Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #3701
NewIdentity
High School JV

2012 gets 9/10 A great movie, I don't get the bad publicity.

A solid 8 for the action adventure side, but gets another point for the added humor. This is a pretty funny movie with a lot of good laughs in it.

I wonder who was opriginally cast for the lead, I bet it wasn't Cusak and all the great comedy in the movie was added later.

Wood Harelson was hilarious as the wacked out conspiracy nut.

Car, Start....... That was freakin hilarious.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-17-2009 at 05:03 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #3702
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

2012 - 8/10

A solid entertaining movie with some funny moments and some tear jerkers as well if you have kids. I thought the movie was very well done but it does require a bit of suspension of reality. This is not a complaint of course because if you go to see this movie you should probably know that already. Gotta go make my plans for 2012.

Oh yeah the car start part is confirmed as one of the funnier movie moments in a while.

All Fixed

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 11-17-2009 at 04:29 PM.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #3703
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
2010 - 8/10.

2010 some sort of webispide prequel (that apparently borrows the same jokes) to 2012?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #3704
watravaler
High School JV

Saw Fargo for the first time. Don't think it's a 10/10 like many others seem to, but it was certainly entertaining. 8.5/10
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #3705
endemicFOF
n00b

Two music documentaries, both were amazing and both featured ridiculously talented musicians who suffered from serious mental illness. I can't believe I had never heard of the 13th Floor Elevators before viewing, what an euphoric sound.

You're Gonna Miss Me(2005) profiles Roky Erickson, lead singer of the 1960's band 13th Story Elevators. Groups like Led Zepplin were clearly influenced by this band, and Roky's singing voice is on par with the best of the best in the rock n roll world. Don't want to spoil anything, but check it asap...amazing show. 8/10

The Devil and Daniel Johnston: Profiles Dan Johnston, who pretty much lived in his garage making music. Obviously crazy, but the music speaks for itself. A better film than You're Gonna Miss Me due to main character. 9.5/10

Last edited by endemicFOF : 11-17-2009 at 01:09 PM.
endemicFOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #3706
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Scanning back on the reviews for 2012 I don't exactly get it. To me it wasn't nearly humorous as some people seem to think it was. There were a couple of times where I chuckled, but generally speaking I was fairly bored outside of the action sequences, which pretty much all of the early ones were already shown via the previews. Since they bounced around to so many different characters, it felt like it took a long time to really get going. I won't even mention the head scratcher moments. The action sequences were awesome though, but since the movie was so long, they felt too spread out.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #3707
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quarantine 8 out of 10. A zombie movie featuring the Blair Witch shaky camera, although the camera was not nearly as bad (perhaps because I watched it on TV rather than at the theater) as it was in BWT. The acting was good, and it was a fairly intense movie. Outside of a few too many instances where people who've seen zombie attacks put themselves in a vulnerable position with someone who is obviously about to turn, it was very enjoyable. I recommend it for any zombie fans out there.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #3708
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
dola

And I tell you what, anyone who lives in Sydney and watches the chase at the end of that movie with Neo and Agent Smith will find it very amusing as the actors run past a familiar building, take a turn, and are suddenly 15 minutes down the road.

I had the same feeling watching Breaking Away. They were biking around Bloomington with no regard to continuity.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #3709
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Tropic Thunder (8 / 10): One of the funnier movies I've seen in quite a while. There were a few parts that were "meh," and frankly it could have done just as well without Nick Nolte, but it was pretty funny. But what pushed this to an 8 was Tom Cruise. I never thought I'd find myself typing this, but he was absolutely hilarious. Completely stole the show IMO.

Cross of Iron (7 / 10): A pretty good Sam Peckinpah piece about the Eastern Front during World War 2. I could have done without the obvious anti-war aspects, but it was still a pretty good flick with good action sequences for its day. I wish we could see what Sam could have done with modern movie effects.

Fast and Furious (5 / 10): Completely unrealistic with plot holes you could drive a Chevelle through. I am now officially sick of Dom Toretto (who has apparently replaced Superman as the Man of Steel, based on the events of this flick). Still, if you like hot cars and scantily-clad chicks, this might be worth your time.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #3710
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Since they bounced around to so many different characters, it felt like it took a long time to really get going. I won't even mention the head scratcher moments. The action sequences were awesome though, but since the movie was so long, they felt too spread out.
I think the bigest problem with your idea of too many characters is the fact that the lead character is a Joe Nobody. Every other Disaster movie out there has the main character as a somebody, Scientist, Engineer, Politcal Leader, Conspiracy Nut. But, not this movie, hell this character is not even a Top in his field; actually truth be told pretty much the opposite.

The main characters role has nothing to do with story development in this movie. The main character has no role what so ever in the Big Picture. Just an extremely ordinary guy trying to get his family through a crisis. This is what makes this "disaster" movie different from most of the others I have seen.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-21-2009 at 04:49 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #3711
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Milk (6 / 10): A compelling enough story, and Penn was his usual brilliant self acting-wise (the man should stick to acting, and leave the politics to the people who know what they're doing), but I had one significant issue with this movie. I found a lot of the characters to be annoying. I understand that they were very much trying to tell these peoples' stories in a truthful way, and I appreciate that, but some of the characters were really obnoxious to the point of distracting from the story.

Cocaine Cowboys (8 / 10): I don't remember if this was recommended by someone in this thread or not, but if it was, I have to say "thank you." This was a very well put-together documentary about Miami in the late 70s and early 80s, during the height of the city's cocaine immersion. It is largely told through first-hand accounts of people who were there and were heavily involved, including two of the city's biggest drug-runners as well as a confessed hitman for one of the cartels. It really brought home just how awash the city was in drugs at the time, and how the massive amount of drug-money involved completely altered the city's economy.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #3712
whomario
Pro Starter

Watched Into The Wild last night again and still got chills, again ... Maybe it´s the story more than the movie itself, but i won´t let that spoil it for me regardless. Of course it´s melodramatic at some points and isn´t critical about the "bad" aspects at all, but so what ?
The book is different in that aspect, but i still found the film amazing.
If anyone is interested, the original story by Jon Krakauer published in Outside Magazine back in 1993 : Into The Wild - The Story of Chris McCandless by Jon Krakauer | Outside Online

9.5/10
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #3713
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 10/10: Saw it yesterday and loved it completely. Then again, I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan (quirkier the better), so this was right up my alley, and it obviously has his fingerprints all over it. The animation was absolutely gorgeous - it was stop motion with puppets. And if there is one (voice) actor who really seems to fit in perfectly with Anderson's type of movie, George Clooney is it and he does a fabulous job. There are a lot of cute things in the movie as well, as replacing all cuss words with "cuss" and the way the foxs' eat. Highly recommended.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #3714
RainMaker
General Manager

The Crusades (8 out of 10) - This was a History Channel special and I thought extremely informative. They used historical accounts from both sides and I thought it was relatively even-handed. Always been a fan of the historical shows that involve re-creations and some acting. 3 hours in length and available on Netflix. Definitely a good experience if you're into history type stuff.

Star Trek (9 out of 10) - Never really watched Star Trek but liked the movie a lot. Wish I had seen it at the theater. Ton of action, interesting story, and some good acting (I liked Spock). Total guy movie and right up my alley.

Thin Blue Line (8 out of 10) - A documentary from the 80's that helped release an innocent man from jail for a murder he never commited. Sad and moving story that shows that thin line that exists between our police and its citizens. Despite the attention given to the police at times, this seemed more about an ambituous sociopath District Attorney than bad cops.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #3715
Bad-example
College Starter

Star Trek - 5/10

Ouch. Not sure why they decided to make the Enterprise bridge look like the place I buy glasses but I think I saw a Sunglass Hut sign in the background. The love story with Uhura and Spock was completely lame. The guy playing Scotty was embarrassingly bad.

Swing and a miss.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #3716
rowech
Pro Starter

The Wrestler -- (7/10) -- I was expecting a bit more to be honest. Still a good movie. Somewhat sad to think so many of the wrestlers I watched growing up might have ended up in similar situations.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #3717
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
[b]The guy playing Scotty was embarrassingly bad.

You are now on my ignore list.

Simon Pegg is a god.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #3718
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

The Road - 6/10

Haven't read the book so this rating is based on the movie. I might have liked it more if I saw it before 2012 because I thought the movie moved really slow. So slow in fact that Antmeister actually fell asleep. My mind drifted a few times and it wasn't until the father started getting really sick that the movie started going somewhere.

Ink - 8.5/10

The acting wasn't the best but it made up for it with great story telling, cinematography, editing and visual effects. It's on Netflix Watch Instantly if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 11-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #3719
JediKooter
Coordinator

2012 - 5/10

Movie should have been called, "This Movie Seriously Needs an Editor". Almost 3 hours long and not directed by Stephen Jackson are two red flags. I'm fine with exposition as long as it's not done 3 or 4 or 5 times before the shit hits the fan. Roger Murtock does good transitioning from LA cop to American President and John Cusack isn't too bad either. It is amazing though how one book that was only bought by a couple hundred people can get you out of so much trouble. Not a BAD movie per se, but, could have been edited down to about an hour and a half, so that's why it only gets 5 out of 10.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 12-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #3720
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Precious - 6/10

Powerful story but I just didn't feel it.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 12-02-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #3721
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Monster Camp - 8.5/10 - If you know what LARP means, this documentary will likely either be amusing or inspiring. If you do NOT know what LARP means, or if you know what it means and think its silly, this will be hilarious.

Word Wars - 8/10 - Follows 4 scrabble players through their preparation for a big tournament. All 4 characters are incredibly diverse, down to the street wise pot smoker, who steals the film, IMO. Nice sappy ending and intriguing all the way through if you're into Scrabble at all. I play about 5 times better now after watching this.

Both of the above were recently available for instant viewing on Netflix, not sure if they still are, but they're fun and entertaining.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #3722
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - 8/10 lucky crack pipes - Werner Herzog directs Nicholas Cage, as he chews up everything in sight, going batshit insane. From the beginning, it's pretty obvious that neither Herzog or Cage are trying to make a masterpiece, or any kind of artistic 'statement' and would rather just see how far off the rails they can take the police-procedural. I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish, and there are some awesome scenes, even if it falls on its face more than a few times along the way, in typical Herzogian fashion.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #3723
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Funny People (5/10) -- Most of my thoughts have already been touched on, but an overall disappointing film for me. It had the makings of a good movie with good characters, some good laughs (the standup routines, George's movies, the interactions with real celebrities), and an interesting premise, but I think introducing the love interest's family was the mistake that keeps this movie from being really good. We really didn't need to see Leslie Mann's family/house/husband -- all it did was add an extra 45-minutes to the movie. Bana was pretty awful (I cannot believe that is his real accent, it sounds worse than a fake to me) and it felt indulgent, to me, for Apatow to feature his children and wife so much. I didn't like that we had to go the extra mile to see how Bana and Mann's marriage situation is resolved (I don't think anybody really cared why their marriage was falling apart, beyond the easily explained career travel) -- seeing how she affected George's life should have been the goal.

Anyway, not terrible, but not worth seeing in the theatre. I actually think there was probably a pretty good movie in there if Apatow (or someone not so attached to the actors) edited it down to 90 or 105 minutes.

I finally got around to watching this movie on DVD last night. I watched the extended version, and have to agree with everything Swaggs says here. The last 45 minutes with her family seemed out of place, enough so that I checked to make sure that this ending wasn't added on only in the extended edition.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #3724
JS19
College Prospect

Just finished The Wrestler. Pretty good, I was expecting more interaction and whatnot with him and his daughter, but I thought it was good how they stuck with the reality of the situation and shit doesn't always have a happy ending.

Oh yea, Marisa Tomei.... good for you.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #3725
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Oh yea, Marisa Tomei.... good for you.

Good for all of us!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #3726
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ninja Assassin - 4/10 : Ok, I'm a sucker for stupid fight scenes, lots of blood and swordplay. Bonus points for Ninjas or Vikings (the non-football version) being involved. If there was a Ninjas vs Vikings movie, I'd probably crap my pants. I should have loved this movie, but the 'plot' involving the forensic investigator.. ugh. Why must you ruin a good blood and gore movie with trying to put in words and plot beyond 'HIIIIIIIIIIIIII YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!' and vengeance is beyond me.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #3727
Groundhog
Coordinator

Where the Wild Things Are- 6/10

Hmmm... Not nearly as good as I had hoped. Very "childish", which I should've figured. There were a few moments that hinted at something darker underneath the surface, but it never really got deep enough into it, which again is probably fine for a kids movie.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #3728
sabotai
General Manager

Star Trek - 4/10

*sigh*

And I was perfectly fine with all of the changes. I was perfectly fine with a reboot. I wanted a reboot. But this...this was just a bad movie. It was like the writer(s) had some really cool ideas, but they didn't know how to get from cool idea A to cool idea B, so they just forced it like they didn't care. And it really showed in the characters' decisions. None of them made the least bit of sense.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #3729
Pyser
Pro Rookie

world's greatest dad - 7/10

what a black comedy should be. dark, funny in spite of the tragedy, and often because of it. i like robin williams much more when he isnt playing stuff for laughs. this was a solid movie, way to go bobcat goldthwait.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #3730
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
world's greatest dad - 7/10

what a black comedy should be. dark, funny in spite of the tragedy, and often because of it. i like robin williams much more when he isnt playing stuff for laughs. this was a solid movie, way to go bobcat goldthwait.

Agreed. A little awkward here and there, and I was waiting for a shoe to drop.. I liked not getting what I expected after that point. Bobcat has some skills I wouldn't have expected.

FUCK EA
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #3731
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - 8/10 - I laughed my ass off because the silly humor and the sight gags were right up my alley.. Great film to rent for the family, IMO. Mr. T kicks ass as the overzealous cop, and the whole voice cast is awesome.

FUCK EA
Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #3732
JediKooter
Coordinator

Very good movie. Great, no...outstanding work done on the avatar characters. I had a really hard time trying to figure out what was computer and what was 'live' sometimes with the faces. I gave it an 8.5 instead of something higher due to a little too much exposition and what looked like showing off of the CG elements that really didn't add to the story.

I'll leave it at that for now as to not ruin it for anyone.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 12-18-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #3733
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Very good movie. Great, no...outstanding work done on the avatar characters. I had a really hard time trying to figure out what was computer and what was 'live' sometimes with the faces. I gave it an 8.5 instead of something higher due to a little too much exposition and what looked like showing off of the CG elements that really didn't add to the story.

I'll leave it at that for now as to not ruin it for anyone.

Was the theater crowded? I'm really curious to see how this one does at the box office.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #3734
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Was the theater crowded? I'm really curious to see how this one does at the box office.

It wasn't crowded, BUT, that was due to our company renting the theater for us. So, we weren't mixed in with the public. However, I got there right at 9 in the morning (showing was at 9:30) and there were already people lined up outside waiting to see it, or at least I am assuming they were waiting to see it.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #3735
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Apparently the box office estimates aren't all that high for this movie. They are projecting a good, but not massive opening weekend.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #3736
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Apparently the box office estimates aren't all that high for this movie. They are projecting a good, but not massive opening weekend.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I put up a theory in Pyser's Box Office Prediction thread in the Dynasty section that this movie has Hollywood a lot more excited than actual fans/the paying public. Reasons being, Cameron's return, the ginormous budget and all of the techno innovations and claims that went into this one, and that all of that has also fueled a lot of the media gloss (hey, critics make their living off of this stuff, too).

But from actual people I know, not so much buzz. Everyone's heard of it, of course, and seen the commercials, and my guess is most will have it at or near the top of their list of movies to see (which will definitely help around Christmas), but I don't hear much buzz or excitement, like you might see with a long awaited sequel or a reboot in a series that has a set fanbase.

Not so many are running to go see it right now, like with other big time openings, from what I have seen. And some of those who might are actually less likely to go this weekend because they all think the theater will be packed end to end and would rather wait for a holiday break or something to try it out.

Pyser guessed $60 M this weekend, and I tend to agree with him on that one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #3737
Tasan
College Starter

Just got back from Avatar.

My very first reaction was that Lucas should have waited 10 more years to do the prequels. The visuals are absolutely stunning, and all meld very well together. I will mention at this point that I saw it in IMAX 3D, so YMMV when watching it on a lesser screen.

Besides a little heavy handed preaching and a bit over the top military commander, I really enjoyed the movie I think. I'm still going over it in my head though, so I'm not totally locked in yet.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3738
Tasan
College Starter

Oh and to answer the "fullness" question.

There were a lot more folks there than an average noon movie, even for blockbusters. I've been to a few with the way my work goes. I expected half full for noon on what is for most people still a work day, and it was 3/4 to 4/5 or more full, even at the high IMAX+3D price.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #3739
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I put up a theory in Pyser's Box Office Prediction thread in the Dynasty section that this movie has Hollywood a lot more excited than actual fans/the paying public. Reasons being, Cameron's return, the ginormous budget and all of the techno innovations and claims that went into this one, and that all of that has also fueled a lot of the media gloss (hey, critics make their living off of this stuff, too).

But from actual people I know, not so much buzz. Everyone's heard of it, of course, and seen the commercials, and my guess is most will have it at or near the top of their list of movies to see (which will definitely help around Christmas), but I don't hear much buzz or excitement, like you might see with a long awaited sequel or a reboot in a series that has a set fanbase.

Not so many are running to go see it right now, like with other big time openings, from what I have seen. And some of those who might are actually less likely to go this weekend because they all think the theater will be packed end to end and would rather wait for a holiday break or something to try it out.

I've been getting more and more excited about this movie over the last week or so. I think I will definitely end up catching it in the theater.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #3740
Tasan
College Starter

And one more Avatar note for me.

Count me as one of the skeptical viewers going into this. Basically I was sent to the movie for the rest of my family to gauge my reaction. I had been 50/50 on whether I wanted to see it until I got a good deal on going today.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 AM   #3741
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

nice plug, thanks! (check the sig, ya'll)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #3742
rowech
Pro Starter

Invictus (7/10) -- This one is a perfect example of a good but not great movie. Be warned this movie is more about Mandela than the sports aspect of things. Some of the Rugby action is brutal. Morgan Freeman will win the Oscar for lead actor. Damon was solid. The support cast was good. I have two problems about it...some of the stuff is a little too overboard and there is a lack of focus on the players which makes you not care about the sports outcome as much as you should.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #3743
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Here is my take on Avatar, I give it a solid 7.5 / 10 and recommend watching it.

I saw it yesterday. I skipped the IMAX. It is an extra $5 tacked onto the ticket price for 3D and the IMAX was something like $14 extra. I did IMAX for Batman and it didn’t have anything extra in my opinion. There are some aerial scenes in this one that may have some benefit for IMAX, not sure. Maybe google it and see if other people think the IMAX is worth it or not.

The CGI is awesome and the 3D is very nice. The story line is good. Nothing really original and it is very predictable. Heavily laced with a specific political opinion and even takes some shots at a past presidential administration and of course spews hatred for corporations in general.

I give it a solid 7.5 out of 10, strongly based on the great special effects and the fantasy element.

I definitely recommend seeing it. The entertainment value was there. Even though the story line is average and predicable, it is well delivered. Also, I’m guessing if you want to do IMAX, you probably won’t be disappointed.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #3744
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think that's because it's Sci-Fi. Just not that many people who are thrilled about that kind of stuff. It doesn't make it a great date movie and women are probably a tad reluctant to go.

I wanted to see it but the girl I'm dating wasn't really thrilled about going. Since she went to a Bulls game with me the other night it was kind of like asking her to do two dates that she didn't really get much out of. So I passed for now but will probably end up seeing it with someone or her after the holidays.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #3745
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Invictus (7/10) -- This one is a perfect example of a good but not great movie. Be warned this movie is more about Mandela than the sports aspect of things. Some of the Rugby action is brutal. Morgan Freeman will win the Oscar for lead actor. Damon was solid. The support cast was good. I have two problems about it...some of the stuff is a little too overboard and there is a lack of focus on the players which makes you not care about the sports outcome as much as you should.

I guess it depends on what you expect from the movie. I never saw the previews as showing it as a sports movie that has aspects of Mandela, but always the other way around (a Mandela movie that has aspects of sport).
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #3746
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think that's because it's Sci-Fi. Just not that many people who are thrilled about that kind of stuff. It doesn't make it a great date movie and women are probably a tad reluctant to go.

I wanted to see it but the girl I'm dating wasn't really thrilled about going. Since she went to a Bulls game with me the other night it was kind of like asking her to do two dates that she didn't really get much out of. So I passed for now but will probably end up seeing it with someone or her after the holidays.

Its a love story. not that anyone actually knows that.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #3747
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Here is my take on Avatar, I give it a solid 7.5 / 10 and recommend watching it.

I saw it yesterday. I skipped the IMAX. It is an extra $5 tacked onto the ticket price for 3D and the IMAX was something like $14 extra. I did IMAX for Batman and it didn’t have anything extra in my opinion. There are some aerial scenes in this one that may have some benefit for IMAX, not sure. Maybe google it and see if other people think the IMAX is worth it or not.

The CGI is awesome and the 3D is very nice. The story line is good. Nothing really original and it is very predictable. Heavily laced with a specific political opinion and even takes some shots at a past presidential administration and of course spews hatred for corporations in general.

I give it a solid 7.5 out of 10, strongly based on the great special effects and the fantasy element.

I definitely recommend seeing it. The entertainment value was there. Even though the story line is average and predicable, it is well delivered. Also, I’m guessing if you want to do IMAX, you probably won’t be disappointed.

Shots at a past administration? Your the second person I've seen tag this as some sort of politico-statement movie. I never got that at all. It DOES focus on the evils of greed and money, but there is nothing political in this film.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #3748
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The whole anti-big corporation thing is pretty consistent in Cameron's work. Weyland-Yutani, the corporation in Aliens, was definitely evil as personified in Burke, the scumbag who tried to get Ripley and Newt face-hugged to bring the alien back to earth for their bio-weapons division.

Sarah Connor was none too kind to Cyberdine and poor Miles Dyson, essentially blaming "big corp" for the end of the world in T2.

Then you have the whole, upper class is evil/lower class is good dynamic going on in Titanic.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #3749
RainMaker
General Manager

My Dad said he thought it was somewhat political in nature but thought it mirrored the Native Americans more so than the recent stuff.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #3750
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Shots at a past administration? Your the second person I've seen tag this as some sort of politico-statement movie. I never got that at all. It DOES focus on the evils of greed and money, but there is nothing political in this film.

The love story part is true, so there is definately a possible apeal to female viewers. It is not just Sci-Fi action.

As for the Politico, read the spoiler. I don't really think I'm giving up anything that would really spoil the movie, but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler

That said, you may agree with the politics in the movie. Personally, I don't and generally that doesn't bother me. Although I do get tired of the same old drum beat from Hollywood. A little variety every now and then is nice. I took it as a fantasy backdrop and generally enjoyed the movie.

HB, the first thing I thought of was the whole Aleins thing and Paul Reisner (I think that was the actor) as the corporate evil thug.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote