Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #3801
General Mike
Pro Starter

As far as coach hiring skills go, you can only do so much when your budget limits you and timing issues. This is a school that was going to bring back Fred Hill Jr because they didn't want to eat 1.5M over 3 years and them went with another low salary hire in Rice. Now we'll get another low salary hire in Danny Hurley and he'll be fired after 4 years too.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #3802
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
On the flip side, I think his loyalty to Rice was troubling. If he can't think above the brand when they're playing in the Headless Horseman Conference, I can't even imagine he's read for the B1G. And I'm not really impressed with his coach hiring skills with them heading to the B1G. And if High Point Solutions is looking to exercise their out clause, they are probably just looking for an excuse to get out of the deal anyway, so I don't think that's as troubling as it seems. Probably just another case of him hooking up his peeps.

I probably wouldn't have fired Pernetti, but I'm not going to get upset about it either.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #3803
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Katz reporting that NC State is reworking the Purvis release, allowing him to go to any school outside the ACC. Makes a whole lot more sense, as what they currently had would create a recruiting nightmare.

3-point shot: Burke should sweep awards - Men's College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Quote:
NC State blocked Rodney Purvis from transferring to any ACC school or Missouri or Cincinnati, two schools on the Wolfpack's upcoming schedule. NC State athletic director Debbie Yow said she was OK with that because Purvis could be playing at NC State. I don't get this. It is being petty. It may not matter with Purvis likely headed to UConn. Still, blocking a player from transferring to a possible non-conference opponent, for one game a season, just looks small. I understand blocking teams from the conference; every league essentially looks to do that. But blocking transfers to a non-conference opponent is a weak response. Coaches have freedom of movement, even within a league, but players don't without having to give up a scholarship or fight for a waiver. UPDATE: Coach Mark Gottfried said the school is now reworking the release and has no problems releasing him to any school outside of the ACC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #3804
Logan
Head Coach

Resignation letter to the President:

Quote:
Dear Dr. Barchi:

I write in confirmation of our conversation earlier today during which we agreed that it was in the best interests of Rutgers University that I step down from my position as Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. I do so reluctantly because I always have and always will love Rutgers. I want to thank the people who have supported me throughout my years as a student-athlete and Athletic Director and help them understand my reasoning in this situation.

My continued tenure as Athletic Director is no longer sustainable for the University which I attended and where a piece of me will always remain. In connection with the incidents involving former basketball Coach Mike Rice, as was the case with all other matters which I handled on behalf of the University, I always tried my best to do what is right. I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on the events which led to today. As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately. However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel. Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal. I have admitted my role in, and regret for, that decision, and wish that I had the opportunity to go back and override it for the sake of everyone involved.

I trust that my tenure at Rutgers will not be judged by this one incident. I am proud of my efforts to lead Rutgers into the Big Ten, and of all of the accomplishments of our student-athletes in the classroom and on the field of play. I want to thank our great fans, the hardest working staff in collegiate athletics, and every one of our fine student-athletes. It has been my great pleasure to serve my alma mater.

Sincerely,

Tim Pernetti
Class of 1993
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #3805
General Mike
Pro Starter

Fucking bullshit university
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #3806
Izulde
Head Coach

Rumor going around that Mike Moser is transferring to Washington.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3807
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Resignation letter to the President:

Smart man to resign in that way rather than be fired. He can save his future career options and avoid being thrown under the bus by other administration.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #3808
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Big pickup for Washington if true. Assuming Moser is healthy, he probably contributes damn near as much as Aaron Gordon would have.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #3809
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

That would be a huge addition for us. He must dig Asian chicks
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3810
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Smart man to resign in that way rather than be fired. He can save his future career options and avoid being thrown under the bus by other administration.

Totally agree

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3811
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Curious to know what percentage Asians are at UW. MSU a couple of years ago reported 30% from China alone.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #3812
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Though he does give up the chance of his own wrongful termination suit (if, as he claims, he wanted to fire Rice but couldn't/didn't because of the university's methodical investigation.)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #3813
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Though he does give up the chance of his own wrongful termination suit (if, as he claims, he wanted to fire Rice but couldn't/didn't because of the university's methodical investigation.)

I'd say he can make more money by using the CYA method and saving future occupation as opposed to taking the legal route. Much less stressful too.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #3814
digamma
Torchbearer

The resignation wasn't for free, guys.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #3815
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Curious to know what percentage Asians are at UW. MSU a couple of years ago reported 30% from China alone.

Just checked Minnesota and they reported 10% for 2012, I had expected it to be higher. Probably just from the groups I'd hung out with while in college and that about half my close friends married Asian girls.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #3816
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Assuming you watched a lot of UNLV basketball last year - is it accurate to say that Moser's struggles last year were almost entirely due to his injury/injuries?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #3817
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

I wonder if filing a wrongful termination lawsuit would be counterproductive to securing another position in the industry...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #3818
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins confirms they haven't watched film, saying most of the guys have watched Michigan games on their own time

Twitter / everettcook: Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins ...

Sounds like solid strategy.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #3819
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Assuming you watched a lot of UNLV basketball last year - is it accurate to say that Moser's struggles last year were almost entirely due to his injury/injuries?

A lot of it was, yes. But he also struggled to fit in with the team setup after he came back from injury and his shot was down most of the year. It's worth noting that his minutes dropped a lot over the second half of the season, even after he'd been back for a while.

He's still a phenomenal rebounder, but I think ultimately how good he really is, is somewhere between last season and this year's.

We'll miss him, but not as much as I thought we would last year, to be honest. I've really liked what I've seen out of Savon Goodman this year, if Rice would want to give minutes at the 4.

But realistically, he wasn't likely to be a big part of the offense next year.

I've heard Nigel Williams-Goss had a lot to do with Moser transferring to you guys.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #3820
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Ugh. I need Cuse to beat Michigan.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3821
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

I need the opposite.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #3822
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

You havent been to any UC campus have you?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #3823
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

So do I......
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #3824
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Not necessarily, this could qualify as a constructive discharge action.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #3825
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Adidas stops selling shirt of Louisville's Kevin Ware - ESPN
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #3826
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The resignation wasn't for free, guys.

Quote:
Pernetti will be paid more than $1.25 million for resigning as part of a settlement, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported Friday. Pernetti also is still eligible to receive any bonus based on the success of Rutgers teams' athletic, financial or academic goals. He also gets to keep his laptop, iPad and car stipend until 2014, and his medical benefits and pension until 2015.

Rice's contract will pay him more than $1 million.

What digamma said.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #3827
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bringing it back 'round to the game of the night, does Wichita State even have a prayer?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #3828
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What digamma said.

What digamma posted lends even more credence to his statements concerning his story that he wanted to fire the coach but was not allowed to do so. If Rutgers allows him to make a statement saying that his management was basically the ones who decided not to fire him and yet they still pay him money on the way out, it's a good sign that what he's saying is the truth and will allow him to much more easily land a job down the road.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #3829
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Bringing it back 'round to the game of the night, does Wichita State even have a prayer?

Without question they do. They're a very cohesive team who have shown that they can beat good teams all year long.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #3830
britrock88
Pro Starter

1/6 chance per KenPom. There's also an interesting article on his blog detailing that WSU has had the most difficult path to the Final Four in the last decade.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3831
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What digamma posted lends even more credence to his statements concerning his story that he wanted to fire the coach but was not allowed to do so. If Rutgers allows him to make a statement saying that his management was basically the ones who decided not to fire him and yet they still pay him money on the way out, it's a good sign that what he's saying is the truth and will allow him to much more easily land a job down the road.
Yup - Pernetti was made the fall guy in this, and the administration knows it. I suspect we haven't seen the last of this fall out for all of this.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3832
bob
College Starter

I wish they'd make Louisville's guards dribble in the lane. I've seen at least three missed walks.

And right as I go to post this, they call one on Wichita St.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #3833
bob
College Starter

Quote:

I've heard lots of people that don't believe he wanted to fire the coach but wasn't allowed to, but I don't think a lot of people know what it is like to work at an extremely large company or for the government. My lead QA was recently cursed at by one of his subordinates, who then went on to say he wouldn't do anything the lead QA told him to do. All we could do was write a note to his file - we were told we couldn't even bring it up on his review. Large companies are terrified to be sued.

I think the only reason my lead QA stuck around is that he's getting married in June and its tough to change jobs and ask for two weeks of PTO right away. I won't be surprised if he leaves soon once he's back, and there really is nothing i can do.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #3834
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I've heard lots of people that don't believe he wanted to fire the coach but wasn't allowed to, but I don't think a lot of people know what it is like to work at an extremely large company or for the government. My lead QA was recently cursed at by one of his subordinates, who then went on to say he wouldn't do anything the lead QA told him to do. All we could do was write a note to his file - we were told we couldn't even bring it up on his review. Large companies are terrified to be sued.

I think the only reason my lead QA stuck around is that he's getting married in June and its tough to change jobs and ask for two weeks of PTO right away. I won't be surprised if he leaves soon once he's back, and there really is nothing i can do.
If he partnered with HR and the original outcome was the result, then he should be fine getting a new job. They are like that at my job as well. I have people that have been asked multiple times to do certain things a certain way and they simply won't do it but it is a nightmare trying to get rid of them because of the red tape HR puts in place.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #3835
duckman
Pro Starter

Terrible basketball being played. It's sad how bad college basketball has become.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #3836
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Those statements are pretty silly sometimes.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #3837
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
If he partnered with HR and the original outcome was the result, then he should be fine getting a new job.

Trust me, HR policy was the problem, not me or my boss.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #3838
kingfc22
Head Coach

Louisville storming back. Should be one heck of a finish.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #3839
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yup - Pernetti was made the fall guy in this, and the administration knows it. I suspect we haven't seen the last of this fall out for all of this.

This probably is it. Despite further outcry, the President is probably safe for now.

He was hired to complete the merger of Rutgers with UMDNJ so Rutgers will have a medical school. This will be done by 2014.

Governor Chris Christie was working with his BOG people and Barchi to get Pernetti to be the fall guy so his higher education "reform" would be finished.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #3840
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
If he partnered with HR and the original outcome was the result, then he should be fine getting a new job. They are like that at my job as well. I have people that have been asked multiple times to do certain things a certain way and they simply won't do it but it is a nightmare trying to get rid of them because of the red tape HR puts in place.

I think he's certain to land a new job. He has a huge background in television (helped form the CBS College Football Network or whatever it's called) and was up for Big East commissioner a few years ago until he said he wasn't interested.

He'll land on his feet, either in TV or with another school, and be a success.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3841
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Too bad, Wichita State.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #3842
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I was thinking last night that Catholic 7 (new Big East) might target Pernetti for their Commish job, since they'll need one.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #3843
Jon
High School Varsity

Now the big one for my bracket--Syracuse vs Michigan...
I can't believe I'm saying this, but go Orange!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #3844
bob
College Starter

That was a horribly quick jump ball call at the end.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #3845
Izulde
Head Coach

With Louisville's win, I'm now the sole first place person in 3 out of 4 scenarios in my money pool. Only scenario that sees me drop to third is if Michigan wins the whole thing, so come on 'Cuse! Let's make the championship game immaterial!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #3846
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think I feared Wichita State winning and playing Michigan more than Louisville. A 9 seed in the title game with no real prep time to face them. I still think Michigan matches up rather well against Louisville. Michigan shooting well against the Syracuse zone is my only real question in that game. It's either a Michigan win or a butt ugly Syracuse win.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #3847
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is anyone else's audio on CBS screwed up or do I need to like reboot my direct tv receiver?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #3848
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Is anyone else's audio on CBS screwed up or do I need to like reboot my direct tv receiver?

My CBS video was skipping a lot earlier tonight. Didn't know if it was the sprinkle of rain we're getting or what.. not sure if it's related to yours.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #3849
MJ4H
Coordinator

No I'm just getting this awful staticy hiss that is louder than any of the actual audio that is coming through, and it is only on that channel.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #3850
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I've complained about it many times in this thread but there is no reason for that game to go 33 minutes past it's intended end time. I hate the media timeouts and the extra long regular timeouts, too..