Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #301
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
For fantasy league purposes, I need Calvin Johnson to have a quiet night.

So do I. Sorry about that.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #303
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It must really suck to be a DB in todays NFL.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #304
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Madonna performing at the halftime show of the Superbowl. Meh.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #305
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There is much apathy about the game, or my Facebook feed is blowing up about the refs for no reason.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #306
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, nice arm Stafford.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, the Lions are one stupid football team.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #308
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Madonna performing at the halftime show of the Superbowl. Meh.

Meh!? The NFL is completely in touch with their fans.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #309
RainMaker
General Manager

Sort of a weird halftime show, although there aren't many mainstream acts I would go for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #310
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

At some point, Nate Burleson needs to just ask, "What am I doing wrong?" Then he needs to stop doing that.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #311
MikeVic
Head Coach

Don't know why, but I thought someone like Maroon 5 would be the halftime show. You can bring in XTina there too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #312
Grover
Pro Starter

The Lions will be riding the short bus back to Detroit.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #313
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Pettigrew is lucky he didn't get thrown out of the game just now. I mean, I think they were right to be lenient with him, but it could have reasonably been an ejection.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #314
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So down two scores and in Saints territory with 6+ minutes to go and the Lions punt it away. Reverse psychology?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #315
RainMaker
General Manager

He'll be suspended.

And you truly can't touch a quarterback in this league. Not sure what the defender was supposed to do.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #316
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He'll be suspended.

And you truly can't touch a quarterback in this league. Not sure what the defender was supposed to do.
The defender didn't dive until Stafford was already on his way down. Even though he had no real chance of damaging Stafford, defenders know not to do that. That was one of the easier calls for the officials to make.

Edit to add: And I'll bet $10 of my own money and $100 of Roger Goodell's money that Brandon Pettigrew won't get suspended.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-04-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #317
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Pettigrew is lucky he didn't get thrown out of the game just now. I mean, I think they were right to be lenient with him, but it could have reasonably been an ejection.

He'll be getting a hefty fine. Between this game and the Thanksgiving game it has been interesting to watch them unravel.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #318
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The defender didn't dive until Stafford was already on his way down. Even though he had no real chance of damaging Stafford, defenders know not to do that. That was one of the easier calls for the officials to make.

Edit to add: And I'll bet $10 of my own money and $100 of Roger Goodell's money that Brandon Pettigrew won't get suspended.
I rewinded it and Stafford was sort of stumbling. The defender not only has to assume Stafford won't regain balance but that he'll be able to stop his 300 pound body on a dime. I just think it's much easier said than done.

I think he'll miss a game. Just because the NFL is anal about not touching officials. But maybe it's just a heavy fine, I'd have to see it again.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-04-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #319
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While Schwartz has been the guy to help build this team up, they need a coach who knows how to be a disciplinarian.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #320
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
He'll be getting a hefty fine. Between this game and the Thanksgiving game it has been interesting to watch them unravel.
Yeah, I think contact with an official is an automatic fine. I can actually believe that this was accidental on Pettigrew's part, but it was still pretty stupid, just like a number of other things the Lions have done tonight.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #321
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Team takes on the personality of the coach unfortunately and right now, that isn't a good thing for the Lions. Schwartz just strikes me as an assbag.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #322
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

You can take the Lions out of last place but you can't take last place out of the Lions?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #323
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Team takes on the personality of the coach unfortunately and right now, that isn't a good thing for the Lions. Schwartz just strikes me as an assbag.

I agree with this. Sometimes coaches can be the ones that pull a team out of the depths but just aren't the ones to help them take the next steps. Rah rah and us against the world works a whole lot better when you are an embarrassment than when you are another decent NFL team trying to make that next step and play championship football.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #324
Jas_lov
College Starter

Two divisions are already locked up - NFC West and NFC North. The Packers just got through their toughest remaining games and I don't see them losing. They have 3 home games and their 1 road game is at KC. If Carson gets his two receivers and McFadden back next week could be another interesting shootout but I don't think GB loses at home. Cutler and the Bears would have been their biggest challenge but Chicago has lost him and Forte so that should be a win. KC is a joke. And Rodgers won't lose to Detroit at home with a chance to go 16-0.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 12-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #325
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
While Schwartz has been the guy to help build this team up, they need a coach who knows how to be a disciplinarian.

And he needs to not punt the ball back to Drew Brees down by 14 with the ball in the Saints territory. It was 4th and 13 but they've been passing it all over the place and there's only 6:35 left in the game. And this was the possession after he tries a 55 yard FG which are no good in a game like this even if you make it.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 12-04-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #326
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess the only good news for the Bears today is it looks like Martz is gone at the end of the year. Thank God this shit experiment is finally coming to an end.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #327
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess the only good news for the Bears today is it looks like Martz is gone at the end of the year. Thank God this shit experiment is finally coming to an end.

Considering he changed his game plan to the strengths of the team and Chicago started winning, I don't exactly get the hate. Before that? Well, yeah. His pass happy system is hell for a team ill suited for it.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #328
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And he needs to not punt the ball back to Drew Brees down by 14 with the ball in the Saints territory. It was 4th and 13 but they've been passing it all over the place and there's only 6:35 left in the game. And this was the possession after he tries a 55 yard FG which are no good in a game like this even if you make it.

Yeah that makes no sense if they were trying to win the game.

A bit off topic but I dont really understand why teams punt with 7 min left in the 4th quarter down 17-21 points. They obviously have given up on trying to win the game at that point but for what reason? Why does it matter if you lose by 17 or 31 if you atleast give yourself some hope of winning the game.

Its like in the NFL they have some sort of "gentlemans agreement" where when you get down 2+ scores if you punt we wont try to score again.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #329
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering he changed his game plan to the strengths of the team and Chicago started winning, I don't exactly get the hate. Before that? Well, yeah. His pass happy system is hell for a team ill suited for it.

Near the boTtom of the league offensively despite a top 10 qb and rb. He got the players he wanted too. He toned down his stuff for a few games but always goes back to his old self. This team won because of defense and special teams. He is just holding them back.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #330
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Near the boTtom of the league offensively despite a top 10 qb and rb. He got the players he wanted too. He toned down his stuff for a few games but always goes back to his old self. This team won because of defense and special teams. He is just holding them back.

10th in rushing and 20th in passing yards and that's with the injuries factored in for the past two games. During the switch to a run based offense and the 5 game win streak the Bears scored 39, 24, 30, 37, and 31.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #331
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And Rodgers won't lose to Detroit at home with a chance to go 16-0.

For arguments sake, if they are 15-0 with everything wrapped up, I'm not sure what the hell they will do. I just get the sense that while they want to go 16-0, they don't need to go 16-0. Seems like there are alot of variables in play.. will Detroit be out of it and pissy pulling stuff like the Saints, will Detroit have something locked up, will the weather be ok, who is dinged up. I could see them resting guys that need a little bit of a break, but not completely.

Raiders could be tough especially if Woodson, Bishop and Hawk are all still out.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #332
Thomkal
Head Coach

After seeing the highlights from the Cards/Cowboys game, I'd like to thank Jason Garrett for icing his own kicker for no good reason at all, and allowing my beloved Cards to come back in overtime to win a game they shouldn't have. All the sweeter since it was against the hated Cowboys
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #333
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
At some point, Nate Burleson needs to just ask, "What am I doing wrong?" Then he needs to stop doing that.

Seriously. Dude must have said something about a ref's mother before the game. He had, what, 4 penalties? And the only one that seemed legit to me was the facemask.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #334
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
After all these years I still don't get the love for Eli Manning...

What is there to not "get?"

I don't hear anyone saying he is elite ala the Big 3 ( Rodgers, Brees, Brady) and he is a notch below Big Ben, otherwise he belongs in that next group. He operates as good as any NFL QB in his system in the 2 minute drill, can make plays to with the game, in his career has made the Giants perennial playoff teams and he delivered a title.

I realize he is a part of a team that has a great defense and lots of skill guys, but he is still the QB and proved to be a great one. Does he throw some bad picks, yes he does, but so do a lot of other guys. Without Eli this year the Giants would probably be a 2-3 win team right now.

Bottom line is he is a great, but not elite, QB who plays very well in his teams system the majority of the time. If he stays on the same path he likely finishes his careen with over 50K yards and 350 TD's. Don't know many people who wouldn't take a 15 year career like that from their QB.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #335
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I agree with this. Sometimes coaches can be the ones that pull a team out of the depths but just aren't the ones to help them take the next steps. Rah rah and us against the world works a whole lot better when you are an embarrassment than when you are another decent NFL team trying to make that next step and play championship football.

Yeah, like the Bucs firing Dungy and hiring Gruden.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions are a cautionary tale. There's a reason why you never heard the story about what happened to the lions after Daniel escaped their den, because it's too fucking depressing.

The Lions have been cursed by god. Satan is among them.

Ever since the Lions shallacked, embarassed and then openly mocked The Tebow, they have gone 1-3. Players are dropping like flies. Players are consistently acting the fool. It's like they've been possesed by some malevolent spirit or are being shunned by the good Lord.

The Lions need an exorcist or, at least, need to burn some sage up in Ford Field.

Woe be to any team or anyone that beats or mocks The Tebow.

Quote:
Man, the Lions are one stupid football team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The Lions will be riding the short bus back to Detroit.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
You can take the Lions out of last place but you can't take last place out of the Lions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

As Dominic Raiola said, the Lions need to "Grow the fuck up."

p.s. Fuck all y'all.

H_B, OUT!

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #337
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Big news today. Apparently CBS, FOX and NBC will be re-signing for eight years at an 60% hike in per-year payments.

That's something like a $3 Billion increase in Media Rights...

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-05-2011 at 09:15 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #338
SFL Cat
College Starter

Dolphins crush Raiders yesterday, so in South Florida...a lot of folks are starting to ask if Tony Sporano should be allowed to keep his job if the Dolphins continue playing like they have for the remainder of the season. Personally, I think he and Ireland are gone...but stranger things have happened.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #339
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Dolphins crush Raiders yesterday, so in South Florida...a lot of folks are starting to ask if Tony Sporano should be allowed to keep his job if the Dolphins continue playing like they have for the remainder of the season. Personally, I think he and Ireland are gone...but stranger things have happened.

HELL NO!

They need to stop with this crap.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #340
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post

I'd keep Sparano another year and kick Ireland to the fucking curb.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #341
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

As a Lions fan, I am horribly embarrassed after last night's debacle. They could have, and possibly, should have won that game against the Saints. I have never seen a team make so many mental errors and just pull stupid shit. It's like each player tried to outdo the previous guy with an even stupider penalty.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Jim Schwartz is a helluva coach but he needs to reign in that team and pull their heads out of their collective asses.

This team can do good things but they have to stop beating themselves, or they will continue to be embarrassed like they last 2 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #342
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Also, a nice win for the Steelers. Too bad they can't beat the Ravens this year; that is what is keeping them from wrapping up the division.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #343
JediKooter
Coordinator

Chargers/Jaguars...As the Chargers have proven all season, they don't dare let the opposing team under perform them. You want to score 20 points? Fine. The Chargers will score 17. You want to score 45 points? Cool. The Chargers will score 35. What will Norv have up his sleeve to cement his last ever head coaching job in the NFL?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #344
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yet another Monday night game that I don't want to watch but can "give up" for my wife in order to make her think I'm sacrificing something. I don't know who ESPN put in charge of scheduling this year, but they should fire him/her. Clearly someone in the NFL offices doesn't like that person, or they have far less clout with the NFL than Fox/ CBS/NBC.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #345
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Chargers/Jaguars...As the Chargers have proven all season, they don't dare let the opposing team under perform them. You want to score 20 points? Fine. The Chargers will score 17. You want to score 45 points? Cool. The Chargers will score 35. What will Norv have up his sleeve to cement his last ever head coaching job in the NFL?

Someone will hire him again, the NFL is full of retreads.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #346
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Seriously. Dude must have said something about a ref's mother before the game. He had, what, 4 penalties? And the only one that seemed legit to me was the facemask.
I actually agree with the pass interference calls against him. Does he normally push off with his arms extended? I don't know. Maybe he gets away with it most of the time, but since he was getting flagged, he needed to ask what was causing his normal technique to get flagged. I mean, it's uncommon to see two offensive pass interference penalties in one game. How about three? On the same team? On the same player? After the second one, just ask the official what he saw. As long as he's not being a dick about it, the official would probably tell him.

I'm not a big fan of a player getting called for penalties again and again and then whining about it afterwards. At some point, he's got to think that maybe he's doing something wrong (or at least the refs are seeing him do something wrong). You don't get three offensive pass interference penalties by accident.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #347
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yet another Monday night game that I don't want to watch but can "give up" for my wife in order to make her think I'm sacrificing something. I don't know who ESPN put in charge of scheduling this year, but they should fire him/her. Clearly someone in the NFL offices doesn't like that person, or they have far less clout with the NFL than Fox/ CBS/NBC.

You thought tonight's game was bad? Just wait til next week.... I want to see the promo for it.

The Rams who have won a couple games, play the Seahawks who have won a few more games- neither team is really playing for anything- tonight on MNF.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #348
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Someone will hire him again, the NFL is full of retreads.

I'm sure someone will hire him. I would just be surprised if it was for HC position. He always seems to excel at the Offensive Coordinator job. He's got the touch of death as a head coach, so unless he is really really good friends with an owner or GM, I just don't seem him being a head coach again.

Kevin Glibride is a perfect example of what mold Turner fits into.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #349
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The NFL should move every Broncos game for the rest of the season to Monday night.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #350
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I actually agree with the pass interference calls against him. Does he normally push off with his arms extended? I don't know. Maybe he gets away with it most of the time, but since he was getting flagged, he needed to ask what was causing his normal technique to get flagged. I mean, it's uncommon to see two offensive pass interference penalties in one game. How about three? On the same team? On the same player? After the second one, just ask the official what he saw. As long as he's not being a dick about it, the official would probably tell him.

I'm not a big fan of a player getting called for penalties again and again and then whining about it afterwards. At some point, he's got to think that maybe he's doing something wrong (or at least the refs are seeing him do something wrong). You don't get three offensive pass interference penalties by accident.

I think he knew what he was doing, probably gets away with it a lot and thought he could tonight. I mean if you can get away with a push off you have the ability to score a big TD on that play (DB falls down- get a long score). Getting one of those is worth a couple PI calls, but you're right after 2 he should know he isn't getting away with it anymore.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote