Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #25701
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
One story claimed Trump saw and was pissed about the Lincoln Project ad on Parscale getting rich off of Trump.

Next ad I want to see:

"UPDOG is the gravest threat to our nation. And President Trump does not even know what UPDOG is."

That'll lead to a fun/awkward 90 second beginning to the next cabinet meeting.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #25702
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Knowing they are targeting their ads at an audience of 1. (though many of us appreciate their brilliance) The timing of Parscale being let go, citing disappointment in the Tulsa rally attendance, is suspiciously close to the Lincoln Project ad mocking the large number of empty seats in the arena there.

May be coincidence, but pretty sure the 'ads' are finding their target.

Yeah they have certainly hit their target with their ads. I really surprised he hasn't tried some legal tricks to try to get them to stop (not that they would work) cause that's what he does.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-16-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #25703
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Beyond the absolute joke of a response this is (the very definition of "plan" is to prepare for something before it happens), it occurs to me that this is exactly the way we've handled this crisis - the feds and many state/local officials refused to do anything until the virus came to them, or the spread got to be too much. There has been very little willingness to take any action until it's too late.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #25704
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Beyond the absolute joke of a response this is (the very definition of "plan" is to prepare for something before it happens), it occurs to me that this is exactly the way we've handled this crisis - the feds and many state/local officials refused to do anything until the virus came to them, or the spread got to be too much. There has been very little willingness to take any action until it's too late.

And she is the top education official in the administration, not knowing that the very definition of plan is to prepare for something that could happen, LOL. So much winning.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #25705
Ksyrup

"It's impossible to swim in water" - Betsy Devos
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #25706
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Next ad I want to see:

"UPDOG is the gravest threat to our nation. And President Trump does not even know what UPDOG is."

That'll lead to a fun/awkward 90 second beginning to the next cabinet meeting.

(menacing music playing)

(Image of virus) "There's a liberal scourge that's more deadly than COVID (echo: "COVID... ovid")"
(Image of, I dunno, a normal day in Seattle) "is more violent than Antifa ("...Antifa... tifa")"
(Image of Mr. Moneybags from Monopoly) "and has more money than George Soros ("Soros... oros")."
(White "UPDOG" on Black screen) " It's UPDOG!"
(Image of a same-sex multiracial couple holding hands, going into an abortion clinic) "Stop them ..."
(Video of atomic bomb explosion) "...before it's too late!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-16-2020 at 01:39 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #25707
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Good thing those secret federal soldiers throwing citizens into unmarked vans in the middle of the night didn't instead try to get those citizens to wear masks. Because that would be tyranny.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #25708
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Remember that if you grabbed a voter at random, there's about a ~45% chance that he would see that video and say that he going to vote in November for at least four more years of that.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #25709
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm also guessing that many voters don't like rioters,looters and arsonists taking over their city too.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #25710
Kodos
Resident Alien

Taking over their city. Yep. Lots of that going on.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #25711
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm also guessing that many voters don't like rioters,looters and arsonists taking over their city too.

Nope. Which is why ~45% of the people will say "go ahead and do whatever you want, government, as long as you tell us it is to protect us from 'rioters, looters, and arsonists.'"

I disagree with those people. You may not.

But I doubt that the proud men who wrote the charter of our liberties would have been so eager to jump into the back of the van.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #25712
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I am hearing that that video is of, at least, questionable provenance.

I'll leave it up to remind myself not to immediately re-post everything I see on social media that confirms my priors.

Sorry, guys.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-16-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #25713
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

But I doubt that the proud men who wrote the charter of our liberties would have been so eager to jump into the back of the van.

Well George Washington did lead an army (bigger than any he had in the revolution) to put down the Whiskey Rebellion.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #25714
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I live about a mile from where that supposedly happened and about 3 blocks away from where the protests start every night for the last two months FWIW. Nobody is taking over the city & anarchy is not setting in.

I won't claim to know enough either way, but lots of questions around that vid, people on reddit were pointing out that the person 'arrested' was never cited or cuffed and was put into a vehicle without a partition, and as a result several people are wanting to call this an undercover extraction performed as an arrest.....of course the obvious problem with that explanation is that there was absolutely no reason for such an extraction in that case. There is also supposedly video of this same vehicle later pulling into a government building, whatever you want to make of that...really the only thing that's consistent is that it was very poorly performed, one way or the other.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-16-2020 at 03:11 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #25715
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
dola:

I am hearing that that video is of, at least, questionable provenance.

I'll leave it up to remind myself not to immediately re-post everything I see on social media that confirms my priors.

Sorry, guys.

Where are you seeing this? The Mayor seemed to confirm it. I know there are a bunch of white supremacist militia groups in that region that like to play Army dressup, but these folks seem to have real gear. If it's staged, props on the effort because that gear isn't cheap.

Quote:
dola:

Remember that if you grabbed a voter at random, there's about a ~45% chance that he would see that video and say that he going to vote in November for at least four more years of that.

This country has always had large percentages that supported fascism and authoritarian governments. Despite all the "freedom" rhetoric.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #25716
PilotMan
Head Coach

Gotta love the new Conservative sales pitch. (from an Conservative email list I somehow made it on to)

**BREAKING: New Unemployment Numbers Are In**

The Department of Labor reported on Thursday that new unemployment claims fell to 1.3 million last week.

So I guess ONLY 1.3 million unemployment claims in a WEEK is an AMAZING thing to celebrate!

I am so glad that Obama never got to celebrate such a stunning accomplishment. The winning is simply non-stop.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #25717
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Rather obviously it's absurd to compare the current situation to the Obama presidency. No question his unemployment claims would have been worse during a pandemic than they were without one.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #25718
RainMaker
General Manager

President Trump has claimed he himself can control the unemployment rate. So if you take all the credit when it is good, you have to take the bad when it is bad.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #25719
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where are you seeing this?

The guy I saw that posted it took his post down, saying that he is hearing conflicting things about the video.

I figured that if it is real, then real news orgs will start coming out with stuff about it soon enough. And if it is fake/staged/etc. then it will just kind of peter out.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #25720
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
if you take all the credit when it is good, you have to take the bad when it is bad.

I'm not lowering myself to using Trump's level of logic. Others can if they want, but I prefer to see things as close to how they are as possible. In this case, that means giving the president only a limited amount of credit for the economy if it's good, and a limited amount of blame if it's bad, because it's mostly out of their control regardless of who it is.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #25721
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Chuck Woolery suspended from Twitter for posting false information about CV. He''ll be back in 2 and 2.

He wasn't suspended, he deleted his account. Apparently his son has it and he probably felt pretty dumb.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #25722
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
So is this Goya beans thing a sign that Trump believes he will not be re-elected, has abandoned any remaining pretence of not being corrupt, and is advertising that he is available, ready & willing to milk as much as he can out the last few months of his presidency?

It's just part of the culture wars or whatever. When you can't campaign on anything good, you have to resort to that kind of stuff. Yes it is insanely dumb but that is where we are at as a country.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #25723
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Rather obviously it's absurd to compare the current situation to the Obama presidency. No question his unemployment claims would have been worse during a pandemic than they were without one.

I dunno - Trump enjoyed piling thing onto the Obama economy and it's not like things were all smiles and roses when he took over in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Gotta love the new Conservative sales pitch. (from an Conservative email list I somehow made it on to)

**BREAKING: New Unemployment Numbers Are In**

The Department of Labor reported on Thursday that new unemployment claims fell to 1.3 million last week.

So I guess ONLY 1.3 million unemployment claims in a WEEK is an AMAZING thing to celebrate!

I am so glad that Obama never got to celebrate such a stunning accomplishment. The winning is simply non-stop.

The "better" part will be when they sneak in /another/ adjustment for this month about 3 months down the road so it's more accurate but makes the October numbers look less bad by comparison.

SI

Old 07-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #25724
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not lowering myself to using Trump's level of logic. Others can if they want, but I prefer to see things as close to how they are as possible. In this case, that means giving the president only a limited amount of credit for the economy if it's good, and a limited amount of blame if it's bad, because it's mostly out of their control regardless of who it is.

As long as the acceptable diatribe currently coming out of the mouth of the man in the Oval Office is accepted as having any value at all, as long as he can still take AND get partisan credit for the things he claims are 100% his doing, then it doesn't really matter.

I was being facetious in that statement above about Obama, but there is a reality in there, that if the tables were turned, and this was in Obama's term, and trumop was running against him, he would be pushing a never ending line of bullshit that his supporters would take hook, line and sinker.

Like Steam?

Old 07-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #25725
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Trump enjoyed piling thing onto the Obama economy and it's not like things were all smiles and roses when he took over in 2009.

Sure, but approached from that point of view you also have to give Trump credit for the relatively strong growth and low unemployment of most of his first term. I mean, we can't have it both ways. Either he's responsible for what happens in the economy or he isn't, regardless if 'he' is Trump, Obama, or whoever else.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #25726
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, but approached from that point of view you also have to give Trump credit for the relatively strong growth and low unemployment of most of his first term. I mean, we can't have it both ways. Either he's responsible for what happens in the economy or he isn't, regardless if 'he' is Trump, Obama, or whoever else.

But fortunately you're not going to lower yourself to using Trump's level of logic.

SI

Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #25727
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He wasn't suspended, he deleted his account. Apparently his son has it and he probably felt pretty dumb.

When it first happened, it was reported as Twitter having suspended his account for spreading false information about Covid-19. Either they suspended him and then he deleted his account, or someone jumped the gun and assumed he had been suspended. Either way... good riddance.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #25728
Thomkal
Head Coach

GA Gov doubles down on his stupidity and sues Atlanta over its mask requirements.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #25729
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Who knew Chuck Woolery was such an asshole? Or that he was even still alive?

"To further clarify and add perspective, Covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for of those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones," Woolery tweeted before his account disappeared.

Like Steam?

Old 07-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #25730
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What part of the economy is strong besides a stock market propped up by trillions in Fed cash?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #25731
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling
But fortunately you're not going to lower yourself to using Trump's level of logic.

I'm not. What I said is a basic, fundamental matter of logical consistency. We both agree that's not something Trump does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
What part of the economy is strong besides a stock market propped up by trillions in Fed cash?

I don't follow the relevance of this, but right now I'd say the economy is generally in the crapper and we're in the early stages of what is likely to be a multi-year depression.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-16-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #25732
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
GA Gov doubles down on his stupidity and sues Atlanta over its mask requirements.

Someone in the GA contingent want to give me the Cliffs Notes version of this? I read the CNN story and it wasn't clear. The Fox News one wasn't any better. Did Bottoms say "asses to you, pal, Atlanta's having masks" and the ATL is going forward with their mask order anyway? Is that why the suit?

SI

Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #25733
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Someone in the GA contingent want to give me the Cliffs Notes version of this? I read the CNN story and it wasn't clear. The Fox News one wasn't any better. Did Bottoms say "asses to you, pal, Atlanta's having masks" and the ATL is going forward with their mask order anyway? Is that why the suit?

SI

Bottoms has been asking Kemp to make masks mandatory in Atlanta. He's refused. So she decided to do it on her own on Wednesday. That, along with other cities having different requirements, prompted Kemp to sign the EO that basically says "we'll go to mandatory masks when I'm damn good and ready". Bottoms refused to pull her emergency order so Kemp is suing on the basis that requiring masks hurts businesses.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #25734
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Supreme Court Deals Major Blow To Ex-Felons' Right To Vote In Florida : NPR

2 things stick out to me after reading that:

One is how in the hell does it take 6 years to create a system?

Two is how is it that felons can't find out how much they owe? If the state can't say how much the felon owes then the fine should be dropped.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #25735
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think #2 is viewed as feature not a bug in the system if you're trying to disenfranchise voters

SI

Old 07-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #25736
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The guy I saw that posted it took his post down, saying that he is hearing conflicting things about the video.

I figured that if it is real, then real news orgs will start coming out with stuff about it soon enough. And if it is fake/staged/etc. then it will just kind of peter out.

Looks like it is legit. Feds in unmarked cars with no identification are grabbing people off the street. Can't remember seeing that in this country in a long time.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/fed...nd-protesters/

Washington Post and other outlets have stories up too.

I am certain the Patriot groups and militias will be protesting this as an overreach of the federal government.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #25737
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Supreme Court Deals Major Blow To Ex-Felons' Right To Vote In Florida : NPR

2 things stick out to me after reading that:

One is how in the hell does it take 6 years to create a system?

Two is how is it that felons can't find out how much they owe? If the state can't say how much the felon owes then the fine should be dropped.

The poll tax is back in vogue.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #25738
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 07-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #25739
Edward64
Head Coach

This is an interesting ethical conundrum.

I think its pretty clear to me the US should prioritize vaccine/therapeutics distribution for US first and (close second) allies. I would not expect any different from China if they were to find a vaccine/therapeutics first.

The question now is ... within the US, should the vaccine should go to healthcare workers (makes sense) and then POC even before people with underlying conditions, older people etc. I think an argument could be made to vaccinate the younger generation first even.

(Therapeutics, treatment should go to the ones that need it most e.g. already in hospital, ventilators etc.)

Hopefully once a vaccine is found, the ramp up time will be 1-2 months before everyone in the US (or UK or China) gets it and the gap will be short.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...?mod=home-page
Quote:
With the promise of a COVID-19 vaccine in the distant future and positive signs from a recent Moderna MRNA, 3.68% trial, public-health professionals are mulling which groups of people should get early doses. And some are weighing a controversial idea: moving people of color, whose communities have been disproportionately stricken by the disease, toward the front of the queue.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials and an outside advisory committee plotting an eventual vaccine rollout are considering bumping up certain groups for the first doses of an effective coronavirus vaccine, such as key national security officials, high-risk individuals and essential workers, according to a recent New York Times report. One option that has sparked some debate, the report said, is prioritizing Black and Latino Americans.

When asked who needed the vaccine after health-care workers, philanthropist Melinda Gates, wife of Microsoft MSFT, -0.75% co-founder Bill Gates, floated a similar idea during a recent Time magazine interview. “In the U.S., that would be Black people next, quite honestly, and many other people of color. They are having disproportionate effects from COVID-19,” she said. From there, Gates said, she would prioritize people with underlying conditions, older people and essential workers.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #25740
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Are you fucking kidding?

Old 07-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #25741
BYU 14
Coordinator

And people thought The Man in the High Castle was just a show.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #25742
Atocep
Coordinator

A non paywall link to an article that discusses this with interviews with people detained.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/fed...nd-protesters/
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #25743
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Secret police?

WTF is this NAZI Germany?
Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #25744
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

All for graffitti.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #25745
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

November can't get here fast enough. Get all of these AHs out of power and prosecute them.

Unfortunately, this has now given a blueprint to future fascists so I think it's only a matter of time here

SI

Old 07-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #25746
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Are you fucking kidding?

It's become a tired trope here and elsewhere for #resist inclined people to really worry about "outrage fatigue" and the like. Because he/they do so many fucking terrible things it's really hard for right-thinking people to focus on any of them. It's just overwhelming.

Let's hope this...unidentifiable "police" depriving citizen rights under no flag at all...doesn't get lost in the shuffle as we all cry foul over beans and related horseshit. I mean, that's reprehensible too, but...

Are you fucking kidding?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #25747
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
November can't get here fast enough. Get all of these AHs out of power and prosecute them.

Unfortunately, this has now given a blueprint to future fascists so I think it's only a matter of time here

SI

What makes you so confident that there will be an election in November?

This week we have seen Trump blatantly ignore rules about promoting goods, withhold Covid data and sent brownshirted secret police to pull people off the streets... He’s got four months to complete his full-dictator fantasy
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #25748
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
This is an interesting ethical conundrum.

I think its pretty clear to me the US should prioritize vaccine/therapeutics distribution for US first and (close second) allies. I would not expect any different from China if they were to find a vaccine/therapeutics first.

The question now is ... within the US, should the vaccine should go to healthcare workers (makes sense) and then POC even before people with underlying conditions, older people etc. I think an argument could be made to vaccinate the younger generation first even.

(Therapeutics, treatment should go to the ones that need it most e.g. already in hospital, ventilators etc.)

Hopefully once a vaccine is found, the ramp up time will be 1-2 months before everyone in the US (or UK or China) gets it and the gap will be short.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...?mod=home-page

I read or heard on the news that a vaccine being found is not the time consuming thing but rather the manufacturing and we are talking minimum 6-12 mo this for enough to be made to vaccinate most of adults. It would be longer for the whole population. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...d-vaccine.html

Last edited by Galaril : 07-17-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #25749
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/polit...apy/index.html

Hm... I wonder if Ginsberg has plans to stay on until, oh, about January

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-17-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #25750
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I read or heard on the news that a vaccine being found is not the time consuming thing but rather the manufacturing and we are talking minimum 6-12 mo this for enough to be made to vaccinate most of adults. It would be longer for the whole population. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...d-vaccine.html

The good news on that end is that the most promising vaccine candidates have already started mass production. They're betting big-time on them being effective.

I'm a little less sure on how distribution will work. It's easy to see Trump mucking that up somehow.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote