Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #301
whomario
Pro Starter

He is a role player as of now... And there´s no way he´d be getting minutes (not a ton, but still rotation minutes) with the Thunder if he didn´t/wouldn´t look even better in camp or now in practice sessions.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #302
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, the Spurs rested three of their older players for their showdown with the Heat, and that has Stern pissed off, stating that he's going to levy "significant sanctions" against them
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #303
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sanctions? The hell is Stern, the UN?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's just something that Pop does. The Thursday games are really bad on older teams. Essentially require a back2back.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #305
fpres
High School JV

$tern is just trying to protect the integrity of the game.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #306
Jas_lov
College Starter

Tie ballgame in the 4th quarter. Hopefully the Spurs win to make Stern look like even more of a buffoon. Will Stern impose penalties on teams that only play their stars a certain number of minutes? Or when they have a playoff spot locked up and rest their players? Pop isn't breaking any rules so I guess Stern is just going to make one up.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #307
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Four games in five days and six games in ten days for the Spurs. All on the road. Miami has been sitting since last Saturday. Stern needs to sanction the schedule maker before he sanctions San Antonio.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #308
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Stern is nuts. He must think he has enough power to run all of the teams now instead of just a select few.

If he wanted to stop this kind of thing from happening he needed to do it awhile ago.

Smart strategy in my opinion. Probably werent going to win in Miami anyway so why waste older players on that game. Keep them fresh for more winnable games.

I know its not the nature of sports but the NBA season is too damn long. Need to cut back the schedule to prevent this.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #309
RainMaker
General Manager

Stern is a carnival barker and nothing more at this point. There's a reason why the league barely has credibility as a sport and is more sports entertainment than sport.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #310
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Michael Jordan open to Hornets name back in Charlotte - ESPN
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Only if we get to see teal and purple and run a 40+ year old Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson, too!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #312
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can he fine the Warriors for making the playoffs once in what is close to a 20 year span?

Or maybe he should fine the Wizards for trotting out sub-par talent on a nightly basis.

This move is absurd and the Spurs should not even write the check.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I heard NO was going to consider adopting the Saints scheme and switch to the Pelicans name. But that was of dubious quality.

Charlotte needs to adopt Hornets.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #314
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

$250k fine for the Spurs. I wonder if the big 3 plus Green foot the bill on this if it even gets paid. Stern's move is absurd.

Adrian Wojnarowski takes the argument against Stern a lot further.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs resigned Kevin Jones after he was averaging 27ppg in the D League
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #316
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
$250k fine for the Spurs. I wonder if the big 3 plus Green foot the bill on this if it even gets paid. Stern's move is absurd.

Adrian Wojnarowski takes the argument against Stern a lot further.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

The biggest thing I don't get is they did this before with no issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's an awesome takedown of Stern. I wish he would quit sooner.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #318
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The biggest thing I don't get is they did this before with no issue.

This. Why Stern would even bring this topic up given the league's history with teams not playing their best players every night is beyond me. I am actually looking for to the end of the season to see what fines the NBA hands out throughout the season. I suspect more teams will be doing "a disservice to the NBA and its fans" after the All Star break.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #319
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW, only two games for Rondo since he was defending a teammate? Good to know.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This. Why Stern would even bring this topic up given the league's history with teams not playing their best players every night is beyond me. I am actually looking for to the end of the season to see what fines the NBA hands out throughout the season. I suspect more teams will be doing "a disservice to the NBA and its fans" after the All Star break.

that one year the Wolves tanked to like a 15 game losing streak to end the season and Love was mysteriously injured.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #321
hoopsguy
General Manager

Interesting to see this on a couple of levels:
1.) counter-point to the avalanche of criticism that Stern has received for issuing the fine
2.) coming from ... Mark Cuban
3.) I agree with just about everything Cuban says - forced me to re-evaluate my thoughts on the issue.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban OK with San Antonio Spurs fine -- Should have been higher - ESPN Dallas
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #322
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The only thing Cuban hates more than Stern is the Spurs so take his wisdom with a grain of salt. Next time Pop should just keep them in town, have them start and have one of them foul as soon as the ball is put in play, then take all of them out.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #323
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Interesting to see this on a couple of levels:
1.) counter-point to the avalanche of criticism that Stern has received for issuing the fine
2.) coming from ... Mark Cuban
3.) I agree with just about everything Cuban says - forced me to re-evaluate my thoughts on the issue.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban OK with San Antonio Spurs fine -- Should have been higher - ESPN Dallas

As one who is critical of the fine and Stern, I don't necessarily disagree with Cuban. I do find it funny that everyone feels comfortable screwing the fans in Orlando by having teams rest their stars against them. To me, the problem is not that he fined the Spurs, It is a combination of the fine AND the league's history AND he still has not solved the problem of teams resting players. Will teams actually send players home? Probably not. Next time, Tim Duncan will have a "hamstring" injury and just sit on the bench or may even have to go to the back for x-rays. Maybe Manu will play 24 seconds and then sit down because it is not a good "matchup" for him or the team that night. What if Tony Parker is playing like shit for the first quarter and Pop decides to bench him to send a message? Does he get a fine for that? If the fine is for Pop sending them back to San Antonio via commercial flight early and by doing so screwing with the betting lines, then I get that. That makes sense given the league's history. However, if it is truly about doing right by the national TV partners and making sure that teams put their best players on the floor every game, then he needs to do more work getting things right in the league office before he starts telling coaches who to play and who to not play.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #324
whomario
Pro Starter

Rubio participated in his first full team practice including 5:5 scrimmage No date for his return, but it´s likely to be well before christmas if no setbacks are encountered.

Dwight Howard´s FT shooting is amazingly horrible.

Some contender should try to get Redick from the Magic, he´s just a rock solid player. Shot not falling this year, but on a bad magic team lacking playmaking he´s now averaging 5 APG (to just 2 TOs).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 12-03-2012 at 08:05 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #325
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As one who is critical of the fine and Stern, I don't necessarily disagree with Cuban. I do find it funny that everyone feels comfortable screwing the fans in Orlando by having teams rest their stars against them. To me, the problem is not that he fined the Spurs, It is a combination of the fine AND the league's history AND he still has not solved the problem of teams resting players. Will teams actually send players home? Probably not. Next time, Tim Duncan will have a "hamstring" injury and just sit on the bench or may even have to go to the back for x-rays. Maybe Manu will play 24 seconds and then sit down because it is not a good "matchup" for him or the team that night. What if Tony Parker is playing like shit for the first quarter and Pop decides to bench him to send a message? Does he get a fine for that? If the fine is for Pop sending them back to San Antonio via commercial flight early and by doing so screwing with the betting lines, then I get that. That makes sense given the league's history. However, if it is truly about doing right by the national TV partners and making sure that teams put their best players on the floor every game, then he needs to do more work getting things right in the league office before he starts telling coaches who to play and who to not play.
well said. too many games+too much travel. you'd think schedule making would be the utmost priority in every league (to maximize rest and ensure the best product for fans) but it never works out that way
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #326
miami_fan
Coordinator

So..uhhh.... anybody heard any good trade rumors for Pau Gasol?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So..uhhh.... anybody heard any good trade rumors for Pau Gasol?

They should probably put in a call to the 76ers. They seem to like Lakers big men with knee troubles.

Or maybe Portland is looking for a replacement on the bench for Oden?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #328
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

Adrian Wojnarowski takes the argument against Stern a lot further.David Stern stumbles again in his failed culture war against the Spurs, fines franchise $250K - Yahoo! Sports

Wow, Woj. I like it but I'm guessing he doesn't get any interviews from the commish's office for a while.

Also, I get what Cuban is saying but he hit the nail on the head right here: "Cuban said he has complained to the league office before about putting teams on national television who have such scheduling circumstances, but those complaints fell on deaf ears."

Look, you want a good game on TNT, don't pick the team that has played 4 games in 5 nights.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #329
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sportsman of the Year

I have no idea how significant SI's Sportsman of the Year is among sports fans today, but the idea of Lebron James winning this sort of award seems stunning to me given the popular opinion two years ago.

LeBron James: 2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year - Sportsman of the Year - SI.com
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #330
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is that real?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #332
molson
General Manager

That sounds like the name of a team that would play the Globetrotters every night.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #333
Logan
Head Coach

Pelican fly! Come onnnnnnnnn Pelican!!!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #334
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That sounds like the name of a team that would play the Globetrotters every night.

Or a Minor League Baseball team, my Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Not a great choice for a NBA team however if its real.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #335
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is that real?

I doubt it's real, but nothing stopping it from becoming so
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #336
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's real. I heard about it a few months ago and ESPN is reporting it now.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #337
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New Orleans Hornets to change nickname to Pelicans, according to report - ESPN

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...231227843.html

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #338
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i like it. it's like a team name from double dribble. new orleans pelicans vs boston frogs
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #339
Desnudo
Coordinator

It's like the opposite of Oregon football
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #340
cuervo72
Head Coach

I suddenly have a hankerin' for Long John's.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fadeaway from the corner.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #342
britrock88
Pro Starter

Stylish unis, actually... but I thought they were going navy/yellow/red? They need to back off the teal if Charlotte wants to reclaim the Hornets.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #343
britrock88
Pro Starter

Dola--

The New Orleans Pelicans were a minor league baseball team for much of the twentieth century. And it sure beats the alternative of "Krewe."
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #344
cuervo72
Head Coach

Add in a little green and it'd be close to the color scheme for my made-up Fresno Flow franchise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 206969_1032543348691_3477150_n.jpg (38.8 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Krewe was going to be horrible. Glad that didnt happen.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #346
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Stylish unis, actually... but I thought they were going navy/yellow/red? They need to back off the teal if Charlotte wants to reclaim the Hornets.

Dola..that stuff might not be real(the jerseys)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #347
korme
Go Reds

Those unis aren't official but the name change is, just to be clear.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #348
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If I had to wear those team colors, I'd have to kick my own ass.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #349
rjolley
College Starter

If you were getting paid the NBA minimum salary, you'd wear it with pride.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #350
britrock88
Pro Starter

Well, then, I look forward to seeing how much worse the NBA does than that.