Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #3201
mckerney
Coordinator

Played through Thomas Was Alone tonight which is currently $4.99 on Steam. One of the best platformers in a year where there were a bunch of good platformers released, and after The Walking Dead probably the best story telling of any game this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #3202
Qrusher14242
High School JV

yeah i'm just waiting for Fallout New Vegas to go on sale....so far the game i'm most playing a F2P game called Dragon nest lol too addictive
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #3203
Ryan S
Quarterback

According to Greenman Gaming, they will be doing Civ 5 Gods and Kings at 85% off on Sunday which should make it around $4.50
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #3204
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
yeah i'm just waiting for Fallout New Vegas to go on sale....so far the game i'm most playing a F2P game called Dragon nest lol too addictive

Ack, you missed New Egg selling discs for $3.99 before Christmas!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #3205
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Age of Fear? It's $1.99 on GMG and Bill Harris has talked about this game before. Seems like a pretty cool old school turned based fantasy game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #3206
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
According to Greenman Gaming, they will be doing Civ 5 Gods and Kings at 85% off on Sunday which should make it around $4.50

It occurs to me that the 30% code might work on this, which would bring it down even further to a little over $3. Certainly worth trying.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #3207
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It occurs to me that the 30% code might work on this, which would bring it down even further to a little over $3. Certainly worth trying.

I think it would, I used it on AOE and got it for $1.40.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #3208
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone play Age of Fear? It's $1.99 on GMG and Bill Harris has talked about this game before. Seems like a pretty cool old school turned based fantasy game.

By the way, this has been a fantastic game.. especially for $1.40.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #3209
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

XCOM: Enemy Unknown $24.98 @GamersGate

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #3210
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
XCOM: Enemy Unknown $24.98 @GamersGate

I think that it is $17.50 at Green Man Gaming if you use the 30% code (on their blog)

It's a 24 hour deal, I have no idea when it ends.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #3211
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

$3.15 for Civ V Gods & Kings from GMG with the 30% off code... Can't check out fast enough.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #3212
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

For a very casual CIV player, is it worth it to pay $5 for the upgrade to the GOY edition of CIV V?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #3213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
dola -

For a very casual CIV player, is it worth it to pay $5 for the upgrade to the GOY edition of CIV V?

I'd say yes. I think the additional leaders are well worth the extra $5.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #3214
Izulde
Head Coach

The GOTY edition is what made Civ V for me. I can't go back to Civ IV and stacks of doom and V is now as fun a gameplay experience for me as IV was.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #3215
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Thought about it and finally snagged the 2K Strategy Super Pack from Amazon (Civ IV Complete, Civ V, God and Kings, plus Stronghold everything). Got a nice surprise when checking out as they knocked another $5 off so it all came to $15 for all that. Didn't have to pay for any of it as I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas. The nice discount just means I can get more stuff.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #3216
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I have a copy of civ 2 znd civ 3 . do I need a copy of 4 or 5? I've minorly tried a multiplayer game of 4 with others but didn't enjoy it. probably because of the people I played with. So which one should I get if i'm a noob?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #3217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I have a copy of civ 2 znd civ 3 . do I need a copy of 4 or 5? I've minorly tried a multiplayer game of 4 with others but didn't enjoy it. probably because of the people I played with. So which one should I get if i'm a noob?

Civ 5 without question. Really love the game with the hex format and the fighting mechanics. Far less micromanaging needed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #3218
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Yay....Crusader Kings at 75% at Steam.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #3219
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Oh and I meant Crusader Kings 2.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #3220
PilotMan
Head Coach

Picked up Kingdoms of Amalur and DLC for 10 bucks (Steam has it for $79) after my $5 discount from Amazon.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-02-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #3221
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Oh and I meant Crusader Kings 2.

Shame that you didn't have it already. Shame, sir!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #3222
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not sure what the story is here, but Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition appears to be 100% on Steam right now. I've not had that much interest in the game, but hey you can't beat that price The Chaos Edition is 50% off as well. Age of Empires III Complete is 75% off as well. Fallen Enchantress is 50% off too.

And of course in the time it took to post this, its been changed to 75% off. Worth it?

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-03-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Price Change
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3223
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Picked up Kingdoms of Amalur and DLC for 10 bucks (Steam has it for $79) after my $5 discount from Amazon.

I considered that, but ended up with X-Com: Enemy Unkown for $20. I haven't gotten into Origin. Does anyone have any problems with it, or is it basically just like Steam?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #3224
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I considered that, but ended up with X-Com: Enemy Unkown for $20. I haven't gotten into Origin. Does anyone have any problems with it, or is it basically just like Steam?

It's just a shittier version of Steam. I typically download the programs I want then add the shortcuts to Steam and just launch them from Steam anyway.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #3225
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's just a shittier version of Steam. I typically download the programs I want then add the shortcuts to Steam and just launch them from Steam anyway.

That's my impression.

The only game I have ever bought and played on Origins was "Mass Effect 3". I have never had any issue with Origins, but I never use it unless I am playing that game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #3226
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I refuse to go anywhere near Origins.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #3227
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, I would have bought Mass Effect 3 day one if I could have gotten it on Steam.

Instead I still haven't purchased it and won't unless it's offered on Steam.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #3228
PilotMan
Head Coach

Why exactly? I've gotten stuff from Stardock (now Gamestop), Origin, Steam, Amazon, Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG and so on. The biggest problem I have is remembering where it was that I got something.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #3229
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Why exactly? I've gotten stuff from Stardock (now Gamestop), Origin, Steam, Amazon, Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG and so on. The biggest problem I have is remembering where it was that I got something.

I bought 2 copies of Civ 4 because of all of these damn services. I pre-ordered on 1 and bought on release day on another.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #3230
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Because almost everything comes on Steam. Really Mass Effect 3 is the only game I can think of I wanted that wasn't there. Given that, I'm not going to manage several gaming platforms if one pretty much does the trick.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #3231
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've bought from GOG, Amazon, Steam, and Gamersgate. I refuse to touch Origin for 2 reasons:

1) I don't trust EA with a 10 foot pole. I will play their games at times, but I don't want any kind of EA software that is running in a Steam-like fashion. Screw that.

2) I don't really want another Steam-like anything from anyone on my system. I just want one place to go to play my games. I didn't buy Lego Batman from GMG the other day because it required something called Capsule. No thanks. I will buy from other places if I can add the game to Steam, but I don't want a half-dozen 'game houses' installed on my computers, all with their own accounts, acheivements, etc.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #3232
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

EA won't release games on Steam b/c they want to sell you point codes that you use to redeem for DLC. Think Microsoft points, except in the case of Bioware games they are called Bioware points.

Steam won't allow this and EA/Bioware won't budge so get used to not having many EA games on Steam(I'm fairly certain they plan on rolling out crap like this for more games, confuses customers and gets them to spend more money than they really needed to, plus EA DLC that uses these points seem to never actually go on sell) and probably no Bioware games.

EDIT: What was the issue with BF 3? Was it the browser hub for the game?

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3233
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

And yes Origin is a huge pile of crap. I bought the ME collection from them. I had to download and install ME 2 four times to play it.

If you use the ME config tool it causes the game to completely brick. There is no workaround. You have to uninstall, download it again, and install it again. The game simply won't launch through Origin.

In order to carry your save game over from ME 1 it advises you to use the config tool(to tell the game where your save is located). You also have to use the config tool to take the game out of crappy resolutions(it doesn't default to a high resolution) and adjust any graphics settings. Doing any of this bricks your game. EA has been aware of this for quite some time and when I was looking for a solution to this it seems they don't care.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #3234
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have had no problem with Origins. It's pretty much just another forgotten icon on my desktop more often than not. ME3 worked just fine for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #3235
PineTar
High School JV

Patching FIFA 13 through Origin sucked ass. Only time I've ever seen a BSOD on my Win 7 machine. I can't foresee an Origin-exclusive game that would motivate me enough to endure the Origin experience again. That said, I can't stop playing FIFA.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #3236
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Ditto.

Steam is easily my favorite.

Amazon is good. Excellent deals and it's easy to get your downloads again. I had a problem with FM 2011 with the Amazon copy protection that no one could/would resolve. But that was more a problem with the stupid copy protection scheme than with Amazon. Crusader Kings II, Dark Souls, Tropico 4, Shogun 2 and others have been purchased via Amazon.

I've used GamersGate to get more European-centric games like Settlers 7 and Dawn of Discovery. I had a little problem with getting the right key for DoD, but they resolved it.

I don't much like Origin, because the software is clunky and I have zero faith in EA. I do like that you can add your existing EA games to it, even if you didn't order them online. Very convenient. But it's EA and given their propensity to shut down servers and online components, Origin remains my "online vendor of last resort".

GOG is a dream, though I've found that with pretty much all the old games I've purchased from them I just don't play. Sometimes you can't go home again.

I've started using GameFly a bit, mainly because I had an account with Direct2Drive before they were purchased by GameFly. I got the Citiex XL 2012 expansion from them along with Kingdom of Amalur - both were outstanding deals I think one of my D2D games never made it got GameFly, but I don't recall which one.

GameStop has my old Stardock games.

I got Age of Empires III complete from Microsoft for $.10 way back when.

In fact, the only one I haven't used is GreenManGaming.

I think I'm gonna need to make a spreadsheet.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #3237
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I think I'm gonna need to make a spreadsheet.

That is one of the reasons why it is useful to add non steam games to your steam library, it makes it easy to see if you own the game at a glance.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #3238
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
That is one of the reasons why it is useful to add non steam games to your steam library, it makes it easy to see if you own the game at a glance.

I have. :-) Not because I don't know what I already own, but just to make it easier to launch games from one spot.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #3239
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Sometimes my added non-steam games disappear from my steam list. That is a pain.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #3240
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Sometimes my added non-steam games disappear from my steam list. That is a pain.

wow - i had a suspicion that happened to me too, but just assumed that i was losing my mind.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #3241
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Survival Horror fans rejoice!

The grandfather of stealth games is on sale on Steam today! The entire Thief Franchise for $6.74!

And Amnesia: Dark Descent is 4.99.

I'd still put Thief as my favorite game of all time.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #3242
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
wow - i had a suspicion that happened to me too, but just assumed that i was losing my mind.

Nope. It has happened often enough that I stopped adding non steam games to it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #3243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bought both KOTOR games.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3244
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I bought both KOTOR games.

Be sure to check out the PC Gaming Wiki for things like wide screen resolution support, controller support, better movies/music, and restored content to add parts that were cut from the game.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords - PCGamingWiki PCGW - fixes and workarounds
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #3245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cool. Thanks. They were like $5 for both during the sale.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #3246
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Um.. I don't know if its a mistake but right now Steam has Sleeping Dogs for less than five bucks. Jump on that shit while you can just in case.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #3247
stevew
Hall Of Famer

thanks. why not for 5 bucks.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #3248
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yep just picked Sleeping Dogs plus the Dragon Masters pack which includes the 5 best DLC for a grand total of 5.20. Couldn't pass that up.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #3249
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

There's a Hi-Res pack in the DLC that is free that you might want to grab before you play
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #3250
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Um.. I don't know if its a mistake but right now Steam has Sleeping Dogs for less than five bucks. Jump on that shit while you can just in case.
Man, it changed back literally seconds before I purchased. Came up with an error when I clicked purchase for myself, dropped back to cart and it said price of item in cart changed.