Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #3551
Critch
lolzcat

Liked Alice in Borderland, got through the 8 episodes in the last 3 nights. Netflix original, only one season so far but with a second commissioned.

It's a Japanese show based on an old manga/anime (not sure which, but not sure what the difference is anyway). People find themselves in a deserted Tokyo and have to play violent games to win playing cards and visas that allow them to live until their next game. It's a bit violent, and a bit twisty-turny. Not award winning tv, but entertaining.

I also watched three seasons of Doom Patrol. Not sure why, it was a bit crap.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:46 PM   #3552
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ricky Gervais's "After Life" is still one of my very favorite series. I wasn't expecting season 3, but he 100% hits the mark so many times in this one. He really attacks the realities of dealing with death, and people and moving on, while not wanting to. I'll rewatch is all again easy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:32 PM   #3553
molson
General Manager

Ricky Gervais has mastered his style - his show characters are all painfully normal, average looking, weird - you laugh at their antics, but then suddenly, at some moment later in the series, you're actually vested in them and care what happens to them. Because everyone is just so flawed and vulnerable and unlike other types of characters you get used to seeing over and over again on TV.

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2022 at 10:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:26 AM   #3554
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One of the best opening credits scenes in all of TV.

Without question. Loving this show. Vigilante is fantastic.

I’ve also really been enjoying Station 11, Vox Machina, and Yellowjackets.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #3555
Atocep
Coordinator

I can't wait for this.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #3556
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Woman That Lives Across The Street From The Girl In The Window was majorly disappointing. Just pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Love Kristen Bell, but this show was not good.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #3557
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

‘Futurama’ Revived On Hulu; John DiMaggio Not Returning As Bender – Deadline

It's back again baby!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #3558
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Good News Everyone!

Old 02-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #3559
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Agreed. Love Kristen Bell.

Had to watch the scenes she "apologized" for....I was ultimately disappointed.

Like Steam?

Old 02-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #3560
RainMaker
General Manager

Reacher on Amazon Prime kicks ass. If you liked Banshee, you'll like this.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #3561
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Never seen Banshee, but the first two episodes of Reacher were pretty good

Spoiler

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-10-2022 at 03:47 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #3562
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Finished up Reacher last night and really enjoyed it.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #3563
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Reacher on Amazon Prime kicks ass. If you liked Banshee, you'll like this.

thanks, I'll have to check it out. Finally finished Banshee season 4 several months back after like a 4 year break after season 3. one of my favorite shows of all time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #3564
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to these 2.

Space Force s2 coming out Feb 18 on Netflix.
Orville s3 coming out Jun 2 on Hulu

Thinking about dropping Disney & AppleTV for now and getting Paramount to catch up on Discovery and Picard is coming out in Mar.

Is there one software, app that I can log into and easily control all these subscriptions?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #3565
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not streaming, but Reelz is premiering a documentary on Sunday night about the Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people during a Great White concert. Sunday is the 19th anniversary of the fire. It's called The Guest list, but in typical reality TV fashion, they felt compelled to add AMERICA'S DEADLIEST ROCK CONCERT to the title.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:23 AM   #3566
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching some Ray Donovan on Peacock.

He really drinks a lot of whiskey, 1-2 shots if good for me. He gulps then down.

Also, he must live in a world where there is not video cams at boat docks, fancy apartments etc.

I don't like Mickey. He's okay in small doses but he's at the same level as Ray with scenes etc. and beyond belief he hasn't been killed already.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-19-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #3567
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some recent shows I’ve been watching:

Station Eleven: It’s a 10 part limited series based on a book about a global flu pandemic that wipes out 99% of the human population. Hits a little close to home given the current environment. It takes place in a few different timelines. It’s an excellent show. Really fantastic. One of the best of last year. On HBO Max.

Peacemaker: HBO Max show based on John Cena’s character from the new Suicide Squad movie. Just wrapped up it’s first season. I loved it. Super funny and really managed to make Peacemaker an interesting and complex character. One of the best opening sequences ever and Vigilante is the best.

All Of Us Are Dead: Another Korean zombie show. This time in a school. Only two episodes in, but it’s great so far. Koreans are cornering the market on zombie fare after this, The Kingdom and Train To Busan. On Netflix.

Legend of Vox Machina: An animated D&D show based off of the Critical Roll streaming show. I’m not at all familiar with Critical Roll, but have enjoyed the animated show. It’s funny, gory and all around delightful. On Amazon Prime.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #3568
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Yeah....no DiMaggio, no thanks.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #3569
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Not streaming, but Reelz is premiering a documentary on Sunday night about the Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people during a Great White concert. Sunday is the 19th anniversary of the fire. It's called The Guest list, but in typical reality TV fashion, they felt compelled to add AMERICA'S DEADLIEST ROCK CONCERT to the title.

I watched this late Sunday night and it was intense. 75% heartbreaking, 20% infuriating and 5% inspirational. I did not know the history of Joe Kinan the last survivor pulled out of the fire, and I am in awe of how his life has progressed since that day. And Dee Snider is always a treat to listen to because he never holds back and doesn't sugarcoat anything.

Tough to watch but I recommend it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #3570
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow, The American's is so good. It's been on my watchlist for so long, and I convinced the wife to watch it and we've hammered through 2.5 seasons in about a week. It's incredible.

And I apologize if I've ever said anything bad about Keri Russell, she's so freaking amazing.

Like Steam?

Old 02-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #3571
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Wow, The American's is so good. It's been on my watchlist for so long, and I convinced the wife to watch it and we've hammered through 2.5 seasons in about a week. It's incredible.

And I apologize if I've ever said anything bad about Keri Russell, she's so freaking amazing.

Glad to hear you finally are watching it. One of my favorite series of all time!
Old 02-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #3572
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I want to watch it but wife just refuses. Why, I have no idea. She has several shows like this and Better Call Saul that she just will not watch without reason.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #3573
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I want to watch it but wife just refuses. Why, I have no idea. She has several shows like this and Better Call Saul that she just will not watch without reason.

Better Call Saul is, also, amazing. Do you have any chance to go solo on any of these? Fire up an iPad with some earbuds?

I watch almost everything by myself. My wife isn’t a TV watcher. She will only watch a very small number of shows, so I’m left on my own for most things I watch. I tend to watch my stories first thing in the morning while I drink coffee and have some sort of sweet, delicious unhealthy breakfast treat. It is the way.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #3574
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished Space Force s2. It was fun but eh.

I like how they setup s3 with the finale.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:40 AM   #3575
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched a couple episodes of The Americans. I enjoyed it and will continue watching it.

But Keri "the scene" was gratuitous and unnecessary IMO. I know its rated TV-MA but that rape scene should be called out explicitly.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-25-2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #3576
Ksyrup

I spent the better part of 30 minutes last night scrolling through My List and then generally scrolling through a couple of different categories and couldn't find a single thing I wanted to watch. Good thing my kids are making use of NF so the cost is (somewhat) worth it.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #3577
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watched a couple episodes of The Americans. I enjoyed it and will continue watching it.

But Keri "the scene" was gratuitous and unnecessary IMO. I know its rated TV-MA but that rape scene should be called out explicitly.
It gets much better and I think you'll really get into it. The last season is a total dud, however, but it's all in service of the series finale which is one of the best series-enders ever.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #3578
PilotMan
Head Coach

The "Martha" storyline in The Americans is one of the most tragic and heart wrenching lines that I've seen. It's a long play, and it's a long decent with no redemption and it's just a deeply sad character arc. I don't think I've ever been that invested in a side character in a long, long time.

Like Steam?

Old 02-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #3579
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The "Martha" storyline in The Americans is one of the most tragic and heart wrenching lines that I've seen. It's a long play, and it's a long decent with no redemption and it's just a deeply sad character arc. I don't think I've ever been that invested in a side character in a long, long time.
Agreed. It's so compelling that her importance to the overall arc of the show only hits home once her main service to the story line is over. "Tragic" is the perfect word.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #3580
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
It gets much better and I think you'll really get into it. The last season is a total dud, however, but it's all in service of the series finale which is one of the best series-enders ever.

I'm up to episode 4. I'm enjoying the acting & storyline. However, I'm no prude but don't think I can watch this with the missus (and certainly not the kids).

Apparently it came out on FX? Which means it was easily available via cable. US standards on what is appropriate for TV sure has changed.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:07 AM   #3581
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Just started watching Reacher on Amazon last night. Having read a bunch of the Lee Child books I was hopeful this adaptation was going to be closer to the original work, and I'm happy to report it is. I'm sorry, but Tom Cruise attempting to play Jack Reacher is just ridiculous. The TV series is following the story of the very first book "The Killing Floor". I'm about 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-28-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #3582
RainMaker
General Manager

Really have enjoyed For All Mankind. Joel Kinnamen is terrific in this.

For those not familiar, it's an alternative history show about if the Soviets had gotten to the moon first. Solid space/NASA drama with the cool butterfly effect of that event and how it rippled through history.

Not sure what the budget was for the show but the space stuff is all incredibly well done. As good as any movie I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Just started watching Reacher on Amazon last night. Having read a bunch of the Lee Child books I was hopeful this adaptation was going to be closer to the original work, and I'm happy to report it is. I'm sorry, but Tom Cruise attempting to play Jack Reacher is just ridiculous. The TV series is following the story of the very first book "The Killing Floor". I'm about 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.

Yeah, a few minor changes, but all in all, it's what I envision Reacher to be. Show kicks ass. Already got renewed too.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #3583
kingfc22
Head Coach

I’d echo this. I’m about to wrap up season 2 of For All Mankind after binging through season 1 as well. A good group of unique and built out characters that allows the show to have a good number of storylines going on besides the main Russia v. USA spade battle.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #3584
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Yeah....no DiMaggio, no thanks.

'Futurama' Star John DiMaggio Joins Hulu Revival: 'I'm Back, Baby!' - Variety
Old 03-04-2022, 02:25 AM   #3585
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:12 AM   #3586
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished watching Netflix's Vikings: Valhalla.

Read up on how accurate it was. Essentially the main players real but they didn't exist (or were adults) at the same time. Events were real but didn't quite align with the true timeline etc. I guess to be expected.

But still a pretty good show, lots of nice fighting action. One thing I learn was there truly were Vikings that converted to Christianity and there was tension with other Pagan Vikings.

Go Shield Maidens!
Old 03-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #3587
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wife and I last year decided we would watch all the oscar nominees for best picture

So far we have seen

Dune- OK, typical sci-fan. Not a fan of the book or genre

Don't look up- Really enjoyed it a lot but understands it doesn't stand a chance

Belfast- Liked it more than I thought, typical artsy Oscar type movie but some great one liners.

King Richard- Our favorite so far. Smith was awesome. Really enjoyable. My 8 year old daughter loved it
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #3588
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/media...est/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:54 PM   #3589
Critch
lolzcat

Finished Station Eleven a couple of nights ago. I also read the book a couple of years ago, not a bad adaptation but the longer the series went on the more it diverged, and the more it diverged the worse it got. The ending was a bit of a mess.

Looked good, and well put together with the timeline jumping though.

Season Two of Raised by Wolves is next up.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:07 PM   #3590
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Season Two of Raised by Wolves is next up.

I think it's good. It's just so weird that I don't know what I'm watching half the time.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #3591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I’ve started watching Severance on Apple+. It’s fantastic so far. Interesting concept - people work at a place that servers their memories when they go to work. So, they have no idea who they are or what the world is even like while they’re at work and when they leave, they have no memory of what they did while working.

Definitely recommend it.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:09 AM   #3592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just watched The Rescue on Disney plus. It is a documentary about the rescue of the 12 kids and their coach from the caves in Thailand. Absolutely riveting despite knowing the outcome. By the end wife and I were both in tears.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #3593
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Finished watching Netflix's Vikings: Valhalla.

Read up on how accurate it was. Essentially the main players real but they didn't exist (or were adults) at the same time. Events were real but didn't quite align with the true timeline etc. I guess to be expected.

But still a pretty good show, lots of nice fighting action. One thing I learn was there truly were Vikings that converted to Christianity and there was tension with other Pagan Vikings.

Go Shield Maidens!

Finished this last night. It was enjoyable for what it is.

I doubt anyone else cares (and least of all my wife), but it bugs me that despite being set in the 1000s all the Vikings look like they just finished looting Lindisfarne back in 793 CE. Even the fact that they call themselves 'vikings' at this point in time is off. None of it matters at all to the story etc., but for me it feels like watching a movie on the Vietnam war with the Americans flying the Union Jack and calling themselves a British Colony.

On the plus side, some impressive scenes and special effects - the whole London Bridge episode in particular, plus the battle in the final episode, all very impressive. The cast for the most part are all solid too. We never made it through the original series of Vikings and dropped it after a few seasons, but I think with a clear ending in sight for this one re: 1066 we'll stick with it for the 3 seasons.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #3594
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

We just finished watching Life & Beth. It was enjoyable. It is definitely not what you would expect from Amy Schumer.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #3595
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For the second year in a row wife and I made an effort to watch all the Oscar nominated movies and did all but one. We left out Drive My Car. Not doing a 3 hour movie with subtitles

My rankings

CODA- absolutely fantastic. Just a great story about family. Well written and acted. Perfect mix of funny and poignant.

King Richard- Smith is deserving of the Oscar for best actor. He was excellent and it was a great story with some stuff I didn't know about.

Don't Look Up- Great cast, quirky acting. some funny parts. An enjoyable film

Belfast- Kind of weird but in a good way. I liked the kid. Cool cinematography

dune- Classic sci-fi. I didn't read the books so I have no frame of reference. looking forward to the second one.

West Side Story- It was a musical. Songs and acting were good, it was long. Not sure it is worthy of an oscar nomination

Nightmare alley- Kind of weird but in a good way

Licorice Pizza- Was kind of all over the place. I like the girl but the movie was too flat.

The Power of the Dog- totally boring. Kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Just a snoozefest, which is why it is the favorite, just like Nomadland.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:42 PM   #3596
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Will Smith.....WTF was that. Get over yourself. Rock should file assault charges
Old 03-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #3597
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I’ve started watching Severance on Apple+. It’s fantastic so far. Interesting concept - people work at a place that servers their memories when they go to work. So, they have no idea who they are or what the world is even like while they’re at work and when they leave, they have no memory of what they did while working.

Definitely recommend it.

It's a slow burn but 100% recommended.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #3598
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Wargames this past weekend.

Movie ahead of its time with the "hacking" and AI w/speech.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:53 PM   #3599
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Watched Wargames this past weekend.

Movie ahead of its time with the "hacking" and AI w/speech.

One of my all-time favorite movies. I've probably seen it at least 100 times (no exaggeration).
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #3600
QuikSand
lolzcat

https://www.hulu.com/movie/derek-del...f-e25fe10c7299

It's a one-of-a-kind thing. I found it very moving and interesting, and I recommend it. I would think that seeing the live show could be really enchanting.

Some disagree, and I guess I can see why, as well.

The guy is a highly trained "magician" and there are a number of card tricks and such things, but he's aiming for something different than just a magic show. But, I suppose, if you'd totally hate a magic show, then skip this.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote