Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #301
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I did stay up to watch the last frakkin special (missed it last Mon?). Pretty fun. I really am going to miss those characters.

Instead of Caprica, I wish they spun off a BSG - next generation series, it would be fascinating to see how their descendents went on.

Also, forgot to mention the Galen scene with Tory was great.

Even with all its faults (i.e. Baltar), its been a while since another series has caught my attention. Kudos to the BSG crew ... I think 'frak' will stay in my vernacular for a while.

All due respect but if you mean a spin off of the descendants on earth walking around in loin clothes and picking berries no thanks
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #302
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Methinks Kara was a "Christ" character. In that she had actually died, was resurrected (by "God"), and led humanity to its future.

That for me seems a tough pill to swallow I mean Starbuck as a living breathing human was a real son of a bitch. I think abetter person for a biblical comparison would of been Abraham or Saint Paul I think who was a Roman soldier and later found God and became a christian or one of the various characters from the old testament that slips my mind right now that weren't the greatest people and found god and turned it around. I did like the whole stuff with her Dad that was cool.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-21-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #303
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Methinks Kara was a "Christ" character. In that she had actually died, was resurrected (by "God"), and led humanity to its future.

After thinking about it, I must agree. She's the messiah of the fleet.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #304
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
That for me seems a tough pill to swallow I mean Starbuck as a living breathing human was a real son of a bitch. I think abetter person for a biblical comparison would of been Abraham or Saint Paul I think who was a Roman soldier and later found God and became a christian or one of the various characters from the old testament that slips my mind right now that weren't the greatest people and found god and turned it around. I did like the whole stuff with her Dad that was cool.

Christ was considered as the messiah. Thrace is the messiah of the fleet.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #305
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I always thought that RDM would have been painting himself into a corner what with all the references to a "higher power" manipulating behind the scenes throughout the series:

- The Pythian prophecies coming true (at first, everthing seemed coincidental, but it soon became clear that a higher power was at work)
- Baltar's "hand of god" moment in season one.
- Baltar's praying and saving of a young boy afflicted with meningitis in exchange for his life.
- Kara Thrace leading them to Earth
- Everything else falling into place.

I never expected RDM actually pointing out and saying "Hey, it's the God character I've been inserting into the storyline for the past four years. Hello. I've been hinting at it for the past four seasons, it's just that you refuse to see it or believe it."

Sure, I can understand people not liking the finale, but I loved it. It was a fitting and tongue-in-cheek end to the best show on TV in the past five years.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-22-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #306
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
But I think that goes to the question of why does God (in whatever form you worship) allow massive pain and suffering.

One thing I forget to mention about the episode that I thought was a very nice touch ... the incorporation of the original show's theme song into the scene where the Galactica is flying into the sun. I think they did the something similar in the miniseries. Very nice.

I loved that touch. I always loved the original show, grew to dislike its camping "everything has a happy ending" way of writing (thanks dumbass 80's life) but still loved the show itself. The theme song was something I used to play on my tape player as a kid to help me go to sleep at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Well you have officially shown what kind of viewer you are. Sorry, but if you didn't get satisfactory Sci-Fi answers to that after the finale, there is something wrong with you as a viewer, not something wrong with the show.

I've been saying this all along. Its been pretty obvious. I'm sorry you couldn't move beyond these issues BE.

Quote:
I did stay up to watch the last frakkin special (missed it last Mon?). Pretty fun. I really am going to miss those characters.

Instead of Caprica, I wish they spun off a BSG - next generation series, it would be fascinating to see how their descendents went on.

Also, forgot to mention the Galen scene with Tory was great.

Even with all its faults (i.e. Baltar), its been a while since another series has caught my attention. Kudos to the BSG crew ... I think 'frak' will stay in my vernacular for a while.

Definitely a show I will go back and watch numerous times. Agree wholeheartedly with these points (bold)

All in all I loved a lot of things they did at the end. I felt they rushed it a bit but there was SO much storyline built up in this series and they only had so many episodes to end it in so I think they did the best they could with the time they had.

I noted someone disliked the missile attack that destroyed the colony, can you explain why? I thought the dead body accidentally eliminating or at least severely damaging the colony (aka a plot point that keeps the cylons from following the human/cylon group) was a nice touch?

I've never bee one to collect a TV series on DVD but this will probably be the first one I add. There is just so much in this series to enjoy, whether its the first season and the "escape at all costs" direction, the second season and its weaker but just as interesting "survival of the race" angle, or the last 2 where it becomes more philosophical and a "thinker's" story.

I love it. It was more than I could have ever expected from a remake of one of my favorite shows of all time.

Best Science Fiction Series ever created for television.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #307
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I've been saying this all along. Its been pretty obvious. I'm sorry you couldn't move beyond these issues BE.

Yeah, it sucked they never came up with a reasonable explanation for all the anachronisms. But really, nothing is ever out of place is a show where "well, god did it" is used as an explanation. No need for logic when you have holy magic to justify your ridiculous costuming, etc.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #308
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Btw, anyone else reminded of "Good Omens' by Pratchett & Gaiman in the final scene?

And Bedazzled?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #309
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Yeah, it sucked they never came up with a reasonable explanation for all the anachronisms. But really, nothing is ever out of place is a show where "well, god did it" is used as an explanation. No need for logic when you have holy magic to justify your ridiculous costuming, etc.

The "show" isn't saying anything of the kind, its leaving up to your interpretation.

As for the so called anachronisms there is a very plausible and sensible reasoning. "this has all happened before and it will all happen again" its the basis for the entire show.

If as the show suggests, our Earth and its human population have a direct connection with the survivors of the 13 tribes, it makes perfect sense that creatures developing from the same genetic stock develop tools, items, customs and styles that are very similar to their ancestors.

In that vein the use of such props in the show is perfectly acceptable because, as has been said over and over again, They're just representations that the show uses to allow us to understand what they're supposed to be.

I'm sorry You can't see or understand that or that you seem to think every single item should look and feel completely different, but as I and others have said, thats your problem not the shows.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #310
Bad-example
College Starter

Meh. If you think they were justified in using all those anachronisms, more power to you. I say they were being lazy and cheap and illogical. I guess I didn't appreciate the fanboy ability to overlook glaring errors. It is one thing to recognize and acknowledge mistakes and claim they don't bother you. It is an entirely different scenario to bend over backwards to try and explain things that clearly have no reasonable explanation.

Sorry, this show triggered my bullshit detector on a regular basis. They ultimately ended with the biggest piece of bullshit, the god angle. Turns out this show was little more than John from Cincinnati with rocket ships.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head}

Pretty much throughout the life of the show I was aware that there was likely to be a significant role for some higher power, whether they go with God, Ronzoni, or whatever. And I don't watch the frackin show but I knew that. And now there's apparently some sort of upset because they stuck with it? Huh?

Heck, the original concept starting with Glen Larson had a number of theological influences, Mormonism in particular.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #312
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe, JIMG, that a lot of people hoped the religious parts were just a sideshow and not central.

And why do people keep responding to Bad-example? Let him stay in his strange bubble alone, k?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe, JIMG, that a lot of people hoped the religious parts were just a sideshow and not central.

That kind of seems like watching Seinfeld and thinking there would eventually be a plot isn't it? Whatever I guess, just strikes me a little strange.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #314
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I noted someone disliked the missile attack that destroyed the colony, can you explain why? I thought the dead body accidentally eliminating or at least severely damaging the colony (aka a plot point that keeps the cylons from following the human/cylon group) was a nice touch?
That was probably me. I called it the Anakin Skywalker moment. It was a complete fluke that happened to occur at the exact precise moment it needed to occur. It was a convenient and lazy way toward resolution, and that was something the show didn't do very frequently. It didn't ruin the show for me but there's no good way to justify it.

While there may be a "hand of god" guiding things, that's typically what we saw in the show. While the show suggests there is a higher power, it all embraces free will. That moment undermineded the case for free will because it would suggest that god put in motion the events rather than just influencing them.
Quote:
And why do people keep responding to Bad-example? Let him stay in his strange bubble alone, k?
Exactly. No need to feed the trolls. He's said his piece and hates the show so it begs the question why he still wanders in. I'm sure he'll wander in here and explain that too. This has all happened before, and it will happen again.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #315
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Exactly. No need to feed the trolls. He's said his piece and hates the show so it begs the question why he still wanders in. I'm sure he'll wander in here and explain that too. This has all happened before, and it will happen again.

Call me a troll and then predict I will return to the thread and post. You must have some kind of future sight! Amazing!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #316
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That kind of seems like watching Seinfeld and thinking there would eventually be a plot isn't it? Whatever I guess, just strikes me a little strange.

Oh, I agree fully. I just remember all the discussions I've had (mostly online) where people would sigh and say something like another episode with the mystical crap. Made me wonder when anyone said BSG was a show just about 'spolsions.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #317
Galaril
Pro Starter

I guess from what Moore said in that TV Guide interview that Glen Larson is making a feayure film that will be based on the original BSG not Moore creation so for any of the folks like my brother who refused to watch or did not like the new BSG they have that to look forward to.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #318
Galaril
Pro Starter

I guess from what Moore said in that TV Guide interview that Glen Larson is making a feature film that will be based on the original BSG not Moore creation so for any of the folks like my brother who refused to watch or did not like the new BSG they have that to look forward to.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #319
Galaril
Pro Starter

I guess from what Moore said in that TV Guide interview that Glen Larson is making a feature film that will be based on the original BSG not Moore creation so for any of the folks like my brother who refused to watch or did not like the new BSG they have that to look forward to.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #320
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Meh. If you think they were justified in using all those anachronisms, more power to you. I say they were being lazy and cheap and illogical. I guess I didn't appreciate the fanboy ability to overlook glaring errors. It is one thing to recognize and acknowledge mistakes and claim they don't bother you. It is an entirely different scenario to bend over backwards to try and explain things that clearly have no reasonable explanation.

Sorry, this show triggered my bullshit detector on a regular basis. They ultimately ended with the biggest piece of bullshit, the god angle. Turns out this show was little more than John from Cincinnati with rocket ships.

I think the thing you're missing here is the general consensus approach.

If 20 out of 30 people think somethings wrong, it probably is. if 2 do, its probably not the thing thats mistaken, but the 2 that think so.

I honestly hope you just stop caring and move on. The show had its issues. The nit picky bullshit you've ranted about for 7 pages and a couple years really isn't one of the problems. That issue is yours. I'm sorry you have such a limited ability to suspend disbelief.

*** end of responses to BE's glaring inability to move on

As for the "god" angle, what have you been watching for 5 years? Did you never see the original show either? Faith is at the very heart of this show from the time Larson wrote the first short story of "Ark". If you went into BSG thinking it wasn't going to have a major religious theme I'm really not sure what you were thinking.

I'm not sold on the "hand of God" idea for the missile attack either. They were sitting in the middle of an asteroid field around a singularity, I was sort of stunned the missiles didn't go off much sooner. Its not like they needed to go off "right then" either, they could have been fired after Galactica left and would have done the same effect. Having the rock hit the raptor and make the controls get pushed when they did was just some added drama.

I gotta ask though. Did anyone else get emotional when Galactica jumped blind away from the colony and upon reappearing basically cracked and caved in? My stomach just did flip flops. Its such a sad scene. Very well done, but gah, its GALACTICA damnit, she's not supposed to die! *sigh*
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #321
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess from what Moore said in that TV Guide interview that Glen Larson is making a feayure film that will be based on the original BSG not Moore creation so for any of the folks like my brother who refused to watch or did not like the new BSG they have that to look forward to.

I'm just as excited to see something like this too. Moore's vision of the storyline is much more along the lines of what I would expect such a story to follow, but I loved the old show in its day too. I just thought it was far too campy and "happy go lucky everything will be ok" type of thing. Seeing something knew in that vein would be a very interesting contrast to Moore's creation.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #322
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, I agree fully. I just remember all the discussions I've had (mostly online) where people would sigh and say something like another episode with the mystical crap. Made me wonder when anyone said BSG was a show just about 'spolsions.

I always wondered about this for most all Sci-Fi shows. the Original Star Trek had numerous philosophical angles and took on modern day current events in damned near every episode and you really didn't see anyone tearing it down for doing so. The newer versions of star trek all did so as well, just dressing them up differently. Yet no one tore them down for it either. I just don't get why people seem to think a "space based" TV show (for those who complain that BSG really isn't Sci-FI, not that that makes ANY sense) shouldn't deal with the human condition.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #323
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I gotta ask though. Did anyone else get emotional when Galactica jumped blind away from the colony and upon reappearing basically cracked and caved in? My stomach just did flip flops. Its such a sad scene. Very well done, but gah, its GALACTICA damnit, she's not supposed to die! *sigh*

It was sad, but then again it was a dying leader (My opinion is that Galactica and not Roslin is the dying leader the prophacy spoke of).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #324
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I always wondered about this for most all Sci-Fi shows. the Original Star Trek had numerous philosophical angles and took on modern day current events in damned near every episode and you really didn't see anyone tearing it down for doing so. The newer versions of star trek all did so as well, just dressing them up differently. Yet no one tore them down for it either. I just don't get why people seem to think a "space based" TV show (for those who complain that BSG really isn't Sci-FI, not that that makes ANY sense) shouldn't deal with the human condition.

I'm stunned that anyone would argue that. I'm not really a sci-fi fan, but I've always thought that the beauty of good sci-fi is that it can tackle the tough issues of the day without all the bias and baggage you'd get if it was about real people, groups, nations, etc.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #325
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought prior to the finale that the Galactica would be used to ram the Colony with Adama at the helm as part of the final battle. As it turns out, it was used to ram the Colony, but not with the force that I was imagining.

And yes, it was tough watching the old ship crumble.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #326
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the thing you're missing here is the general consensus approach.

If 20 out of 30 people think somethings wrong, it probably is. if 2 do, its probably not the thing thats mistaken, but the 2 that think so.
In BE's defense, maybe 20 out of 30 regular people think something is wrong. The other 10 are sci-fi fans.

Quote:
Nah, I didn't get emotional when Galactica cracked and caved in a little. I did get a shiver though as the original theme music came on as the fleet went into the sun though.

I agree, she's not supposed to die!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #327
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was sad, but then again it was a dying leader (My opinion is that Galactica and not Roslin is the dying leader the prophacy spoke of).

I went bananas when, after the jump, I recognized the background as OUR moon, and the slow pan to OUR Earth.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-23-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #328
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree with this completely. That ship LED the fleet throughout this story. Even when Pegasus was with them, Galactica was the lead ship. I've thought this all through the series and never figured out how to vocalize it. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #329
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
In BE's defense, maybe 20 out of 30 regular people think something is wrong. The other 10 are sci-fi fans.

Nah, I didn't get emotional when Galactica cracked and caved in a little. I did get a shiver though as the original theme music came on as the fleet went into the sun though.

I agree, she's not supposed to die!

I too shivered when the old theme song played. it was a fantastic touch.

And I agree with the sentiment about sci-fi fans, but if you aren't a sci-fi fan why would you watch this series anyway? Its like setting yourself up to fail.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #330
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I personally think Roslin was the dying leader but it's worth noting that the three most critical people or objects that led them to Earth were Roslin, Galactica and Starbuck and they all died/vanished/destroyed at the end.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #331
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ditto....fitting theme song for the end of that ship. The only thing that bothered me about the whole scene is that I couldn't understand how Sam was leading all the ships to the Sun.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #332
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Btw, anyone else reminded of "Good Omens' by Pratchett & Gaiman in the final scene?

Absolutely!

Quote:
Is the assumption that BSG crew or their descendents mated with the natives? If so I think that's pretty bogus ... it would be like "animalistic".

One theory is that the "natives" are actually Neanderthals, and so don't have a further involvement in human evolution. So we all really are the descendants of the humans and cylons, and Hera is the first "missing mitochrondrial link" to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

On another forum I frequent the consensus is that the finale was terrible. Reading between the lines, the consensus seems to rest upon the idea that BSG should have been more about space battles and man vs. cylon this whole time. Which, let's face it, would have led to it being pretty boring by the time we got to the end of the 4th season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Ditto....fitting theme song for the end of that ship. The only thing that bothered me about the whole scene is that I couldn't understand how Sam was leading all the ships to the Sun.

I would presume it wouldn't be difficult to network all of their command systems into Galactica's.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #333
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post

Well at that point he was a hybrid and I'm sure would be able to control all of the fleet if they allowed him to.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #334
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

From Page One:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Also, I'm not sure if that's "Earth", to be honest. Moore's response in the Tribune interview is very lawyerly. The only thing he says categorically is that the 13th tribe called it Earth.

Called it!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #335
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I had no problem with the ending for Kara. After her crash, she was an entity created by "God" to have a specific influence on humanity and the cylons that was fulfilled when they got to the "real" Earth. Clearly she understood that just before she disappeared, but prior to that was not self-aware (unlike, say, Head-Baltar and Head-Caprica).

Another point of confusion I'm seeing on the Interwebs regards Adama and why he'd leave Lee forever like that, not just go away, bury Roslin, and then come back. Well, I think Adama is about to die as well, given how much his health clearly deteriorated in the last season. I'd imagine he has only months left to live, and perhaps not that long if he doesn't bother to build the cabin. So he really was leaving Lee for the last time.

Of all the images that strike me from the finale, the one I keep coming back to is Lee's last scene (with Kara). His reaction after his talk about exploration and right after she disappears really sums up the loneliness, but good loneliness he feels, and perhaps all the survivors feel, now that they've made this decision to stop here, and to live the way they're going to live.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #336
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - the only "big" unanswered question for me is: what/who exactly where the Lords (Gods) of Kobol? Completely fictional? Super-Cylons? AIs? Actual Gods (but not "God")?

Everything else, I think, is more-or-less explained.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #337
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
...I would presume it wouldn't be difficult to network all of their command systems into Galactica's.

Quote:
Well at that point he was a hybrid and I'm sure would be able to control all of the fleet if they allowed him to.

Well I had a hard time wrapping my head around that considering they kept everything pretty low-tech to prevent the Cylons from controlling their systems as it was alluded to many times in previous episodes. If he was leading a group of Cylon ships into the Sun, it would have made more sense since Galactica had some Cylon technology.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #338
Daimyo
College Starter

I thought they said they set all the ships to autopilot into the sun.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #339
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola - the only "big" unanswered question for me is: what/who exactly where the Lords (Gods) of Kobol? Completely fictional? Super-Cylons? AIs? Actual Gods (but not "God")?
Not having read anything Moore claims in this regard, I'll throw out a pitch that I know not everyone will like.

BSG largely embraces religious plurality. There are archetypes for many religions among by the humans and cylons. If anything, it's the humans who believe in multiple gods and the cylons who believe in the one true god, so it could be said that monotheism in Earth cultural derives from the cylons. It makes sense that the religions of the colonies would be the roots of religions on Earth.

My belief is that the Lords of Kobol were akin to the Gods of Olympus. Essentially, classic mythology is a descendant of the Lords of Kobol. Clearly based on the stories of the Temple of Five and whatnot is that humans/cylons were the ones who created and made those places not gods, just like similar icons on Earth.

I think the message the show delivers is generally that "god" exists but not the way we envision it. Note "angel" Baltar's line about about how "god" doesn't like to be called that. Of course, I come to the conclusion because it more closely resembles my own belief system that there is a higher power but we do not understand it. Your mileage may vary.

And of course maybe some of these will be addresed in The Plan movie, since maybe we may learn more about the cylon religion and Temple of Five.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #340
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I like it, as a theory.

The way I see it, the "god" behind the series is probably an incredibly advanced AI or (more likely) an ascended being.

Further, my real guess is that the Lords of Kobol were either a) advanced AIs in human form (similar to the humanform cylons, but considerably more powerful) or (again) b) ascended beings in human form.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #341
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I thought the ending/final season was 'OK.' I'll admit that the show didn't really ever fulfill the potential I felt it had in seasons 1/2, but it's one of the better TV series I've ever watched.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #342
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I like it, as a theory.

The way I see it, the "god" behind the series is probably an incredibly advanced AI or (more likely) an ascended being.

Further, my real guess is that the Lords of Kobol were either a) advanced AIs in human form (similar to the humanform cylons, but considerably more powerful) or (again) b) ascended beings in human form.
Remember, this all happened before, and it will happen again. Everything suggests that there is a cycle that has repeated itself more than once. We know the 13 tribes left Kobol for the colonies and Earth (perhaps due to a rebellion & holocaust) and that the colonies and Earth both created their own cylones that rebeled. That's only three cycles. It is strongly suggested that the cycle has gone longer than that, perhaps millions of years.

Kobol seems to have some significance because of the religious importance for the 12 colonies, the cylons and the 13th tribe. Perhaps Kobol has been the interesecting point over the millenia. Which might be another clue that the cycle is broken because Kobol has been destroyed.

RDM is the only one who knows. I believe the Lords of Kobol were just mythology.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #343
timmynausea
College Starter

The finale was a mild disappointment for me. It had moments, but it came across very rushed, and I didn't buy the reasoning for giving up on technology (again, there probably just wasn't enough time for that to seem like a natural conclusion for them to reach.) There were 6 or 7 episodes worth of material and character development, possibly more, crammed into a 2 hour finale.

I also didn't really care for the robot montage, though I understand the intent. I actually think the show had already made itself relevant to us in the parallels to terrorism and occupation and etc. The super literal robot angle was silly and actually took away from that.

Still, it was good enough to do the series justice. It was only a disappointment in that the earlier finales really blew me away. I don't expect to ever like a scifi show more than this.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #344
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I also didn't really care for the robot montage, though I understand the intent. I actually think the show had already made itself relevant to us in the parallels to terrorism and occupation and etc. The super literal robot angle was silly and actually took away from that.

The whole last 2 minutes to me were far, far, far more on-the-nose than this show has been before. I always liked the fact that it spoke to problems in our real world without making them crystal clear. I agree that the ending was much too literal, and didn't really match the tone of the whole series.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #345
Edward64
Head Coach

Thought I would post the link which has RDM answering some questions at scifi.com
Ron Posts - SCI FI FORUMS
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #346
Galaril
Pro Starter

I don't know if there was ever a thread on the new pilot movie for BSG spinoff "Caprica"? I saw the first half of the movie after renting it. I guess I missed it on SyFy channel. Anyways, I can not imagine this being even remotely successful for more than a season and consider it to be very pedestrian compared to the first series (BSG). That being said I had a tough time turning it off half way through to go to bed. It is interesting to see the start of the Cyclons and all. This very well may shed more light on areas left open from BSG like the real orgins of the Cylons personality/ego and the monotheist/single god stuff. I am really curious what other thought of the the movie who saw it and the shows premise in itself.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #347
RendeR
Coordinator

Nice set of Q and A's there.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #348
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I don't know if there was ever a thread on the new pilot movie for BSG spinoff "Caprica"? I saw the first half of the movie after renting it. I guess I missed it on SyFy channel. Anyways, I can not imagine this being even remotely successful for more than a season and consider it to be very pedestrian compared to the first series (BSG). That being said I had a tough time turning it off half way through to go to bed. It is interesting to see the start of the Cyclons and all. This very well may shed more light on areas left open from BSG like the real orgins of the Cylons personality/ego and the monotheist/single god stuff. I am really curious what other thought of the the movie who saw it and the shows premise in itself.

So is Caprica worth seeing?

Also, I stumbled on this while searching on Caprica:

http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=18208

Last edited by Kodos : 10-08-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #349
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So is Caprica worth seeing?

Also, I stumbled on this while searching on Caprica:

So, How bad is the new Battlestar Galactica going to be? - Front Office Football Central

1. Caprica is worth watching I would say. It's interesting.

2. Wow, great find on that thread. Prediction FAIL.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #350
Thomkal
Head Coach

Are you ready for a remake? No not the series we mostly all loved till the horrible ending...but a remake of the original as a movie rather than a series:

New 'Battlestar Galactica' movie will completely reimagine the sci-fi tale | The Verge
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote