Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #25601
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If it wasn't for Jeremy, and to a lesser extent Better Man, I don't think I could actually name any Pearl Jame songs. I know how they gobbut have no idea what they're named.

Also, I like to sing "Can't find the butter, man" whenever I scour the fridge.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 08-02-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #25602
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
If it wasn't for Jeremy, and to a lesser extent Better Man, I don't think I could actually name any Pearl Jame songs. I know how they goz but have no idea what they're named.

Also, I like to sing "Can't find the butter, man" whenever I scour the fridge.

My favorite band and it's not even close. Eddie Vedder is also a genuinely good guy.

The story on how he kept his promises to the kid in the Jeremy video up until he died and then took care of the funeral costs along with the things he did for the family showed what a stand up guy he is and is also a pretty sad story.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #25603
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Pearl Jam was the one band I thought I'd like forever after Ten and then I completely soured on them after I heard Vs. It was just so uninspiring. I don't know what I thought I'd hear, but that wasn't what I wanted. I think Daughter sounding like a rehash of Jeremy is where I quit on them (same lyrical structure, etc.). But grunge in general had a really short shelf-life for me.

After that album, while I'm sure I've run across a few of their songs, I know for sure I haven't actually listened to a single song from any other album in past 30 years. When I hear any of the Ten songs on Lithium, I still enjoy them, though. Black is the best thing they ever did. And music aside, I'll always respect Stone and Jeff for being diehard King's X fans.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #25604
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ten is an amazing album. Pretty much anything after is between meh and terrible.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #25605
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Stone Temple Pilots started out as an obivous Pearl Jam riipoff but eventually evolved into the superior band. Fight me.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #25606
bob
College Starter

Pretty sure Core was recorded before Ten came out so I’ll argue the first part.

Edit: Wikipedia says Core was record about six months later. Given PJ wasn’t an immediate hit, I’m not sure there was enough time to say they copied PJ

Last edited by bob : 08-02-2023 at 01:45 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:50 PM   #25607
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Stone Temple Pilots started out as an obivous Pearl Jam riipoff but eventually evolved into the superior band. Fight me.

STP fucking smash. God I feel old
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #25608
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I did not know that Stone Temple Pilots name came from being fans of "STP" motor oil stickers. One of my first and favorite toys that stands out in my memory was a pedal car that was shaped like a race car with a stripe down the middle and a "STP" sticker. I loved that thing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #25609
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Edit: Wikipedia says Core was record about six months later. Given PJ wasn’t an immediate hit, I’m not sure there was enough time to say they copied PJ

Six months was an eternity back in those radio days.....but i'm definitely not basing that ripoff assertion on anything factual.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:12 PM   #25610
Ksyrup

I hated the first SP album and after that, yes, they got better but I could never get over how derivative the first album was and I had no need to listen to them. Too much good music out there to force myself to do work to like a band I never liked.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #25611
Ksyrup

Quote:
Six months was an eternity back in those radio days.....but i'm definitely not basing that ripoff assertion on anything factual.

Your ears!
Old 08-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #25612
Ksyrup

It's hard to remember when all those bands came out but STP was definitely on the back end. PJ formed out of Mother Love Bone - I still have the Mookie Blalock demo cassette somewhere in my basement - and of course hooked with Vedder out of the Temple of the Dog recordings. Soundgarden was already Grammy nominated by that time, I think. AiC was also around longer than you'd think, but it wasn't until they did the Pantera switch from glam to become big.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #25613
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I hated the first SP album and after that, yes, they got better but I could never get over how derivative the first album was and I had no need to listen to them. Too much good music out there to force myself to do work to like a band I never liked.

That's interesting to me, cuz to my ears they eventually turned into power pop that I would've guessed was down your alley.

https://youtu.be/ds_43MdYiuQ

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-02-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:00 PM   #25614
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Sure, but they had playing those songs in clubs for a while. I honestly don't hear the similarity at all.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #25615
Ksyrup

Quote:
That's interesting to me, cuz to my ears they eventually turned into power pop that I would've guessed was down your alley.

Stone Temple Pilots - Lady Picture Show (Official Music Video) - YouTube

I didn't get into power pop (except for Matthew Sweet, I guess) until 1999. The period from about '94 to '99 was about as down a period for me musically as any time in my life. Metal was mostly MIA and underground, I was bored with most plain rock music, and a lot of bands I listened to disintegrated or went on hiatus.

It wasn't until the 1-2 punch of Jason Falkner's Can You Still Feel? and Fountains of Wayne's Utopia Parkway that I felt inspired by new music again. And from them, I branched out to all sorts of new and old power pop. And honestly, I've been kinda done with power pop for about 5 or so years. It's become mostly stale. I'm onto the next things that interest me, and when I want some of that, I've got my collection to go back to.

If I run across another band as awesome as Sugarbomb was, I'm sure it will get my attention.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #25616
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Sure, but they had playing those songs in clubs for a while. I honestly don't hear the similarity at all.

It wasn't just PJ, they basically had a song for each popular band that they sounded just like. PJ, AiC, Soundgarden, heck the main riff of Sex Type Thing sounded to me like an inversion of the Enter Sandman riff.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:32 PM   #25617
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was never big on Pearl Jam.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:17 AM   #25618
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Do retailers charge these shoplifters after they drive away? Seems like with video inside the store & parking lot it would be pretty easy. The one with the gimpy leg should be easy to find.
:
:
It is interesting that retailers are making a conscious decision not to confront them (maybe have mall cops & like). You wouldn't think this is sustainable. As more and more of these get in the news, it's just going to snowball.

The Armorer: This is the Way

Mando: This is the Way

7-Eleven workers beat Cali thief for stealing shelves of tobacco

Can a store owner shoot a thief?

If the thief has a gun, I'd think yes. If the thief has a knife out, I'd think yes.

If it was one of those that casually walk in and out with a cart of stolen stuff (e.g. gimpy leg), I assume you have to give them a warning first and then if they continue?

EDIT: after more googling, depends on your State ... it primarily comes down to reasonable fear for your own (and customers) safety. But if you are in a Stand Your Ground state, there's more flexibility and subject to interpretation.

In this crazy world, the above thief will probably sue the 2 owners/workers and 711 in civil court and win.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-03-2023 at 06:51 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:45 PM   #25619
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Air conditioner went out on me, they are going to have to replace the whole shebang. Currently 93 degrees inside the house right now
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:04 PM   #25620
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Air conditioner went out on me, they are going to have to replace the whole shebang. Currently 93 degrees inside the house right now

thoughts and prayers
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:15 PM   #25621
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

This happened to us about three years ago. Luckily, it died at about 5:30am and they were able to bring in our new one by the middle of the afternoon. I now know that my wife and son will leave me if the air conditioning goes out. They went and stayed with my mother until it was fixed.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:35 PM   #25622
Ksyrup

We had the opposite - went out in the middle of December. By morning, the house was 56 degrees for about a week until it was replaced. But I'd rather that than the heat.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:40 AM   #25623
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
My Dad lives in Atlanta and I visit every Xmas
He moved prior to my last holiday and therefor a new place.

Was extremely cold for the south and I was the only one staying upstaris with 7 ppl downstairs. 2 hvaC units and the one heating my toom went out.

Woke up at 4 am xmas eve to take a piss. Freezing
thermostat in the house UPSTAIRS WAS 48. inside THE ROOM.
This is with a light bedsheet and a normal comforter.

But its 4 am and Christmas so not waking up the house. so i just go back to bed and leave the door open to allow the downstairs heat to flow. Sleep 2 hours and get up shivering as it warmed up to 54.

Plot twist is that stepmon asked for an electric blanket and I entertained thought of opening that wrapped gift and using it before giving it on dec 25 but i didnt
Old 08-04-2023, 07:53 AM   #25624
Ksyrup

Did anyone make a straight-to-streaming/cable stalker flick (probably a Lifetime or Oxygen movie, I'd guess) in the mid 2010s with the name Call Me Maybe? Because if not... totally missed opportunity.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:48 AM   #25625
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I just noticed I have 2 more Shawn Mendes songs in my 1350 song "Favorites" playlist than I do Rolling Stones songs (2-0) and I feel weird not thinking I should rectify that.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #25626
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I just noticed I have 2 more Shawn Mendes songs in my 1350 song "Favorites" playlist than I do Rolling Stones songs (2-0) and I feel weird not thinking I should rectify that.

I consider Gimme Shelter one of my favorite songs but I only want to listen to it during specific scenarios. It definitely isn't in my big playlist.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #25627
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I consider Gimme Shelter one of my favorite songs but I only want to listen to it during specific scenarios. It definitely isn't in my big playlist.

Yeah, like I can sing along to the Stones but I really have to be in the right mood for their songs... and I'm just never in that mood.

I do have like 10 Billy Joel songs in the list tho.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:09 PM   #25628
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
New AC getting installed on Monday. Probably will get a hotel room for the weekend
Old 08-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #25629
thesloppy
Pro Starter

MediaMonkey tells me I have 53 Rolling Stones songs in my big playlist.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #25630
Ksyrup

There are dozens of bands I like or at least don't mind that I wouldn't willingly listen to. Now, if it comes on the radio, I can listen to them just fine, but some bands/songs have been around so long, there's really no reason to listen to them on my own anymore.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:30 PM   #25631
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are dozens of bands I like or at least don't mind that I wouldn't willingly listen to. Now, if it comes on the radio, I can listen to them just fine, but some bands/songs have been around so long, there's really no reason to listen to them on my own anymore.

I can kind of identify with that, but I still run into songs that I have heard for decades over the radio that blow my mind when I hear them through a proper FLAC/DAC/amp/headphones/whatever.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #25632
GrantDawg

Quote:
New AC getting installed on Monday. Probably will get a hotel room for the weekend
It is immoral to go and buy a window unit or two from Walmart and then return them after your AC is fixed. Something that I have never done. Honest,

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-04-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #25633
GrantDawg

For those who might be interested, there is an app called Poplin. They pick up, wash, dry and fold your clothes and get them back to you within 24 hours. We have sometimes gotten them back the same day. $1 per pound at $20 minimum. The way they fold things is amazing. They get everything so small and tight. They also use a fabric softener that smells fantastic. I will admit those last two things might just be our person, but still it is a fantastic service at a very nice price.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-05-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:48 PM   #25634
molson
General Manager

I've only used that kind of service traveling, but ya, the folding is breathtaking. I actually felt sad when I had to unfold the lack socks or shorts. It never occurred to me to use a service like that at home but maybe I should take a look.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #25635
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
For those who might be interested, there is an app called Poplin. They pick up, wash, dry and fold your clothes and get them back to you within 24 hours. We have sometimes gotten them back the same day. $1 per pound at $20 minimum. The way they fold things is amazing. They get everything so small and tight. They also use a fabric softener that smells fantastic. I will admit those last two things might just be our person, but still it is a fantastic service at a very nice price.

I am a stay at home dad. We already have a pool guy, a lawn guy, and a cleaning lady who comes once a week. Laundry service could be pushing the limits.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #25636
Ksyrup

My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I showed her the site. I've resisted any kind of help like that, although the guy down the street told me last week $40 a week for lawn service is the best money he's ever spent. But I kinda like the extra workout and alone/thinking time, frankly. I offered cleaning service, but now that we're empty nesters, there's really no reason for it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-05-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #25637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the guy down the street told me last week $40 a week for lawn service is the best money he's ever spent.

There's really not a price too high (ultimately) that I wouldn't pay to deal with lawn shit.

One of the primary appeals of (future) condo life is never having to worry about a fn yard again, does not and has really never held any interest to me. I think a couple rose bushes are the sum total of yard interest I've had in nearly 30 years of home ownership.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:10 PM   #25638
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Mowing the lawn is me time. I won't give it up until I physically can't do it anymore.

But we've had a cleaning service since before we were married.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:24 PM   #25639
GrantDawg

Kid on my street does my for $40 a service. I don't even own a lawnmower.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2023, 06:14 PM   #25640
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I love T-Bone steaks. I had T-Bone steaks the last 3 nights. You all should just call me T-Bone. Call me T-Bone.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #25641
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Co
Stanz
Ahhh
Old 08-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #25642
thesloppy
Pro Starter

We only wake you up for the important meetings.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:13 AM   #25643
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I love T-Bone steaks. I had T-Bone steaks the last 3 nights. You all should just call me T-Bone. Call me T-Bone.

no.refuse
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #25644
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I can online imagine the hell that would be my plumbing system if I had t-bone steaks for 3 straight nights.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:27 AM   #25645
cartman
Death Herald

Today is my parent's 52nd anniversary
Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #25646
miami_fan
Coordinator

Congrats to them! That is a big number in 2023.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:08 AM   #25647
Ksyrup

Congrats! My parents are at 55 and my wife's parents at 54. Hell of a thing.

My parents are in the process of making a life-changing move from Texas to South Carolina to be closer to my brother and me. It's taken them about 5-6 years too long to make this decision, but Texas is too far away from us given that they are now in their mid-70s and we just don't have the time to visit Texas as often as they need us to. Now that my kids are grown/in college and my brother is running a solo eye clinic practice, they have to come to us to see us.

Anyway, they've been in Texas for 28 years. We also spent about 2 years in the early 80s in this same area before my dad got transferred a couple of times, so in total, they've lived in this area about 30 years. They were both born and raised in Detroit (no, it wasn't south Detroit - technically, that's Windsor, Canada), and we moved to Texas when they were around 31/32 years old. When they mentioned that they had lived as long in Texas as in Michigan, it blew my mind. Time effing flies...

Have you ever thought about what age your parents were when big things happened? Had kids, moved, took a new job, etc., in relation to your own age? That's another of those "WOAH" moments. In the moment, you were a kid and your parents were older and things happened. But thinking back to how old they were when X or Y happened, compared to my own age when similar things happened, puts things into a perspective I hadn't thought about before. We both made major, life-changing moves in our early-mid 30s which is probably not unusual, but it is weird to think my parents were about my age when we moved to Michigan and I moved my family from Florida to Kentucky.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:58 AM   #25648
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My Dad passed in March but this year would have been 55 for them, so I guess they made it to 54. My In laws hit 50 this year.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #25649
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Anyway, they've been in Texas for 28 years. We also spent about 2 years in the early 80s in this same area before my dad got transferred a couple of times, so in total, they've lived in this area about 30 years. They were both born and raised in Detroit (no, it wasn't south Detroit - technically, that's Windsor, Canada), and we moved to Texas when they were around 31/32 years old. When they mentioned that they had lived as long in Texas as in Michigan, it blew my mind. Time effing flies...

Have you ever thought about what age your parents were when big things happened? Had kids, moved, took a new job, etc., in relation to your own age? That's another of those "WOAH" moments. In the moment, you were a kid and your parents were older and things happened. But thinking back to how old they were when X or Y happened, compared to my own age when similar things happened, puts things into a perspective I hadn't thought about before. We both made major, life-changing moves in our early-mid 30s which is probably not unusual, but it is weird to think my parents were about my age when we moved to Michigan and I moved my family from Florida to Kentucky.

My parents definitely got started earlier on most if not all life milestones in comparison to me. My Dad was 23 when he got married and 26 when he had his first child. I was 33 and 34 for those milestones. His job got transferred from Rochester, NY to Dayton, OH when he was 45 (and when I was a junior in high school). Without calculating things, I would've guessed that Dad was in his mid-50s when he got transferred, but he still had 20 years left until retirement when he got transferred. Memory can be tricky sometimes. My wife and I moved to from Chicago to Connecticut to be closer to family a year or two after our first kid was born (around age 36). Mom died about 4 months short of their 50-year anniversary, although she had been mostly gone mentally for a few years at that point. Overall, my parents didn't get to enjoy their retirement long before Mom started going downhill.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-07-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #25650
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Have you ever thought about what age your parents were when big things happened? Had kids, moved, took a new job, etc., in relation to your own age?

I turned 45 not too long ago, which was kind of a big age for me because it's the youngest I remember my father being. I was born when he was 40. That always made me feel younger, in that I remember my father my whole life (obviously), all the different things he did, etc., and he didn't even START doing those things until he was as old as I am now.

Last edited by molson : 08-07-2023 at 10:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote