Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Come on ravens!!!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #252
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

As someone who roots for Cleveland I gotta hope the Saints win.

But one should never hope for a team in the NFC South to win, or they'll be disappointed.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #253
miami_fan
Coordinator

WooHoo Bucs fans, you still have a chance at the division title.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #254
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
WooHoo Bucs fans, you still have a chance at the division title.
Congrats? To the Saints, who are now the first division leader in NFL history to be 3 games under .500!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #255
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The fact that everyone in the AFC North has 7 wins at the moment is insane.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #256
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, and maybe the crazier thing is Cincinnati leads the division. Those 3 games against Pittsburgh and Cleveland are going to be monstrously huge, not to mention the one against Denver.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #257
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd say right now New England has the AFC on lockdown, but I also think they might be too hot too early. Will be interesting to see how long they can keep this kind of dominance going.

FUCK EA
Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #258
mattlanta
Mascot

It's amazing how the Atlanta Falcons are just half a game back from the top of the division...
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #259
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Congrats? To the Saints, who are now the first division leader in NFL history to be 3 games under .500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlanta View Post
It's amazing how the Atlanta Falcons are just half a game back from the top of the division...

But it is Atlanta that is the division leader.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Imagine being 5-11, winning the division and stealing a home playoff victory and suddenly you pick 25th instead of 7th. Is your season a success at that point?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #261
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Imagine being 5-11, winning the division and stealing a home playoff victory and suddenly you pick 25th instead of 7th. Is your season a success at that point?

A part of me really wants to see Carolina get into the playoffs at 6-9-1 because it would be hilarious. But yeah this is a serious problem and at this point I think I'd rather just have the top 10 pick.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

i wonder if Forsett crossing 1000 yards in his 7th season would make him the most seasoned veteran to cross that mark for the first time?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #263
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
i wonder if Forsett crossing 1000 yards in his 7th season would make him the most seasoned veteran to cross that mark for the first time?

In 1962 Steelers running back John Henry Johnson had his first 1000 yard rushing season in his 9th year in the NFL. More recently Craig Heyward ran for 1000 yards for the first time in 1995 in his 8th season.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #264
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry Thomkal.

Tyler Thigpen, NFL Free Agent QB, Arrested for DUI Passed Out in Wendy’s Drive Thru | The Big Lead
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #265
Thomkal
Head Coach

"Big" news here in Myrtle Beach, but figured no one else but me here would be interested in the story

Yeah its sad really Thigpen was just added to the Coastal Carolina Hall of Fame a couple weeks ago, so disappointed to see this. In an interview after that, he said if no teams showed interest in him by the end of the year, he was going to retire. Well no team will have interest now I guess.

But still it was a thrill to see him get to play in the NFL-never did think he would be starter material, but got his chance in KC due to injuries (and Tony Gonzales's backing), for those weeks I was the biggest KC fan ever.

I hope he can recover from this and have a happy, healthy post NFL career and life.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #266
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
In 1962 Steelers running back John Henry Johnson had his first 1000 yard rushing season in his 9th year in the NFL. More recently Craig Heyward ran for 1000 yards for the first time in 1995 in his 8th season.

How did you find this?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #267
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I almost feel sorry for the Chargers, the rest of their schedule is absolutely brutal. Every team they have left has at least 7 wins and they also face the Broncos and Patriots.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #268
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin with a very pointed jab at the NFL and their interview and endorsement rules today (sparked by the $100K fine the league levied on Marshawn Lynch last week):

Sherman & Baldwin skewer the NFL
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #269
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin with a very pointed jab at the NFL and their interview and endorsement rules today (sparked by the $100K fine the league levied on Marshawn Lynch last week):

Sherman & Baldwin skewer the NFL

Sorry, but Sherman has acted like a spoiled 12 year old over a fine Lynch knew was coming.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #270
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think the issue is that the fine is 100k, but fines for more egregious stuff (player safety, etc) come out to far less than what he was fined. Why do you fine a player 100k for not wanting to speak to the media when no one else has been fined anything close to that for anything the entire season? It doesn't fix anything, it doesn't address any kind of issue, it only increases ill will from both the fans and the players.

FUCK EA
Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #271
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm trying to think of a positive thing Goodell has done in his time as commissioner and I actually can't. I can't think of one thing he has done or one issue that he handled correctly from the outset in his entire tenure.

FUCK EA
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #272
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think the issue is that the fine is 100k, but fines for more egregious stuff (player safety, etc) come out to far less than what he was fined. Why do you fine a player 100k for not wanting to speak to the media when no one else has been fined anything close to that for anything the entire season? It doesn't fix anything, it doesn't address any kind of issue, it only increases ill will from both the fans and the players.

This wasn't an isolated incident and he wasn't fined $100k for the first offense. The NFL could have fined him every week for 2+ years but instead warned him last year and ended up waiving a fine for $50k because Lynch agreed to cooperate with the media going forward. He didn't. He didn't talk to the media again this year until he was warned by the league. Then he tried to find ways around talking to the media by instead talking to guys like former teammate Michael Robinson (now a media member) outside the team bus and being as uncooperative as he could when he was forced to interact with the media in the locker room. The league fined him another $50k and then applied the $50k fine from last year as well.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #273
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a positive thing Goodell has done in his time as commissioner and I actually can't. I can't think of one thing he has done or one issue that he handled correctly from the outset in his entire tenure.

Check the value of the franchises.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-25-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #274
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Check the value of the franchises.

I love how the quality of the work that someone in charge does these days revolves less around the quality of the product and more around the revenue it brings in. I understand the idea of business is to make money, but its a shitty reality, not a massively beneficial one. If literally every business operated in this way, the world would be a far worse place to live.

I feel like a lot of parallels can be drawn to the way EA does business in the sports field. They have a monopoly on football. It doesn't matter how good the product is, because it is the only product on the market. People have to buy it if they want to get their foot in the door of that area of the entertainment spectrum.

FUCK EA
Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #275
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This wasn't an isolated incident and he wasn't fined $100k for the first offense. The NFL could have fined him every week for 2+ years but instead warned him last year and ended up waiving a fine for $50k because Lynch agreed to cooperate with the media going forward. He didn't. He didn't talk to the media again this year until he was warned by the league. Then he tried to find ways around talking to the media by instead talking to guys like former teammate Michael Robinson (now a media member) outside the team bus and being as uncooperative as he could when he was forced to interact with the media in the locker room. The league fined him another $50k and then applied the $50k fine from last year as well.

So what are the fines fixing? What are the threats doing? Nothing is being accomplished by this, that's all I am saying. It breeds resentment, and that is about all it does.

FUCK EA
Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #276
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So what are the fines fixing? What are the threats doing? Nothing is being accomplished by this, that's all I am saying. It breeds resentment, and that is about all it does.

Can't you say this about just about every fine in all walks of life? They bring resentment.

In this case the threat of the fine got him to change his behavior and made him aware of what he was doing. I'd be willing to bet that if the league decided to continue to fine him eventually he'd get the message and cooperate.

As for Sherman, if he really wanted to change something he'd do it through the NFLPA. Instead he decided to use the media to try to make a point about media responsibilities. It's really hard to take the guy that can't go 2 weeks without doing something to get his name in the headlines seriously when he's trying to back the guy that doesn't want anything to do with the media.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #277
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I love how the quality of the work that someone in charge does these days revolves less around the quality of the product and more around the revenue it brings in. I understand the idea of business is to make money, but its a shitty reality, not a massively beneficial one. If literally every business operated in this way, the world would be a far worse place to live.

I feel like a lot of parallels can be drawn to the way EA does business in the sports field. They have a monopoly on football. It doesn't matter how good the product is, because it is the only product on the market. People have to buy it if they want to get their foot in the door of that area of the entertainment spectrum.

Don't shoot the messenger. The reality is that for the owners, Goodell's job is to increase the value of the franchises. For the fans, all Goodall needs to do is make sure that there are games on Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays. For those two groups, that is all that matters.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #278
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
RG3 and 8 is out as the starter of the Redskins.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #279
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think the player safety issue (NFL is regularly scheduling games 4 days apart, not enough time for the body to recover, AND fines being much higher for not speaking to the media or wearing the wrong attire than for cheap in-game shots) is very valid, and I think Sherman could actually be perfect spokesman for the idea that the media is only looking for a player to say something interesting they can use to create a controversy, but he didn't do a great job getting them across.

As for Lynch himself, yeah $50k for not speaking one week is ridiculous in comparison to other fines, but players are well compensated, so as long as its in each contract or the CBA I don't see a problem. Now, if its like Ricky Williams and there's actually a social anxiety disorder in play, get diagnosed by a doctor and I have no problem supporting his right to avoid speaking to reporters.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #280
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Sorry, but Sherman has acted like a spoiled 12 year old over a fine Lynch knew was coming.
He was dead-on in his critiques and pointing out the hypocrisy of the NFL with their stances on safety and promoting alcohol. I don't see a "spoiled 12 year old" here at all.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #281
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I hope in 2-3 years he's starting and doing well in Philly under Chip Kelly or in Dallas as Romo's replacement under Art Briles or some other coach who relies on the deep ball. Washington deserves all the bad karma for putting him back out there on a shitty field for 3 straight games.

It is interesting to look at RG3 in light of the recent furor over Derrick Rose's comments... I think Rose goes too far, but at what point is "playing through pain like a Warrior" actually detrimental to the team?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #282
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
He was dead-on in his critiques and pointing out the hypocrisy of the NFL with their stances on safety and promoting alcohol. I don't see a "spoiled 12 year old" here at all.
The message is right, but the way he delivered the message took away from it. Now its more about Richard Sherman (and Doug Baldwin) being clever instead of the underlying message.

Why couldn't he literally just come out and read a statement that says "The NFL claims to care about player safety, but we're playing the most physical rivalry in the league after only 3 days rest because the NFL cares more about increasing TV revenue. They're also talking about expanding to an 18 game season to make more money, and my teammate just got fined 3 times more for not speaking to the media than every NFL player did combined for anything dirty that happened on the field this past week. Thank you, good day."
Old 11-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #283
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The message is right, but the way he delivered the message took away from it. Now its more about Richard Sherman (and Doug Baldwin) being clever instead of the underlying message.

Why couldn't he literally just come out and read a statement that says "The NFL claims to care about player safety, but we're playing the most physical rivalry in the league after only 3 days rest because the NFL cares more about increasing TV revenue. They're also talking about expanding to an 18 game season to make more money, and my teammate just got fined 3 times more for not speaking to the media than every NFL player did combined for anything dirty that happened on the field this past week. Thank you, good day."
Because humor makes it easier for tough messages to be delivered. I have no doubt that doing it the way Sherman & Baldwin did it resulted in a lot more people watching it than had he done what you suggested. And I really doubt that doing what you suggested would have felt any less "about" Richard Sherman than his skit.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #284
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The skit plus answering questions in his media session today with "don't care" and then abruptly ending it by saying "that's what happens when Marshawn gets fined" is pretty childish.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #285
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger. The reality is that for the owners, Goodell's job is to increase the value of the franchises. For the fans, all Goodall needs to do is make sure that there are games on Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays. For those two groups, that is all that matters.

Not really trying to shoot the messenger there, just expressing general distaste with the way the world seems to operate more and more as time goes by. Upsetting to see the NFL so heavily invested in making tons of money and not so worried about the on field product.

The game just felt so much better in the 80's and 90's, and I wish I had been alive to witness it in the 70's too. It's begun to have a sort of washed out feel, a tastelessness. There's a volatile vibe brewing and despite all this money making, the players could have quite the uprising with the right union leader in place.. But I don't want to see that. I just want football, man. I want the players and the owners to be happy, which both sides certainly seemed to be when Tagliabue was running the show.

FUCK EA
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #286
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not really trying to shoot the messenger there, just expressing general distaste with the way the world seems to operate more and more as time goes by. Upsetting to see the NFL so heavily invested in making tons of money and not so worried about the on field product.

The game just felt so much better in the 80's and 90's, and I wish I had been alive to witness it in the 70's too. It's begun to have a sort of washed out feel, a tastelessness. There's a volatile vibe brewing and despite all this money making, the players could have quite the uprising with the right union leader in place.. But I don't want to see that. I just want football, man. I want the players and the owners to be happy, which both sides certainly seemed to be when Tagliabue was running the show.

A business tries to make money?

DOoooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmm!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:49 AM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't fix anything, it doesn't address any kind of issue, it only increases ill will from both the fans and the players.

I dunno, fining him for failing to live up to an obligation increases a small measure of respect for the league afaic.

And giving Sherman another chance to look like a complete jackass, hey, that's always a plus in my book. The league would be more appealing to me if twits like Sherman weren't in it, every time he opens his mouth we're one step closer to that happening.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 AM   #288
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Here goes the push for .500?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #289
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Richard Sherman is upset that he can't advertise his personal agenda on company time, and he doesn't think Lynch should have been fined because he didn't agree to the policy?

Great. I'm going to tell my daughter that when she gets her drivers license, she doesn't have to drive the speed limit if she doesn't agree that it's fair.

Typical Sherman self-promotion garbage. If he really wanted to make a difference, he would be trying to do something behind closed doors. Don't confuse this for "trying to do the right thing." This is self-promotion 101, folks.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-26-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #290
Easy Mac

Quote:

3-8 is very optimistic for RG3. He's 3-14 in the last 17 games he's started and played more than halfway.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #291
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Colts are pretty happy. Chose the right horse twice.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #292
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the player safety issue (NFL is regularly scheduling games 4 days apart, not enough time for the body to recover, AND fines being much higher for not speaking to the media or wearing the wrong attire than for cheap in-game shots) is very valid, and I think Sherman could actually be perfect spokesman for the idea that the media is only looking for a player to say something interesting they can use to create a controversy, but he didn't do a great job getting them across.

As for Lynch himself, yeah $50k for not speaking one week is ridiculous in comparison to other fines, but players are well compensated, so as long as its in each contract or the CBA I don't see a problem. Now, if its like Ricky Williams and there's actually a social anxiety disorder in play, get diagnosed by a doctor and I have no problem supporting his right to avoid speaking to reporters.

I'm guessing that all fines are collectively bargained and the NFLPA has much more of an interest in negotiating lower fines for on field play that could be levied on any player, regardless of intent, than lowering fines for doing something that 99.9% of the players realize is just part of the job description. They'd rather suck it up and answer questions in front of their locker than end up paying $100K when they tried to make a tackle and the ball carrier ducked at the last second, so a shoulder-on-shoulder-hit becomes a shoulder-on-helmet hit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #293
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
3-8 is very optimistic for RG3. He's 3-14 in the last 17 games he's started and played more than halfway.

Healthy and in a good situation and system I think he'd be above average at minimum. He'll probably end up on the Raiders though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #294
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Healthy and in a good situation and system I think he'd be above average at minimum. He'll probably end up on the Raiders though.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's probably more talented than Luck, but I think the injuries are in his head and he's been pretty much hated by two straight coaches. I think if he can stay healthy consistently and get past his injuries, that would go a long way towards fixing his relationship with his coaches.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #295
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Imagine the Rams acquiring him in the offseason as an FA. That might go down as the best trade in history since the Herschel Walker fleecing.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #296
Easy Mac

After a few other trades by STL, that trade is now:
RG3 for

Janoris Jenkins
Greg Robinson
Michael Brokers (via Morris Claiborne pick/trade)
Isaiah Pead (via Claiborne pick and Alshon Jeffrey pick/trade)
Rokevious Watkins (via Claiborne pick and Alshon Jeffrey pick/trade)
Stedman Bailey (via Desmond Trufant pick/trade)
Alec Ogletree (via Desmond Trufant pick/trade)
Zach Stacey (via Trufant pick and Chris Jones pick/trade)
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #297
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think, barring RGIII hooking up with a true Quarterback guru (Harbaugh-esque), he's pretty much toast. I'd put him close to being in the same bucket as Alex Smith earlier in his career.

Talent
Questionable Coaches
Injuries
Lackluster talent around him
Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I dunno, fining him for failing to live up to an obligation increases a small measure of respect for the league afaic.

And giving Sherman another chance to look like a complete jackass, hey, that's always a plus in my book. The league would be more appealing to me if twits like Sherman weren't in it, every time he opens his mouth we're one step closer to that happening.

That was classic wrestling heel Mic work. I just appreciate it for that
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #299
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Richard Sherman is upset that he can't advertise his personal agenda on company time, and he doesn't think Lynch should have been fined because he didn't agree to the policy?

Great. I'm going to tell my daughter that when she gets her drivers license, she doesn't have to drive the speed limit if she doesn't agree that it's fair.

Typical Sherman self-promotion garbage. If he really wanted to make a difference, he would be trying to do something behind closed doors. Don't confuse this for "trying to do the right thing." This is self-promotion 101, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
In other NFL news...

Julius Thomas is fined $8k for an illegal chop block during a Week 5 game, and Colin Kaepernick is fined $10k for wearing pink headphones during a press conference in support of Breast Cancer awareness month.

What the hell is wrong with this league?

Got it - 49ers player doesn't follow league policy, something is wrong with league. Seahawks players doesn't follow policy, something is wrong with Seahawks players.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #300
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because humor makes it easier for tough messages to be delivered. I have no doubt that doing it the way Sherman & Baldwin did it resulted in a lot more people watching it than had he done what you suggested. And I really doubt that doing what you suggested would have felt any less "about" Richard Sherman than his skit.

Bingo. It was #1 in Trending stories on Facebook because it was amusing. A plain statement doesn't reach as many people. A skit does.