Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #3151
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

6-12-18 months after release PS4/XB1 games are not dropping price anywhere near close to what they are with Steam(or similar services). Which is why I said they are only equal footing day 1. So thanks for making my point.

I really don't care enough to argue with your stupid anymore.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-04-2015 at 10:57 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #3152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
6-12-18 months after release PS4/XB1 games are not dropping price anywhere near close to what they are with Steam(or similar services). Which is why I said they are only equal footing day 1. So thanks for making my point.

I use steam to purchase cheap PC games and love it. With that said, I think you're shopping retail only if you don't think console games get cheaper. I can buy games for $15 after a year that were $60 before. That's a pretty good value. But as mentioned in the previous post, the value in consoles that last 8-10 years is excellent.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #3153
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I hate to tell you this, but this is happening currently so it's not a fallacy at all. The PS3 and 360 user base is as big as the next gen base right now, now nine and ten years after their release respectively. I'd argue that people that bought those consoles early on got an amazing bang for their buck and the games coming out over the last year or two may not be cutting edge, but they're still excellent gaming experiences and very enjoyable to use.

It's still big because the offering of next gen games have sucked so far. And with consoles not allowing backwards compatibility, you have to hang on to your old console to be able to play all the games you bought.

Quote:
Bang for your buck has little to do with a comparison of game prices. I'm paying $400 for a console that lasts me 8-10 years. PC owners are going to be upgrading every 4 years. Also, I love the fact that I don't have all the issues that come with PC releases. I just pop it in and play.

How many of those launch consoles made it the full 8-10 years? You just spent the other day talking about Microsoft's terrible failure rate and Sony's wasn't all that great either.

The 8-10 year cycle they tout is a pipedream. Within 5 years a big chunk of the country will have 4K resolution in their homes and gamers will want to utilize those screens. Technology behind graphics cards are growing so much faster than they did during previous console cycles.

So you're still getting less hardware for your dollar. Paying more for games with less selection that you can't mod. Putting a time limit on how long you can play those games (no backwards compatibility). And paying for an online service for some reason too.

You're right that a PC owner might want to upgrade their computer in 4 years. Instead of paying Sony $500 over this cycle for the right to play games online, they can instead use that money to upgrade their computer and actually improve their gameplay experience.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #3154
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

MBBF is back to the PC gamers have to game in Ultra 240 FPS mode despite the PS4 playing medium-low at 30 FPS.

Remember guys, consoles have changed and now last 10 years, but apparently in bizzaro world PC's still need updates every four years.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #3155
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My slightly older than four year old PC pushes Witcher 3 to 60 FPS in 1080 with Ultra textures. Why am I upgrading it MBBF?

Last edited by dubb93 : 09-04-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #3156
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
No, they don't have to be, but this was a discussion of value and console games cost significantly more than PC games(unless you are buying day 1) despite being years behind the curve.

It's not the case for day one either. Most releases you can get for around $40 on preorder or on release day, sometimes even cheaper. I just picked up Mad Max for $27.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #3157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It's not the case for day one either. Most releases you can get for around $40 on preorder or on release day, sometimes even cheaper. I just picked up Mad Max for $27.

Most EA Sports releases can be found in the $40-45 range with a preorder.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #3158
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Also, I love the fact that I don't have all the issues that come with PC releases. I just pop it in and play.

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Buy a game on Steam, hit the Install button and then after a 40GB download, play. On the console, insert your disk, do a 40GB install off the Bluray drive, run the 600MB update, and then play.

I think the days of just putting in the disc and playing are also long gone. At this point, it's probably a relatively equal experience.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #3159
Kodos
Resident Alien

When did this become the "console owners are idiots" thread?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #3160
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

It isn't. I'm pretty sure most if not all of us are console owners.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #3161
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like my console for sports games and huge games like The Witcher and Batman. I prefer to play on a 55" HDTV than my 24" monitor.

I have a decent pc and I use it mainly for text sims and 4x games, so in my world, it's a perfect combination.

I buy all digital on my console so I don't have to worry about disks and all that crap. Just click on Madden or NHL and off I go.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-04-2015 at 05:59 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #3162
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

It isn't even console vs. pc. MBBF pro PS4/anti PC arguments are so outdated that it would like me arguing why you should choose a modern PC over a ps2. He obviously hasn't looked at serious PC gaming since the early 2000's since he is an expert on how painful PC gaming was back then.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #3163
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yeah, I may have started the hijack some, but I own both a ps4 and X1, my intent wasn't to insult.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #3164
Kodos
Resident Alien

MBBF draws out the arguer in all of us.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #3165
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
It isn't even console vs. pc. MBBF pro PS4/anti PC arguments are so outdated that it would like me arguing why you should choose a modern PC over a ps2. He obviously hasn't looked at serious PC gaming since the early 2000's since he is an expert on how painful PC gaming was back then.

I game more on my PC than I do a console. I usually purchase a new computer every 4-5 years just to allow me to play Civ and FM at a decent level.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #3166
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I game more on my PC than I do a console. I usually purchase a new computer every 4-5 years just to allow me to play Civ and FM at a decent level.

What are you buying? A premade Packard Bell?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #3167
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah if you're just playing FM and Civ, you don't really need much power. You can play both on 5-7 year old computers just fine. Might run into some slowdown if you have a ton of active leagues simming or playing a huge map in the late game. But you can just swap in a new CPU.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #3168
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah if you're just playing FM and Civ, you don't really need much power. You can play both on 5-7 year old computers just fine. Might run into some slowdown if you have a ton of active leagues simming or playing a huge map in the late game. But you can just swap in a new CPU.

Oh, you'll run into a ton of slowdown. I can't play at that speed, especially on FM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #3169
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh, you'll run into a ton of slowdown. I can't play at that speed, especially on FM.

Link the specs on your 4 year old gaming PC. If you have a 2500k, 8GB of RAM, and a non-budget 500 series GPU, which every 4-5 year old gaming PC should have, you should not be having ANY slowdown on those games.

Last edited by dubb93 : 09-07-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #3170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What are you buying? A premade Packard Bell?

Emachines FTW
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #3171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments by Bach. I'm not sure we can reach all-digital next generation without MUCH bigger HDD's in the console on release OR the option to swap out HDD's with standard model HDD's (i.e. no proprietary HDD's). Outside of one of those options (especially the second one), I don't think it's an option for most gamers.

The “next generation will be a whole new game,” says original Xbox boss | VG247

A bit more No Man's Sky info......

No Man's Sky Update: Hello Games talks NEW in-depth gameplay details, factions, and possible VR support; Pre-order up, costs $73 : Trending News : Venture Capital Post
Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #3172
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The No Man's Sky article is two weeks old.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #3173
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Plus, there exists the ability today to add a non-proprietary HDD to this gen's consoles. I currently have a 5TB drive hooked up to my Xbox One.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #3174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
The No Man's Sky article is two weeks old.

SIAP
Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #3175
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would expect this generation will be pretty damn close to all digital by the time it wraps up. I don't think it's distant at all.

I know I treat it as 100% digital. My fiance, who had previously refused the idea of paying $60 for a game and not getting a physical disc/box, has made the switch to digital as well(without any coaxing).

It's just nice to browse from your couch and order something whenever you want. It will just naturally become the norm. But this is something consumers will do on their own without guidance as long as you provide the tools, MS was stupid to try to mandate it.

And who really misses swapping discs? Not that that should even be required once installed, though it is for some dumb reason.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-08-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #3176
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd love for it to be all-digital but it seems like they don't want it to become that. The digital versions lags behind in price drops significantly. NBA 2K15 is still $60 on both systems for a digital copy. Can buy a disk for $20.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #3177
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting comments by Bach. I'm not sure we can reach all-digital next generation without MUCH bigger HDD's in the console on release OR the option to swap out HDD's with standard model HDD's (i.e. no proprietary HDD's). Outside of one of those options (especially the second one), I don't think it's an option for most gamers.

The “next generation will be a whole new game,” says original Xbox boss | VG247

A bit more No Man's Sky info......

No Man's Sky Update: Hello Games talks NEW in-depth gameplay details, factions, and possible VR support; Pre-order up, costs $73 : Trending News : Venture Capital Post

And the release date is .....?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #3178
Grover
Pro Starter

The Westport Independent - Double Zero One Zero

This looks outstanding, especially if you were a fan of Papers Please

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #3179
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd love for it to be all-digital but it seems like they don't want it to become that. The digital versions lags behind in price drops significantly. NBA 2K15 is still $60 on both systems for a digital copy. Can buy a disk for $20.

I'd view it as the opposite, if that's really true. Their perception is that the market associates more value with a digital version than with a boxed version. So they price it accordingly.

I don't think it changes the inevitable extinction of physical media. That's a less interesting discussion.

A more interesting discussion is if and when a streaming service, where zero content is stored locally and everything is rendered on a server(in the "cloud") starts becoming a dominant platform. The infancy of this tech is already out there today with Steam(in house only for now) and PS Now, just needs to continue to mature.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #3180
RainMaker
General Manager

I always assumed the digital pricing was because they didn't want to piss off their retailers (Gamestop, Target, etc).
Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #3181
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm hard pressed to believe they have that kind of clout anymore. This isn't 2001. Amazon, NetFlix and iTunes won and consumer buying habits have already changed. Games will follow suit and there's no need to play nice.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #3182
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
I always assumed the digital pricing was because they didn't want to piss off their retailers (Gamestop, Target, etc).

Interesting- I always just assumed the price drop for the physical media was associated with inventory; digital copies take no space and represent no real inventory- and therefore no overhead (not to mention the physical space required). What's Amazon to do when they have 5,000 copies of a 6 month old Witcher 3 game on the shelves? What compels a buyer to wait for the physical copy to be delivered to their door (even if it is just 2 days) when they can download for free in hours for the same price? The price on the physical inventory has to drop, right?.....Am I missing something????
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #3183
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

True Broadband has to get more readily available Id think before pure digital can be a thing.

Last game we purchased a digital copy I think took 3 days to get...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #3184
Groundhog
Coordinator

In the Australia PS store the launch day prices are comparable for digital - but generally a touch more expensive, depending on titles. I still prefer digital for ease. If I feel overly peeved about it, I can always buy US PS Store cards online and buy it for the heavily reduced US prices via my US PSN account.

Last edited by Groundhog : 09-08-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #3185
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

At launch, it's partly about that and partly about "yay no middleman we get more of the $60"

but there's really no excuse for a digital game still being $60 when it's $20 for a physical copy.

I'm less inclined to give them shit over pricing versus used, because people who buy used don't only do so because of price. Someone who buys used at $14.99 wouldn't necessarily buy digital instead at $14.99 (or $9.99 or whatever)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #3186
Mota
College Benchwarmer

In the land of digital, I'm always happy buying my games on Steam at much discounted pricing while the console maker's idea of a sale is 30% off a 12 month old game. No thank you.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #3187
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Price cuts in Asia on the PS4. Will be interesting to see if Sony has something similar planned for their fall event just before the holidays in Europe or NA.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #3188
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Accidental leak by one of the Naughty Dog guys yesterday on Twitch stream. Referenced that one of the staff was "in charge of the facial animations on all three Uncharted games and the first TLOU game." That was followed by "Did I just say the first TLOU game?" and an awkward pause.

Not surprising that a sequel is coming, but I don't think they wanted it out quite yet.

Stream archive:

Twitch
Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #3189
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
Interesting- I always just assumed the price drop for the physical media was associated with inventory; digital copies take no space and represent no real inventory- and therefore no overhead (not to mention the physical space required). What's Amazon to do when they have 5,000 copies of a 6 month old Witcher 3 game on the shelves? What compels a buyer to wait for the physical copy to be delivered to their door (even if it is just 2 days) when they can download for free in hours for the same price? The price on the physical inventory has to drop, right?.....Am I missing something????

The nice thing with physical and why I only buy physical console game copies is I can trade it in to Game stop towards another game. It is also helpful if I get a game and I realized quickly it is not for me and can sell it back for a good chunk of change. I will never get a lot on trade in but alot more than zero like with digital copies.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #3190
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

Accidental leak by one of the Naughty Dog guys yesterday on Twitch stream. Referenced that one of the staff was "in charge of the facial animations on all three Uncharted games and the first TLOU game." That was followed by "Did I just say the first TLOU game?" and an awkward pause.

Not surprising that a sequel is coming, but I don't think they wanted it out quite yet.

Stream archive:

Twitch

I'm very likely in the minority here, but that is one game I really don't want a sequel to. Not because I didn't like it, but I feel the experience will be cheapened with a sequel.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #3191
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
The nice thing with physical and why I only buy physical console game copies is I can trade it in to Game stop towards another game. It is also helpful if I get a game and I realized quickly it is not for me and can sell it back for a good chunk of change. I will never get a lot on trade in but alot more than zero like with digital copies.

You would do a lot better selling them on Amazon marketplace and/or flipping them 1 for 1 somewhere like http://gametz.com.

On Amazon you would get the price cash that GameStop sells them for used minus shipping rather than whatever GameStop is willing to give you to make money off you. You can ship the games for a couple of dollars. Last time I shipped last year I could shop a game from anywhere between $1.80-$2.50 depending how thick the manual is and how many disks the game includes.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #3192
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
You would do a lot better selling them on Amazon marketplace and/or flipping them 1 for 1 somewhere like http://gametz.com.

On Amazon you would get the price cash that GameStop sells them for used minus shipping rather than whatever GameStop is willing to give you to make money off you. You can ship the games for a couple of dollars. Last time I shipped last year I could shop a game from anywhere between $1.80-$2.50 depending how thick the manual is and how many disks the game includes.

That is awesome and thanks for the tip!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #3193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting move by Gamestop. They're not giving up without a fight.

Gamestop refusing to sell digital bundles

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-16-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #3194
Groundhog
Coordinator

Opted for NBA 2K16 on PC this year vs. PS4. If not for Madden, I'd have not touched my PS4 for probably 4-5 months.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #3195
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

And No Man's Sky is literally the only PS4 title on the horizon that I care about, although it will come to PC as well. I do expect to be underwhelmed by it, though.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #3196
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
dola

And No Man's Sky is literally the only PS4 title on the horizon that I care about, although it will come to PC as well. I do expect to be underwhelmed by it, though.

I plan on buying it, but I don't know how the game is going to keep me interested. Solo exploration is likely going to get boring for me sooner rather than later. I get the feeling the game is going to be a blast for about a week and then my playtime will drastically drop off.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #3197
Groundhog
Coordinator

I do too, but yeah, I think the whole 'procedurally generated' thing is a bit overdone now - everything becomes a bit same-y after awhile.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #3198
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm jealous No Man's Sky isn't coming out on the XB1 yet.. but I do think it will get boring after awhile, like most games.. hope I'm wrong.. I'll be reading impressions from the ps4 crowd though.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #3199
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm jealous No Man's Sky isn't coming out on the XB1 yet.. but I do think it will get boring after awhile, like most games.. hope I'm wrong.. I'll be reading impressions from the ps4 crowd though.

You do know it's coming to Steam, right?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #3200
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You do know it's coming to Steam, right?

Now I do.