Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Jeff Hornacek is about to be hired by the Knicks.

So what are his 'not getting it' moments in your book? Last offseason the only significant move the Rockets made was trading for Ty Lawson. A lot of people thought that was going to put them on the same level as Golden State; I didn't, but it's not like they gave up a ton for Lawson.

You don't strike me as the type who thinks the Rockets should have majorly shaken things up following last season because in your eyes the Rockets probably were a team that showed much more grit than the Clippers in advancing to the Western finals (as opposed to being a team that was on its way to a rather unceremonious elimination until Corey Brewer and Josh Smith led a comeback by drilling a bunch of contested three-pointers in the fourth quarter of one game).

The offseason before that, everyone thought the sky was falling because Chris Bosh decided at the 11th hour to stay in Miami for a five year deal and the Rockets got outbid for Chandler Parsons (and then had a better team than the season before when they replaced him with a cheaper player in Trevor Ariza, but that seemed to get swept under the rug).

I'm not gonna go over every transaction back to 2006 or whenever (maybe you consider the Harden trade to be retroactively bad because Steven Adams is playing well now and Harden was out of shape at the start of the season?), but I was under the impression that consistently putting a competitive team without finishing near the bottom of the league is qualification for sainthood, let alone proof that one 'gets it' but YMMV.

Morey did a great job of adding talent to the team through about three years ago, but since then I haven't seen it take a step forward. Dwight Howard was a terrible move, and they're probably going to have unload him at half his value this offseason to get rid of him.

I thought the Rockets got to the WCF because the Clippers choked, not because the Rockets are any good. They struck me as a stagnant team coming into this year, at best. Then they fired their coach 11 games into the season.

Harden is the only reason for that team to have much hope at all, anywhere near I can tell, and he reminds me of a young Carmelo (not a good thing for team success).

Follow that up by watching the crap show that was D'Antoni here in LA and knowing what an egotistical coach he is, and how stubbornly he holds to his ways, even in the face of massive poor performance by his teams, and that's the guy Houston wants to hire?

That's terrible.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #252
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was actually at that Clips-Rockets game in LA, sitting in the lower section surrounded by Rockets fans. It was a pretty crazy game - Rockets fans were sitting there being taunted all game, and then when Smith caught fire, it was like a cemetery in that arena, with the exception of the rowdy Rockets fans sitting all around us. Great game to see live though, with no vested interest in the result.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #253
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
James Harden plays point guard on offense for the Rockets. Steve Nash is probably the most well-known example in NBA history of a player who improved rather than declined after age 30, which happened to be the first season D'Antoni coached him, so your definition of underachieving is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

Okay I should've said statistically underachieving. A point guard of his caliber shooting 50/43 couldve easily averaged over 20PPG in D'antoni's offense.

Chris Duhon, Raymond Felton, Jeremy Lin, Kendall Marshall all had a season they were statistically great while playing under D'antoni's offense. There were stretches where all four of these guards looked like they were top 10 of their position. Kendall Marshall (a point guard who could barely get in the rotation for the Sixers this season) for a month averaged 12PPG/12APG with the Lakers.

Still though would love to see Harden and the Rockets coached by D'antoni. The team defense would probably allow over 110PPG.

Last edited by wustin : 05-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #254
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Okay I should've said statistically underachieving. A point guard of his caliber shooting 50/43 couldve easily averaged over 20PPG in D'antoni's offense.

Chris Duhon, Raymond Felton, Jeremy Lin, Kendall Marshall all had a season they were statistically great while playing under D'antoni's offense. There were stretches where all four of these guards looked like they were top 10 of their position. Kendall Marshall (a point guard who could barely get in the rotation for the Sixers this season) for a month averaged 12PPG/12APG with the Lakers.

Still though would love to see Harden and the Rockets coached by D'antoni. The team defense would probably allow over 110PPG.

It seemed like Nash's balance of passing and scoring worked pretty well for the Suns overall and to the extent they came up short in the postseason, it was against teams that focused on taking away his passing options and making him into more of a scorer. Plus when you consider how completely his body wore down with the Lakers, having him trying to create a few more shots for himself per game might have accelerated that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, but: No rings, consistently lose in the playoffs, no high lottery picks.

Grade: F

Howard and Harden were the first and third picks in their respective drafts. Houston has traditionally been a much more reliable free agent destination thanks to being in a big city, good weather, no income tax, international marketing appeal thanks to Yao Ming's career, so I see no problem with the Rockets relying a little more on trying to sign the best of the best free agents (aka other teams' high lottery picks whose growing pains are now behind them).
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 AM   #255
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Howard and Harden were the first and third picks in their respective drafts. Houston has traditionally been a much more reliable free agent destination thanks to being in a big city, good weather, no income tax, international marketing appeal thanks to Yao Ming's career, so I see no problem with the Rockets relying a little more on trying to sign the best of the best free agents (aka other teams' high lottery picks whose growing pains are now behind them).

Sure, but neither made them legit contenders alone - Dwight hasn't been an elite player since he left Orlando. Harden was a risk, and at this stage looks better suited to his OKC role than he is his Houston role as far as hiding weaknesses/showing strengths goes.

Morey struck out on other key FAs, failed to land any difference makers via trades, and the Rockets steadily trended downwards this season. No titles, traded away their 2016 1st rounder for a guy who had fallen off the rails, Dwight has 1 foot out the door, and unless you think Durant is coming to Houston to team up with his old buddy, no likely FAs who are going to step in and make them a legit contender next year. Morey tried, and there's been some great basketball moments by this team over the past couple of seasons, but all for nought in the end on your scale. That's gotta be a complete fail up to this point, right?
Old 05-19-2016, 03:22 AM   #256
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And to that mix they will maybe add D'Antoni, truly one of the worst handlers of basketball teams I have had the opportunity to witness up close.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #257
Alf
Pro Starter

Golden State getting back to 1-1. I haven't seen the game, nor a recap yet. But given the box score, Westbrook had a down game (scoring wise) and Durant couldn't carry the team on its shoulders alone.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #258
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Golden State getting back to 1-1. I haven't seen the game, nor a recap yet. But given the box score, Westbrook had a down game (scoring wise) and Durant couldn't carry the team on its shoulders alone.

It was more just really good defense by Golden State and them playing at a level that would guarantee them a title if they approximate it seven more times over the next few weeks, regardless of what the Thunder or Cavs do. Curry also had one of the best two-minute stretches of basketball you will ever see to turn the game into a blowout in the 3rd quarter.

Quote:
Sure, but neither made them legit contenders alone - Dwight hasn't been an elite player since he left Orlando. Harden was a risk, and at this stage looks better suited to his OKC role than he is his Houston role as far as hiding weaknesses/showing strengths goes.

I wouldn't classify Russell Westbrook or Chris Paul as good enough to make a team contenders on their own, so if I go down the MVP ballot, there are what, 2-3 players for whom this phrase would apply? Harden was 2nd place in the MVP voting last year (Anthony Davis finished 5th and was certainly not good enough to make the Pelicans a contender on his own) and averaged 30 and 8 after the All-Star break this year, and you think he needs to be coming off the bench? Yeah, it would certainly be ideal to have James Harden come off the bench because that would mean your team was the Dream Team Harden fared just as well - both individually and in terms of team wins - against the Steph-less Warriors as Damian Lillard did with much less help around him. Once December or so came around, Harden was pretty much the same level he was last season, slightly worse defensively while taking on more of a load on offense, and oh yeah, will probably be earning less over the next two seasons than players like Harrison Barnes and Evan Fournier will be after this summer. Houston really got burned on that risk!

Quote:
Morey struck out on other key FAs, failed to land any difference makers via trades, and the Rockets steadily trended downwards this season. No titles, traded away their 2016 1st rounder for a guy who had fallen off the rails Dwight has 1 foot out the door, and unless you think Durant is coming to Houston to team up with his old buddy, no likely FAs who are going to step in and make them a legit contender next year. Morey tried, and there's been some great basketball moments by this team over the past couple of seasons, but all for nought in the end on your scale. That's gotta be a complete fail up to this point, right?

My scale? Find one place where I've said teams that have won 50+ games across multiple seasons aren't doing fine and instead need to blow it up or fire people indiscriminately (if you don't wish to strain yourself with reading, it's never something I've thought). I just don't bother pretending the teams that exceed expectations to win 40-ish games one year because nobody was injured and other teams didn't bother scouting them much early on are automatically on the precipice of contending for titles. I just don't need to hear about how the teams that end up getting demolished in the playoffs by actual title contenders are doing everything perfectly right and there's no other way despite all the readily-available evidence to the contrary.

There are a handful of organizations that consistently make poor decisions, and outside of those I don't waste my time thinking of who failed and needs to get fired; if somebody from outside that group does, I don't whine about it too much either if I can see some halfway decent rationale for it (see: David Blatt and how that apparently meant the Cavs were going to implode with Lue in charge).

I don't try to have it both ways by saying that Philadelphia is the scourge of the earth because they didn't try to spend any money on free agents and then criticizing a team for striking out on 'key' free agents even though hardly any of them change teams, nor do I try to count trading for Ty Lawson as a failure for the Rockets while simultaneously counting *not* trading for Ty Lawson as evidence the Sixers are running a Ponzi scheme.

Even the injured, diminished version of Dwight Howard has been the 4th-best free agent to change teams since 2013 after LeBron, Alridge and Millsap. If he does opt out, they effectively signed him to a 3-year max deal during which he was max-worthy when healthy the first two and dropped off in the final year, just in time for them to cut bait and have a bunch of cap room this offseason. Put it this way: that's more production than Milwaukee is going to get from the Greg Monroe signing, which less than a year ago everyone loved and viewed as an example of how easy it is to go from the bottom of the league to being a perennial power. If worst comes to worst, it's better to be the Rockets trying to find second-tier free agents to fit around Harden over the next few seasons than the Mavericks trying to do the same for Dirk, and I think the Mavericks have done alright over the past few years too.

Last edited by nol : 05-19-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #259
bob
College Starter

Stolen from elsewhere:

If I’m Steven Adams I wait until next season, and kick Draymond Green in the nuts as hard as I can. Take my suspension and a couple weeks off. I’m not talking when he has the ball, just when he is standing in the paint not paying attention. Then walk straight to the locker room
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #260
wustin
College Prospect

Warriors were down 1-2 in the playoffs against Memphis and Cavs last year
Old 05-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #261
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

If what Dahntay Jones did yesterday warrants a suspension than so does what Green did today.

Not that I think it'll happen.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #262
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Warriors were down 1-2 in the playoffs against Memphis and Cavs last year

Though honest question were there any blown outs like this in either those series?

Last edited by Galaril : 05-22-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #263
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Though honest question were they blown out like this ever in those series?
I don't think so, but I will check.

This series has been nothing but blowouts. If you disregard the first half of game 1 of the series, OKC outscored GSW 61 to 42 in the 2nd half. We haven't had a game where both teams played well through all 4 quarters yet.

Last edited by wustin : 05-22-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #264
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I bet the NBA is kicking themselves right now for that previous very meaningless suspension. This puts a tough decision in their hands. A suspension basically gives OKC a 75-80 percent chance of a 3-1 lead where as a non suspension makes game 4 a coinflip.

Maybe they should suspend him the 1st quarter, lol.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-23-2016 at 10:48 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #265
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think you can argue that Green was flailing to get a foul call while Jones was basically taking a cheap shot at the end of the game. It's not like Jones' hit was a "normal extension of the the play" - he popped Byombo in the groin once the play was over. I think the NBA could just fine Green and be OK given he's done his "kick flail" two or three times earlier in the season while trying to get a call.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #266
nol
Banned

Jones is a unique situation because he signed on the last day of the regular season - if he were fined $10k that would be more than he'll have earned from the Cavs this year. He only plays garbage time, so suspending him for a game is as much a non-punishment as slapping Green on the wrist with a fine, which is probably what will happen.

As a competitor you want to take every edge you can get, but at the same time I bet some of the OKC players want to have Green in because they feel they can beat the Warriors fair and square and wouldn't want to hear about getting lucky or the refs handing them the series.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #267
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Olynyck got suspended 1 game for the Love incident and JR Smith got suspended 2 games for the elbow on Crowder last season so it's not like it would be the first time for a suspension in the playoffs.

Isn't it also the 2nd game in a row he's kicked someone in the nuts? If they don't suspend Green, Singler should get his first significant playing time and drop kick Steph and then curb stomp him.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #268
Calis
College Starter

I thought the first kick Green laid on Adams could pretty easily be given the benefit of the doubt and be considered accidental.

The second one I have a much harder time viewing that way.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #269
nol
Banned

The difference between Olynyk and Green is that Olynyk didn't get called for a flagrant during the game and Green did. Happens all the time.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #270
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Dwyane Wade Suspended For 1 Game, Low Blow on Ramon Sessions - YouTube

Wade got suspended for the same kick to the groin in 2012. At least Kiki let us know it will only cost you 25k now if you choose to do this(well I mean accidentally).

"During a game, players -- at times -- flail their legs in an attempt to draw a foul," VanDeWeghe continued, "but Green's actions in this case warranted an additional penalty."

So the NBA admits he crossed the line but they feel better taking his check?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #271
whomario
Pro Starter

I dont see how you watch this and the Green thing and rate them similarly. Wade kicks out his leg both after the play is whistled dead and after his forward movement is stopped.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #272
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I dont see how you watch this and the Green thing and rate them similarly. Wade kicks out his leg both after the play is whistled dead and after his forward movement is stopped.

Green is looking right at where he kicked Adams and is a couple feet away. Wade was being grabbed when his happened. I understand, it's a money move by the NBA but excusing a flail now means that flopping is legal again.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-23-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #273
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think the difference is that Wade's kick was an obvious retaliation to the shove/grab, and had nothing to do with anything he was doing on the court at the time.

I don't think Draymond had any less intent with his shot, but it was directly related to his leap and was a move similar to what many players do when trying to draw a foul.

I'm actually really disappointed by it, because I've always known Draymond was a "well, he's our asshole" kind of player...but I feel like he's never actually crossed the line to goon status. He's always pushed the envelope, been annoying, talked shit, and tried definitively to get under opponents' skin...but this is pretty much an indefensible, cross the line kind of move.

I don't think this is worthy of a suspension because the only reason it's even being considered for a suspension is because of the Dahntay Jones thing that happened literally the day before. I think they actually made the best of a bad situation by elevating it to a flagrant 2 (deserved) and fining him (deserved) while not hurting the caliber of the play on the floor by suspending him.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #274
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I think the difference is that Wade's kick was an obvious retaliation to the shove/grab, and had nothing to do with anything he was doing on the court at the time.

I don't think Draymond had any less intent with his shot, but it was directly related to his leap and was a move similar to what many players do when trying to draw a foul.

I'm actually really disappointed by it, because I've always known Draymond was a "well, he's our asshole" kind of player...but I feel like he's never actually crossed the line to goon status. He's always pushed the envelope, been annoying, talked shit, and tried definitively to get under opponents' skin...but this is pretty much an indefensible, cross the line kind of move.

I don't think this is worthy of a suspension because the only reason it's even being considered for a suspension is because of the Dahntay Jones thing that happened literally the day before. I think they actually made the best of a bad situation by elevating it to a flagrant 2 (deserved) and fining him (deserved) while not hurting the caliber of the play on the floor by suspending him.

My major hurdle Vince is that if Adams did this to Curry would it have been the same results? I don't think (and that's my opinion) anyone would say that it would have resulted in the same call during the game or after the next day review. The league showed that with Jones suspension. The only answer is that the NBA made a business move which leads to the fine. But who knows anymore as there were people wanting Wade suspended for shooting during the Canadian National Anthem. Maybe suspension is the wrong call but this series might turn ugly near the end resulting in suspensions to start 2016. (like Howard's screen against the Warriors around Iggys neck either last year or the year before in game 5). I guess nuts don't hurt as bad?

Your last statement of not hurting the caliber of play on the court. So now it matters where we are in the playoffs for suspensions? 2006-07 Suns call BS on that.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-23-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #275
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
My major hurdle Vince is that if Adams did this to Curry would it have been the same results?

Maybe not because Adams has a reputation as one of the dirtiest players in the league that has been around for longer than this particular series. Dahntay Jones has a reputation as well. The lesson is that everyone has quite a bit of leeway before they get suspended from a playoff game.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #276
Atocep
Coordinator

If this were the 80s or early 90s there's no way Curry makes it through game 4.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #277
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If this were the 80s or early 90s there's no way Curry makes it through game 4.

If it was the early 80's he wouldn't have made it to halftime.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #278
nol
Banned

Yep, just like all those other times in the 80s and 90s star players got knocked out of playoff games by hard fouls. I remember it like it was yesterday. Now, Draymond Green should probably not expect to get any borderline whistles anytime soon but I fail to see a reason why Oklahoma City would need to 'send a message' when it has already been sending a message by playing better and winning more games in the series so far.

Last edited by nol : 05-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #279
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep, just like all those other times in the 80s and 90s star players got knocked out of playoff games by hard fouls. I remember it like it was yesterday. Now, Draymond Green should probably not expect to get any borderline whistles anytime soon but I fail to see a reason why Oklahoma City would need to 'send a message' when it has already been sending a message by playing better and winning more games in the series so far.

Jordan and Pippen took some absolute beatings against the Bad Boys Pistons teams. Curry wouldn't survive a game getting hit like that. Those hits weren't even retaliation and were by the team winning the series as well.

Pretty sure any of those would stand a decent chance of knocking him out of a game.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-23-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #280
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Bill Laimbeer vs the Celtics - The Greatest Brawls in NBA Playoffs History | Complex

Celtics-Pistons was my thinking where Laimbeer went after Bird in game 3 and Chief decided he had enough shit in game 5 and decided to use Laimbeer as a punching bag in game 5. Good thing this never happens in the playoffs, oh wait they all happened in the playoffs.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #281
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
My major hurdle Vince is that if Adams did this to Curry would it have been the same results? I don't think (and that's my opinion) anyone would say that it would have resulted in the same call during the game or after the next day review. The league showed that with Jones suspension. The only answer is that the NBA made a business move which leads to the fine. But who knows anymore as there were people wanting Wade suspended for shooting during the Canadian National Anthem. Maybe suspension is the wrong call but this series might turn ugly near the end resulting in suspensions to start 2016. (like Howard's screen against the Warriors around Iggys neck either last year or the year before in game 5). I guess nuts don't hurt as bad?

Your last statement of not hurting the caliber of play on the court. So now it matters where we are in the playoffs for suspensions? 2006-07 Suns call BS on that.

You are totally correct in pretty much everything you've said here. I don't think we would have at all seen the same reaction had it been Curry who was being fouled. I think if it's Varejao or Ian Clark (rather than Draymond Green) who kicked someone in the junk in consecutive games, I think they are suspended in a heartbeat. Do I think that a suspension is the right call for that, no matter the player? Not unless the player had a serious history of shenanigans.

I still think there is a world of difference between both what Jones and what Wade did compared to Green. I also think that nol made a good point in that Draymond doesn't have that sort of reputation yet. If Draymond continues to do stuff like this, I hope that he has lost his leash, because this sort of thing should be policed.

And as for the last point - yeah, the moment matters. Should it? Probably not, in an ideal world. But it would be a huge disservice to fans of the game if the series was impacted by a marginal judgement call (which, like it or not, a suspension here would be) that took one of the most talented players in the series out of it. Do you think it was the right call to suspend Stoudemire and Diaw back in 2007? I don't. And if the league has "learned" from that experience, then bravo to them.

If this were a more clear cut indication of a broken rule (Green kicked him after the play was over, for example), then I would completely and totally change my tune. But since this happened in the course of a basketball play, however silly the play might have been, I think the distinction matters.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #282
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:

A poor decision then doesn't justify one now. I am glad Adam Silver has decided to make judgement calls on playoff suspensions rather than follow the book to the letter. But yeah the play itself wasn't great and if this was the regular season I am all for a suspension because of it.

In Raptors news, Lowry and DeRozen might not be as bad as they looked through the first two and a half series. The two conference finals have been exciting so far at least.

Last edited by Zinto : 05-23-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just watched the play, primarily at real time speed, several times. (I hadn't seen it at all, only knew there was a controversy about it).

I don't think you can suspend a guy for something that was not obviously intentional, and this looks more like awkward clumsy bungling missed flail for a bogus foul than "I'm gonna kick this guy in the nuts"

That said, it kinda reinforces my image of DG as kind of an unlikable bitch that also may not be entirely all there & pushes me considerably closer to a position of "y'know, I kinda hope OKC beats them now".

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-23-2016 at 10:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #284
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I agree it wasn't intentional.

The NBA ruling however confused the crap out of me.
Either it's a flagrant 1 they got the call right and let's move on, or it was a flagrant 2 and he should have missed a half. How do you upgrade it to a flagrant 2 and no missed time.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #285
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That said, it kinda reinforces my image of DG as kind of an unlikable bitch that also may not be entirely all there & pushes me considerably closer to a position of "y'know, I kinda hope OKC beats them now".

I will give you unlikable bitch in spades. But not entirely all there is definitely not his game. He's the guy who is cerebral and trying to get into the other player's head. Whether or not he's choosing the correct way to do it is another story, but he's definitely not an unintelligent player. Which is funny, because if you listen to him talk (without listening to what he is saying) he sounds a lot like he's not all there. But if you listen to what he is actually saying, he's on top of his game 9 times out of 10.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 AM   #286
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I will give you unlikable bitch in spades. But not entirely all there is definitely not his game. He's the guy who is cerebral and trying to get into the other player's head. Whether or not he's choosing the correct way to do it is another story, but he's definitely not an unintelligent player. Which is funny, because if you listen to him talk (without listening to what he is saying) he sounds a lot like he's not all there. But if you listen to what he is actually saying, he's on top of his game 9 times out of 10.

+1

He should actually be a likeable player, he does everything well and wasnt blessed with the great athletic ability some of the other All-Stars in the league have. He has gotten dirty and arrogant within the past 18 months. I liked him better when he first came into the league.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-24-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #287
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think part of it is that he hasn't actually changed, but there's much more scrutiny on him since the team has been doing amazing things. With all the time between games in the playoffs, it's really easy to read into the things that are happening. I'm much less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt after two straight games where he catches an opposing player (the SAME opposing player) in the groin, but for the most part, I think he likes to push the boundaries while staying within the rules. I'm also very cognizant of the fact that he plays for my favorite team and that I'm much more likely to give him additional leeway because of it, so it's probably fair to say that he's a little bit more of an asshole than I give him credit for.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:50 AM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But not entirely all there is definitely not his game. He's the guy who is cerebral and trying to get into the other player's head.

Just to clarify, I don't mean that I think he's dumb. I mean that I've increasingly started to think that he's at least a little bit batshit crazy.

There's a difference.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #289
Groundhog
Coordinator

I also don't think anything has changed with Green. He's a guy who will range from loved to loathed based entirely on whether he's playing for an underdog, or a championship favourite.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #290
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Fair point, and possibly an accurate statement about him. I'd like to think no, but he's danced close enough to the edge that I can't summarily dismiss the idea.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 AM   #291
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pretty sure any of those would stand a decent chance of knocking him out of a game.

If Steph Curry's game was trying to drive to the basket and dunk on people every time down you'd have a point, but then again he weighs just as much as Jordan did during the 80s so it wouldn't be much of one. The whole point of why Steph Curry's good is that if you set any screen for him, the big strong guy who's supposed to be beating him up has to guard him 25-30 feet from the basket or else he makes 10+ threes.

Getting whacked by someone does not result in the type of foul that takes you out of the game unless you're going fast and/or jumping high enough to actually injure something on the landing, or if you got a concussion, which doesn't have anything to do with how "tough" you are.

Last edited by nol : 05-24-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #292
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

For the record include me in on those that dont think it was something done with clear purpose. Watching numerous of his drives lately and he does a lot of them Euro step awkward looking shots. Once he got bumped it could have very easily got him off balance enough to "accidentally" groin shot Adams. I still think he needs to take responsibility for it though. Accidentally or not its not something that should happen frequently.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-24-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #293
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It would have been nice if Stern exhibited the same discretion as Silver back in 2007 when the league had plenty of discretion available (Amare and Boris took two steps off the bench and didn't engage any Spurs after the Horry hip-check on Nash):

Watch 1:15:

So, a little salt in the wounds for Suns fans - but I think the right decisions (in both cases) was a fine and no suspension. Atleast the right call was made here.

Last edited by Arles : 05-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #294
whomario
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, Biyombo is earning himself some serious money right now. Needs to be more consistent, but his ability to protect the rim, rebound and guard face up 4s and contain guards on switches is pretty apealing, especially with the rising cap ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #295
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I really hope Westbrook doesn't end up in yellow and purple.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #296
MrBug708
Head Coach

Everyone should come home!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Meanwhile, Biyombo is earning himself some serious money right now. Needs to be more consistent, but his ability to protect the rim, rebound and guard face up 4s and contain guards on switches is pretty apealing, especially with the rising cap ...

Yeah, I see a zero percent chance of him picking up that 3million-ish option for next season. Won't he get something like 3-5 times that amount?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #298
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Everyone should come home!

The only part of me that wants to see that happen is that TWC SportsNet shows every freaking game and I'm not sure if I'd watch one next season with the current roster. I'm just not sure I could put up with Lakers fans if he came back.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #299
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Thunder just absolutely punishing the Warriors for the 2nd straight game. Curry has been a non factor this game.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #300
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Everyone not named Klay has been a non-factor. Hat tip to the Thunder, don't even recognize this team right now.