Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread, Feel the Heat

It's hard to believe that it's just 10 days out for the regular season to start. I'm interested in seeing how bad the Cavs will be again.

Last edited by stevew : 03-15-2013 at 01:06 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Amar'e out 2-3 weeks and will miss the opener.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

I love the Grizz-Pacers option. Two fun, underdog teams
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Had my first ever offline fantasy draft yesterday, but drew the #12 pick... banking heavily on Dwight Howard and Steph Curry staying healthy (yikes), and also Demarcus Cousins to not miss four 3s a game while grabbing a truckload of boards. O.J. Mayo living up to his promise would also suit me just fine.

As far as the Cavs go, I think they should at least be a little more entertaining this year. C.J. Miles was a nice pickup and gives us a little speed and shooting on the wing, while Waiters has been better than I expected in preseason, especially defensively. I think it's kinda off that they are grooming him as a backup PG rather than trying him off the ball, but hey, what do I know, clearly that's what you look for at #4.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

Celtics vs. Lakers. Banking on Lebron contracting mono.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Nuggets baby!!!!!!

Well, they'll be fun to watch and Hollinger likes em anyway, we have that going for us.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nuggets should remain one of the most enjoyable teams to watch I think. I really like the style of teams that the Nuggets/Pacers/Sixers have put together, and I hope it can be successful.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Thunder vs Nets.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Go Lakers!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

I hope the Thunder take it, but I have to admit it would be interesting watching two teams I really don't care for at all go at it in Heat-Lakers. I guess I would be rooting for the Lakers solely due to Nash, which would be a strange feeling.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sixers/Thunder!!!

Celtics are done, they are in the "other" range.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Celtics have at least one more chance.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah agreed on the Celtics. Overall, even with the loss of Allen and another year on Garnett and Pierce, they've had a positive injection of talent. Not sure how those guards are all going to get minutes when Bradley is back, but I definitely don't think you can count them out.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

So this just happened in my fantasy draft:

Boomshakalaka: No one take waiters hes the next rookie on my list
You Shoot I Block: i wouldnt take him if you gave me 20 dollars
We're All Stars Now: i would not take waiters ever
Kobe24 has selected Dion Waiters (CLE)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah agreed on the Celtics. Overall, even with the loss of Allen and another year on Garnett and Pierce, they've had a positive injection of talent. Not sure how those guards are all going to get minutes when Bradley is back, but I definitely don't think you can count them out.
Agreed - just look at the minute distribution of Game 7 vs. Miami last year (where they were tied going into the 4th quarter)
Rondo: 44
Pierce: 42 (not 100%)
Bass: 40
Allen: 39
Garnett: 35
Pietrus: 22
Hollins: 9
Dooling: 6
Steimsma: 2

Let's ignore who'll actually start and say Courtney Lee replaces Ray Allen (different styles, but about equally effective at this point of Allen's career), that means you replace that abomination of a bench with Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Leandro Barbosa, and Avery Bradley in a couple months.

None of it matters if Garnett (and obviously Rondo, but he's not old) isn't healthy come playoff-time, and playing at least near the level he did late last year, but the bench is so improved I love the matchups we can throw out and the extra rest we can give the starters. In games where Sullinger plays with the first unit, we might even run and press at times with that second unit (Bass/Green/Terry/2 of Rondo/Lee/Bradley/Pierce) like Rivers did in Orlando

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the Clippers have been overlooked in the West, because who can they step over? The Lakers adding Nash and Howard? The young Thunder one year better? The indomnitable force that is the Spurs?

That said, this Clippers team could be very, very good. They did some nice underrated things in the offseason. Griffin and DJ had shooting coaches over the summer and will be a year better. CP3 is CP3. Billups is already back practicing with the team and should be starting again by the end of November.

What really has me excited, though, is the depth. Jamal Crawford may be a ballhog who can shoot teams out of games as often as he shoots them into them, but he definitely can bring scoring. He replaces Mo Williams, and that's at least a wash in my mind. Willie Green is a very underrated pickup in the guard rotation, and Bledsoe showed how much he has been developing in the playoffs last year. Caron Butler is a year older, and Odom is a mystery. But they're vets who know what they're doing. Then add Matt Barnes and Ryan Hollins as decent quality backups to Griffin and DJ, and you have a deep and solid rotation. They even brought in Grant Hill.

The defense always worries me, and that's what could hold back this team. CP3 is fine, but straight up man D among the others is understood about as well as quantum physics. Griffin can be solid at D if he applies himself. Jordan blocks a lot of shots and disturbs with his height and reach, but he has always been a shot blocker, not a post defender, and he's still too thin to hold up against some of the bigger, blockier big men. The swing men are all either too disinclined to play D or too old to do it well anymore.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Clippers max out at 56 wins. They are a good but not great team.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Found some lines.

Regular Season Wins -
Atlanta Hawks 43.0
Boston Celtics Over 50.5
Brooklyn Nets Over 44.5
Charlotte Bobcats 20.5
Chicago Bulls-no line
Cleveland Cavaliers 31.5
Dallas Mavericks 44.5
Denver Nuggets 50.5
Detroit Pistons 32.5
Golden State Warriors 35.5
Houston Rockets 30.5
Indiana Pacers 51.5
Los Angeles Clippers 49.5
Los Angeles Lakers 59.5
Memphis Grizzlies 48.5
Miami Heat 60.5
Milwaukee Bucks 36.5
Minnesota Timberwolves no line
New Orleans Hornets 25.5
New York Knicks 46.5
Oklahoma City Thunder 60.5
Orlando Magic 23.5
Philadelphia 76ers 47.5
Phoenix Suns 33.5
Portland Trailblazers 34.5
Sacramento Kings 29.5
San Antonio Spurs 54.5
Toronto Raptors 32.5
Utah Jazz 42.5
Washington Wizards 31.5
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just at a quick glance-
I like the Mavs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Celtics and Kings over.

Wizards, Raptors, 76ers, Hawks, Nets all under.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, Houston just isn't very good at taking. Even going full tank, they are projected 5th from the bottom with Sacramento, Orlando, New Orleans, and Charlotte all worse. Cleveland, Detroit, Phoenix, Toronto, Washington all within 2 games.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Clippers max out at 56 wins. They are a good but not great team.

Boo! You always poopoo the Clippers chances.

I agree, though--I don't think their defensive issues will allow them to win more than that.

That said, I definitely like the over for the Clips on the line you posted. Set at 49.5? This is definitely a 50 win team if it can stay healthy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Kings are +25000 to win the NBA title. Of all the shit teams near the bottom, they at least strike me as the team with some serious grade A talent. Not saying Boogie will put it together and stop chucking 3's or that Jimmer-mania will happen, but don't they at least seem like they could backdoor into the playoffs?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have to say I lost all interest in my team (Jazz) when they allowed Deron Williams to run Sloan and Johnson out of town and then turned around and traded Deron.

To me...they are dead..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Kings are +25000 to win the NBA title. Of all the shit teams near the bottom, they at least strike me as the team with some serious grade A talent. Not saying Boogie will put it together and stop chucking 3's or that Jimmer-mania will happen, but don't they at least seem like they could backdoor into the playoffs?

I think when it comes to the West, the question becomes who do they displace? Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Clips, Grizz are locks, IMO.

That leaves three spots. I think for sure the Nuggets get a spot, too. If the Mavs surivive Nowitzki's injury early on, they're in, too. Let's say they do. So that leaves just one spot.

The likely contenders there are the Blazers, Jazz and Wolves. Those are tough for a team at the level the Kings are to beat over an 82 game season, IMO.

Not saying it can't happen, and you're right, the Kings have some very nice developing talent. But I am not sure that talent is developed enough yet to move them up too far in the super-talented West.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't think the Clippers have been overlooked in the West, because who can they step over? The Lakers adding Nash and Howard? The young Thunder one year better? The indomnitable force that is the Spurs?

That said, this Clippers team could be very, very good. They did some nice underrated things in the offseason. Griffin and DJ had shooting coaches over the summer and will be a year better. CP3 is CP3. Billups is already back practicing with the team and should be starting again by the end of November.

What really has me excited, though, is the depth. Jamal Crawford may be a ballhog who can shoot teams out of games as often as he shoots them into them, but he definitely can bring scoring. He replaces Mo Williams, and that's at least a wash in my mind. Willie Green is a very underrated pickup in the guard rotation, and Bledsoe showed how much he has been developing in the playoffs last year. Caron Butler is a year older, and Odom is a mystery. But they're vets who know what they're doing. Then add Matt Barnes and Ryan Hollins as decent quality backups to Griffin and DJ, and you have a deep and solid rotation. They even brought in Grant Hill.

The defense always worries me, and that's what could hold back this team. CP3 is fine, but straight up man D among the others is understood about as well as quantum physics. Griffin can be solid at D if he applies himself. Jordan blocks a lot of shots and disturbs with his height and reach, but he has always been a shot blocker, not a post defender, and he's still too thin to hold up against some of the bigger, blockier big men. The swing men are all either too disinclined to play D or too old to do it well anymore.

A fascinating Jamal Crawford story is that he told a reporter this is the first season he has worked on his jumper. He's never practiced in the offseason, and this was his first year doing so with a program.

Umm, wow. It's both surprising and not surprising. The fact an 11-year pro who loves to shoot never shoots in the offseason and has been relatively successful in his career is mind-boggling.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
A fascinating Jamal Crawford story is that he told a reporter this is the first season he has worked on his jumper. He's never practiced in the offseason, and this was his first year doing so with a program.

Umm, wow. It's both surprising and not surprising. The fact an 11-year pro who loves to shoot never shoots in the offseason and has been relatively successful in his career is mind-boggling.

Oh yeah, I know. I read that story, too. Unbelievable. Who knows if it would even help at this point, either. I am thinking it's more likely to just screw up his mechanics.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Why would he need to practice during the offseason, when he can just get his practice in during the regular season, throwing up jumpers at will?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #28
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Kings have acquired young talent, but it's just that the talent does not cohesively mesh together... IMO they should look to move 2 or 3 of their young talents not named DeMarcus to try and get one bigger name to team up with him inside, and hope DeMarcus matures and stops shooting 3s and turning the ball over.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Big news today....Stern announcing he will end his reign of terror on Feb 1, 2014
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Big news today....Stern announcing he will end his reign of terror on Feb 1, 2014

I wonder if Gary Bettman's interested.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

Adam Silver will be Stern's replacement.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think when it comes to the West, the question becomes who do they displace? Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Clips, Grizz are locks, IMO.

That leaves three spots. I think for sure the Nuggets get a spot, too. If the Mavs surivive Nowitzki's injury early on, they're in, too. Let's say they do. So that leaves just one spot.

The likely contenders there are the Blazers, Jazz and Wolves. Those are tough for a team at the level the Kings are to beat over an 82 game season, IMO.

Not saying it can't happen, and you're right, the Kings have some very nice developing talent. But I am not sure that talent is developed enough yet to move them up too far in the super-talented West.

*delusional fan alert*

If Curry and Bogut can stay healthy, the Warriors will be in the mix for that slot too.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Adam Silver will be Stern's replacement.

Good
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #34
korme
Go Reds

I will be sad to see Stern go.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will be sad to see Stern go.

I can't remember which team you are a fan of, but I certainly won't be sad at all.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

Stern's first half may be one of the most brilliant runs in history of any commissioner in sports. His second half has been rather terrible.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

The NBA was pretty woeful for about 5 years or so, but the past 3 seasons have been the best in a long time.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I can't remember which team you are a fan of, but I certainly won't be sad at all.

just a hoophead. don't really have a team anymore, that's the one nice thing about no pro bball team in cincy is i have no hard-coded affiliation. so i get to root for 15 teams a night if i choose
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
kingfc22
Head Coach

Harden to the Rockets. Wow...
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #40
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

@DonBestSports

Oklahoma City Thunder have traded James Harden to Houston Rockets. OKC receives Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb & future draft considerations.

Whoa. Didn't see that coming.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Whafuck?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #42
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Guess they didn't want to sink the money into 3 guards long term.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #43
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Couldn't you keep him for the year and get basically the same package in a sign and trade? Why trade him now?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's a Chance the Thunder were just over him and didn't want to deal with him all year and then RFA drama next summer(matching his deal and then he could void a trade the following season)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, that's a Sam Presti move I don't get. Kevin Martin is going to be a horrible addition to that team. Lamb has some potential and I'm sure they will use the draft picks well but picking up Martin is subtraction by addition. Unless they already know they can swing Martin somewhere else but I don't know what they could get that's close to Harden's impact.

My facebook feed is full of gloating Laker fans and I have to say I agree with them. OKC is nowhere near as intimidating a team now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure what to make of the Harden deal. Those are some good draft picks and Lamb seems like he could be good in a couple of years but Harden is good now. However, Harden on a max deal...?

SI

Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Thunder also got the Bobcats #2 in 2013(probably 33rd overall at worst), a Raptors pick with the following protections(Top 3 protected and 15-30 in 2013, top 2 protected and 15-30 in 2014 and '15, Top 1 protected and 15-30 in 2016 and '17, and unprotected in 2018.)
and another pick that I think is the Mavs pick this year(top 20 protected until 2017)

This avoids luxury tax problems and Martin and Lamb should offset Harden's loss this year.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It definitely makes the Thunder better long term but worse short term.

I think I'm really coming around to liking this deal for Houston. I'm trusting Morey's judgement in giving Harden a max deal.

Also, somehow we deal more pieces yet end up bulking up the roster even more because some of what we gave up were draft picks.

SI

Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, which would you rather have? What OKC got for Harden or what Orlando got for Howard?

SI

Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #50
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy hell, did not see that coming. Thunder might get a bit worse short term yeah, but their window is pretty large. Let Lakers and Heat battle it out for the next 2 years, by then you've got Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka all still in their prime and you are ready to be the big dogs.

Martin is no Harden, but you can bring him in at the 2 and 3 spots and give him the greenlight basically. They have the depth at PG in the underrated Maynor, and Aldritch is addition by subtraction. No team with Westbrook and Durant is ever going to be a push-over though, and Ibaka might be ready for a breakout year too given how good he has looked this offseason. Harden or not, these guys are still a contendor.