Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #251
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

tomlinson to cleveland obv
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #252
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Eagles release Westbrook
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #253
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Eagles release Westbrook

Concussions are nothing to mess with. I hope that he hangs them up.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #254
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Best of luck to Westbrook.

I hope the Eagles cut the Andrews sisters too.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #255
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm disappointed that they cut Westbrook, but it is probably best for him to retire with that many concussions. Hopefully, he takes this as a cue to do so.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #256
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This is why I will never ever fault a player for getting his while he can ; team's chew them up and discard them like used rags irrespective of contracts (with the requisite salary cap hits) - there's no loyalty there. Why a player should be held to a higher standard makes no sense to me.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #257
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
This is why I will never ever fault a player for getting his while he can ; team's chew them up and discard them like used rags irrespective of contracts (with the requisite salary cap hits) - there's no loyalty there. Why a player should be held to a higher standard makes no sense to me.

It's not so much that as players that are GETTING what they can and get annoyed. They don't have to sign their contract, and if they want to pay back a prorated part of their signing bonus they can walk away at any time.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #258
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Patriots News

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #259
Kodos
Resident Alien

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #260
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #261
Logan
Head Coach

I got it right away and laughed Ronnie.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #262
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Patriots News

Spoiler

Spoiler

FM
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #263
Kodos
Resident Alien

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Athens police investigating an incident at a local bar where an 18 year old claims he was punched in the face by Knowshon Moreno. Police aren't yet sure what happened since the alleged victim was drunk at the time & had to be filled in on the events by his friends later.
Student: Knowshon threw KO punch || OnlineAthens.com
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #265
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Athens police investigating an incident at a local bar where an 18 year old claims he was punched in the face by Knowshon Moreno. Police aren't yet sure what happened since the alleged victim was drunk at the time & had to be filled in on the events by his friends later.
Student: Knowshon threw KO punch || OnlineAthens.com

Moreno got into a fight at bar with a drunken 18 year old? He should knowshon better than to get involved in that kind of nonsense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #266
molson
General Manager

And RIP Mosi Tatupu. I think he was my first ever favorite athlete as a kid. Probably because I liked his name.

And David Patten FTW. I have no idea if that's a good signing but he's a guy who I'll just root for wherever he is.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #267
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Moreno got into a fight at bar with a drunken 18 year old? He should knowshon better than to get involved in that kind of nonsense.

He probably shouldn't go to bars anymoreno.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #268
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #269
Logan
Head Coach

Was watching that live with my brother in law who's a big Eagle fan and pointed out right away that it wasn't Westbrook. Amazing how that can happen.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Good point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #271
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And RIP Mosi Tatupu. I think he was my first ever favorite athlete as a kid. Probably because I liked his name.

Not my favorite as a kid (Grogan, Yaz, and Orr), but definitely a name I remember, and I even root for his son on the Seahawks just because.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #272
Logan
Head Coach

Umm...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He should Knowshon better.

And punching an 18 year old in the face who is drunk at a bar is not really high on my list of crimes the Police should be investigating.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #274
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

And punching an 18 year old in the face who is drunk at a bar is not really high on my list of crimes the Police should be investigating.

Umm...

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #275
Logan
Head Coach

Someone find steve the drunk guy thread.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #276
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Someone find steve the drunk guy thread.

He probably shouldn't drink and post anymoreno.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #277
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like the Steelers pulled off a bit of a surprise by signing the Big Snack (Casey Hampton) to a 3-year/$21-million ($11M guaranteed) deal, rather than tagging him. And then, they put the franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed. That will be around $2.4-million this season -- which is a little more than I'd like, but he is a pretty reliable kicker when he isn't pummelling public bathrooms.

I like both moves, actually. Essentially, two more years of Hampton is probably doable, since he is a just a 2-down guy for the most part. I'd like to see them consider another NT in the first couple rounds of this draft, as there look to be some good options for 3-4 teams, but now we aren't married to taking one in the first round.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #278
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Under 21 year old women in the Burg rejoice as they know they will still be able to get into McFadden's underage with Jeff Reed!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #279
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Saints have tendered LT Jermon Bushrod with the 2nd round tender, same for Zach Strief. Usama Young got the 3rd round.

I like the Bushrod one, I'm hoping we can sign Jamal Brown to a long term deal, and if we get that done then I have no problem letting Bushrod go. If someone wants to trade for Brown then we get to match an offer for Bushrod, or we keep them all and are very deep at the position again.

Bushrod played pretty good this year, Dallas he wasn't great but that was just 1 bad game- so some teams might like to go after him.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #280
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL, players union spend nearly two hours in talks, leave without comment - ESPN

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith spent about 1 hour, 40 minutes working on a new collective bargaining agreement Thursday, then left without saying a word.

The two sides met in an Indianapolis hotel ballroom as the league's annual scouting combine began.

Goodell remains hopeful the two sides can reach a deal before March 2011 when the CBA expires.

If they do not have a new deal before March 5, the league will have its first non-salary cap season since 1993, and players are anticipating a lockout before the start of the 2011 season.

Smith was joined in the room by several player representatives including Jeff Saturday of Indianapolis and Mike Vrabel of Kansas City.

Goodell brought a group of league executives including executive vice president and general counsel Jeff Pash.

The meeting was supposed to last about one hour but went longer than expected. Goodell and Smith both declined to take questions afterward, and the player reps also did not take questions.

Goodell appeared to be in good spirits when he entered the room. He smiled and hugged one player before negotiations began. When the session broke up, both sides came out expressionless.

Smith has repeatedly said he expects NFL owners to lock out players before the start of the 2011 season, and the union has been telling players to plan appropriately so their families can have a similar lifestyle if there is a lockout.

The NFLPA also sent out a memo Tuesday saying it does not expect a new deal to be in place by March 5 when free agents can start signing with new teams.

Smith has said the sides have had 12 general bargaining sessions to discuss issues related to developing a new CBA and that there have been more than 30 overall bargaining sessions with the league in the past six months.

I'd take this as good news. Now, anything can change, and I still think that a lockout is more likely than not.

But, negotiations that tend to go longer than anticipated means that the people negotiating felt that progress was being made. Also, the lack of response to the media is another sign that some actual serious negotiations happened that neither party wanted to upset.

Of course, it may just be that they always intended to take longer than 1 hour and that they are each too professional to come right out and start negotiating in the media while the conference room chairs are still warm. But, it is a better sign than if Smith had stormed out of the room after 30 minutes, found the first person with a microphone he could see and launched into talking points about how the league is not willing to meet the players halfway and that they are farther apart now than they have been at any point in the process, etc.

Basically, no bad news is good news.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #281
Radii
Head Coach

NFL considers changing OT format for playoffs - ESPN

Quote:
An NFL spokesman said Saturday the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said. If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

That seems the best option to me. I hate the idea of using the college system in the NFL, but this could work well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #282
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

why just for the playoffs? that seems half-assed.

"yeah we acknowledge the current setup is fucked up, but we're only going to change it for the playoffs."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #283
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You'll see a lot more teams play for OT rather than try to win in regulation with that format.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #284
Logan
Head Coach

So one of the issues we hear is "one team never gets the ball"...which this doesn't solve at all.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #285
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I'd be satisfied with a 'first team to 6 points' format
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #286
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
NFL, players union spend nearly two hours in talks, leave without comment - ESPN

I'd take this as good news. Now, anything can change, and I still think that a lockout is more likely than not.

But, negotiations that tend to go longer than anticipated means that the people negotiating felt that progress was being made. Also, the lack of response to the media is another sign that some actual serious negotiations happened that neither party wanted to upset.

Of course, it may just be that they always intended to take longer than 1 hour and that they are each too professional to come right out and start negotiating in the media while the conference room chairs are still warm. But, it is a better sign than if Smith had stormed out of the room after 30 minutes, found the first person with a microphone he could see and launched into talking points about how the league is not willing to meet the players halfway and that they are farther apart now than they have been at any point in the process, etc.

Basically, no bad news is good news.
I still think it gets settled. Neither side can afford an extended lockout.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #287
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I wish they would negotiate predetermined rookie contracts based on draft position. It would end holdouts and bring salaries for the first few picks under control. As it works now, having the #1 pick is a punishment more than a blessing.

Last edited by judicial clerk : 02-28-2010 at 11:17 AM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #288
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I'd be satisfied with a 'first team to 6 points' format

I'd say four or five. A team that comes out, gets an immediate safety, then a FG should win.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #289
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
I wish they would negotiate predetermined rookie contracts based on draft position. It would end holdouts and bring salaries for the first few picks under control. As it works now, having the #1 pick is a punishment more than a blessing.

Yup. They could still give the same amount of money to the rookies--just shift a lot of it down from the top 10 picks into the first three rounds.

Also, to throw the agents a bone on this point, you could say that the contracts for players drafted in the first three rounds are fully guaranteed.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #290
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: and how hard is it to change overtime to say that the first team to score 4 or more points wins?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #291
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Changing NFL overtime is the worst idea in the NFL since the Seahawks switched to those awful uniforms they wear now.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I suppose we could have a draft thread, but it can go here as well. C.J. Spiller ran a 4.28 today.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #293
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I suppose we could have a draft thread, but it can go here as well. C.J. Spiller ran a 4.28 today.

We know who the Raiders are gonna draft now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #294
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Spiller's official time was a 4.37. Best ran the best official 40 for RB's with a 4.35.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #295
Radii
Head Coach

NFL Events: Combine Top Performers

nfl.com is listing Clemson WR Jacoby Ford as running a 4.28. He'll look great lining up across from Heyward-Bey.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #296
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Actually kinda disappointing for Ford, he has reportedly been running computer timed 4.15s with US Olympic sprint coaches in recent weeks.

If they would have thrown a ball to Spiller, he would have improved a tenth.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-28-2010 at 05:18 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #297
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Changing NFL overtime is the worst idea in the NFL since the Seahawks switched to those awful uniforms they wear now.

+73

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #298
JediKooter
Coordinator

Chargers looking at bringing back Chuck Muncie. They say it's a cost saving move.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #299
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thomas Jones is getting cut by the Jets.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #300
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am stealing this idea from somewhere, but if the NFL really wanted to make overtime exciting, then it could have the coaches submit sealed bids at the end of regulation on what yardline they want their offense to take the ball. Whichever coach is willing to start the closest to his own goal line gets to start on offense. If the two bids tie, then you flip a coin (or maybe let the visiting team have the ball).

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.