Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #351
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I realize in college football the SEC is king, but is there any logical reason why Weis, who has received plaudits for his work in the very same position with a successful 2010 NFL team (the Chiefs), would leave those Chiefs to make a lateral move back to college?

I think Weis is only leaving his coordinator spot for a head coach spot somewhere (college or pors, and probably not college; I don't think Weis enjoyed his college experience coaching).

I was trying to grab for ideas as well. I think being just the OC will help versus trying to take on the head job. He might have found out he likes dealing with universities and college kids versus the pros as well. But on the surface, this looks like something you would only do for a long time friend. It would be a great hire if they could get him though.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #352
Atocep
Coordinator

Pitt claimed the reason they went with Haywood over Holgorsen was because they wanted a man of character.

Former ND offensive coord, new Pitt coach Haywood arrested
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #353
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pitt claimed the reason they went with Haywood over Holgorsen was because they wanted a man of character.

Yep, he definitely has character.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So who will be the new head coach at Pitt? Unless there's pretty quick proof that he's falsely accused, I have to think this is a situation where you cut your losses & rapidly move to the next choice on your list.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #355
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So who will be the new head coach at Pitt? Unless there's pretty quick proof that he's falsely accused, I have to think this is a situation where you cut your losses & rapidly move to the next choice on your list.

Maybe they'll go with George O'Leary.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #356
General Mike
Pro Starter

RichRod 4 Pitt. Stick it to WVU for stealing Holgerson
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #357
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm really happy with the staff getting put together at Indiana. Kevin Wilson (Oklahoma) as head coach, Brent Pease (Boise State) as OC, Mike Ekeler (Nebraska) as Co-DC. Nice to see we're no longer raiding the MAC for coaches. I think Indiana should see some solid improvement in the next few years, as this staff is light years better than what we had under Bill Lynch. I actually feel a little hope for the the team now that we have some young, innovative guys with high energy on the sidelines.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-31-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #358
Atocep
Coordinator

Haywood fired.

It'll be interesting to see which direction they go in now. It leaked out not long after Wanny was "fired" that they were going cheap on a head coach and eventually settled on Haywood. They could decide this is such an embarrassment that they have to go out and make a splash now.

I'm nervous that eventually even Steve Pederson can get a hire right when given enough chances.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #359
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Haywood fired.

It'll be interesting to see which direction they go in now. It leaked out not long after Wanny was "fired" that they were going cheap on a head coach and eventually settled on Haywood. They could decide this is such an embarrassment that they have to go out and make a splash now.

I'm nervous that eventually even Steve Pederson can get a hire right when given enough chances.

No worries, Rich Rodriguez will be available this week.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #360
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
No worries, Rich Rodriguez will be available this week.

Rich has spent the last 2 years trying to repair the bridges he destroyed at WVU on the way out and has directly asked for his job back twice in the past 6 months.

He wants to get back to WVU at some point so I seriously doubt he's dumb enough to take the Pitt job.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #361
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No worries, Rich Rodriguez will be available tomorrow.

Fixed.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #362
cougarfreak
College Starter

I wonder if Pitt will go after Marvin Lewis........he'll be available by Tuesday I'd bet. He's from the area.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 01-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #363
Atocep
Coordinator

My initial guess would be they look at Paul Rhoads, Teryl Austin, and Sal Sunseri. I can't see Cignetti getting the job.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #364
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pitt is really taking a beating here.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #365
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

AP is reporting that Weis has accepted an offer to become Florida's OC.

Edit to add link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...r-at-florida/1

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #366
Swaggs
Coordinator

If Pitt was serious this time around, they would open up the purse strings and hire Kevin Sumlin immediately.

But, they are cheap and still on the hook for Wanny (had just signed an extension) and probably are going to have to give some type of payout to Haywood (to keep him from fighting it while/if his legal issues are being settled). I'm guessing they will end up with someone like Paul Pasqualoni or Tim Lewis.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-01-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #367
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If Pitt was serious this time around, they would open up the purse strings and hire Kevin Sumlin immediately.

But, they are cheap and still on the hook for Wanny (had just signed an extension) and probably are going to have to give some type of payout to Haywood (to keep him from fighting it while/if his legal issues are being settled). I'm guessing they will end up with someone like Paul Pasqualoni or Tim Lewis.

I hear Ralph Friedgen is available.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #368
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Fixed.

Don't we wish? I will be ecstatic the day that assclown is booted out of Ann Arbor.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #369
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I hear Ralph Friedgen is available.

That may be changing sooner rather than later.
I understand he is deep into talks to serve a 2 year stint (guaranteed no more no less) as OC for another ACC school.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #370
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wonder what kind of settlement Haywood gets to get the boot. What an embarrassment for everyone involved.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-02-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #371
MrBug708
Head Coach

Has there ever been a college coach as in demand as Jim Harbaugh? He could take the 49ers, Broncos, or the Panthers job as well as Michigan. Shoot, he could have had the Florida or the Miami job if he had really wanted it.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #372
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Has there ever been a college coach as in demand as Jim Harbaugh? He could take the 49ers, Broncos, or the Panthers job as well as Michigan. Shoot, he could have had the Florida or the Miami job if he had really wanted it.

The Michigan Scout & Rivals sites are insinuating Harbaugh will be named Michigan's coach by the end of the week. I don't really buy it but we shall see.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #373
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like Randy Edsall is going to Maryland according to a bunch of different sources.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #374
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh wow. I guess maybe the BCS loss and TCU coming the league makes him realize they're not going to fluke into a BCS game again anytime soon.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #375
Logan
Head Coach

Okay, I apologize to HiFi...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #376
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kind of a surprise, if true.

I can understand striking while the iron is hot (from Edsall's standpoint if he gets a nice raise), but this doesn't sound like a good marriage to me.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #377
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Oh wow. I guess maybe the BCS loss and TCU coming the league makes him realize they're not going to fluke into a BCS game again anytime soon.

Not sure--He's looked around every year, and has done a really good job spinning the times he has been passed over for a new gig as his own decision to stay at UConn. Gotta be tough being the third banana in an athletic department (hard enough for the UNC and Kentucky football coaches to be #2).
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #378
Swaggs
Coordinator

Randomly throwing this out there, but I wonder if Tom Coughlin would be interested in the UConn gig (if gets the axe this season).
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #379
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Randomly throwing this out there, but I wonder if Tom Coughlin would be interested in the UConn gig (if gets the axe this season).

He's pretty old. I know he's the oldest head coach in the NFL right now
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #380
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Some college program should give Mike Singletary a look. I know he didn't work out so well for the Niners, but the college game is different and he's probably a better fit at the college level.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #381
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't think Singletary would be a very good college coach. Not diplomatic enough, not a game manager and the college job these days is really the gig of a CEO and I think his shtick wouldn't work well in a college game as well as it does in the pros.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #382
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think Singletary would be a very good college coach. Not diplomatic enough, not a game manager and the college job these days is really the gig of a CEO and I think his shtick wouldn't work well in a college game as well as it does in the pros.

Agreed. He's a position coach personality, ala Trooper Taylor (among many example).
Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #383
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Big ole +1.
I can't see Singletary going on the banquet circuit kissing 70 year old ass and begging for cash. And if he cant do that, then cant coach college.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #384
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wonder if Randy Shannon will get any looks by programs for jobs. I don't think he's a very good game manager either, but he can recruit well, graduates players and if the U wasn't delusional about their place in the modern college football landscape, he'd have remained there.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #385
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Wonder if Randy Shannon will get any looks by programs for jobs. I don't think he's a very good game manager either, but he can recruit well, graduates players and if the U wasn't delusional about their place in the modern college football landscape, he'd have remained there.

I would say that Miami is probably the only school in America who would have given Randy Shannon a head coaching job when he got one. While Randy has an impressive story, he is not an impressive story teller. He is not very good in interviews and tends to be very direct to a fault. He is not one to BS anyone. That plays well when you win, it sucks when you lose.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #386
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just realized that the Pitt AD is the same dude responsible for the Nebraska/Callahan debacle.

Good times.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #388
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
He's pretty old. I know he's the oldest head coach in the NFL right now

Coughlin could easily get another HC job if fired. Fired in an 10 win season? A Super Bowl ring for one team, and two AFC Championship Games for the other? Yeah, I think he could find a job in today's market in the NFL.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-02-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #389
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Ralph Friedgen > Randy Edsall. It's not even close. Under Armour better go SMU level dirty on the recruiting trail or it's going to be a bloodbath very soon.
The move makes no sense. Edsall is a safe option, he'll win you 8 games and that's it. But so would Friedgen. The only way the move to dump him made sense was if they were taking a shot with a guy like Leach who while risky, had a much higher upside.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #390
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Agreed. He's a position coach personality, ala Trooper Taylor (among many example).
Agreed. I guess the only exception would be maybe an FCS or D2 role where the novelty of playing for him would bring in some better recruits than normal.

He's best off just being a linebackers coach though on the NFL level.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #391
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
That may be changing sooner rather than later.
I understand he is deep into talks to serve a 2 year stint (guaranteed no more no less) as OC for another ACC school.

Clemson Assistants Napier, Powell Fired wltx.com | Columbia, SC News, Weather and Sports |

I'm not sayin'; I'm just sayin'

Oh the fat man ate steak (but no lobster) at dinner tonight.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #392
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Clemson Assistants Napier, Powell Fired wltx.com | Columbia, SC News, Weather and Sports |

I'm not sayin'; I'm just sayin'

Oh the fat man ate steak (but no lobster) at dinner tonight.

F*ck
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #393
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
F*ck

This response made me smile.
But dont fret yet, Tulsa OC Chad Morris is set to interview on Wednesday morning as well...he may be great but last year at this time he was guiding a Texas HS program.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #394
Atocep
Coordinator

Edsall reportedly didn't fly back with the team. Instead he flew directly to Baltimore and didn't bother to tell the team he had accepted the Maryland job.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_footb...ll-player.html

Quote:
Here's how a UConn freshman football player, who asked not to be identified, described how some members of the team learned of Randy Edsall's decision to go to Maryland and, what the former UConn coach said to them - and how.

No more than 25 players returned to Connecticut Sunday on the UConn charter. UConn is on break right now and many players scattered when they could. So he hadn't addressed everybody.

When the plane landed....

"We were on hold for a half-hour, with the operations manager telling us Edsall would be coming on in a few minutes. When Edsall came on he was like, "I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry I can't do this in person, but due to circumstances ... I just want to let you know that it's not because of you guys. But it's an opportunity for my family. ... I can move on feeling like I've accomplished things here and I'm leaving the program in a good way."

"A couple of coaches said that was BS. ... They didn't know about it. He hadn't told any of us.

"It really pisses me off because he made Jordan (Todman) address the team last night to say he was leaving. And he isn't man enough to do it face to face to us?"

"A lot of people were just really upset by the call. He made Todman get up and tell the whole team: 'Jordan, I think you have something to say to these guys.' He made him do it face-to-face. But he didn't do it face-to-face."

"I'm going to look [at other schools], not Big East or anything. ... When you bring in a new coach, the first three or four years [it's all developing the program)]. But these are Edsall's players, not the new guy's. ... Well, I'm going to get the --- out of here. But what happens with the incoming recruiting class? Are those guys still coming?

"The thing I'm concerned with is, am I going to get my release."
The player said they had seen Edsall this morning at the hotel. "He could have told us then, face-to-face.

According to the player, Edsall also said on the call: 'Guys, this just happened. It was a spur of the moment thing. I had no idea."

I'm hearing now that Edsall was in contract negotiations with Maryland last week...

Peace,
DC

Last edited by Atocep : 01-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #395
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The move makes no sense. Edsall is a safe option, he'll win you 8 games and that's it. But so would Friedgen. The only way the move to dump him made sense was if they were taking a shot with a guy like Leach who while risky, had a much higher upside.

I don't see it is a bad move, but it isn't a good one either. Really, it is just a "meh" move for Maryland, and a good move for Edsall. Three years from now he will either be the toast of the Terps or looking for employment.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #396
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't see it is a bad move, but it isn't a good one either. Really, it is just a "meh" move for Maryland, and a good move for Edsall. Three years from now he will either be the toast of the Terps or looking for employment.

UConn spends more money on football than Maryland. It's an odd move. I don't think he went to a job that's really any better or any worse than what he had at UConn.

From what's been reported a big part of this was because Edsall and the current AD do not get along at all.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #397
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
From what's been reported a big part of this was because Edsall and the current AD do not get along at all.

Looks like the same thing happened at Maryland. I agree it is probably a lateral move for both Maryland and Edsall, but doesn't he at least get a somewhat better recruiting location?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #398
Atocep
Coordinator

Better recruiting area? Yes. He's not much of a recruiter though so he'll have to bring in assistants that can recruit.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #399
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Once again, college coaches prove themselves to be douchebags. That's an awful way to treat the kids.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote