the country all the way up there!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #229
tarcone
Coordinator

#2, #4, #5, #22, #25. Its going to be a brutal B1G season.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #230
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
#2, #4, #5, #22, #25. Its going to be a brutal B1G season.

Yep.. And I mentioned it once already but the Badgers have a huge leg up because of their schedule. They get OSU and MSU just once this year... at the Kohl Center. I'd like to see what we can do with a 1/2 seed! I know we got a 2 seed many years ago but we lost our best player just before the tourney and lose to UNLV in the second round, I believe.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've changed my opinion of KU. After watching that first half, I'm not even sure they warrant a top 25 spot right now.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #232
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Because they're struggling on the road against quite possibly an elite team? Wait til Missouri plays on the road for the first time.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Because they're struggling on the road against quite possibly an elite team? Wait til Missouri plays on the road for the first time.

Florida is an elite team? Not sure I'd say that quite yet. They're just about right as far as their rankings go.

I'm excited to see Mizzou play on the road. They're a veteran team with a PG that's honestly better suited to lead them in a road environment than our previous PG. That's saying something given what we had before. The next road game is at NC State. I feel pretty confident they can win that one.

In conference, we only have to go on the road to face one of the two other big dogs (@Florida). No roadie at UK this year. The SEC is looking pretty soft after those two.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #234
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Florida is an elite team? Not sure I'd say that quite yet. They're just about right as far as their rankings go.

I'm excited to see Mizzou play on the road. They're a veteran team with a PG that's honestly better suited to lead them in a road environment than our previous PG. That's saying something given what we had before. The next road game is at NC State. I feel pretty confident they can win that one.

In conference, we only have to go on the road to face one of the two other big dogs (@Florida). No roadie at UK this year. The SEC is looking pretty soft after those two.
Florida is definitely elite. They've been missing players all season and I believe they're all back now. Wisconsin's win over them is going to pay huge dividends.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #235
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh just in case anyone missed it. North Dakota State handed Notre Dame it's 3rd loss of the season, playing in South Bend.

We were ranked as one of the top mid-majors, but totally dropped the ball at the start of the season. Things look like they may have turned a bit, with 5 wins in a row.

Ohio State is next.

No illusions about that one, but had I not been working, I would have seriously given thought about driving up to check that one out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #236
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Big win by Arizona today in Michigan. That puts the Wildcats at 11-0 with two nice road wins and the neutral win over Duke. Pac-12 season is around the corner and it should be a good test for Arizona.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #237
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa choked down the stretch again. Played 38 minutes of great basketball. Then nothing.
Missed 4 straight FTs late and ended up losing by 3 to the hated Cyclowns.

Gotta figure out how to close teams out.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #238
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Big win by Arizona today in Michigan. That puts the Wildcats at 11-0 with two nice road wins and the neutral win over Duke. Pac-12 season is around the corner and it should be a good test for Arizona.

Curious on your thoughts of K. Tarczewski? He's from my town, really the only notable athlete ever. He's typically only seen through some homer tinted glasses around here. Does he have pro potential?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #239
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hate this time of the basketball season. Finals and break really slow down the schedule. Mizzou plays four games in four weeks. Can't wait for January.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #240
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post

Agree, Florida is a talented team and I always enjoy Mizzou on the road as well. One of them teams just like the Oregon Ducks. Dominate at home and mediocre on the road.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #241
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Alright Radii. Texas has given the Tar Heels fits in the past. But tonight I don't think is going to be one of those times.

Brutal next two games for the young Longhorns. Play at Chapel Hill tonight, then host Michigan State on Saturday.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #242
MJ4H
Coordinator

This slayed me:

Southern Illinois basketball coach goes on epic rant about team | Rumors and Rants
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #243
Kodos
Resident Alien

Man, the Indiana boards just go into meltdown mode every time we lose. Which will be often this season. Oh well.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #244
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

That was fantastic.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #245
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Man, the Indiana boards just go into meltdown mode every time we lose. Which will be often this season. Oh well.

I like to read other team's boards before and after they play my teams just to get a vibe of how others view our team. I never sign up to troll or anything but often find myself amused. I can remember the Indiana football board was in full meltdown mode after losing to Mizzou. It was actually funny because Indiana, Vandy, and Tennessee fans were in more disbelief after their losses (with many 2 TD+ win predictions before) than Florida, A&M, Ole Miss, Georgia...

(On the flip side don't even get me started on the levels of stupidity on the Mizzou board after the Auburn loss)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #246
cartman
Death Herald

Wow, wasn't expecting that! Aside from the horrible free throw shooting by both teams, that was a hell of a game between Texas and North Carolina. Texas escapes Chapel Hill with the 86-83 win.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #247
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Good road win for the NC State Wolfpack at Tennessee tonight.

Also, I don't recall seeing a team more schizophrenic than the UNC Tarheels. They can't beat unranked teams and they don't lose to Top 10 teams.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #248
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Good road win for the NC State Wolfpack at Tennessee tonight.

Also, I don't recall seeing a team more schizophrenic than the UNC Tarheels. They can't beat unranked teams and they don't lose to Top 10 teams.

Yeah. A less talented, but harder working team than last year's bunch of all-stars. They'll be a bubble team, but at least they look like they care about it.

And yeah, Carolina is one screwy bunch to say the least.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #249
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Comparing his players to dogs was below the belt. He gets a paycheck -- a substantial one -- so if they suck, it's a reflection of him not being a very good coach. I just think that those rants can be funny or whatever, but...there's a way to do that to motivate and someday be able to come back and laugh at it when things get better; without making shit personal.

But he'll get an endorsement deal out of it and those kids will get their releases. Seems fair.

And by fair, I mean bullshit. But par for the course.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-18-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #250
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wow, wasn't expecting that! Aside from the horrible free throw shooting by both teams, that was a hell of a game between Texas and North Carolina. Texas escapes Chapel Hill with the 86-83 win.
That's Carolina's huge achilles heel. Shooting 61% from the line for the year, 50-106 in their 3 losses (by a combined 10 points). McAdoo and Tokoto just under 50% on the year and a combined 23-59 in those games. Team shot 71-110 in the 3 wins over ranked teams, with McAdoo/Tokoto still only 19-37 but at least not getting to the line and hurting them as much.

UMass with another solid road win over a decent Ohio team 83-71. Great ball movement - Cady/Chaz only combined for 18 points on 17 shots, but the other 5 guys were 24-34 (and 7-10 from deep). Tough road/(technically Neutral for RPI purposes) game vs. FSU down in Florida, then @ home vs. Providence in what looks like it'll be the first home sellout in a decade+. Voters will probably never come around, and I'm sure we'll drop a couple games either this week or once A10 play starts, but this team is legit and is setting up a good resume for a decent (6/7) seed.