Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #201
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ANOTHER pickby the Chiefs. This is just fun time now!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #202
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
+1

Also, she initially only asked for her hospital bills to be covered.

Hot Coffee pretty much tears down every argument for tort reform.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Kneeling is an automatic 15 yards for excessive celebration? Then I assume they'll make Christians praying after a score a penalty too?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #204
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Best part of that into return was after the DB slid into the endzone, the official looking for instruction elsewhere on whether he should throw flag on the celebration.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #205
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If the Chiefs hang 50 on the Pats tonight I'll get a boner so hard and big that I'll be able to lick it myself.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #206
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
If the Chiefs hang 50 on the Pats tonight I'll get a boner so hard and big that I'll be able to lick it myself.

Eww...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #207
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

QB controversy in New England?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #208
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

No pics plz k thx
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #209
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Never go full autofellatio.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #210
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
You should watch the documentary Hot Coffee. It dispels the popular non-sense that surrounds that particular case. It actually shows the injuries that can come from coffee kept at between 180 and 190 degrees and the fact that McDonald's had buried seven hundred other complaints about how hot their coffee was kept.

It is on Netflix.

I know the case. It hasn't changed the temperature of coffee at all. Other similar lawsuits have failed. The jury awarded millions to someone who spilled hot coffee on herself (it was reduced on appeal, and McDonald's ended up settling for about $600k). Which is terrible and unfortunate, but not the fault of the restaurant.

There's now a warning on the cup. But if that were the problem, most people above a certain age could sue anyway, because it's hard to read that tiny writing.

Sometimes bad things happen because we're careless. I used this example because it's one so many people have heard about.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #211
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The officials are calling the game they way they are being trained and graded on. I've worked for different supervisiors and had to adjust what I called based upon their interpretations. It's coming from the top down...not bottom up.

I'll defer to you obviously. Curious when those standards are communicated?

It's just frustrating. Not expecting perfection, but would like consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
From my understanding the referee was right in throwing the flag when Bell taunted and right when he didn't throw a flag in this video.

Guess I don't understand this. Excessive celebration is taunting. Physically stopping a celebration is not?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #212
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Guess I don't understand this. Excessive celebration is taunting. Physically stopping a celebration is not?

Memorable Moments: Teague Knocks Owens Off Star

Justified.

(And I say this as an *Eagles* fan. )
Old 09-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #213
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sorry, Abe. You were only able to reach 82% turgidity.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #214
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The next time announcers go free form in a blowout, I'll remember this thread where a documentary was discussed if people start complain about what the announcers did.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #215
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Kneeling is an automatic 15 yards for excessive celebration? Then I assume they'll make Christians praying after a score a penalty too?

Aactually Husain Abdullah is a devout Muslim, including taking off the 2012-13 football season to pilgrimage to Mecca. Wonder if it was some sort of prayer thing, and if anything comes out of it.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #216
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sorry, Abe. You were only able to reach 82% turgidity.

There's always the Bengals next week...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #217
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And Dennis Allen gets sacked.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #218
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Aactually Husain Abdullah is a devout Muslim, including taking off the 2012-13 football season to pilgrimage to Mecca. Wonder if it was some sort of prayer thing, and if anything comes out of it.
It was definitely a Muslim prayer thing... Which is why I drew the connection to Christian players who pray or make a religious symbol after scoring.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #219
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Some stuff can only happen to the Lions

Joseph Fauria Says He Hurt Himself Trying To Stop His Puppy From Peeing
Old 09-30-2014, 04:20 AM   #220
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I've been wondering why they're using Fauria so damn much when they have Ebron. Is Ebron just not that good?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #221
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I didn't see the Bell taunting, so you tell me if it met the intent of the taunting penalty.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #222
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh, and to cap off the week, Dennis Allen was fired this morning.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #223
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Best part of that into return was after the DB slid into the endzone, the official looking for instruction elsewhere on whether he should throw flag on the celebration.

I admit I didn't see the play so I can't comment on the particular one you are talking about. But I can relate it to a situation that I've had.

There has been a crackdown in allowing players to dive (celebatory) into the endzone. Well the official at the goalline is so focused on the goalline and pylon that he doesn't know if the player who dove actually was threatened and needed to dive or just did it to show boat. That's where he will look back and get help from the trailing official.

I'm not saying the play was correctly or incorrectly called, I'm just explaining the mechanic on the play.

Quote:
I'll defer to you obviously. Curious when those standards are communicated?

Most of them get communicated down at the Clinic before the season starts. But just like everything in life and football it evolves throughout the season. Each crew has access to training tapes the NFL makes each week to talk about good and bad calls. The teams also have access to these so they can adjust.

I know it sounds like I am making excuses but it's not as black and white and you guys think. This is all judgement...each official has a judgement call...the TA (grader) at the game has his own judgement...and the head of officials has his own judgement. You try as hard as possible to get in sync, but it doesn't always happen.

For example, I make a holding call which my TA downgrades me but then later I see on the training tape that my supervisior thinks it was good. Well guess what, my grade wasn't changed even though my supervisior said it was a correct call. So then I'm stuck in a quandry the next game I have that TA, do I call it the way he sees it so I don't get downgraded or do I do what my supervisiors says? Most would say (and I agree) that you do what your supervisior says...but you have to hope your supervisior remembers that your downgrade he actually agreed with when the end of the season grades come out.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #224
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I didn't see the Bell taunting, so you tell me if it met the intent of the taunting penalty.

Being he has done the same thing every game, including multiple times this game, and called once, I'll say no. But I get my opinion is biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I admit I didn't see the play so I can't comment on the particular one you are talking about. But I can relate it to a situation that I've had.

There has been a crackdown in allowing players to dive (celebatory) into the endzone. Well the official at the goalline is so focused on the goalline and pylon that he doesn't know if the player who dove actually was threatened and needed to dive or just did it to show boat. That's where he will look back and get help from the trailing official.

I'm not saying the play was correctly or incorrectly called, I'm just explaining the mechanic on the play.

Most of them get communicated down at the Clinic before the season starts. But just like everything in life and football it evolves throughout the season. Each crew has access to training tapes the NFL makes each week to talk about good and bad calls. The teams also have access to these so they can adjust.

I know it sounds like I am making excuses but it's not as black and white and you guys think. This is all judgement...each official has a judgement call...the TA (grader) at the game has his own judgement...and the head of officials has his own judgement. You try as hard as possible to get in sync, but it doesn't always happen.

For example, I make a holding call which my TA downgrades me but then later I see on the training tape that my supervisior thinks it was good. Well guess what, my grade wasn't changed even though my supervisior said it was a correct call. So then I'm stuck in a quandry the next game I have that TA, do I call it the way he sees it so I don't get downgraded or do I do what my supervisiors says? Most would say (and I agree) that you do what your supervisior says...but you have to hope your supervisior remembers that your downgrade he actually agreed with when the end of the season grades come out.

Sounds like a flawed system.

And back to my original comment, if these are not being communicated in game/ halftime, makes it all the more frustrating. If a call is made in the 1st quarter, like the first time Bell signals first down, but not the next 4 times he does it, hard to grasp what is correct.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #225
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It actually shows the injuries that can come from coffee kept at between 180 and 190 degrees

Which is the same temperature Keurig recommends you brew your coffee at home at. McDonald's still serves it at that temperature today (when they don't they get complaints, because a lot of people take their coffee to go). The only difference is that now they have to warn people that coffee is, in fact, hot.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #226
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Which is the same temperature Keurig recommends you brew your coffee at home at. McDonald's still serves it at that temperature today (when they don't they get complaints, because a lot of people take their coffee to go). The only difference is that now they have to warn people that coffee is, in fact, hot.

No. There was an out of court settlement that resolved the litigation, so there was no requirements placed on McDonalds. The warning of coffee being hot was already on the cup prior to the litigation - the jury ruled that the warning was neither large enough nor sufficient. In addition the initial punitive damages awarded was the actual value of McDonald's revenues on coffee sales for 2 days (which was reduced by the judge to 3 times the compensatory damages). You want punitive damages to be very high - that's the point, it's to punish the company for an egregious act, in this case ignoring hundreds of complaints and internal concerns.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #227
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And McDonalds did change the cup and lid to reduce the potential for spillage.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #228
Thomkal
Head Coach

Say Goodbye to the NFL Blackout rule:

FCC Ends NFL Blackout Rule: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction | Bleacher Report
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #229
BishopMVP
Coordinator

NFL has admitted Abdullah should not have been flagged for going to his knees in prayer (although there is some question whether he slid too far into it?). Sorry, can't link to stuff on my phone.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #230
Thomkal
Head Coach

NFL says Abdullah shouldn't have been penalized:

NFL says Husain Abdullah of Kansas City Chiefs shouldn't have been penalized for praying in celebration - ESPN
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
NFL has admitted Abdullah should not have been flagged for going to his knees in prayer (although there is some question whether he slid too far into it?). Sorry, can't link to stuff on my phone.

Slid too far into it? Islamic prayer (well part of it) involves putting your head all the way to the ground.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #232
Kodos
Resident Alien

FCC unanimously votes to eliminate sports blackout rules | The Verge
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #233
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Raiders settle on Tony Sparano as interim head coach | ProFootballTalk

Funny. The Dolphins have made Sparano a head coach twice!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #234
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Being he has done the same thing every game, including multiple times this game, and called once, I'll say no. But I get my opinion is biased.

Hehe, thanks to NFL Replays, I just watched the first quarter. On the play in question, he was tackled pretty hard to the ground by #50 (backup LB to the hurt Mason Foster)...he got up and shoved #50, did his 1st down sign, and then jumped right back into #50's face with the ref next to both of them. Not a big deal and I could see it going either way, but we've seen this a million times by now, and you have to assume the ref heard something that Bell said and there is no reason to think it was a bad decision on the part of the ref. So yes, you are correct, you were being a little biased.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #235
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You should watch the documentary Hot Coffee. It dispels the popular non-sense that surrounds that particular case. It actually shows the injuries that can come from coffee kept at between 180 and 190 degrees and the fact that McDonald's had buried seven hundred other complaints about how hot their coffee was kept.

It is on Netflix.

If you are going to keep hot coffee between your legs, let Darwinism take over...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #236
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If you are going to keep hot coffee between your legs, let Darwinism take over...

Yep...and if anybody thinks that McDonalds hides information because they are inherently evil and not trying to defend themselves from the wolves that would sue over things like hot coffee looking for big dollars are fooling themselves. It's all about the benjamins.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #237
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

One of the reasons we need to sue over stuff like this. It's the only way to keep the bastards in line.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #238
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Or to justify the hordes of lawyers.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #239
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
No. There was an out of court settlement that resolved the litigation, so there was no requirements placed on McDonalds. The warning of coffee being hot was already on the cup prior to the litigation - the jury ruled that the warning was neither large enough nor sufficient. In addition the initial punitive damages awarded was the actual value of McDonald's revenues on coffee sales for 2 days (which was reduced by the judge to 3 times the compensatory damages). You want punitive damages to be very high - that's the point, it's to punish the company for an egregious act, in this case ignoring hundreds of complaints and internal concerns.

Do you really think that a warning that wasn't "large enough nor sufficient" is egregious? Are those warnings large enough now? I couldn't tell you, I didn't notice them before or after.

I think the pendulum has swung back too far in the other direction on that case now. Documentarians have political agendas too. People have been burned by coffee before that case, and people have been burned since. There were lawsuits before that case, and lawsuits since. This one case was unusual because of the verdict. Most places still serve their coffee at the same temperature McDonald's did then (despite the plaintiff's lawyer arguing that coffee should never be served at more than 140 degrees...of course that was before the coffee snob era we enjoy today.) The only way to protect everyone is to ban coffee.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What was egregious was hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, internal memos indicating that the coffee was too hot, and a completely ignoring of all of that. As long as they got their money, who cares about customer complaints? I mean it wasn't like anyone was going to make them not be negligent. And it wasn't like anyone was really going to successfully sue over it... until they did. And to think, all she wanted was her medical bills paid for. Then again, $600,000 isn't much at all to a company like McDonald's.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #241
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Or to justify the hordes of lawyers.

There aren't nearly enough to prevent corporations to get away with all sorts of heinous crap.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #242
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What was egregious was hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, internal memos indicating that the coffee was too hot, and a completely ignoring of all of that. As long as they got their money, who cares about customer complaints? I mean it wasn't like anyone was going to make them not be negligent. And it wasn't like anyone was really going to successfully sue over it... until they did. And to think, all she wanted was her medical bills paid for. Then again, $600,000 isn't much at all to a company like McDonald's.

Do you have a problem with Keurig and Starbucks and all of the other companies that serve coffee (or recommend that it be brewed at home) at up to 185 degrees, which is still the standard serving temperature today? (Keurig brewers actually can go higher than that)

Your local snobby non-generically evil coffee shop also serves coffee at that temperature (they don't have the deep pockets plaintiff's attorneys seek out though) That's generally what people prefer, especially for good coffee. If a state government thinks that's too dangerous and wants to ban coffee at that temperature, that's cool, but let's not pretend McDonald's is on some island serving coffee at that temperature then or now.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #243
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Do you have a problem with Keurig and Starbucks and all of the other companies that serve coffee (or recommend that it be brewed at home) at up to 185 degrees, which is still the standard serving temperature today?

I probably wouldn't, since I like my coffee like I like my womens, smoking hot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #244
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But according to the lawyers, serving coffee hot and at the recommended temperature is heinous crap.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #245
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But according to the lawyers, serving coffee hot and at the recommended temperature is heinous crap.

Something wrong when something you serve causes these types of injuries:

Jack Calvert: Stella Liebeck's injuries

If it needs to be served that hot, then perhaps McDonald's should've taken the time to investigate a better container for the product after seven hundred other people complained.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #246
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If it needs to be served that hot, then perhaps McDonald's should've taken the time to investigate a better container for the product after seven hundred other people complained.

No, something wrong when you are an idiot and put HOT coffee between your legs.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #247
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
No, something wrong when you are an idiot and put HOT coffee between your legs.

You've never sat a drink between your legs? I use to all the time when I drove.

But that really isn't the point, the point being if you had went to court acknowledging that there was an issue and you had either already redesigned the cup or were in the process of doing it, McDonald's likely would've walked out a winner. Because they'd have shown a jury that they were proactive to the problem, instead they tried to bury it and tell everyone to fuck-off.

As far as coffee being served at 180-190 degrees, my wife is an avid coffee drinker who has spilled fresh Starbucks on herself and came away with a red mark on her arm. I don't think it's served quite that hot anymore, companies just tell you it is.

Last edited by BillJasper : 09-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At some point I probably ought to go back through this thread & figure out how coffee ended up being an NFL issue.

So far, however, I have not reached that point.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #249
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I'm surprised how many people apparently didn't realize that hot liquid could burn you prior to that incident. People have burned themselves, complained, and sued over this forever, and they continue to do so today. It's definitely possible for a restaurant to be legally responsible if they actually fuck something up (though Starbucks beat one suit where the lid wasn't securely fashioned - which is the case probably 20% of the times I've been to Starbucks), but that documentary has created these myths that the coffee served that day was extraordinary hot, and that the injuries sustained there was totally unforeseeable. If you spill 185 degree coffee on your skin (whether you bought the coffee at evil McDonald's or your local store) you're going to get 2nd or 3rd degree burns if you don't get it off quickly enough. And that does happen, and those people do occasionally sue (and almost always lose, or the case is settled). There's different reasonable opinions about how to deal with this, but if you're in the coffee business, this is going to happen and you're going to get complaints, and you're going to get sued.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #250
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
In refusing to grant a new trial in the case, Judge Robert Scott called McDonald's behavior “callous.” Moreover, “the day after the verdict, the news media documented that coffee at the McDonald's in Albuquerque [where Liebeck was burned] is now sold at 158 degrees. This will cause third-degree burns in about 60 seconds, rather than in two to seven seconds [so that], the margin of safety has been increased as a direct consequence of this verdict.”

Someone thought it was obviously smart to turn down the temperature.

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=Mc...offeeCaseFacts