Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #301
Dutch
"Dutch"

I like the Dirk Koetter move mostly for the illusion of stability for Winston. He is a players coach, but he knows he's not one of the boys, so I like that. Winston respects him and Koetter isn't just an X's and O's guy, but a lifelong teacher. So I'm hopeful.

Bringing in Mike Smith is seen as a positive as well since the two combined seem to have a good vision of what NFL talent looks like...and they will dismantle the Tampa-2....which was an attempt by Lovie to cram a square peg (90's ball) into a round hole (modern defenses). I expect improvements and expect the Bucs to shake their laughing-stock image. Tough mountain to climb though.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #302
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I expect improvements and expect the Bucs to shake their laughing-stock image. Tough mountain to climb though.

I think that Winston is the real deal. Getting a star QB will do wonders over the next 3-5 years. As long as the coaches/front office can field an average or better defense, the Bucs should be a playoff team sooner rather than later.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #303
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the Dirk Koetter move mostly for the illusion of stability for Winston. He is a players coach, but he knows he's not one of the boys, so I like that. Winston respects him and Koetter isn't just an X's and O's guy, but a lifelong teacher. So I'm hopeful.

Bringing in Mike Smith is seen as a positive as well since the two combined seem to have a good vision of what NFL talent looks like...and they will dismantle the Tampa-2....which was an attempt by Lovie to cram a square peg (90's ball) into a round hole (modern defenses). I expect improvements and expect the Bucs to shake their laughing-stock image. Tough mountain to climb though.

Almost like a reverse Falcons of 2012-2014 coaching staff. In that case it was Mike Smith as HC and Dirk Koetter as OC. I just find it interesting.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #304
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think you could do a lot worse than pick a coach whose mentor, including playoffs, is 172–121–1 (.587) during his career.

I like Andy Reid. Always have. Dumb clock manager, but I like his style and his teams. That said, I do not necessarily care about his coaching tree. Like most head coaches, there are some hits and misses. I fully believe the Eagles went the wrong way in both their firing of Reid and their hiring of Pederson.

All of this is just my opinion. I never expected Carrol to succeed in Seattle. I think Lurie crapped the bed. Maybe Pederson will prove me wrong. (fwiw the Eagles are my favorite team in that division so I will be hoping he does well regardless of how well I think he will do.)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #305
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, the Giants are in a difficult spot. How many years does Eli have left, and is there enough time for him to learn a new offense? The offense was pretty good this year, so I can see why they'd want that continuity. It may not work, but it has some sense to it.

Yeah and it'd be nearly guaranteed to be yet another wasted year with Eli as your QB, who isn't getting any younger.

I felt like the Giants should have parted ways with Coughlin 2 offseasons ago. Last offseason I was 50/50 on it. This season, I feel like Coughlin actually had the team highly competitive despite the lack of talent. Though being competitive means you will be in close games, where being smart matters. And nobody (at least not me anyway) ever accused Coughlin of being a smart tactician.

I also feel like McAdoo shares some of that blame (and a little praise as well). While he did a good job schematically, I never found his playcalling to be anything special, least of all his late game playcalls (which Coughlin accepts blame for, but I'm not convinced he was the one making those calls).

I expect McAdoo to be a bit of a continuation of Coughlin. And despite the Giants typical stability, I expect McAdoo and Reese to both be gone in 2 seasons. I hope I'm wrong.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I expect McAdoo to be a bit of a continuation of Coughlin. And despite the Giants typical stability, I expect McAdoo and Reese to both be gone in 2 seasons. I hope I'm wrong.

That's the real issue. Keeping Reese, when he should have been the first let go, means that you're tying the two together for a couple years at least because no strong GM candidate is going to take the job after next season if he's being stuck with a coach with no history of success. So you have to give them two years to figure things out and then maybe you just wasted the final two years of Eli's potential as a Super Bowl-caliber QB.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #307
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That's the real issue. Keeping Reese, when he should have been the first let go, means that you're tying the two together for a couple years at least because no strong GM candidate is going to take the job after next season if he's being stuck with a coach with no history of success. So you have to give them two years to figure things out and then maybe you just wasted the final two years of Eli's potential as a Super Bowl-caliber QB.

Yep, and assuming things don't go unexpectedly great, I think they reboot with a new GM and coach at that point. Potentially with or without Eli.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #308
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that Winston is the real deal. Getting a star QB will do wonders over the next 3-5 years. As long as the coaches/front office can field an average or better defense, the Bucs should be a playoff team sooner rather than later.

Gerald McCoy is a gritty player, but he's almost alone sans defensive scheming. We need some muscle up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Almost like a reverse Falcons of 2012-2014 coaching staff. In that case it was Mike Smith as HC and Dirk Koetter as OC. I just find it interesting.

I dont know of a situation like this...although I'm sure its happened. I think Mike Smith will drop back to coordinator without much trouble...they are apparently good friends....and I see them as in the right order personality-wise.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #309
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Yep, and assuming things don't go unexpectedly great, I think they reboot with a new GM and coach at that point. Potentially with or without Eli.

I would say there's a 100% chance it will either be with or without him. I see no other outcomes.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #310
Kodos
Resident Alien

Shrewd analysis. This is why I stay at FOFC.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #311
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I would say there's a 100% chance it will either be with or without him. I see no other outcomes.

I report, you decide.

I really just mean that at that point they won't care to try and salvage the Eli years and will be looking for the longer term solution at head coach and GM whether Eli stays for an extra season or not.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #312
Thomkal
Head Coach

A sad story of what playing NFL Football can lead to:

Former Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El: 'If I could go back, I wouldn't [play football]' | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #313
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Whoa! Thanks Thomkal!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #314
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Raiders, Oakland to work on a lease for 2016 | ProFootballTalk

Am I the only one that would play hardball with the Raiders on this lease? Getting them to commit for more than a single season.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #315
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

He went back the following day and took back a vast majority of the comments, but did say he would stick to baseball.

I hear those type of comments a lot. It's really easy for a guy to say he would choose baseball. The problem is baseball is a freaking brutal sport to be good at. In football you are competing against a bunch of American athletes. You also go right to "the show" if you are good.

In baseball? You get past the first or second round and you aren't getting a living wage.

If health were really the dominating decision maker for these athletes, they would obviously choose baseball or basketball. I don't think health is the motivating factor. I wonder if 18 year Randall-El would look at the options before him and still stick with baseball.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I wonder if 18 year Randall-El would look at the options before him and still stick with baseball.

You know the answer to that & I know the answer to that ... and it'd be the same choice he made the first time.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #317
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You know the answer to that & I know the answer to that ... and it'd be the same choice he made the first time.

What would have been interesting for him is had he switched to baseball after college. I wonder if playing QB did as much damage in his time at that position as the time he spent at WR did.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #318
MrBug708
Head Coach

These athletes who say they would pick another sport instead. The vast majority play the one they were the best at. And when Randall El failed at baseball and was possibly working at a Dick's sporting goods, he'd wonder if he should have picked football.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #319
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Raiders, Oakland to work on a lease for 2016 | ProFootballTalk

Am I the only one that would play hardball with the Raiders on this lease? Getting them to commit for more than a single season.

Not at all. I would rake them over the coals unless they gave me a multi-year deal. They have no leverage whatsoever, rip them a new one.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm fairly sure Randel El would have had at least 3/5 elite tools in baseball(fielding, speed, throwing)and his 14th round selection was based on the fact that he was signed to play college football. But who really knows.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #321
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Not at all. I would rake them over the coals unless they gave me a multi-year deal. They have no leverage whatsoever, rip them a new one.

Really? You think the NFL doesn't have other options? Oakland tells the Raiders they won't sign a multi year deal in that POS stadium and the NFL will force Oakland to stay?

The only reason Oakland kept the Raiders right now is because of Al Davis and their vendetta against him. (along with Silent Stan's money) The Raiders would like to wait until the rest of the dominos fall before they make their decision, but if forced they could be out of Oakland next week and the owners would approve it. (Toronto, San Antonio, St. Louis, San Diego (which would still have a superior stadium to the one in Oakland), etc.

Sorry, I disagree. Oakland has zero leverage here. When your stadium has multiple sewage problems each year, you really can't hold anyone hostage.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #322
Thomkal
Head Coach

Johnny just can't stay out of trouble it seems. By all means Dallas trade for him

Report: Police Question Johnny Manziel Over An "Altercation" With His Girlfriend [UPDATE]
Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #323
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

So Manziel's girlfriend calls the cops, claims there was an assault, disappears when the cops get there, won'y cooperate with the cops when they do find her, claims her boyfriend (Manziel) is in danger, and when the cops do find him, he's fine.

WHY is this a story? If anything, it speaks to her character, not his.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #324
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
So Manziel's girlfriend calls the cops, claims there was an assault, disappears when the cops get there, won'y cooperate with the cops when they do find her, claims her boyfriend (Manziel) is in danger, and when the cops do find him, he's fine.

WHY is this a story? If anything, it speaks to her character, not his.

I did not see or it wasn't there when I posted this-about the Fort Worth PD statement. It does sound like here its the girlfriend who is troubled. So what happened with the assault? who was involved? Its a story because Johnny is associated with her. These days anything in his "orbit" is going to be reported on.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #325
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I did not see or it wasn't there when I posted this-about the Fort Worth PD statement. It does sound like here its the girlfriend who is troubled. So what happened with the assault? who was involved? Its a story because Johnny is associated with her. These days anything in his "orbit" is going to be reported on.

Pretty much. This is an instance of the problem being "us" and not him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #326
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

or him choosing who he associates with as has been a problem for a while...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #327
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

looks like megatron is retiring... seems like the 2 best players in my memmory to retire young were both Lions....

GIT R DUN!!!

Last edited by claphamsa : 01-31-2016 at 06:30 PM.
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:23 PM   #328
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

then again, he has banked 113M so...why keep playing

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:03 PM   #329
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Megatron, HOF or not? I thought, "Oh yea, one of if not the greatest WR in this generation."

Then I looked at the numbers and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Career vs Peak

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-31-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #330
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

ive always struggled to understand the offensive stats in NFL, its so variable on talent around you and system....we need an NFL WAR!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will be interesting to see how intent they are on making him pay back the 3.2
Old 01-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #332
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
looks like megatron is retiring... seems like the 2 best players ever to retire young were both Lions....

Ever?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #333
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Calvin Johnson needs to do what is best for him.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #334
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

fixed

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #335
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, better.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #336
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
or him choosing who he associates with as has been a problem for a while...

I think we've all had a crazy girlfriend before settling down.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #337
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I honestly don't think Calvin is quite HoF material, but if Terrell Davis got in, then Calvin could too. He had those 3 really good years 2011 to 2013, but really wasn't at the top of his position for more than that. There are just too many receivers in line to get in, and guys like Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, T.O, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, etc. deserve it more in my opinion for their consistency and longevity before Calvin gets in.

That's not to say Calvin wasn't great, but his numbers were really only tops in the game for a year or two and I just don't think that's enough in today's NFL to really separate from the field.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Megatron is a peak value argument. I think he was a position defining player and people will talk about him for far longer than guys like Holt, Harrison, and Johnson at least. If there's still an NFL in 20 years, your children/grandchildren will ask what it was like to see him play.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #339
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I like Calvin Johnson a lot. He seems like a super class act and a great guy.

But I also see a lot of people on the internet talking about him retiring in his prime. I don't see that. He is no longer in his prime. He's still an above-average player. But he was clearly entering the grizzled veteran stage of his career. This isn't like he chose to retire after the 2012 season.

I guess we are so used to athletes playing until they literally are unable to play anymore that we find it notable when a guy with anything left in the tank decides to quit.

Wish him all the best. Certainly a unique talent.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #340
cuervo72
Head Coach

Similar Players:

Career Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Cris Collinsworth, Sterling Sharpe, John Gilliam, Mark Clayton, Bob Hayes*, Laveranues Coles, Herman Moore, Mark Duper
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #341
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Not sure I see Calvin Johnson as a Hall of Famer.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #342
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
then again, he has banked 113M so...why keep playing

$113M goes a long ways in Detroit anymore.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #343
CraigSca
Pro Starter

To ease Detroit's pain, at least they were to score Randy Edsall.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #344
Kodos
Resident Alien

The influence of Peyton Manning can be seen in how numbers changed since he arrived - NFL

Interesting article about Manning.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #345
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Everything in this thread from post #327 - #343 sucks.

Calvin Johnson will be in the Hall of Fame.

I keep seeing a lot of chatter about people think Cam Newton is bad or a thug or something. I have no idea what's happening here. He seems like a super nice, friendly, out going, sharp-dressed guy. I don't get this. It's stupid. Much like posts #327 - #343.

The NFL is also stupid.

I don't care who plays in Los Angeles.

Randy Edsall is also stupid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #346
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I keep seeing a lot of chatter about people think Cam Newton is bad or a thug or something. I have no idea what's happening here. He seems like a super nice, friendly, out going, sharp-dressed guy. I don't get this. It's stupid.

I have no idea where this has come from. I think you can basically make any extreme story you want from cherry picking stupid shit off the Facebook or off the Twitter or off the America On The Line. Raci$m sells, we love it and are enthralled by it, so we have to endure RACIST 'MURICA stories because a black guy is the quarterback in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-01-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #347
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no idea where this has come from.

He's an unlikable showboat, so he's getting called out by noted racists like ... Charles Barkley. "Thug" might, in this instance, be an inaccurate use of the word. Then again, him playing the race card was so silly that maybe it isn't all that far off either. People don't Cam-hate because he's black, they Cam-hate because he's an insufferable asshole on the field.

The Cam Newton hate is over his showboating, not his race « Hot Air Headlines
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #348
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
He's an unlikable showboat, so he's getting called out by noted racists like ... Charles Barkley. "Thug" might, in this instance, be an inaccurate use of the word. Then again, him playing the race card was so silly that maybe it isn't all that far off either. People don't Cam-hate because he's black, they Cam-hate because he's an insufferable asshole on the field.

And the outrage over Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, JJ Watt, etc?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #349
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

He seems to genuinely have fun playing the game. The league needs more like him.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #350
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
And the outrage over Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, JJ Watt, etc?

What outrage? All I know about any of this is what I've seen on ESPN. (EDIT: And I'm not saying there isn't, but none of my friends are outraged by Cam Newton...they may or may not like him and some may not like him because of his celebrations but they aren't outraged.)

Last edited by Dutch : 02-01-2016 at 08:04 PM.